Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2021, 06:18 AM   #1
GodSmile

Default Dive moving on from Weirs?

Article in today's LDS states that there is a mutual agreement to end the arrangement between the Dive and the city. Not totally clear on why but the article does state that the Dive never followed through on plans to get permits and build a dock. What is really unfortunate about it (however you feel about The Dive) is that it sounds like a plan to rebuild the public docks, making them better suited to today's needs is now off the table.
GodSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 07:11 AM   #2
fatlazyless

Unhappy ..... so sad to see it go!

That is totally too bad about The Dive. While I was never a customer, I became an admirer, and thought The Dive had found its one & only happy spot on Lake Winnipesaukee, spuds downs at the very under used Weirs Beach town dock ..... like a drunk loser uncle, or something.

Boo-hoo-hoo-hoo ...... it will be missed ..... as long as it don't go spuds down near my location ..... Weirs Beach is where The Dive belongs and blends great!

My two cents ....... its business revenue must have suffered due to the 2020-pandemic as well as not being allowed by the MP to hit the two sand bar areas at Braun bay and west Alton in year-2020 with the contagious pandemic. In 2019 it was in the WeirsCam photo shot 24/7 which must have given it a big boost, as well. Something, it did not have in 2020. Plus, all those legal litigation expenses were probably enough to sink it without the pandemic happening.

Looks like it is down for the final count ...... 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 .... it's all over. Who knows .... will it be back?

Maybe it can cut a smok'n deal with the NH Liquor Commission and start doing business perched on top of The Witches, that rocky navigation hazard that used to be an island until it got washed in a big storm, or something. I do believe that The Witches must belong to the State of NH considering it is usually all under the water ...... so it's state property?

The Liquor Commission would run it and pay everyone NH-$3.26/hr plus tips, so's it could be a good revenue generator for the state ......

Come to The Dive's new location, permanently 365/24/7 located atop the scenic Witches rocky location for a good fun NH experience ...... what a super suggestion! ......

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-04-2021 at 08:57 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 07:40 AM   #3
gus62

I have heard that they could be negotiating with a dock owner on Paugus Bay.
gus62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 08:27 AM   #4
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

I'm not a customer of the Dive and I've never thought of it as an attractive addition to the lake but I thought it's last location was it's best possible landing spot.
I'm guessing it's fall from grace was accelerated by Covid.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 08:57 AM   #5
MotorHead

I think it is better suited for someplace at the bottom of the lake, well... for divers of course.
MotorHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2021, 09:16 AM   #6
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorHead View Post
I think it is better suited for someplace at the bottom of the lake, well... for divers of course.
I suggested before at "grounding it on the Witches".
Old 02-04-2021, 10:26 AM   #7
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

So much bitterness for a local business that invested a tremendous amount of money trying to survive.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (02-05-2021), Cobalt 25 (02-05-2021), map (02-14-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 10:32 AM   #8
Biggd

Not bitter at all. I have nothing against it but I think it's frugly and wouldn't want it in front of my lake home.
Like I said, I think it's most recent spot was it's best but now that's gone by the wayside so where does it end up next?
I'm sure where ever it ends up it will cause a stir!
Old 02-04-2021, 11:29 AM   #9
mowtorman

Default frugly

What if it's not a judgement but an observation? Hard to stay politically correct every moment. Bureau of Labor statistics 20% of businesses fail in the first year and 50% fail by the 5th year. Similar to the Mini Mount. Someone floats their indulgence on the lake and expects someone else to pick up the tab. I'm waiting for the first superyacht to call the lake home. Wouldn't the Dive make a great houseboat? Hot tub up top. One guy is floating a houseboat/barge platform down the end of Paugus Bay doubled his living space. Why shouldn't it take off like the northwest? They would sell like hotcakes.
mowtorman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mowtorman For This Useful Post:
Biggd (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 11:49 AM   #10
fatlazyless

Exclamation ... no houseboats allowed!

Have heard that houseboats are specifically excluded by state law from their use on Lake Winnipesaukee, in the great State of New Hampshire!

Whoever got that law passed ..... that was a smooth move .... and GOOD that it was done!

Would be interested to read the background history on the how, when, and where this state law or rule come to be?

So's The Dive should be aware.

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ....................................

