Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-14-2009, 07:47 PM   #1
luvmypups

Thumbs up Castle In The Clouds - Open for lunch

Is everyone aware that Castle In The Clouds is open for lunch now? Right now they are open Saturdays and Sundays,soon to be week days too. I went for lunch opening weekend and they had a great menu! My meal was great at a great price. To top it off, the view is priceless and you dont have to pay the castle admission fee just to go eat lunch. I will be going back !!
luvmypups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:45 PM   #2
nkiar

thanks for the update. We love visiting the castle and one of the first threads I read on this forum a few weeks ago was about how they now have a restaurant. Can't wait to try it out- maybe this weekend! nkiar
nkiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:31 AM   #3
patman

I took the family out for lunch at the castle a week ago Sunday, and was expecting glorified cafeteria food. I was really pleasantly surprised to find it was much MUCH better than that. I had "Chef William's roast beef sandwich" with a salad, which was quite good, and large enough that I didn't finish it. The kids got a burger and chicken fingers, and my wife had the fish and chips. We got an order of onion rings too. The onion rings were delicious, and the portion was HUGE. I'm not doing the menu justice though, as it's definitely more than just burgers and fried food. All of the food was done as ordered, it was very good, and the service was prompt. It was threatening rain, but we ate outside on the patio anyway, as did 4 or 5 other tables of customers. A shade on the spendy side for a regular visit, but very good food, and you can't beat the view.

Just tell them at the front gate that you're going for lunch, and you don't get charged admission. (I forgot how long of a drive it is up that way, it's faster to go up the bottling plant route to the parking area if you want to skip that bit.)
patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:33 PM   #4
DJS-Laconia

Default Great Experience - - - Mothers Day Brunch

Hi All,

I saw this thread pop up and I had to comment.

The Mothers Day Brunch was perfect. My Mom Loved it. The food was remarkable. They had great items from fish with a lobster sauce to Marinated and cooked to perfection steak tips. The setup and presentation of the meal was perfect. I have done the Mothers Day Cruise on the Mount Washington Cruise line and it was IHOP compared to the items on the brunch at the castle. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I am sure someone could tell you all the items on the buffet if you wanted or it may be on the website still. Now, to the resturant. I have not eaten there yet but I will be. The same chef that does the functions also runs the menu at the restaurant.

Very good Food, Cool Atmosphere...Have Fun
DJS-Laconia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:30 PM   #5
Lucky2Bhere

The food at the Castle is good to very good. Better than it has to be for the location and view. The price is also a very good value. We brought friends up the other day and they were wowed by the experience even after world class travel to Alaska, the Galopagos Islands, Ireland, Hong Kong, etc. It's simply amazing and we're lucky to have it. Don't eat inside (even though the booths are converted horse stables and really neat). You don't have to visit the castle to go to the cafe.....no entry fee has to be paid.
Lucky2Bhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2009, 06:12 AM   #6
ApS

Cool Carpe Weatherum...(Pick Your Weather)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky2Bhere View Post
"...The food at the Castle is good to very good. Better than it has to be for the location and view..."
Well said: It is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmypups View Post
"...To top it off, the view is priceless and you don't have to pay the castle admission fee just to go eat lunch..."
Website and more information from last season's success here:
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ghlight=castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by patman
"...it's faster to go up the bottling plant route to the parking area if you want to skip that bit..."
You can drive speedier, but you'll miss two turnoffs for viewing the Lake and visiting the waterfall. (That waterfall once drove the Castle's generator).

Even though "speedier", a one-way road at the end means you have to stop well-short of the restaurant. A longish uphill hike remains to get to the restaurant. ("Longish" as restaurant parking access usually goes).

When departing, don't miss the restaurant's gift shop—also worth a stop: Then don't forget to feed the rainbow trout. Food pellets for the trout are provided in small bubblegum-style dispensers at the fish pond.

