Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-24-2009, 09:51 AM   #1
Never Satisfied

Default Fresh Water

Hello,
Long time lurker-First time poster!!!

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on where I could get the best quality fresh water to fill my tank. I typically fuel up at Mountain View, do you know if they have city or well water??

I just moved from a performance boat to a cruiser so I have never had to think about decent quality fresh water...

Thanks in advance,
NS
Never Satisfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:05 PM   #2
brk-lnt

What are you going to use the water for?

If you're not overnighting on the boat, I wouldn't think it would matter all that much. And even if you were, a few gallon jugs for cooking/drinking is probably better anyway.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:20 PM   #3
Never Satisfied

We will be overnighting every weekend as we had in the past with the performance boat. The reason I am concerned about water quality is because this new boat has an ice maker. I will be bringing spring water for drinking but I do plan on using the ice maker.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:44 PM   #4
klpjr77

Add a lil absolut to the water for the icemaker, the guy with the 245 Express Dingy will appreciate it!
klpjr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:13 PM   #5
Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Satisfied View Post
We will be overnighting every weekend as we had in the past with the performance boat. The reason I am concerned about water quality is because this new boat has an ice maker. I will be bringing spring water for drinking but I do plan on using the ice maker.
I think I would buy ice and turn the ice-maker off. You can always put the purchased ice into the ice bin. That way you can use the ice feeder part of the ice-maker, but without the hassle of finding pristine water to convert into ice. If you used pristine water for all on-board needs, that would be expensive, unless there was a seperate water tank for the ice-maker.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2009, 04:14 PM   #6
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Water filter?

Quote:
Is it possible to install a water filter in line from the fill in the hull to the holding tank?
Old 03-24-2009, 04:57 PM   #7
Kamper

Where are you going to be tieing up? If it's a marina they should have a water supply for you. If it's a private dock, ask your host about using thier water. Either way, make sure you use a hose rated for potable water.

The tank might be more suitable for washing purposes and get spring water for drinking and ice-making as suggested already. Those 2.5 gallon jugs are cheap if you get store-brand. IMO, market Basket has the best prices but shopping around and checking the flyers might get you a better deal.

FYI - To make a long involved situation short and simple... It's illegal to just anchor anywhere, or tie to a tree and overnight on NH waters. You can only overnight someplace where the land-owner/mooring owner allows you to use their facilities. So... Don't get caught!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:35 PM   #8
Silver Duck

Most of the folks that I know who use ice makers go to Anchor Marine. Typically, they pump out and tank up at the same time.

Silver Duck
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:52 PM   #9
jrc

My marina has unfiltered water at the docks and one filtered connection at the pump-out dock. Ask around your's may be similar. I often get water (when I fuel up) at Mountain View and never had a problem. I do keep a low level of chlorine in my tank just to make sure. We use a little less than recommend to keep the taste palatable. I never knew how strong the chlorine was in city water until I move to a house with a well. Now I notice chlorine.

Upthesaukee asks if it's possible to install a water filter in line from the fill in the hull to the holding tank. Given that hose is about 2" across, I doubt that would work. But you could consider an under-sink or whole house filter on the output of the water pump or the input to the ice maker.

I'm considering getty a whole house filter and rigging it with garden hose connections to filter the water on the way in. They sell some at Home Depot for around $20.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:30 AM   #10
Never Satisfied

Thank you all for your responses!

Just to clear up any confusion, I posted on this site for the first time yesterday but I have been on the lake and have had a slip for years...

JRC: It is funny you mention that water filter idea because I just rigged one up this weekend. I got the idea from my father who has one for his motorhome.

I think my plan is just to continue fueling up at Mountain View and use their fesh water and filtering the water on the way in. I will also try Anchor Marine and the chlorine. They sell little tabs to drop in the tank right?
Old 03-25-2009, 07:32 AM   #11
Never Satisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by klpjr77 View Post
Add a lil absolut to the water for the icemaker, the guy with the 245 Express Dingy will appreciate it!
If the guy with the 245 Sun-Dinghy supplies, I will add!!
Old 03-25-2009, 08:16 AM   #12
klpjr77

Consider it done!

NS, I have a filtering system for my house for the town water (Call it belts and suspenders) It is located under my sink and is fairly inexpensive, I'll take pictures and post.

p.s. Does that barge of yours come with a Kegerator?....Just asking....
klpjr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:47 PM   #13
OCDACTIVE

Hey N.S.... mind me asking where you are from? Your User Name is the same as one of my friends on a different site who comes from NY. He is also getting out of his performance boat for a cruiser.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:51 PM   #14
Never Satisfied

OD

Not at all. I am from MA so I am a different person. Never Satisfied is the name of my boat infact my new cruiser is #III. My last two boats were Baja's and I loved them! But between a new baby and the speed limit it was time to move on to a bigger boat. You have an active thunder?? Those are nice boats!
Old 03-25-2009, 07:50 PM   #15
jrc

NS, you can get chlorine in little tablets at the boat store. Or in a little bottle at Walmart in the RV aisle, get some RV TP while you're there, cheaper than the marina.

You can also just use Chlorox or even pool chlorine, but the little bottles are easier to store. Don't skimp on the RV TP though. First time I used regulars Scotts, I learned how to take apart a marine head.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 05:30 AM   #16
Never Satisfied

Thanks jrc!!

I will definitely be picking some up. I already do have a supply of TP because my last boat did have a pump out head that we planned to use but never really did (a bit cramped in a performance boat). It was easier just to use the head at the YC.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:34 AM   #17
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
OD

Not at all. I am from MA so I am a different person. Never Satisfied is the name of my boat infact my new cruiser is #III. My last two boats were Baja's and I loved them! But between a new baby and the speed limit it was time to move on to a bigger boat. You have an active thunder?? Those are nice boats!
Wow very big coincidence then... Hopefully my A/T will be rolling in to my driveway very soon. Stay tuned..

Hope to see you out there!