Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2009, 06:00 PM   #1
pats fan

Default Chao Pra Ya Thai & Sushi

I stopped by today for a take out menu. I can not believe how much they have to offer! I was worried about he Sushi but the menu is so loaded with everything that I can not wait to go back with the family for dinner. I guess I did not know what to expect. I thought Sushi meant raw rish! That is like thinking American means Hamburgers! They have so much on their menu. Don't let Sushi scare you. That is a small portion of what they have. There are many chicken, pork, fish and seafood stirfries, salads, curry dishes, soups, etc. I feel so silly for being so uneducated about what a Sushi restaurant is. Can't wait to try it out. If you beat me there please let me know how it is!
pats fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pats fan For This Useful Post:
Overlake97 (05-26-2009)
Old 05-25-2009, 07:40 AM   #2
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

AW pretty much hit it on the head........Weirs is definately not the family vacation spot that it used to be.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:06 PM   #3
Smitty1

The Thai and Sushi place is called Choa Pra Ya and it is very good.

Lots of Thai and Sushi selections.

Looks like it is the same owners as Thai Smile in Plymouth.

603-366-2010

Lunch 11-4

Dinner 4-9

Fri/Sat close at 10

Closed on Tuesday

Smitty
Smitty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Smitty1 For This Useful Post:
Resident 2B (05-29-2009)
Old 05-30-2009, 08:41 AM   #4
sa meredith

Default open

I drove by yesterday, and found much of the same that Don did on 5/13.
Although there is an "open" sign, it certainly does not look ready, or very inviting from the outside.
Instead of getting a new sign, they draped a white tarp over the old Boston Seafood sign. And the name of the new place is on another banner, hanging half on/ half off of the front. If you drove by quickly, you would think they are under construction...although, I guess they still have a couple of weeks until peak season.
I would think they have a plan in place.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 01:32 PM   #5
mike ray

Default food is good

a few us at the pound had take-out from there las sat afternoon. everyone was very impressed. food was very tastey and fresh. not 1 complaint. i wish them the best of luck.
mike ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2009, 09:21 PM   #6
Hshag

Hello, Long time lurker, 1st time poster.
My wife and I gave Choa Pra Ya a chance last weekend. We are glad we did. The food was delicious and very fresh. We plan on making many more visits to this place. We got to talk to the woman at the counter while our food was being prepared. She told us that this is there third restaurant. They also have one in Plymouth and one in Lincoln. It’s worth a try.
Harry
Hshag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:10 PM   #7
Overlake97

Smile Choa Pra Ya = Thai Smile?

See my earlier post (below) about the Plymouth restaurant, which they apparently also own. I've been going there regularly, and have yet to be disappointed. Maybe...I'll go there (Weirs)..TONIGHT!

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ead.php?t=6033
Overlake97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 02:05 PM   #8
winniplayhouse

Three of us had lunch here today and all really liked it. They did a nice job on the simple renovations. The food was GREAT! We all had Thai although the sushi menu looked good too.

I'm VERY happy that this is in walking distance of the Playhouse as we're kind of missing a good, healthy alternative for a quick lunch. You'll see us in there a lot this summer!
winniplayhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:50 AM   #9
Overlake97

Thumbs up Excellent addition to Weirs options

The wife and I dropped in about 8:30PM last night and ordered Green Curry with chicken (me) and Red Curry with Tofu. Both were excellent. I upped the spice stars to 3 (from 1= mild) which was perfect for me. I liked it even better than their place in Plymouth, but that might be due to the "heat" modification. My wife also loved her red tofu, as well as the thai tea. It looked orange and she said it had a hint of vanilla. I couldn't taste that, but it was good.

The sign still has not changed (a drape over lit Boston Seafood sign, with Thai Restarant banner tacked on below), and the place did not look open as we approached, but it was. Lucky for us.
Overlake97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 11:46 PM   #10
Nadia

Talking Yum!

If anyone gets a menu and wants to post please do! This will be our next venture out for sure.
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:01 AM   #11
Whimsey

Default The Menu

We've had a fine meal at Choa Pra Ya...extremely good and fresh Thai and nice, but not cutting edge, sushi. If I do this right, the menu should follow.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Choa Pra Ya.pdf (822.6 KB, 439 views)
Whimsey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Whimsey For This Useful Post:
robmac (06-10-2009)
Old 06-13-2009, 09:11 PM   #12
DJS-Laconia

Default Decent Thai Food but BAD Management decision..