For some harmless fun, aim the pellets between the oversized trout that cruise just below the surface and those mallard-opportunists that elbow their way in ahead of the trout. (Mallards have this embarrassed way of expressing "Ooops!" )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky2Bhere View Post
"...Don't eat inside (even though the booths are converted horse stables and really neat)..."
We had the weather change on us: sunny for lunch, then light rain during dessert—with no clouds in sight! After advising our waitress, we moved inside—and inside is neat. It helps to know horse behavior as to why each stall is built the way it is. (Note the location and design of the windows, for example).

The relatively high elevation can make its own weather.

Like boating on the lake, I'd select a visiting day for fair weather and to bring clothing for possible changes in the weather.
Waterbaby (06-10-2009)
Old 07-03-2009, 07:34 AM   #7
ronc4424

Default No charge to visit Cafe

HI Ron,
Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding the Castle in the Clouds
No, there is no fee if you are dinning at the Castle Café
When you arrive at the Front Gate House let them know that you are coming up
for lunch.
It is possible to purchase a Castle tour ticket at the Bar if you happen to
change your mind once you arrive at the Carriage House
Thanks
Jess

Here's some info I recieved from the Castle in the Clouds this morning. After reading this forum I thought what a great treat to take the wife for lunch there, but didn't want to pay an entrance fee. I sent them a email last night and they quick to respond. We are going to try it out if and when the sun comes out longer than 2 hours.
ronc4424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 11:28 AM   #8
patman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
You can drive speedier, but you'll miss two turnoffs for viewing the Lake and visiting the waterfall. (That waterfall once drove the Castle's generator).

Even though "speedier", a one-way road at the end means you have to stop well-short of the restaurant. A longish uphill hike remains to get to the restaurant. ("Longish" as restaurant parking access usually goes).
Yes, going the bottling plant route skips all the vistas, definitely something to take into consideration. If you *really* want to see waterfalls though, park at the carriage house dirt lot and walk towards the fields, then catch the Falls Trail from there. (Technically you should park outside the gate if you're only there for hiking though.) The trail goes down along the stream, and there are 6 (?) falls along the way, finishing up with the big one as a finale.

The road between the bottling plant and the carriage house is not one-way AFAIK. Or at least I've seen a LOT of cars driving that stretch. (It *is* one way between the carriage house and the main gate however.)
patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:57 AM   #9
hazelnut

Thumbs up Castle Lunch Story

Once again thanks to this forum I had very good information and used it wisely yesterday.

My family went to the Classic Car Show at the Castle yesterday. It was AWESOME! The only down side was the lack of ample porta potties and the long line at the food tent.

They were running the trolley from the field for Castle Tours. I asked the driver if he'd drop us off at the restaurant. He did and WOW what a great lunch!!!!! Thank you to those who posted the information here. I saw the restaurant last year when we did the Castle Tour and I thought "how good could it be?" Well thanks to the forum we knew better. My lunch was awesome as was my wife 3 kids and in-laws. I had a Grilled Chicken Cesar salad. The Chicken was two large chicken tenderloins wrapped in BACON!!! My wife had some crazy sandwich with ham turkey swiss and dill sauce. Mother in law had huge seafood stuffed mushrooms. Two of the kids had the requisite Grilled Cheese/hot dog but the more adventurous one had the Fishamjig. I tasted this and it was AWESOME! I was jealous of my 5 year olds lunch! It was basically fried haddock but the batter was the best I've ever tasted, no kidding! The food was great and the view was FANTASTIC!!!!! We sat on the patio enjoying our Corona's with the absolute best view, hands down in the lakes region, or New Hampshire, for that matter. What restaurant can boast a view of practically the whole lake? Well worth the trip and well worth the price!
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hazelnut For This Useful Post:
EricP (07-12-2009)
Old 08-03-2009, 09:20 AM   #10
ApS

Default Boating, Summer Haze, and Some Great Food...

