Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-26-2023, 02:18 PM   #1
Y2K

Default Fireworks 2023

List of fireworks for 2023:

Forth of July displays:
https://www.wmur.com/article/new-ham...-2023/44225608

Weirs Beach displays:

Link including rain dates:
https://weirsbeach.com/fireworks/
Y2K is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Y2K For This Useful Post:
BrownstoneNorth (06-26-2023), LakeTimes (06-28-2023), Phantom (06-27-2023), Smith Point (07-04-2023)
Old 07-04-2023, 04:37 PM   #2
Garcia

Default Any updates?

Just wondering if anyone has any updates for fireworks tonight - any cancellations or are things gong off as planned? I am most interested in Center Harbor as that is where I plan to boat to - but may go elsewhere if they postpone.
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 04:42 PM   #3
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Wolfeboro is postponed until Fri.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
ApS (07-05-2023), pontoonbarge (07-04-2023)
Old 07-04-2023, 05:18 PM   #4
Smith Point

Default Last night

Last night there was a display of fireworks Overby the west alton Marina @ the sanbar that would rival Wolfeboros show!
Smith Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 10:21 PM   #5
Winilyme

Default Meredith Bummer

Just returned from the fireworks display in Meredith. Definitely a bummer and, sadly, the second year in a row that the display has felt like a shell (no pun intended) of prior years. I wonder if this is the unfortunate result of the post-Covid business environment where there are fewer businesses willing to contribute to a quality show. I certainly understand that they have far more important issues to be concerned about. If this is the case, perhaps more towns should combine resources and find an ideal location to put on a quality show for a larger crowd. Four or five years ago there was a competition between four or five towns - Laconia, Meredith, Gilford, Center Harbor and Moultonborough maybe; can't recall for sure. Held at the Weirs, each town put on a display for about 20 minutes or so with each obviously emphasizing their grand finale. It was quite a treat...about 90 minutes of continuous quality shows on one night. Do others remember that?

Additionally, we learned when we got home tonight that this is the first year (at least in a while) Meredith's fireworks would be fired from land versus barge. My group and hundreds of other individuals were unaware of this as we staked out our spaces in Scenic Park between Lago and Pleasant Street with a perfect view out into the bay where the barge would supposedly be firing the works. To the left, over the peninsula where the Meredith Yacht Club is located, we could see what appeared to all to be a great residential-type display of fireworks, unaware that it was the new firing location and apparently the actual display we were there to see. Many, perhaps most of the folks in the sections around where we were sitting sat through those fireworks completely unaware it was the actual show. A bit of communication to explain the change, perhaps a few signs along that viewing location, would have been appreciated. Folks were confused thinking that the 'real' show from the barge was cancelled for some reason - still not understanding that the real show was under way on the far side of the bay.

In hindsight, the new location caters more to boats on the water versus pedestrians on land. But besides that, it's simply devolved into a sub-par display...I assume due to budget constraints. We'll stay home next year.

Incidentally...we thought the Weirs display on Monday night was great and, from what we could see tonight, far better than Meredith's. Used to be the other way around but the Weirs has definitely picked it up over the last several years. Though it appears they've reduced these displays to every other week from once per week. Maybe Meredith should have their displays every other year to ensure better shows and definitely return the firing location back to the barge. Does anyone know why that changed?
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winilyme For This Useful Post:
DotRat (07-05-2023)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2023, 01:11 PM   #6
4 for Boating

Default Meredith FW

So here's my understanding of what happen - I could be wrong but here goes:

The Town had some sort of issue with the professional vendor that typically does these shows and found itself with no show for the 4th. The resident across the bay (famous I think) does a big display each year and offered to up the quantity to have something to see/watch... Guess is Class C (Common) versus Class B (Professional) in terms of break sizes and all that...

I think the rub may be the Town promoting this very, very good Class C show as the Class B show it normally secures?

Again - I could be wrong on all this and would appreciate anyone knowing more to jump in and/or correct as they see fit.
4 for Boating is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4 for Boating For This Useful Post:
Winilyme (07-05-2023)
Old 07-05-2023, 04:08 PM   #7
Mr. V

Last night we stayed in and watched the best fireworks display I've ever seen.

It was the Macy's fireworks in NYC.

Brilliant display, music perfect and fimed to the second.

Viewed on my home theater it felt like we were there.

