Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2018, 03:43 PM   #1
jtb9212

Default Winnisquam Beach Campground - Belmont

I am posting this thread to see if anyone has any photos of the old Winnisquam Beach Campground in Belmont off of Union Road? My grandparents Nick and Betsy Nickerson bought the campground in 1967 and then sold it in 1985. They recently passed away - Nick in September and Betsy last week. They were 88 and 81 respectively and passed away within a few months of each other.

I know the family would appreciate any photos to reflect back when the family owned the campground.

Thank you for any pictures - history - stories - or anything that can be shared.
jtb9212 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jtb9212 For This Useful Post:
RayBob (12-22-2019)
Old 12-22-2019, 04:52 PM   #2
RayBob

Default Fond Memories...

Unfortunately, I don't have any pics from my stays at the campground, but I do have fond memories of Nick and Betsy!
Back in the early 70s, my parents were what was commonly referred to as "seasonal" campers (they left their RV there all summer) at Winnisquam Beach Campground. They would travel (from RI) to the campground every Friday night and spend the weekends relaxing there and then return home on Sunday afternoon. At 14 years old, I was one of the first campers that Nick and Betsy trusted and allowed to ride a dirt bike through the campground, and later I was fortunate enough to have been hired by them to work in the campground "sanitation" department. I was responsible for cleaning the 3 permanent restroom/shower facilities twice daily. At 14 or 15 years old, I actually learned to drive their old (1938-1940?) manual transmission (3 on the tree) Chevrolet pick up truck, as I drove around the campground twice a week emptying the trash cans from each occupied campsite into the back of the pick up truck. Unfortunately, I still had to rely on a licensed driver to drive the truck to the landfill, so I could empty the contents! They also had me working a few hours a day at the General Store! It was truly a great learning experience for me.

The first year I worked for them, they also agreed to allow me to stay with their family during the week (so that I would have some adult supervision while my parents were back home). I would stay with them in their mobile home which was parked behind the General Store, or at their primary residence in Belmont.
While Kim was closest to me in age, I also remember Kelly, Kyle, and Kristen.

My parents sold their RV a few years later, and I started racing motorcycles professionally, and lost touch with the Nickerson family.

Now, many years later, while I was "surfing" the internet, I was reading through the many postings on the Winnipesaukee Forum about Lake Winnisquam and Lake Winnipesaukee (back in the day, I belonged to the Winnisquam Boat and Ski Club and competed on both lakes), and I was saddened to hear of your loss, and thought that I would take this opportunity to share my positive experiences at the campground with the Nickerson family!
RayBob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RayBob For This Useful Post:
Descant (12-26-2019), garysanfran (12-22-2019), TheRoBoat (12-22-2019)
Old 03-06-2020, 02:34 PM   #3
jtb9212

Default Fond memories

Thank you very much for sharing that story and your memories. The family appreciates it very much.....
jtb9212 is offline   Reply With Quote