While out searching for some sailing wind—and based on an extended four-hour morning sail—the haze was not going to dissipate and was going to interfere with the great view at the Castle restaurant. Along about 1 PM, we decided to have a late lunch at Castle in The Clouds anyway. We were seated right away and the service continued to be tops.

Like our final trip there last year, we'd hoped to see Vermont's mountains from there.

As it was still hazy, viewers could only discern Rattlesnake Island as the "furtherest" point on the horizon. Even at that altitude, the weather turned very calm, increased to hot—then much later, drizzly—then thundery. We were fortunate in having been seated at a table with ample shade from some nearby tall pines. At the next hot day there, we'll definitely be looking for that shade.

The side dish of onion rings weren't hot, weren't home-made, and weren't particularly tasty: While they were otherwise "acceptable", I'd opt for something else as a side dish.

A meal of grilled shrimp, scallops (plus potatoes, asparagus, peppers), arrived on a sizzling platter that—anywhere else—would have been regarded as a fire hazard. It was definitely the "star attraction" of that lunch.

As the self-appointed and resident-expert on the Lakes Region's baked haddock meal, I tried Castle-in-the-Clouds entree of baked haddock for the first time.

It was delicious, and I'm calling it 5-stars—the best in the Lakes Region—Eastern Division. (Trumping the Lakeview Inn [4½-stars], and even Johnson's [4½-stars]—though Johnson's have their usual-best in quantity).

My raves didn't go unnoticed by my table partner, and the following day she prepared an even better serving of baked haddock, based on what we learned (and copied) from our Castle in the Clouds lunch.

Our fresh haddock was found—very late in the day—at Wolfeboro's "Mill Street Meat Market" which, surprisingly, stays open most days until 7PM.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:40 AM   #11
ApS

Wink A Clear Day is Best...

Medium-Hazy view from the Castle with Rattlesnake Island in the distance:
Attached Images

Old 08-09-2009, 07:34 PM   #12
Rag Top Daze

Default Will you share?

Quote:
My raves didn't go unnoticed by my table partner, and the following day she prepared an even better serving of baked haddock, based on what we learned (and copied) from our Castle in the Clouds lunch.
I'm a sucker for good haddock. Will you share what you learned at your Castle in the Clouds lunch? I'm always looking for ways to improve my methods of preparing haddock.

I live for a rag top day
Rag Top Daze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:39 PM   #13
hazelnut

Quote:
As the self-appointed and resident-expert on the Lakes Region's baked haddock meal, I tried Castle-in-the-Clouds entree of baked haddock for the first time.

It was delicious, and I'm calling it 5-stars—the best in the Lakes Region—Eastern Division. (Trumping the Lakeview Inn [4½-stars], and even Johnson's [4½-stars]—though Johnson's have their usual-best in quantity).

Seriously agree! My son had it when we were there as I said and I was shocked at how good it was. Our day up there featured a much less hazy atmosphere and allowed a spectacular view. Your view wasn't half bad though.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:24 PM   #14
Bluebell

Default Castle

Thank you, forum members, for all of the reviews. We are having friends visit tomorrow afternoon and want to take them out to lunch. This sounds great. Good food, great view . . . . life is good.
Bluebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 02:17 PM   #15
ApS

Talking Sharing? Of course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rag Top Daze View Post
I'm a sucker for good haddock. Will you share what you learned at your Castle in the Clouds lunch? I'm always looking for ways to improve my methods of preparing haddock.
Thanks go to Susan (07/30/2009), and here it goes:

Grease baking pan with butter
Cover bottom with minced onion
Place white fish filets in pan
Spread butter on fish
Sprinkle with paprika
Pour ½-1 cup of milk into pan
Top with crushed corn flakes
Bake at 325° until fish flakes and is no longer translucent
20 minutes for 1" thick
30 minutes for 2" thick
35 minutes for 3" thick

Enjoy!!!