Highly recommended.
Old 07-05-2023, 08:24 PM   #8
GTO

Default My opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winilyme View Post
Just returned from the fireworks display in Meredith. Definitely a bummer and, sadly, the second year in a row that the display has felt like a shell (no pun intended) of prior years. I wonder if this is the unfortunate result of the post-Covid business environment where there are fewer businesses willing to contribute to a quality show. I certainly understand that they have far more important issues to be concerned about. If this is the case, perhaps more towns should combine resources and find an ideal location to put on a quality show for a larger crowd. Four or five years ago there was a competition between four or five towns - Laconia, Meredith, Gilford, Center Harbor and Moultonborough maybe; can't recall for sure. Held at the Weirs, each town put on a display for about 20 minutes or so with each obviously emphasizing their grand finale. It was quite a treat...about 90 minutes of continuous quality shows on one night. Do others remember that?

Additionally, we learned when we got home tonight that this is the first year (at least in a while) Meredith's fireworks would be fired from land versus barge. My group and hundreds of other individuals were unaware of this as we staked out our spaces in Scenic Park between Lago and Pleasant Street with a perfect view out into the bay where the barge would supposedly be firing the works. To the left, over the peninsula where the Meredith Yacht Club is located, we could see what appeared to all to be a great residential-type display of fireworks, unaware that it was the new firing location and apparently the actual display we were there to see. Many, perhaps most of the folks in the sections around where we were sitting sat through those fireworks completely unaware it was the actual show. A bit of communication to explain the change, perhaps a few signs along that viewing location, would have been appreciated. Folks were confused thinking that the 'real' show from the barge was cancelled for some reason - still not understanding that the real show was under way on the far side of the bay.

In hindsight, the new location caters more to boats on the water versus pedestrians on land. But besides that, it's simply devolved into a sub-par display...I assume due to budget constraints. We'll stay home next year.

Incidentally...we thought the Weirs display on Monday night was great and, from what we could see tonight, far better than Meredith's. Used to be the other way around but the Weirs has definitely picked it up over the last several years. Though it appears they've reduced these displays to every other week from once per week. Maybe Meredith should have their displays every other year to ensure better shows and definitely return the firing location back to the barge. Does anyone know why that changed?

I think the fireworks at the Weirs the other night sucked too. First half of the show was like any other display we saw from houses on the way over there by boat. They were low and very little noise. The ending was decent with a lot of whistling bursts but the entire show lasted 12 minutes. You’d think with all the inconveniences we put up with during bike week and all the supposed “revenue” that it brings in, that Laconia could put on a decent show. I’m sending them a bill for wasting my boat gas
Old 07-05-2023, 08:53 PM   #9
John Mercier

The City of Laconia seldom makes any money during Bike Week. Red ink is the usual outcome.

I see the same misconception about Pumpkin Fest. The Lakes Region Chamber of Commerce promotes controls and pays for that event.

Individual business and groups tend to be the main funding sources for these events.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post:
GTO (07-05-2023)
Old 07-05-2023, 09:18 PM   #10
GTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
The City of Laconia seldom makes any money during Bike Week. Red ink is the usual outcome.

I see the same misconception about Pumpkin Fest. The Lakes Region Chamber of Commerce promotes controls and pays for that event.

Individual business and groups tend to be the main funding sources for these events.

No,no, no. Complain about anything about bike week and like a ventriloquist on a dummy’s knee, “but look how much revenue it brings in “
Old 07-05-2023, 09:53 PM   #11
John Mercier

Not for the City.

The politicians may feel political pressure... but the numbers have never really added up.

Fireworks became less about the 4th and more about the summer. The Weirs used to hold them every weekend. Now I think they do them every two weeks.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 10:07 PM   #12
LoveLakeLife

For the past few years before the hysteria the Weirs fireworks were outstanding. I think they were the ones organized by the several area businesses, though, not by the city.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
LoveLakeLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 03:23 AM   #13
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLakeLife View Post
For the past few years before the hysteria the Weirs fireworks were outstanding. I think they were the ones organized by the several area businesses, though, not by the city.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
I was going to ask for clarification about this. There are two sets of fireworks, right? The ones set off every couple weeks by the Weirs and the ones organized by the Tiki Hut guy and other local businesses for just the 4th? The latter is supposed to be killer...

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 06:35 PM   #14
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts
Default Fireworks Tonight

If you are in the area of Ellacoya tonight there is supposed to be a pretty good private fireworks show.

It will be about 3/4 mile North of the Ellacoya beach. The barge is already there setting up, the Gilford fireboat is there, and it should start about 9 PM.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (07-08-2023)
Old 07-08-2023, 08:41 PM   #15
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts
Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
If you are in the area of Ellacoya tonight there is supposed to be a pretty good private fireworks show.

It will be about 3/4 mile North of the Ellacoya beach. The barge is already there setting up, the Gilford fireboat is there, and it should start about 9 PM.
Thanks for the heads up! I informed some friends who are on the south side of Welch and they said they were phenomenal! From my place we couldn’t see them but could certainly hear them and they sure sounded like a great display!

Thanks again!

Dan
TiltonBB (07-09-2023)