You know, that Weirs Beach public dock location was the one in 100, Lake Winnipesaukee, happy spot for The Dive. 2020 must have been a truly difficult business year for a bar-restaurant business like The Dive. Maybe the City of Laconia and The Dive can get back together and renegotiate a new lease, and move onward and upward for the new year, 2021. All things considered, The Dive had a lot of happy local customers who ordinarily wouldn't be stopp'n at The Weirs.

Just like Sturgis, South Dakota ..... www.sturgis-sd.gov/webcams-in-and-around-sturgis .... maybe Laconia could consider a Weirs Beach webcam to promote it including Lakeside Ave, the Mount Washington cruise ship and the beach area.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-04-2021 at 12:38 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 11:52 AM   #11
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowtorman View Post
What if it's not a judgement but an observation? Hard to stay politically correct every moment. Bureau of Labor statistics 20% of businesses fail in the first year and 50% fail by the 5th year. Similar to the Mini Mount. Someone floats their indulgence on the lake and expects someone else to pick up the tab. I'm waiting for the first superyacht to call the lake home. Wouldn't the Dive make a great houseboat? Hot tub up top. One guy is floating a houseboat/barge platform down the end of Paugus Bay doubled his living space. Why shouldn't it take off like the northwest? They would sell like hotcakes.
A lake home would be a great use for it.

Hopefully, the lake home would be connected to some sewerage pipes to avoid any lake pollution issues......
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 12:03 PM   #12
Biggd

Maybe there is a vacant lot in your neighborhood they could move it to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post
A lake home would be a great use for it.

Hopefully, the lake home would be connected to some sewerage pipes to avoid any lake pollution issues......
Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 02-04-2021, 12:48 PM   #13
mowtorman

Default houseboats illegal?

Then why is there one on rte. 3 across from White Oakes Rd.? Spent last winter at Handy Landing. No engines, a barge, only water and power hook ups. No place to pump out so must drain back into the lake? If there is one why aren't there 50?
Old 02-04-2021, 12:54 PM   #14
joey2665

Quote:
Not sure I follow. Who is picking up the tab for the “dive”? No one. They filing the permits and the appeals to the board and offer to pay to extend the public dock. There was not public funding involved

Old 02-04-2021, 12:59 PM   #15
mowtorman

Default Free is Free

Joey how many commercial ventures do you know of that got a free slip for an 80 foot barge last summer? It was a good deal whether they went on to get permits and build docks or not. A cheeseburger, fries and a coke for every Laconia taxpayer would probably cover it.
Old 02-04-2021, 01:17 PM   #16
FlyingScot

These guys are act first, think later every time--then hope somebody is sympathetic for the simple reason that they are a business. Even as a businessperson, I'm not sure why being a business entitles one to more sympathy than others; but they keep banking on it:

First they're surprised that lots os folks don't like them because they are frugly (at least to some) and draw a crowd where it was formerly more peaceful.

Then they're surprised that various rules prevent them from docking pretty much anywhere they'd like.

Then they get a sweetheart deal at the Weirs, and they're either surprised again or they knew a year ago they could not really make good on their promise to build a dock.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
Biggd (02-04-2021), mowtorman (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 03:49 PM   #17
joey2665

Default Dive moving on from Weirs?

Quote:
Joey how many commercial ventures do you know of that got a free slip for an 80 foot barge last summer? It was a good deal whether they went on to get permits and build docks or not. A cheeseburger, fries and a coke for every Laconia taxpayer would probably cover it.
It wasn’t a free slip and in any event it wasn’t the towns slip it was East Coast Flight Craft and if they want to give out a slip for free that’s their business it had no impact on the taxpayers.

Please do you research before accusing someone of taking advantage of the taxpayers.

The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
DotRat (02-06-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 04:07 PM   #18
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
It wasn’t a free slip and in any event it wasn’t the towns slip it was East Coast Flight Craft and if they want to give out a slip for free that’s their business it had no impact on the taxpayers.

Please do you research before accusing someone of taking advantage of the taxpayers.

The spot at the end of the town docks was under the control of ECFC?

Old 02-04-2021, 04:10 PM   #19
winni83

I believe that the reference to the free slip relates to the use by The Dive in 2020 of the Weirs Dock owned by the City of Laconia and not the use by The Dive during 2019 of the East Coast Flightcraft space. Under the terms of the now terminated 3 year lease between the City of Laconia and The DIve, The Dive was to pay no rent, but was obligated to build a 1,376 expansion of the Weirs Dock at the sole expense of The Dive and to obtain any necessary State permits for the construction of the expansion. According to the Laconia Daily Sun article today, The Dive never applied to the State for the required permits.
winni83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 04:19 PM   #20
Biggd

I understand free market enterprise but there's no guarantee's when starting a new business. I don't like seeing a business go under but it happens all the time.
When you make a business plan you have to take into account all possible road blocks. This was a particularly risky venture from the get go that probably would have succeeded if not for the pandemic but that can be said of many businesses.

Old 02-04-2021, 04:24 PM   #21
mowtorman

Default Free slip

Joey put your guns away I'm glad you like the Dive or their food hopefully they land somewhere new for you.
Old 02-04-2021, 05:12 PM   #22
joey2665

Quote:
Joey put your guns away I'm glad you like the Dive or their food hopefully they land somewhere new for you.
I have never been but I am a small business owner and understand the investment and hurdles you have to jump. I do feel they have been unnecessarily maligned

Old 02-04-2021, 05:15 PM   #23
tummyman

Could be they did a good proof of concept here but found that a 10-15 week business might not be enough to make a decent profit. There might be other places in the south that would have a longer business season and make better financial sense. Just thinking.....
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 05:16 PM   #24
WinnisquamZ

I believe, they underestimated or were led to believe the dock build at Weirs was going to be approved. They must have done some early investigation and determined getting state approval to replace and build docks to today’s current standards was a monumental task

WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 05:40 PM   #25
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,146 Times in 893 Posts

Quote:
Then why is there one on rte. 3 across from White Oakes Rd.? Spent last winter at Handy Landing. No engines, a barge, only water and power hook ups. No place to pump out so must drain back into the lake? If there is one why aren't there 50?
It does not drain back into the lake. It has holding tanks that are emptied regularly. The man that owns it owns the land and dock that it is tied to. There is not enough land at that location to support a house so the houseboat was a logical solution.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
mowtorman (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 05:45 PM   #26
TiltonBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Have heard that houseboats are specifically excluded by state law from their use on Lake Winnipesaukee, in the great State of New Hampshire!

Whoever got that law passed ..... that was a smooth move .... and GOOD that it was done!

Would be interested to read the background history on the how, when, and where this state law or rule come to be?

So's The Dive should be aware..
Wrong!

House boats are not illegal on the lake. There are many live aboard boats located all around the lake. A houseboat is just a different style of live aboard boat.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
mowtorman (02-04-2021), Top-Water (02-05-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 06:06 PM   #27
mowtorman

Default Timeshare

Learn something new every day. So the dive could be a floating condo or timeshare........why hasn't anyone done this? A social club with slips on the side and memberships....so many ways to make money who needs a restaurant. I do wonder why there isn't an explosion of houseboats to increase living space?
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2021, 06:10 PM   #28
Biggd

A houseboat can only be lived in if docked. I don't believe it is legal to live in out in open water.

Old 02-04-2021, 06:47 PM   #29
Bear Guy

Someone copied the NH houseboat laws in this thread: https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...32&postcount=5

My unprofessional summary: houseboat can be occupied overnight only if anchored/moored/docked adjacent to owned land (or with permission of land owner). DES must be notified.
Thus, houseboats are certainly allowed, but restricted. The theoretical "floating condo" would have to be associated with a land lot; I see concentrations of these on Winni that I call marinas.
Bear Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 07:30 PM   #30
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Wrong!

House boats are not illegal on the lake. There are many live aboard boats located all around the lake. A houseboat is just a different style of live aboard boat.
I'm guessing we don't see a lot of houseboats on the lake due to the issue of what to do with them in the winter..... They're quite big to keep hauling in and out of the water each year, and the costs may be too prohibitive.
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 07:52 PM   #31
frank m.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Have heard that houseboats are specifically excluded by state law from their use on Lake Winnipesaukee,
What does this mean... that houseboats are banned from Winnipesaukee or that certain rules don't apply to them? Please elaborate.
frank m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 07:57 PM   #32
Biggd

I use to see some over in Gilford at that marina around the corner from Patricks going towards Alton on the left. The ones that I saw weren't that big, maybe 24 ft built on a pontoon, not much more difficult than taking a pontoon out of the water. That was years ago, back when B May Dennys was on the corner.
Quote:
I'm guessing we don't see a lot of houseboats on the lake due to the issue of what to do with them in the winter..... They're quite big to keep hauling in and out of the water each year, and the costs may be too prohibitive.
Old 02-04-2021, 10:44 PM   #33
XCR-700

Question

This might be off-topic or taboo, but the last thread about the Dive just got locked (The Dive) anyone know why?

Mine seems to be the last post, and I'm just wondering if it was something I said that got it shut down or some other reason,,, It wouldn't be the first time said something I probably shouldn't have

Thanks
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 10:52 PM   #34
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
This might be off-topic or taboo, but the last thread about the Dive just got locked (The Dive) anyone know why?

Mine seems to be the last post, and I'm just wondering if it was something I said that got it shut down or some other reason,,, It wouldn't be the first time said something I probably shouldn't have

Thanks
Good question—there's nothing I see there remotely troublesome, though it wouldn't be the first time I'm surprised by a locked thread here.

thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 11:06 PM   #35
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Houseboats

A houseboat is not necessarily a big square barge type vessel. It is defined by equipment such as a head and sleeping facilities. Your 20' cuddy could be a houseboat. Marinas are full of houseboats, but they are more commonly referred to as cabin cruisers, and people live on them all over the lake.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Bear Guy (02-05-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 07:19 AM   #36
TiltonBB

Quote:
Not necessarily. The travel lift a MVYC is large and handles the biggest boat currently docked there, a Maritomo X50, with a 14'11" beam and a dry weight of 41,887 pounds. There are many boats docked and winter stored MVYC in the 40 to 44 foot range. That would be a decent size for a houseboat.

There was a large houseboat docked and stored on the end of A Dock at MVYC for many years. I think it is more a matter of what style boat people prefer. Houseboats seem much more popular in other parts of the country.
Old 02-05-2021, 07:28 AM   #37
Paugus Bay Resident

Remember the house boat on A dock (they had the parallel slip). When we slipped at B3 around 2005 , the houseboat was a few slips over. Owners were a nice older couple. Was on it a few times - actually really nice inside, lots of room. Never saw it leave the slip though.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 08:34 AM   #38
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Good question—there's nothing I see there remotely troublesome, though it wouldn't be the first time I'm surprised by a locked thread here.
The first post in this thread was originally posted at the bottom of the 3 month old "The Dive" thread. Instead of having the news about the cancelled lease buried in an old thread I thought it was time to start a new thread with that news. I closed the other thread so we wouldn't have 2 threads discussing the same thing. Nothing sinister.

If other threads get hopelessly hijacked and completely veer off into other topics they may be closed or separated. Again, nothing sinister. I'm not deleting anything. I'm just better organizing things and making new information easier to find for casual readers.

In the future please ask questions like this in the Support Forum. This thread shouldn't be hijacked into a discussion about how I moderate this forum.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
Cobalt 25 (02-05-2021), Crusty (02-05-2021), Descant (02-05-2021), eillac@dow (02-06-2021), Garcia (02-05-2021), GodSmile (02-06-2021), Jersey Bob (02-05-2021), smith point boater (02-06-2021), TheTimeTraveler (02-05-2021), TiltonBB (02-05-2021), Top-Water (02-05-2021), upthesaukee (02-06-2021), XCR-700 (02-05-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 09:17 AM   #39
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
The first post in this thread was originally posted at the bottom of the 3 month old "The Dive" thread. Instead of having the news about the cancelled lease buried in an old thread I thought it was time to start a new thread with that news. I closed the other thread so we wouldn't have 2 threads discussing the same thing. Nothing sinister.

If other threads get hopelessly hijacked and completely veer off into other topics they may be closed or separated. Again, nothing sinister. I'm not deleting anything. I'm just better organizing things and making new information easier to find for casual readers.

In the future please ask questions like this in the Support Forum. This thread shouldn't be hijacked into a discussion about how I moderate this forum.
Thanks for clearing this up and pointing me to where I should ask such questions.

Not sure why I didn't think of the support forum.

I did look around for a button or other means to inquire about it, but I didnt think of the support forum.

Sorry for taking us off track here.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 11:24 AM   #40
Little Kin

Name:  IMG_3519.jpg
Views: 1368
Size:  95.5 KB

Hasn't aged well . . .
Little Kin is offline   Reply With Quote