Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-13-2011, 05:35 PM   #1
NHMC VP

Default SmokinStangs Lanconia Sept 9,10,11, 2011

Greetings everyone!! Thought I would introduce myself and something new that is coming to the area early this fall.

SmokinStangs Laconia is scheduled to take place September 9, 2011 through September 11, 2011. The SmokinStangs Laconia Mustang Rally will take place in Laconia, NH-the same location that Motorcycle Week has taken place for the past 87 years.

This is the events INAUGURAL year, and is anticipated to be an ANNUAL event. We will be celebrating the Ford Mustang & the enthusiasts that are involved with them.

Event name is: Smokinstangs-Laconia
Date: Sept. 9-11, 2011
Location: Laconia, NH (with activities taking place at both WEIRS BEACH Area & NHMS - New Hampshire Motor Speedway)

All the Details can be located on the Event Website:

http://smokinstangslaconia.com/

Look forward to being there then! Will keep this forum updated as things progress, and time nears!

Jim Gillis
SmokinStangs Laconia Committee
Vice President, New Hampshire Mustang Club
NHMC VP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NHMC VP For This Useful Post:
Lakesrider (04-13-2011), trfour (04-13-2011)
Old 04-13-2011, 07:10 PM   #2
trfour

Thumbs up Good To See!...

Thank you NHMC VP,
There are tons of fans in this area that will enjoy this event!
NasCar and New England Dragway over in Loadon and Eping respectively, bring in many many car enthusiastic folks from all over!

NHMS; http://www.nhms.com/

New England Dragway; http://newenglanddragway.com/home/index.php
I remember watching a National Record breaker, an entry from Tasca Ford in an Factory Experimental Class there way back during my racing days. Quite a Mow'shine, and fun to watch.

Here's a video of a Mach 1, breaking in a new motor, Awe, music to my ears!
http://www.streetfire.net/video/1210...run_146049.htm

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:33 PM   #3
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts

Great job on the website! I just sent the link to some Mustang guys I know.

I would love to put my 70 Olds (455 powered) on the dyno someday.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:51 PM   #4
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

There is just something about putting your car on a Dyno. You are nervous and excited at the same time. I just cringed when I got my Supercharged Ford Sportsman Block on the dyno. I just expected hear it and see it explode after 5000 RPM.....Yikes!
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:43 PM   #5
baygo

I bought a California Special with chrome side pipes my first summer out off high school. This thread brought back memories of forgotten great moments.

Thanks NHMC VP for putting something together that will bring traffic to the area during an otherwise slower time. Let me know if you need any raffle or auction prizes.

Last edited by baygo; 04-13-2011 at 08:44 PM. Reason: sp
baygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2011, 09:23 AM   #6
NHMC VP

Thank you all for posting and viewing already!! This is going to be quite the event! NHMC already runs the Ford Festival at New England Dragway in Epping, looking forward to assisting with things at Loudon this year!

Going to be fun! Can't wait to meet some new faces!!

Jim G
NHMC VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:32 AM   #7
lawn psycho

I saw the NED site and also heard there is going to be a swap meet. It's my understanding there is going to be some bracket racing for that weekend for the street cars, correct?

Is there going to be a swap meet in September? I plan to be there.

For the car show, do people with Mustangs park in the car show area even if they are not part of the show registration? I may just pay the fee to park in there anyways after the generations cruise.

I've soaked so much time and money into my car this Spring and I can't wait to get it out for some drives around the lake on the way to-from the boat.

My neighbors cringe when they see my car on jack-stands in the driveway
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:53 AM   #8
5.0 Girl

Hello everyone...Noobie here

WOW...This post/event just made my day.

My husband is into boats and I am into my Mustang.(He always wanted me join the forum and argue about the Speed Limit-no thanks)...

You will see me and my Supercharged 5.0 at this event for sure and I cant wait.

I have a few questions:

-Is this a New Hampshire Mustang Club Sponsored Event or are you guys just running the Car Show portion on Sunday?

-Are the local hotels/businesses aware of this event and gearing up for it

-Seems like a similar theme as Mustang Week in Myrtle Beach-is that the idea

Thanks 5.0 Girl
5.0 Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:14 AM   #9
Loony Singer

Default Cool! I'll be there!

Wow! Best of luck with this new event...it's on my calendar! I was the original owner of a '69 Boss 302 (shoulda kept that one!), and have always been a fan of the brand.

Speaking of which, my sons and I went out to Road America (Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin) last summer for the Kohler International Challenge weekend. It's vintage car racing...everything from little Minis up to old McLaren Can Am cars. This particular year, they had a special Mustang event. Lots of old Shelbys, a few Boss 302s, as well as the beast in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK96hLWIUbE

It's a beautiful track, we had perfect weather....all-round great time.
Loony Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:43 AM   #10
Gearhead

My uncle had a 1968 red GT500 convertible in the 1980's. We had a '67 mustang and I thought it looked familiar, but I was about 12 years old and he kept calling it a Shelby. When he took me for a ride in it I saw "Custom" on the glove box, and I said "Hey, this is a mustang!". That's when I got the history lesson on Carroll Shelby.

What a car that was. I'll never forget the sound it made.
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:34 PM   #11
Lakesrider

I'll definitely be going, but driving my truck. I don't think I'll be wanted if I drive my car. My car uses parts off a Mustang. It is a Factory Five Cobra replica.
But I did own a 1986 Turbo Charged Mustang SVO. You don't see to many of those around anymore. Mine was Number 8890 of around 9000 built. I loved that car. Great gas mileage and when the Turbo kicked in....Yehaaaaaaw.......
Old 04-15-2011, 05:35 AM   #12
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts
Default Turbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
I'll definitely be going, but driving my truck. I don't think I'll be wanted if I drive my car. My car uses parts off a Mustang. It is a Factory Five Cobra replica.
But I did own a 1986 Turbo Charged Mustang SVO. You don't see to many of those around anymore. Mine was Number 8890 of around 9000 built. I loved that car. Great gas mileage and when the Turbo kicked in....Yehaaaaaaw.......
I remember that SVO- it was a 2.3 with a turbo IIRC? I think it had a unique hood scoop as well.

My wife was driving the bane of most Mustang owners at the time- an 86 Buick T-Type with 3.8 SFI V6 Turbo. It was light blue and a super sleeper!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:58 PM   #13
5.0 Girl

I spoke with the SmokinStangs Laconia folks and here is more info:

-All Ford Performance Vehicles are welcome: Factory Five Cobras, other Cobra replicas, Ford GTs, Lightnings, Mercury Capris etc.

-This is not a New Hampshire Mustang Club Event-the New Hampshire Mustang Club does run the show on Sunday at the Weirs Drive in. This is a non club affiliated event put on by SmokinStangs.com-so that means all local and national Mustang Clubs are welcome as well as regular Mustang Fanatics like me who do not belong to a club...

-The local hotels and businesses have been contacted and made aware of this event. Several of the local inns have specials dedicated to this event-they can be found on the SmokinStangs Laconia website.

I can not wait for this event. When I pull into the Meet n Greet at the Weirs you will recognize me..!!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 5.0 Girl For This Useful Post:
Lakesrider (05-03-2011), trfour (05-03-2011)
Old 05-03-2011, 03:10 PM   #14
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
I remember that SVO- it was a 2.3 with a turbo IIRC? I think it had a unique hood scoop as well.

My wife was driving the bane of most Mustang owners at the time- an 86 Buick T-Type with 3.8 SFI V6 Turbo. It was light blue and a super sleeper!
The 87 Grand National is a very sought after car. The very rare GNX even more so. GM made the mistake of making it faster than the Corvette! The turbocharged GN was and still is a beast of a car.

In stock form the GN still holds its own today against quite a few cars. Of course once you get cars modified it often comes down to how deep in your wallet you want to dig to beat the guy in the other lane at the strip.

My Stang looks bone stock from the outside but it's also a sleeper with my new mods under the hood and it will definitely beat a stock GN
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:08 PM   #15
Lakesrider

The only thing I see that is non-Mustang related is the Mustangs and more show at the drive in. Looks like the cruises are Mustang only events. But I guess that is why they call it a Mustang show....
Old 05-04-2011, 07:46 AM   #16
5.0 Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
The only thing I see that is non-Mustang related is the Mustangs and more show at the drive in. Looks like the cruises are Mustang only events. But I guess that is why they call it a Mustang show....
From my conversation with one of the founding members of this event...You and your Cobra will be welcome at all the events. The Cobras, Lightnings etc can also join in the Generations Cruise-they will launch at the end I believe.

This is a Mustang focused event for sure, but all Ford Performance Vehicles are going to be welcome at all events.

Listen for the whine of my supercharger and the whine of my husband when I force him to polish my Fox during this weekend..!!!!
Old 05-04-2011, 03:16 PM   #17
RLW

N NHMC VP , glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum and I hope that you have a great rally and lots of the forum friends are able to attend.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:04 PM   #18
5.0 Girl

Just found this info out....

SmokinStangs is pleased to announce that......On-line registration is officially live!!

Register today!! And be sure to reserve your spot in the action...as some events/activities may sell out:
http://www.smokinstangslaconia.com/registration.html
Old 11-01-2011, 07:55 PM   #19
trfour

Default Some Great New's For Lakes Region Mustang

Lover's!
Ford Mustang fans now have another option to preserve or create a first-generation car--a reproduction body shell of the 1965 Mustang convertible.

Ford has licensed Dynacorn Inc. of California to produce new body shells of the '65 Mustang. Depending on the choice of powertrain and trim, the body shell can be completed to specifications for a 1964 ½, '65 or '66 Mustang.

“The 1964-66 Mustang is the most restored vintage vehicle,” said Dennis Mondrach, Ford Restoration Parts licensing manager. “But the number of original 1964-66 bodies is shrinking every year. Most of the original Mustangs left in scrap yards are rusted or wrecked beyond repair.”
http://editorial.autos.msn.com/blogs...7-a4264f3688fa

I'm still waiting for an update on the 2012 season schedule from SmokinStangs; http://www.smokinstangslaconia.com/schedule.html

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote