Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Weather
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2009, 06:41 PM   #1
CanisLupusArctos

Default Hot Weather, August 14-17

It is starting to look like a heat wave may actually happen in New England this
weekend. Sunny weather with highs of 85 to 92 will begin on Friday and persist at
least into Monday, perhaps Tuesday. Saturday is expected to be the hottest of the
period, with highs perhaps reaching the mid-90s in a few places away from water.
On the lake, as always, it will be cooler because of the water. There, expect
highs in the 80s. The water temperature will probably reach or exceed 80 this
weekend.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CanisLupusArctos For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (08-14-2009), hazelnut (08-12-2009), trfour (08-12-2009)
Old 08-12-2009, 07:44 PM   #2
john60ri

Default Heat wave

Thanks, Canis. Good news. We are heading up the the Lake on Saturday the 15th. Been hoping for sunny skies, considering all the r--n. (Don't even want to say the word.)
john60ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:02 PM   #3
fatlazyless

Hooray....it's about time....the water temp is soooo looooow that the cold water temp news is being witheld from the water temp page for August. No news is good news.....do-ya-think......or am I just being paranoid?

Oopsie.....excuse me.....the temps are back....what do I know?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 08-12-2009 at 09:05 PM. Reason: duh!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatlazyless For This Useful Post:
Meredith lady (08-13-2009)
Old 08-14-2009, 10:43 AM   #4
CanisLupusArctos

It now appears likely that we will approach 90 today, and reach or exceed 90 on Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday. Heat will break on Wednesday, which is our next chance of showers.

Humidity will also be with us through the heat wave.

The air temperature at the WeatherCam will likely stay in the 80s since the location is an island and the water is 76. However, the water temp will likely reach or exceed 80 by tomorrow afternoon and continue rising as humid nights will prevent it from cooling off much after dark.

At 11 this morning temperatures were in the mid-70s across the northeast, except around 70 in the Boston area. Highs will reach 90 today in many locations.

It has been a while since our last heat wave. Remember heat wave safety for yourself - staying hydrated and dressing lightly. Also remember to check on those who are most prone to heat problems, such as children and the elderly.

Heat stroke is a medical emergency worthy of a call to 911. Here is some information about it, from the Centers for Disease Control and the University of Maryland Medical Center.

http://www.bt.cdc.gov/disasters/extr...heat_guide.asp
http://www.umm.edu/non_trauma/dehyrat.htm
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CanisLupusArctos For This Useful Post:
ApS (08-14-2009), Jonas Pilot (08-14-2009), robmac (08-15-2009), Ropetow (08-14-2009), trfour (08-14-2009)
Old 08-18-2009, 09:38 AM   #5
SIKSUKR

Talking You can thank me

I've been on vaca and have hit the perverbial jackpot with the weather!Having worked most of the summer weekends when it was rainy and cold,I know the weather god has been watching my schedule.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:01 AM   #6
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
I've been on vaca and have hit the perverbial jackpot with the weather!
Me too!
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:42 AM   #7
chipj29

Thumbs up

Great call on the hot weather CLA. It sure has been hot. I am coaching my sons football team this year. The last few practices have been quite toasty. Looks like it won't cool down much before Thursday, with today being the hottest of the stretch.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:45 AM   #8
sa meredith

Default bolg

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
Me too!
Enjoyed your vaca blog last year.
This year????????
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:01 PM   #9
GrandmaBig6

Default Vacation here we come!!

We are coming up on Saturday the 22nd for two weeks.

Please leave some good weather for us.

Mary
GrandmaBig6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:53 PM   #10
rrr

Default bolg, blog - whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
This year????????
SA - I've been thinking the same thing! I really enjoyed it last year. What-a-ya say Webmaster? Will there be a sequel?
rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:50 PM   #11
trfour

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrr View Post
SA - I've been thinking the same thing! I really enjoyed it last year. What-a-ya say Webmaster? Will there be a sequel?
I'm all for vacations two!

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:19 PM   #12
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
This year????????
Sorry, not this year. Last year I really just hoped to inspire others to blog their vacations but alas no one did.

If I did blog this year the headline would be "Perfect Weather Every Day". The week is not over but so far it's been amazing.

I'll post some restaurant reviews and a few other comments and pictures on the forum but it's too late to start the blog. Maybe next year.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:22 PM   #13
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Beautiful day 8-18

My wife and I were both off today, and climbed into the boat at about 930. We left Alton Bay to go to Merideth, by way of a trip around Bear Is.. The lake was like glass! Not a lot of boat traffic, until we got to the no wake zone at the north end of Bear. A fair amount of traffic past Eagle Is, and then a pleasant cruise down to Merideth. Docked the boat, went into the shoppes at the mill falls, then to the Lady of the Lake shop (phew, wife didn't buy anything ), and then over to Town docks for lunch.
Had corn fritters for apps (really good), wife a chicken caesar wrap and I had a biker burger (double bacon cheeseburger) with both hers and mine upgraded to onion rings rather than fries. Great lunch, just beat the crowd, and we walked the boardwalk from Church Landing back to the docks.
Headed down to Paugus Bay with the thought of ice cream at you know who's, but by the time we got there, we were still stuffed and decided to keep on boating. Interestingly, going into PB, my tach said 720 and my GPS said 4.7 MPH SOG. There were almost mini rapids from the start of the narrow portion of the channel to past the bridge, which I had never seen. Coming back out, it was 940 on the tach, no wake, and between 3.6 and 3.9 MPH. Still some current there!

So we were off past Eagle again, past the Witches on the Timber Is side, with the lake having a little chop with the wind coming off our right, which was probably S or SW. We went to our favorite spot to anchor and swim, and I'd tell you where, but then I would have to kill ya. Ask my wife, she'd say the same thing.

After hanging out floating on the noodles, we headed back into Alton with a stop at the docks for ice cream at Shibley's, then back to Parker's to end the day. Back at the dock by 345, boat all buttoned up, and home by 415 with a stop at both Post Offices.

Great day, very relaxing, and right now, I am falling aslee p while I tr y to f i ni sh this pos t.
Moccasin (08-19-2009)
Old 08-19-2009, 12:37 AM   #14
trfour

Default About The Ice Cream....

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
My wife and I were both off today, and climbed into the boat at about 930. We left Alton Bay to go to Merideth, by way of a trip around Bear Is.. The lake was like glass! Not a lot of boat traffic, until we got to the no wake zone at the north end of Bear. A fair amount of traffic past Eagle Is, and then a pleasant cruise down to Merideth. Docked the boat, went into the shoppes at the mill falls, then to the Lady of the Lake shop (phew, wife didn't buy anything ), and then over to Town docks for lunch.
Had corn fritters for apps (really good), wife a chicken caesar wrap and I had a biker burger (double bacon cheeseburger) with both hers and mine upgraded to onion rings rather than fries. Great lunch, just beat the crowd, and we walked the boardwalk from Church Landing back to the docks.
Headed down to Paugus Bay with the thought of ice cream at you know who's, but by the time we got there, we were still stuffed and decided to keep on boating. Interestingly, going into PB, my tach said 720 and my GPS said 4.7 MPH SOG. There were almost mini rapids from the start of the narrow portion of the channel to past the bridge, which I had never seen. Coming back out, it was 940 on the tach, no wake, and between 3.6 and 3.9 MPH. Still some current there!

So we were off past Eagle again, past the Witches on the Timber Is side, with the lake having a little chop with the wind coming off our right, which was probably S or SW. We went to our favorite spot to anchor and swim, and I'd tell you where, but then I would have to kill ya. Ask my wife, she'd say the same thing.

After hanging out floating on the noodles, we headed back into Alton with a stop at the docks for ice cream at Shibley's, then back to Parker's to end the day. Back at the dock by 345, boat all buttoned up, and home by 415 with a stop at both Post Offices.

Great day, very relaxing, and right now, I am falling aslee p while I tr y to f i ni sh this pos t.
To one of the best writers out here, Hi Up!
About thinking of Ice Cream at Paugus Bay, were you thinking of Liliuokalani's?
Anyway, all the way from Texas, I enjoy your stories and great sense of humor.

Ps, I think Yang is good for Golf, but I also think that there will be a Tiger in the future!

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:20 PM   #15
john60ri

Default Hot weather!

We had great weather for our vacation week - 15th to 22nd. Sunny and hot Saturday thru Thursday, showers and thunderstorms on Friday. Great way to wrap up the week, sitting on the porch reading and watching the rain pour down on the trees and the lake - White Oak Pond. Around dusk I heard one massive thunder crack, which shook the cottage, and I swear the rumble lasted for a full minute. Anyway, thanks again for the forecast. Cheers!
john60ri is offline   Reply With Quote