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
Pineedles (08-30-2009), Rag Top Daze (08-30-2009), SIKSUKR (08-31-2009)
Old 08-31-2009, 06:50 AM   #16
riverat

Default Yum

Could this be the beginnings of a "Lake Winni" favorite Recipe Thread?
I think it would be a delicious idea!
Jonas Pilot (08-31-2009)
Old 08-31-2009, 09:54 AM   #17
joann721

Thumbs up Lunch at the Castle

Yesterday we were out for a motorcycle ride when we approached the Castle in the Clouds. I wanted to go up for lunch on the patio but my husband said that we would have to buy tickets to go up the road. "I" from reading the forum knew that we did not have to buy tickets ... we bet lunch on it... I won. View was gorgeous - lunch was reasonable and delicious... I think I just found a new favorite place...

Frustration is trying to find my glasses without my glasses.
joann721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:47 AM   #18
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts
Default Great Idea

We are going to jump on the bikes and have lunch up there in a few minutes.... will report back later!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:55 AM   #19
riverat

We also went up on the bike yesterday for lunch on the last minute idea only to find we were 5 minutes too late, oh well it was a nice day for a ride.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:38 PM   #20
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts
Default Excellent

We had a great meal up there. The only problem was that the bees were just as hungry! So we enjoyed drinks on the patio and enjoyed the stunning views then ate in the converted stables (somewhat fitting for me).

There were raves about the tomato and mozzarella sandwich. I had a burger, cooked as ordered and very good. The service was fast and efficient too.

For those riding their bikes, the truck road is freshly paved and could be used to go up as well I would think.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 03:26 PM   #21
Winnicandle

I had their salad recently (cranberry, walnut, etc..)

Very Good!

We love visiting there often. Always such friendly people.

Kids love feeding the fish also...
Winnicandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:16 AM   #22
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by joann721 View Post
Yesterday we were out for a motorcycle ride when we approached the Castle in the Clouds. I wanted to go up for lunch on the patio but my husband said that we would have to buy tickets to go up the road. "I" from reading the forum knew that we did not have to buy tickets ... we bet lunch on it... I won. View was gorgeous - lunch was reasonable and delicious... I think I just found a new favorite place...
You cheated.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:27 AM   #23
Billd72

Default Castle in the Clouds

We went to Jazz Night several weeks ago and had a very nice time. The food was excellent and reasonably priced. The only problem we had was the very slow service.
Billd72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 03:36 PM   #24
joann721

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
You cheated.
I didnt cheat... I just used knowledge to my strategic advantage.

Frustration is trying to find my glasses without my glasses.
joann721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:25 AM   #25
Cristen

Thumbs up

Had a great lunch at Castle in the Clouds on Monday. The food was excellent (and reasonably priced), and of course the view is spectacular. Wish I had tried it sooner!
Cristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 04:01 PM   #26
martbri7

Default Big thumbs up to Cafe at Castle in Clouds

Took my Mom up to Castle in Clouds for a pre birthday lunch for her. What a great experience it was, the food was great the service was pleasant and went out of there way to take pictures for our "out of stater friends" some as far as Montana. We strolled through the gift shop which was small and relaxing no pressure here, we then drove to the trout pond and were blown away at the size of the Rainbows in this pond "they were easily 7+ pounders just staring at us as we threw some food for them." BTW there are gumball machines with trout food for them just be careful there is no closing on the machines so make sure your hand in under the tray and turn slowly and bring quarters. I splurged and took 3 quarters worth of food and threw it at one time, talk about hungry.... these trout looked like those pirahanas the way they rolled over the water attacking the poor ducks that were hanging out trying to get the scraps. It was a great day for Mom to spend time with her first born Happy Birthday Mom I Love You.