Our family checked this place out last weekend and we did like it. The food was good and they were quick in preperation. I just wanted to note that they were closed on the FIRST Saturday of Bike week @7:30. They have posted closing time of 10pm. We had a bunch of people that were craving Thai food. (15 people) which would have been a big order. (good for a place just starting out)

I went to the door because the workers were in the dining room. I wanted to ask them why they were closed and if they could accomodate an order. He was hesitant to come to the door and then he just said that they were closed. He mumbled something about a buffet for bike week. A Thai buffet? That isn't what Thai is about. Thai is about ultra fresh ingredients and cooked to order, not left under a heat lamp.

We did go to another Thai place but after that mess, I won't be going back to the Weirs location again.
DJS-Laconia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:35 PM   #13
winniplayhouse

Default Still great - check them out!

Many of our staff members have been getting take-out from Choa Pra Ya at least once a week. It's delicious and the staff are always very nice. They have recently added a free side salad with the lunch specials and I promised I'd spread the word! It comes with a Japanese ginger dressing. I usually hate the ginger dressing at most Japanese restaurants and was all ready to throw the little tub of dressing away and eat the salad plain when I decided to give the dressing a try on my fork! It was really great! Not strong and gloppy like most Japanese places.
The Weirs is a tough place to open a business - especially for something like this - and I hope they do well. Please give them a try!
Old 08-05-2009, 09:41 PM   #14
garysanfran

Default Wonderful food at Choa Pra Ya!

I tried Choa Pra Ya late last June. Docked at The Weirs. I was the only customer there at about 6:30 (Thursday, I think).

I ordered a sea food dish and was suspect that, with so few customers, the seafood would not be fresh, but I was wrong! This dish (don't remember the name) was exceptional! Scallops were sweet, the shrimp was perfect. And unlike most Thai restaurants, they don't use a lot of coconut milk. I don't think my dish had any. It is unique and well prepared food.

I complemented the staff on the wonderful meal and they lamented they didn't think they would remain open long because of lack of business. I'm happy to see they are still there. I will return in September.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:59 PM   #15
Don

Thumbs up Great Food But No Customers

My wife and I finally had a chance today to try Chao Pra Ya for lunch. It was really outstanding. From the Lunch Specials we had the Squid Pad Ginger for $9.95 and the Chicken Pra Ram for $7.95. Both came with a ginger salad, pot stickers and rice. The squid was tender and flavorful as were the veggies they were stir fried with. My wife was very happy with the Chicken dish although I was so busy with mine that I never tasted it.

Even though the food was great we were the only ones there for the entire meal. When we left we asked them how business was and they said that we were the only customers they had today. They are open for lunch from 11 to 3 and we left around 2:30. Not good.

Trying to find some good news I asked if they did well with take-out business but they said no. We also suggested that they should be open on Sunday but they said they tried that and no one came in.

I think one of their problems is that they do little to draw in all the drive-by traffic. There should be changeable sign at the curb with a daily special and their message board on the pole should say "Lunch Specials". Instead you hardly notice the place as you drive by.

If you like Thai I highly recommend that you try it. You'll get great service and food. Just do it soon, unless they somehow attract customers very quickly I don't see how they will survive.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:52 PM   #16
garysanfran

Default This is a special and unique place...

I love the food here. It's not overly-sweetened with coconut milk like so many Thai restaurants. Very fresh! The well spiced food makes up for the somewhat bland environs.

Although Waldo Peppers survived here for years, it's not a good location. Very bad visibility, but they do have parking and it's very walkable from The Weirs docks. It's a nice bit of culinary diversity for the area.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:10 PM   #17
sa meredith

Default too bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
My wife and I finally had a chance today to try Chao Pra Ya for lunch. It was really outstanding. From the Lunch Specials we had the Squid Pad Ginger for $9.95 and the Chicken Pra Ram for $7.95. Both came with a ginger salad, pot stickers and rice. The squid was tender and flavorful as were the veggies they were stir fried with. My wife was very happy with the Chicken dish although I was so busy with mine that I never tasted it.

Even though the food was great we were the only ones there for the entire meal. When we left we asked them how business was and they said that we were the only customers they had today. They are open for lunch from 11 to 3 and we left around 2:30. Not good.

Trying to find some good news I asked if they did well with take-out business but they said no. We also suggested that they should be open on Sunday but they said they tried that and no one came in.

I think one of their problems is that they do little to draw in all the drive-by traffic. There should be changeable sign at the curb with a daily special and their message board on the pole should say "Lunch Specials". Instead you hardly notice the place as you drive by.

If you like Thai I highly recommend that you try it. You'll get great service and food. Just do it soon, unless they somehow attract customers very quickly I don't see how they will survive.
What a sad post.
I mean, someone invested time, money, and hard work...and to watch it fizzle out must be tough.
Based on this post, I would assume we will see three businesses in this same location close in three years. Not good.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:01 PM   #18
Bigstan

Default Sushi

I assume they still serve sushi? I dont feel that great about going there for it now....
Bigstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:49 PM   #19
trfour

Default I Wouldn't Count Them Out....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
What a sad post.
I mean, someone invested time, money, and hard work...and to watch it fizzle out must be tough.
Based on this post, I would assume we will see three businesses in this same location close in three years. Not good.
From where I can see, they are serving a great product, #1! Last time I checked, Gas Stations were #1 in the top ten in new businesses to fail within the first year. #2 were restaurants.
My hope is that they knew the land, so to speak, before they opened, and have the financial resources in place to make it over the hump, and including this horrific economic climate.
I wish them the best, and if I still lived right down the street from them, I would be in to help them out!

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:56 AM   #20
winniplayhouse

I've had the sushi a few times and it has always been very fresh.

They must have done a little better yesterday then when you were there the day before. When I went to pick up take-out there were 2 tables full and someone else waiting for take-out. Not a great day but not as bad as one customer all day.

I mentioned in another thread on them but I'll mention it again here, they are now providing free salads with the lunch specials. It's the best ginger dressing I've ever had!
Old 09-02-2009, 05:09 PM   #21
pats fan

Default Best kept secret in The Lakes Region!

My family and I have been to the Thai and Sushi restaurant many times this summer and love it.* I have not seen it really busy but have been in a couple times when people were coming in for take out.* We think it is great.* The food is fantastic, the atmosphere is quaint and the prices are in line with other Thai restaurants.* They really should do some advertising.* I have talked with locals who say they have never heard of it.* This place has the potential to do a great business, but they have not advertised.* Well worth a visit and you will be hooked too!
pats fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:56 PM   #22
THS

Default New Renovation!!

I was there on last Wed. I was surprised by their new renovation. It's gorgeous!! They have new wooden wall and divided section wooden panel. New pictures of Thailand look amazing!! These make the place more cozy and welcoming to sit and have a great meal(the food is always great anyway!!)
I talked to the staff there. He said it's too slow to open for lunch time. They have to open for dinner only. Too bad
Only thing I can help is to go there more often and spread my words to other people so they get to know how great this place is. I hope you guys do the same before they have to close the business.
THS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:04 PM   #23
garysanfran

Default Closed for Lunch

Not knowing they are closed for lunch, I went there today and left very disappointed.

Are they closed for lunch on weekends also?
Old 09-11-2009, 07:53 PM   #24
Bigstan

Default lunch

Last time we went it was a weekend, and while open for lunch the lunch menu was M-F only. So I bet they are open for lunch on weekends as:

1. You get more traffic on weekends.

and

2. It's dinner menu only.

And I agree, it pretty good thai - better than the others in the area.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:13 PM   #25
THS

Default Also Close Lunch on Weekend

I think they're closed for lunch on weekend also. They said they don't have enough business in lunchtime to pay for the staff. Someday there is no customer during lunch. so tough!!
THS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:51 AM   #26
Bigstan

Default Not open this weekend

Last weekend stopped on Sunday, there was a big OPEN sign in the window facing the street, but on the door going in was a smaller closed sign. We'd driven by on Saturday as well and though we didn't stop there was nobody in the lot and I would imagine the same two signs are there.

To not open on the last real weekend of the season is surprising, they must have a real strong crowd during the week?

** Update - just called to see if they are open tonight and the # is not in service. That does not bode well.

Last edited by Bigstan; 10-16-2009 at 02:49 PM.