Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-08-2021, 08:34 PM   #1
Winni979

Default Rogue Wave?

A week ago I was out in my 25 footer between 5 and 6 mile islands where it's shallower ie 25 feet. It was pretty calm/boat barley rocking at all, low winds, partly cloudy. We were just drifting enjoying the sunset as were a few other boats a ways away. I heard a noise the distance and noticed what looking like a small wave perhaps just boat wake maybe 1/4 mile away, it was odd because the wave seemed to span a very large distance of water. I did not think much of it but next thing I know I turn around and there's a humongous set of 2 or 3 waves 20 feet from boat. And I mean huge, they rocked the 25 footer like it was nothing nearly ejecting me. Now I figure this partly has to do with that the wave was coming from circa 90 feet to 25ish but what could have started this wave? Just seems like more than any wake from a boat I have seen. I thought there might have been an earthquake for a second! It seemed to dissipate a little out when it passed into deeper water but was still shaking boats. I mean it was calm and pleasant and this lonely set of 4 footers just rocked us, anyone ever have a similar experience?
Winni979 is offline   Reply With Quote