Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-24-2005, 06:50 AM   #1
Lake Lady 6

Default Lago

Finally had the opportunity to try Lago in Meredith this past week. The food was very, very good. Our waitress was friendly and attentive as she could be (appeared they were shorthanded and it was very busy).
It was a little uncomfortable due to a problem with the A/C. We asked the waitress if it was possible to adjust the A/C and a gentleman (mgr.??) came right over and explained they were having problems and it should be fixed shortly. Apparently it couldn't be fixed as the restaurant was still uncomfortable when we left.
Would definitely return.

--------------------

Menu
Web Site
Lake Lady 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 04:58 PM   #2
BlackCatIslander

Default Lago

Unlike Lake Lady 6, our experience at Lago was not something that we enjoyed greatly. The atmosphere was nice. However, the pace of the meal was too fast for our liking and the ragu alla bolognese and the veal parm were just average and somewhat disappointing to my wife and I. Generally, we have been disappointed with the Common Man restaurants.
BlackCatIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 08:07 PM   #3
Seaplane Pilot

Lago is a nice atmosphere (as are most of the Common Man restaurants), but they do need to kick it up a notch. Not the greatest by any means.
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 11:51 PM   #4
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Common Man chain

I and colleagues also notice that the Common Man in Concord and Windham servings are not as good as prior years. Perhap Alex Ray is resting on his laurels??????
With the likes of Canoe, 51 Mill street, the New Fiske cafe and Mike Love's new venue, Alex has a long way to go.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:10 PM   #5
obie

Red face Lago

We had dinner at Lago recently and were quite dissapointed. Our waitress started trying to impress us that the Chef was from Rome, Italy. I think he might have lived there at one time but having been to Rome and having dined in the local Trattorias I don't think the Chef learned too much.

The pasta was over done and the tomato sauce (or gravy) must have come from a can. The "delicious" cannoli that our server recomended didn't taste like anything we had in Rome. The ricotta cheese filling couldn't compare with any you would get in New York City or Boston.

I think if I were the proprietor of Lago I wouldn't be advertising the fact that the chef was from Rome, Italy......what an embarrasment.
obie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2006, 01:49 PM   #6
Orion

Default missing The Boathouse Grille

Before it was Lago, it was The Boathouse Grille and my favorite dining spot on the Lake. To me, the Mediterranean atmosphere is forced and not fitting for the location. The food was not impressive and service average. Bring back The Boathouse Grille!
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 02:05 PM   #7
jkjoshuatree

Thumbs up I Like Lago...

I've eaten at the bar there twice and I thought it was great. The tomato and basil salad was very fresh and the calamari was outstanding.

Didn't get any entrees, but the appetizers and salad are definitely worth going back for.

Plus the sitting area outside (maybe while sipping a cocktail) is to die for. You can't get much closer to the lake without being in it.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:00 PM   #8
Winni P

Default Lago

We ate at Lago in July and had 4 great meals and appetizers. Our only complaint was that they closed too early - we were really enjoying our table outside and the full moon.
Winni P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 10:05 PM   #9
jetskier

Thumbs down Nope

We have tried Lagos a couple of times and have not been very impressed. The food was mediocre, at best. We have found that Fratellos is much more consistant and we patronize them frequently.

As I have said, the Common Man restaurants in Meredith have collectively become very dissapointing. I have sent an email to the company via their website and they appear disinterested. I am a firm believer in voting with my wallet. If a restaurant is good, I will patronize them. If they have an issue and fix it, I will give them another shot. If they are consistantly poor, then they deserve to go out of business. The market has become competitive.

