Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-27-2011, 01:27 PM   #1
CateP

Default What About Bristol?

Am I leaving the geographic area of interest of the forum by asking about Bristol? If so please feel free to delete this post Don.

If not, can anyone tell me about the year-round experience of the town? We're going to go visit in a couple of weeks, but just wondered if anyone knew about the good, the great, the not so good.

When I went to New Hampton we went to Bristol to get beer. (seniors gone awry). I haven't been there since. My memory was that it seemed a little like an old manufacturing town that never revitalized. I know there is a downtown and main street. Also curious about how we may be received as a same-sex couple.

Thanks in advance for your opinions and observations.
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:27 PM   #2
songkrai

"Am I leaving the geographic area of interest of the forum by asking about Bristol? "

Well, you might be. But I do hope others chime in.

Bristol is indeed an old New Hampshire Mill town. As were many along the rivers. Times change. Industry moves on. Some of the most beautiful architecture is these old mills. Granted, just an opinion.

Bristol is on one of the major routes getting to and fro to Darthmouth Hitchcock Hospital and the Department of Veterans Affairs Hospital in White River Junction, VT.

Bristol does have it's own lake. Newfound lake. A large lake. But just not the big name of Winnipesaukee. And a nice lake.

Bristol has a nice Hannaford's grocery market - formerly Cricenti's.

A nice old New Hamshire Mill town. With amenities in every direction. Plymouth and Plymouth state to north. A lake. DH hospital to west. Concord to south. And the Lakes Region to east. With route 93 not far - and drive thru a few towns and you will bump into route 89.

I don't know anything about the taxes in Bristol. Others can chime in on that.

I am sure you will be welcome in any town, city, or hamlet you ultimately choose.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:33 PM   #3
djwoodward

A mill town? Well perhaps at one time but there's hardly a remnant of the mills that once depended on the river for their power. Today and probably for the last 75-100 years Bristol has relied more heavily on Newfound Lake to bring in the tourist trade. Like many small towns around Winni our summer population swells tremendously around Memorial Day and we roll-up the sidewalks after Columbus Day :-)

Yes, we're proud of Newfound which is much smaller than Winni but still the third largest lake in NH. It's also reported to be one of the cleanest lakes in the country because of the rapid turn-over.

Although it’s a small town, Bristol serves as the commercial hub and the center of the school district for about seven area towns. We have the necessities and a restaurant or two to enjoy but life’s probably a bit slower paced then some of the hot spots around the big lake. We do have plenty of nature though with access to the lake and nearby Mt. Cardigan.

One point that was mentioned in your earlier posts was access to I93. There we have an advantage. Bristol is only about 5 miles west of exit 23 so travels south to MA or north to the White Mountains is easy. As mentioned above already, we are also situated on Route 104 which is a significant NH east-west route making travel to Meredith/Laconia and to the Dartmouth/Upper Valley easy.

All in all it’s not a bad place to be located.

To your last point...
I believe you would be as welcomed in Bristol as you would in any other town in the area.

Last edited by djwoodward; 03-01-2011 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Edit to Add - Oops, yes exit 23 not 93
djwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:26 AM   #4
trfour

Default Please Correct Me If I'm Wrong...

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwoodward View Post
exit 93
Wouldn't that be exit 23 off of rte I 93??
Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:34 AM   #5
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by trfour View Post
Wouldn't that be exit 23 off of rte I 93??
Terry
Winnisquamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2011, 01:02 PM   #6
JasonG

My in laws have a place on a lake up there and I have visited several times over the years during all 4 season.

It is a great place to relax any time of year. Very calm. Even Newfound Lake is on the lighter side of boat and beach traffic vs Winni. It is a good solid 30 minute drive from 93 to get to the lake and maybe 20 to the center of town from 93 too. Nice, clean, lots of town pride, etc.

You need be able to enjoy the quiet side of things and expect a LONG drive for any big box or even anything close to big box stores.

There isnt a hell of a lot to do up there especially in the off season. If you want nice and quiet local small New England, it isnt a bad choice. To quiet for me year round, especially with kids.
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:07 PM   #7
jkjoshuatree

Talking I Love Bristol!

And Newfound Lake. My grandparents used to rent there before we got our place on Bear Island.

Very quiet, quaint, and nice.

I've also read that Newfound lake is THE cleanest lake in the country, followed by Merrymeeting at number two.

They have some beautiful waterfront property too that isn't half as much as Winnipesaukee.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:47 PM   #8
djwoodward

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonG View Post
It is a good solid 30 minute drive from 93 to get to the lake and maybe 20 to the center of town from 93 too.
It's only ~5 miles from 93 to the center of Bristol and another 2 miles to the lake so it shouldn't take you a half hour from the highway.

I live about a half mile south of the lake, we can be in Tilton in <30 minutes which is where we do our major shopping Market Basket, Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, Staples etc. In about ~45 minutes we can be in Concord for the rest of the big box stores. 45 minutes the other way and we can be well into the White Mountains probably almost to Fraconia notch or at least Waterville Valley.

Last edited by djwoodward; 03-01-2011 at 12:55 PM. Reason: eta
Old 03-01-2011, 05:09 PM   #9
CateP

Quote:
It's only ~5 miles from 93 to the center of Bristol and another 2 miles to the lake so it shouldn't take you a half hour from the highway.

I live about a half mile south of the lake, we can be in Tilton in <30 minutes which is where we do our major shopping Market Basket, Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, Staples etc. In about ~45 minutes we can be in Concord for the rest of the big box stores. 45 minutes the other way and we can be well into the White Mountains probably almost to Fraconia notch or at least Waterville Valley.
DJ Woodward,
Since you are a current resident, could you recommend places we should visit in Bristol to get a sense of the area? Is there a lunch place where locals hang out?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:31 PM   #10
Jmo77011

Default Bristol Vet

The best thing about Bristol is their veterinarian! Amazing vets and staff! Try the Homestead for lunch.
Jmo77011 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jmo77011 For This Useful Post:
CateP (03-02-2011)
Old 03-01-2011, 06:48 PM   #11
trfour

Default Hi CateP...

Welcome! I just wanted to point out that The Homestead Restaurant right there on Route 104 between I-93 and Bristol is one of the very best in the Lakes Region! You need to try it out, where ever you decide to buy!

http://www.homesteadnh.com/dinner/

Best wishes and good luck
Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html

Last edited by trfour; 03-04-2011 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Add website with menus
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trfour For This Useful Post:
CateP (03-02-2011)
Old 03-02-2011, 12:06 PM   #12
djwoodward

Unfortunately the Homestead doesn't serve lunch in Bristol. It has a great dinner menu and a fine brunch on Sundays though.

Kathleen's Cottage is a small Irish Pub formerly known as Cu Na Mara. It's located just outside the center of town, north on Lake Street, just past our only traffic light on the right . It was formerly located at the foot of Newfound Lake. They serve lunch Wed-Sun

And in the center of town there's the Sidewalk Cafe (I think that's still the name I think they changed ownership though).

There are also a couple of Pizza places in the area and a diner downtown but I'd suggest one of the places above.
The Following User Says Thank You to djwoodward For This Useful Post:
CateP (03-02-2011)
Old 03-02-2011, 12:29 PM   #13
djwoodward

Default Seeing the area.

I didn't answer your other question...

Above, I mentioned that Bristol is the commercial hub for seven towns. Although it's the center of activity it's the smallest in acerage I believe. Any visit to Bristol will actually have to be a visit to some of those surrounding towns too.

Of course you need to check-out the lake. If you drive north from the center of town about 2 miles you can turn left on West Shore Road (yellow blinking light at church). In about another 1.5 miles West Shore Road turns to the right. After that turn, if you generally continue to bear right at the major intersections you can circle the lake in an 18 mile loop. You'll pass through parts of Hebron and Bridgewater too on this route.

If you don't make the 2nd West Shore Road turn you'll head into the small village of Alexandria. Both Hebron and Alexandria are classic New England villages with white clapboard houses and churches in the center of town. As you head out to Alexandria you'll see Mount Cardigan too.

If you turn left at the traffic light in downtown Bristol (Route 104 west) you'll see the only industry in town about a mile outside of the village (Freudenberg-NOK). Across from that is the local food store a small Shop&Save. It's fine for picking up the daily necessities but as I said before we usually head to Tilton (south on 93) for major shopping. Continuing past this store will lead you to Danbury where Ragged Mountian ski area is located (<10 miles from Bristol).

A little later in the spring I would reccomend an excursion to the southern end of Bristol to Profile Falls or "Old Hill Village" which are great places to hike along the Pemigewasset River but this time of year is not the best for that.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

Last edited by djwoodward; 03-02-2011 at 01:28 PM. Reason: errant word
The Following User Says Thank You to djwoodward For This Useful Post:
CateP (03-02-2011)
Old 03-02-2011, 12:32 PM   #14
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow Bristol

Bristol is part of New Hampshire's Lakes Region, therefore legal to discuss here on the Forum.

Map of NH Lakes Region
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:52 PM   #15
LakesRegionSpirit

Default Don't miss....

The Mill Fudge Factory...www.themillfudgefactory.com/
www.LakesRegionSpirit.com
LakesRegionSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:11 PM   #16
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakesRegionSpirit View Post
The Mill Fudge Factory...www.themillfudgefactory.com/
This was a very dangerous thing to let me know about.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:51 PM   #17
djwoodward

Quote:
And in the center of town there's the Sidewalk Cafe (I think that's still the name I think they changed ownership though).
Actually it's called Gina's Place now
Old 03-02-2011, 07:59 PM   #18
songkrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal View Post
Bristol is part of New Hampshire's Lakes Region, therefore legal to discuss here on the Forum.

Map of NH Lakes Region
A map of the Lakes Region. Thanks.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:52 AM   #19
SIKSUKR

And while looping around the lake by Hebron, go to the next town of Groton and check out Sculpured Rocks scenic area. Pretty cool river formed round holes in the granite that looked like somebody bored then with a giant holesaw.
CateP (03-04-2011)
Old 03-04-2011, 04:13 PM   #20
NBR

Default Bristol

The Bristol Diner is also very good. hamburgers are best in the lakes region and an imaginative list of daly specials. Gilly's is also a local place. Gilly's is on 3A north and the Diner is on 3A south just past the river. I haven't been in The Sidewalk Cafe since the new owners opened with a new name.

Another great place is Rossi's just east of I93 in New Hampton. Great italian food. Dinner only except maybe on Sunday and open Wed thru Sun. We discovered Rossi' after yeqars of driving past and it has become one of or our number one place for dinner.
NBR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NBR For This Useful Post:
CateP (03-04-2011), Old Hubbard Rd (10-25-2014)