Oh yeah we did hit the Old Country Store and the pickles are now in barrels rather than the big glass container like back in the days.
martbri7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:42 PM   #27
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Without rereading this whole thread, has anyone said how long they will be open? Or does anyone know?
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:21 AM   #28
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Well, we went there yesterday for lunch for the first time and all I can say it WOW! It was fabulous. It was a spectacular day, we dressed warm and ate outside and the sun felt so good. The views of course were awesome and the food was teriffic! We were all very pleased, can't say enough good about it. And the funniest thing was our neighbors were also there and we didn't know they were going!
And I promise I won't keep posting over and over on almost every thread about how wonderful it was.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Bluebell (09-20-2009), Redsoxlover (09-20-2009)
Old 09-20-2009, 04:25 PM   #29
Lakepilot

We took the motorcycle for a ride today and stopped at Castle in the Clouds for a late lunch. What a beautiful day - you could see forever from the restaurant. I had the fish and chips and my wife had one of the daily specials -bacon wrapped scallops. The fish and chips was served english style with vinegar on the side. The fish was fresh and cooked perfect. The three large bacon wrapped scallops were awesome.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:41 PM   #30
ApS

Thumbs up Back Again...

Today, we followed three motorcycles up the carriage road in a huge (to me) RV! The gate recommended RVs of 24' go the other way to the restaurant.

Like Lakepilot, we had a perfectly clear day—but with no wind! (It was actually hot with no tree shade like back in July). It was so clear, it might have been possible to see someone on the Sandy Island beach!

Mountains, said to be in Vermont, were clearly visible.

The fish and chips was raved-about by a person who has had that meal all over the world. The jumbo shrimp were declared delicious and, at $13—tied with the scallops/bacon—were the most expensive thing on the menu.

The baked haddock, I'd previously left out, has much melted butter, a Ritz cracker breading, and arrived with a mixed leafy salad, balsamic dressing, walnuts, blue cheese, and some kind of sweet and tasty red raisins.

(Lunch is served 11:30 to 3:00).
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:14 AM   #31
dpg

When/do they close for the winter?
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:23 AM   #32
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow Fall Hours at the Castle

This fall, see the best of New Hampshire. Come up to the Castle!

Open 10:00 am to 4:30 pm every day through October 24, 2009

Cafe & patio hours: 11:30 am to 2:30 pm
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:44 PM   #33
luvmypups

Default Correction on the hours

not 11:30 to 2:30 the hours are 11:30 to 3:00
luvmypups is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to luvmypups For This Useful Post:
Meredith lady (09-24-2009)
Old 09-26-2009, 06:11 PM   #34
nkiar

Default Hidden Gem

Finally got up to the castle for lunch today. Wow- I'm just sorry we waited so late in the season to get there. The view was spectacular and the food was wonderful. We got there early and got a table outside and just enjoyed the view. I could have stayed there all day. An added bonus was the antique car rally that was taking place in the field near the parking area. There were probably over 100 cars in the field and we spent a half hour just roaming around looking at these cars and taking tons of pictures.
The castle is having a Fall Foliage event on 10/4 that sounded like fun.
Thanks to all for the recommendations- we had a great day. nkiar
nkiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 08:04 PM   #35
A Piece of Heaven

Thumbs up wonderful afternoon

nkiar, I agree with you completely, "why did I wait so long" It was an amazing afternoon--great view, good food and wonderful company (hubby). It doesn't get much better than that
A Piece of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:33 PM   #36
NoBozo

Default EXCELLENT..Totally

LAST WEEK: Have been coming up to the Lakes Region for the past 14 years and have always known of the "existance" of the "Castle in The Clouds" but never had any interest. I was bored one day last week...and another couple said lets go to the Castle in The Clouds: So we went.: FANTASTIC.

The weather was Perfect and we first had lunch on the Patio outside at the "Carriage House" which is below (Elevation wise) the "Castle". A perfect "Pastrami Sandwhich" for $7.99....and a nice glass of red wine...and good company. Can't beat that.

On top of that..an aerobatic demo above us by a P-51 Mustang Fighter (WWII) touring with the Collings Foundation B-17 and B-24 which were then departing Laconia for Manchester.

The Castle up at the top was just the icing on the cake. NB

We will be going back again next year..maybe twice during our two weeks. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote