Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #1
Airedale1

Thanked 1,569 Times in 274 Posts
Default Negative Article In Laconia Daily Sun

There was a front page article in yesterday's Laconia Daily Sun titled, “Laconia Parks Eyeing Restrictions on Metal Detectors and Golf Clubs.”

You can find the article online here: http://issuu.com/dailysun/docs/lds10-16-12 The article talks about metal detecting hobbyist in Laconia, digging holes and not filling them in our local parks and fields. It also talks about golfers practicing in the same areas and not replacing divots. The town is contemplating restrictions against both the MDers and the golfers.

I was quite troubled by this article as although I am not a golfer, I love the hobby of metal detecting and it pains me when I read about irresponsible individuals damaging property and the reputation of my hobby. I belong to the Granite State Treasure Hunters Club and we are an organization of hobbyist who all adhere to a strict code of ethics. Which states:

I Will respect private property and will not treasure hunt without the owner's permission.
•I Will Not destroy private property, buildings, or what is left of ghost towns and deserted structures.
•I Will Not litter and will pick up any trash that I dig up or find on the ground while treasure hunting.
•I Will leave gates as found.
•I Will Not contaminate wells, creeks, or other water supplies.
•I Will fill all excavations that are made while treasure hunting.
•I Will Not tamper with signs, structural facilities or equipment.
•I Will appreciate and protect our heritage of natural resources, wildlife, and private property.
•I Will use thoughtfulness, consideration and courtesy at all times.
•I Will protect my hobby, and always act as a goodwill ambassador

Like all ethical metal dectorist I especially pride myself in my skill and ability to dig a hole and leave absolutely no sign that the hole was ever dug. I do this by using a small Japanese garden tool called a Hori Hori to dig the hole and the plug of earth is then placed on a towel and then carefully put back. Over the years I have dug hundred of holes on my own lawn and we have a beautiful lawn with no trace of holes ever having been dug.

I find and permanently remove a lot more trash (rusty nails, aluminum pull tabs, hypodermic needles, etc.) then treasure. I love metal detecting. Each time I go on a hunt, to me it is like a history lesson, a treasure hunt, a nature encounter and Christmas morning all rolled into one.

I love finding old coins and to date my oldest find is an 1833 Large Cent. You can see an image of it below.

To me it is such a thrill to pull a coin from the ground that you know was held by someone else almost 30 years before the Civil War began. If you notice the coin looks hammered on all the edges. I have learned that children and adults back than would pitch coins against a curb or wall and the closest coins to the wall would win the other coins.
Altonbayicefishingfool (10-17-2012), DRH (10-19-2012), Jonas Pilot (10-17-2012), rander7823 (10-23-2012), Rattlesnake Gal (10-19-2012), SteveA (10-18-2012)
Old 10-17-2012, 01:54 PM   #2
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Letter to the Editor.

Although Kevin has good intent, perhap a letter to the Laconia Daily Sun of the above quoted will go a long way to educating the public.

As for golfing, I know of folks that lives off of Memorial Park that had windows broken by golf balls. There are golf courses for that!
Airedale1 (10-17-2012)
Old 10-17-2012, 02:24 PM   #3
RailroadJoe

Default pitching pennies

Airedale1 We pitched pennies when I was a kid way back when. I bet the kids still do in lower class areas. Back then a penny was worth something.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #4
SIKSUKR

Awesome penny! I can understand not allowing the parks to be damaged. Does this really put such a big clamp down on treasure hunting? Seems like the parks are a miniscule amount of area in comparison to what is not a public park. I could certainly see using metal detectors there anyway but not allowing digging holes to find lost metal items in grass and leaves.JMO.