I would suggest spending your money on a meal that is truly worth it. My current favorite is Lemon Grill...the food is wonderful, especially the deserts. Waldo Pepper has good food at a reasonable price and no one tries harder.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 01:09 AM   #10
Cookie

Default get it right

Hello do you mean lemon grass not grill??? The comman man is what it is but please if you feel to be like this jet man get it right on the resteraunt your tooting!
Cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 12:54 PM   #11
jetskier

Default Lemon Grass

Yes, it is Lemon Grass
Yes, it was a senior moment

Incidently, your message contains errant spelling and poor grammar. So, let's not throw stones here. :-)
Old 10-12-2006, 02:46 AM   #12
AltonBay54

Thumbs down No way

I've been to Lago and was not impressed at all. Over-priced by far. The mussels were totally bland, the sauce had absolutely no flavor. I also had the cannolli and am willing to bet it was a concoction of cream cheese and cool whip. A far cry from from the traditional ricotta.
AltonBay54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 10:56 PM   #13
Rinkerfam

Cookie,
It's easy to miss a key-stroke isn't it (comman as opposed to Common)? If you're going to call someone out, be sure to proof your work before you submit
Old 10-21-2006, 12:29 PM   #14
Kasey

Default Lago's

Although I enjoy the atmospher at Lago's (especially the bar), I think the food is less than mediocre and the menu is grandiose for the quality of the actual product. I wish they would hire a chef who could cook!
Kasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 05:30 PM   #15
jetskier

Talking Common Man - Common Food

I contacted the management at Common Man after our last horrible experience at the Camp. I suggested that they might want to monitor the comments here and take action accordingly. So far, they seem very uninterested in the comments of their patrons or the quality of their product. So, all you can do is vote with your wallet. I will spent my money elsewhere; there are a number of good quality restaurants in the lakes region so there is no excuse for a bad meal and uncaring management.

Jetskier
Old 10-21-2006, 07:29 PM   #16
Waterbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier
I contacted the management at Common Man after our last horrible experience at the Camp. I suggested that they might want to monitor the comments here and take action accordingly. So far, they seem very uninterested in the comments of their patrons or the quality of their product. So, all you can do is vote with your wallet. I will spent my money elsewhere; there are a number of good quality restaurants in the lakes region so there is no excuse for a bad meal and uncaring management.

Jetskier
Maybe that'll change somewhat once tourist season is really over....... after all, there's not much of a ski crowd in the Lakes Region like there is further up the highways and byways! Seems like their own wallets must be suffering after their expansions and improvements and general downtrend in quality.....(and no education needed on the multiple locations of CM restaurants, and how many years they've been in business..... thanks in advance from those who thought about commenting!)
Waterbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 04:12 PM   #17
Cristen

Default Lago in Meredith

Lago has the nicest view of the lake, and have a really nice outdoor seating area. The food is very good, and they've got a great bar as well.

For those of you who prefer to travel by water, they have a dock so you can tie up right in front of the restaurant.
Cristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 07:36 PM   #18
skisox24

Default Lage Delight

OK, let's face it. Unless you are in Paris, Rome, or New York City, the dining experience must transcend the quality of the presentation and preparation of the food itself. With that as a given, on a warm summer night, Lago can't be beat in the Lakes region.

The view in Meredith harbor is outstanding, and the wine list is very credible. Many of the wait staff (Aaron in particular) can be helpful in selecting a compatible wine to your dinner selection. The food is, admittedly, not exceptional, but it is not bad either. It is "common" Common Man fare. But in combination with the location on a superior summer evening, I will take that whole experience over many superior dining experiences that I have enjoyed in much more expensive big-city places.
skisox24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 11:45 PM   #19
michael c

Default To :skisox 24

It is difficult to argue with logic and you seemed to have hit the nail directly on the head ... Your take on Lagos is spot on and then you add Aaron, who knows his stuff,,add Hillary who is so personable and top that off with Laura Lynn and it is simply a nice place to call home ,,,before going home ...thanks to all you mention and more for providing the many of us a nice place to chill and relax .....Alex, you have a very nice group of people here and they deserve at least one " attaboy " .......thanks
mike
Old 07-16-2008, 06:52 AM   #20
Gatto Nero

Went to Lago by boat last night and had a great time. The atmosphere can't be beat, they have their own dock, last night they had live acoustic music, the food was very good, the service was well paced and the price was very reasonable. My wife and I shared a calamari, which we both loved. She had the chicken Marsala and couldn't stop raving about it. I had scallops with capers, which was also very good. We shared and a tiramisu, which I wasn't crazy about but I'm not a big desert lover. With all that and a bottle of wine the bill came to just under $80.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:38 AM   #21
NHDOLFAN

Default Lagos

I recently went to Lagos with a group of friends. I called ahead and was told the wait was minimal. When I arrived 20 minutes later, I was told that there was a 2 hour wait (5:30pm when I arrived). The hostess stated that a wedding party had just come in. As I scanned the room, there were alot of empty tables that could have easily accomodated my party. This is not the first time this has happened. I was very disappointed by the way the hostess and manager handled the situation. So, I ended going to Mame's for dinner with my friends. The food was not as good as Lagos but they were much friendlier. So, I have decided that my money can be better spent going to a restaurant that values your business. To bad Alex, you have lost a good customer that has spent a lot of $$$ at your establishments.
NHDOLFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:06 AM   #22
Don

We had dinner at Lago on Saturday night. We wanted to try Abondante but the wait was over an hour. Lago was also mostly full but they had a few empty tables and we were seated right away.

We started with a bottle of the house Chardonnay and fresh cooked bread which was great.

For dinner I had a Caesar salad and Cioppino and both were excellent. Cioppino is usually a seafood stew but this time it was served over pasta like a "Frutti di Mare" dish. The seafood and sauce were delicious and perfectly prepared. The salad was fresh and lightly dressed.

My wife had the Salmon special and was not as pleased as I was. Salmon is difficult to cook just right and her dish had been cooked a few minutes too long making it dry and without much flavor. It was served with plain green beans and my wife thought that we make the dish better at home.

The atmosphere and service were great and the waitress was right on top of things. The rustic look of the place was just right for an Italian restaurant and there was a festive atmosphere with lots of talking and laughing going on.

We were seated by the windows and I noticed that several women seated there had their winter coats on because it was so cold and drafty. We didn't wear our coats but it was still too cold. My advice would be to sit away from the windows unless they seal them better.

Overall we enjoyed it and agreed that we would go back. The prices were reasonable and great service often makes up for a few shortcomings.

Meredith was very busy for early November with weddings at Church Landing and lots of people around. All the restaurants seemed to be doing very well.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:06 AM   #23
Shore Driver

Your experience with Lago is not unique. It's a mixed bag for dinner, but a fun place to be with a lively atmosphere. I've always felt its best for a drink outside on the Adirondack chairs AFTER eating somewhere else
Shore Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:50 AM   #24
Gatto Nero

I've never had a bad meal there. The food has been consistently good, as has the service. The atmosphere is great and the view can't be beat. To top it all off I am constantly amazed at how reasonable the prices are. On more than one occasion I have gotten out of the for less than $80 for two, including a shared app & desert, two main courses, a decent bottle of wine and coffees.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:15 PM   #25
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDOLFAN View Post
I recently went to Lagos with a group of friends. I called ahead and was told the wait was minimal. When I arrived 20 minutes later, I was told that there was a 2 hour wait (5:30pm when I arrived). The hostess stated that a wedding party had just come in. As I scanned the room, there were alot of empty tables that could have easily accomodated my party. This is not the first time this has happened. I was very disappointed by the way the hostess and manager handled the situation. So, I ended going to Mame's for dinner with my friends. The food was not as good as Lagos but they were much friendlier. So, I have decided that my money can be better spent going to a restaurant that values your business. To bad Alex, you have lost a good customer that has spent a lot of $$$ at your establishments.
Before you make any judgements, just know this. Just because you saw empty tables does not mean that the restaurant could have handled your party at the time. Maybe they did not have enough staff to cover the whole dining room. The service would have been below your expectations.
Not a lot of restaurants practice this, especially the chain restaurants. The chains will just pack 'em in as long as there are empty tables. Olive Garden is, however, one exception.
sa meredith (11-11-2008)
Old 11-11-2008, 01:32 PM   #26
sa meredith

Default correct

How right you are Chip...
Any restaurant worth it's salt has a hostess that knows exactly how many people she/he can sit at a time in relation to how well they are staffed at that moment. Empty tables do not indicate available space.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote