Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-25-2011, 07:24 PM   #1
NoBozo

Default The Mount: The History

Recently, I have become interested in the details of the Mount's history. My recently acquired copy of "Farewell Old Mount Washington" shows a few pictures of the "Chateaugay".......note the spelling. This was the boat that was found on Lake Champlain, and "came over" to the Lake in 1940 to become the NEW Mount Washington.

The current Mount Washington website. http://www.cruisenh.com/index.php. in their history link, spells the name thus: "Chateaguay"...in a couple of places. I hate it when this happens. Can anyone explain this.............? NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:47 PM   #2
Russtic

Default The spelling "Chateaugay" is correct

I'm also interested in the Mount's history and am very familiar through work with the former owner of the "Chateaugay", the Lake Champlain Transportation Company based in Burlington, VT. This company began in the 1820's and continues to operate a fleet of ferries on Lake Champlain.
The "Chateaugay" was launched in 1888 and was the first steel-hulled vessel built on Lake Champlain. She operated there until chopped up in sections, transported to Lake Winnipesaukee, and reassembled (with modern power) as the "Mount Washington II".
Although she has undergone some changes over the years like enclosure of decks at various times and a lengthening in 1982, the hull is original and is now 123 years old!
The Winnipesaukee Flagship Corp. has maintained the Mount well and I look forward to riding/seeing her for many more years.
Russtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:59 PM   #3
NoBozo

The engines installed in the NEW Mount at Lakeport in 1940 were a pair of refurbished Herreshoff 750 HP Triple Expansion (Steam) engines built in 1920. These were NOT Walking Beam engines. They were designed for screw propellers. Their performance was less than hoped for in this hull for various reasons. It took some time to dial in all the parameters.

WWII had just started for the US..and everything came to a screeching halt. The Coast Guard comandeered the engines for the war effort and the Mount settled in for a sleep, until the war was over. In the meantime..the owner..Capt. Leander Lavallee couldn't make the payments because buisness was OFF during the war. He went bankrupt. Lest one get confused: There were also other Lavallee's involved in steamboating on the lake..including The Mount Washington at various times.

In 1946, the Modern Engines were installed. A pair of Enterprise Diesels..which remained in service until last year when new Catapiller Diesels were installed. NB
Old 10-27-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow The Chateaugay & M/S Mount Washington

I am guessing that it must have been a typing error. The correct spelling is Chateaugay.
The vessel was made of iron mined from Mt. Chateaugay in upstate New York and was the first iron-hulled steamboat on Lake Champlain.
NoBozo, I am so happy that you like the book! It's one of my favorites. Please note that there are a couple historical snafus regarding sinking/wrecks that I am planning to elaborate more over the upcoming winter.

I am also planning to add some more information to the The Legacy of the M/S Mount Washington thread.
(I hope that I didn't miss-spell Chateaugay anywhere! )
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:00 PM   #5
Russtic

Default Iron or Steel?

I'm wondering if the Mount's hull is iron or steel. I got my info from the Lake Champlain Transportation website (steel). Rattlesnake Gal says it's iron. Not a big deal but maybe someone knows for sure!
Russtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2011, 03:18 PM   #6
Just Sold

Default Home Movie of the Mount.

I recently discovered that on one of my Dad's home movies it shows the Mount and was taken from the Sophie C or Doris E. in the 50's. Not sure just yet when in the 50's. The Mount sure looks different from today's Mount. Can't wait to look and see if there are more lake scenes on the other reels. I have lots to go through.

I am planning to have some of the home movies digitized as Christmas gifts for my brothers and will post the one of the Mount when it is ready.
The Following User Says Thank You to Just Sold For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (10-28-2011)
Old 10-28-2011, 04:25 PM   #7
WeirsBeachBoater

If the photos were shot in the 50's. It must be the Sophie C. Doris was not christened until the early 60's.
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:59 PM   #8
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russtic View Post
I'm wondering if the Mount's hull is iron or steel. I got my info from the Lake Champlain Transportation website (steel). Rattlesnake Gal says it's iron. Not a big deal but maybe someone knows for sure!
EXCELLENT Observation: I have questioned this myself. I have seen both mentioned. I'll have to assume that the articles were written by people who are not aware that there is a difference between Iron & Steel. There IS a difference.

Iron came first. Steel came much later...I don't want to guess when Steel came into general use in ship building. Then there is Steel..and there is CAST Steel. I think I remember that a Big Deal was a "Lump" of CAST Steel being accomplished in 1890 or so, a 480#casting....STEEL.

The Mount was "Welded" back together when it arrived at Lakeport in 1940. Steel can be welded very easily. I am foggy on this...Iron is more difficult to weld. I am (So Far) not knowledgeable in shipbuilding techniques back in the day..

Early ships were Riveted..later they were Welded
Old 10-28-2011, 05:32 PM   #9
Jonas Pilot

Default History of iron hulled ships.

http://www.anmm.gov.au/webdata/resou.../ironhulls.pdf
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:05 PM   #10
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Pilot View Post
VERY Good article JP. NB
Old 11-03-2011, 06:34 PM   #11
NoBozo

Default Iron Vs Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russtic View Post
I have very recently obtained a copy of "Three Centuries On Winnipesaukee" by Paul H. Blaisdell...I might add.. at very great expense....it's a hardcover (2nd edition..1975)..signed by the author.... which includes commentary on the New Mount. The first edition was 1936. Rattlesnake Gal made me do it.....AGAIN.

Paul H. Blaisdell was the "Chief Boat Inspector for the State of NH" when the Chateaugay was being dismantled at Burlington, Vt. ...to come over to Winnipesaukee. He was there.

He states in the book..talking about improvements over the years: "Gradual removal of the IRON plates and replacement with STEEL" (Caps are mine.) I can't think of anyone more qualified to comment on Iron Vs. Steel hull material in the Mount.... than Blaisdell..

Thanks again RG. NB