Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2011, 09:40 AM   #1
Ridgefarmer63

Default Maine / nh / vermont reciprocal weekend

Hope this link works. Looks like we can ride out of state for a three day this year.

http://www.nhsa.com/pdfs/Tri-State-Weekend.pdf
Ridgefarmer63 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ridgefarmer63 For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (12-09-2011)
Old 12-09-2011, 05:18 PM   #2
Belmont Resident

Default Maine

Although I understand why Maine did what they did and agree with it, it would be nice to have a tri-state registration.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:09 PM   #3
pinto

Default ME ridin

Already made reservations for Jackmon ME ...can't wait!
pinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:39 PM   #4
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts
Default Maine MSC?

The Moultonboro Snowmobile Club is talking about the possibility of a Maine club ride that weekend, maybe overnight. Let's get this ground good and frozen, then start hoping for snow!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:57 PM   #5
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Back in the days

I use to enjoy riding from here to Moosehead Lake, here to Montreal and here to Lake Champlain. I understand why we can't go to Canada without a passport. I can't understand what had happen between the three states. I understand VT point about the environment certificate. I can live with that. I just can't understand why Maine and VT want vehicle registration.

If we can drive our vehicles to the other states and bring our boats to the other states without registering, we should be able to ride our snow machines.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:03 PM   #6
Ridgefarmer63

Default Explain ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
Although I understand why Maine did what they did and agree with it, it would be nice to have a tri-state registration.
Yes, it would be nice to be able to ride Maine with a NH reg, I agree. I don't know the details of why they (Maine?) did what they did although I suspect it had to do with revenue.

You would think the extra money made by the state of Maine from Maine buisnesses would overcome the extra out of state reg's in the form of tax revenues collected on those buisnesses due to more riders/customers and money spent/earned. IDK.

Your thoughts?
Ridgefarmer63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:52 PM   #7
Belmont Resident

Default Hope this helps.

Ok first of all Mass & NH were reciprocating and may still be. Maine & NH were reciprocating. Maine & Mass to my knowledge were never reciprocating.
To get around this, Mass residents were registering in NH and riding into Maine.
Mass residents registering in NH had a very small corner cut off the registration, this was almost impossible to detect. So instead of just maybe issuing a completely different highly visible sticker they decided to just cancel all reciprocation.
Anyways Maine was loosing out on registration dollars as more and more riders did this.
This is what was explained to me by Fish and Game way back when they first made the change as I as a NH resident that had to make the change.
All the funds raised from registrations are suppose to go into maintaining the trails so I was all for it. Being a homeowner in Maine and experiencing first hand what the money does for trail improvements I still don’t mind paying the $89.00 registration and believe the trails in Maine are well worth the money. Hell we spend that much a day in fuel many days.
Most sleds are 8K-12K so even a $100 for a season pass is nothing. Most ski areas cost what 70-80-90 a DAY.
I do not think multiple state riding will ever happen. I can’t see how they would divide up the money between the states and it would be a tremendous revenue loss for NH & Maine.
As for local businesses they donate what they can to help the clubs out. Remember bad winters mean no income and with the economy many riders have been skimping where they can, packing lunches, and making meals instead of eating out. Many businesses in the Jackman, Rockwood and Greenville area are struggling. And some are not.
Personally I believe Maine offers the best riding and has the largest trail system in New England. No other state comes close to offering off trail riding that gets you out into the backwoods where no one else has been.
By the way we not only register as none residents, we also but in countless hours and even days helping out our snowmobile club 4.5 hours away.
KPW (12-13-2011), Ridgefarmer63 (12-13-2011)
Old 12-13-2011, 01:20 PM   #8
HomeWood

How about two different kinds of registrations? One would be for in state only and the other would be for a tri state or multi states. The multi state would be more money and the extra cost would be given to the states who participate. That way they get some of the revenue, but it saves the customer from buying 2, 3 or even 4 registrations.

It could even make sense to have a national registration. I'd love to tow my sled to MN, MI, WI, etc to ride, but I'm not going to completely cover my hood with registration stickers.

I would write a letter to the powers that be in government about this, but it would probably just confuse them.
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:30 PM   #9
Belmont Resident

Default I do not disagree

But the states would still loose millions in trail revenue, unless a tri-state registration cost the same as the total of individual registrations less maybe 5 or 10 per state.
I do know it all winds up providing us with the groomed trails we all enjoy riding on.
As mentioned before, when you add up the investment in tow vehicle, trailer, clothing, hotel or mortgage, fuel to get there and fuel to ride, the meager cost of registration is a pretty insignificant cost, even for multi state riders.

Last edited by Belmont Resident; 12-13-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:15 AM   #10
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default National Registration

I have to disagree. I can't imagine the feds taking over local control of the revenue to clubs.

Much of the money from NH snowmobile registration, like boat registration goes into the NH General Funds and channeled else where. The local clubs were lucky to get maintenance money from the state.

If I had to pay big bucks for registration, I am sorry to say, Maine will get my vote. Awesome trail networks, no speed limits and first class accommodations makes my day. No wonder Maine tourism dollars have increased more than NH, two folds.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:52 PM   #11
Skip

Exclamation Not true for New Hampshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
...Much of the money from NH snowmobile registration, like boat registration goes into the NH General Funds and channeled else where. The local clubs were lucky to get maintenance money from the state...
NH Snowmobile registrations fees do not get diverted to the general fund, and almost all Clubs receive much of their operating costs from funds derived by registration fees.

You are mistaking NH for Maine. In Maine a substantial portion of the funds raised by registration fees are siphoned off to support Maine's General Fund.
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:32 PM   #12
Belmont Resident

Default That may be true Skip but

If you compare the two states I think anyone who rides or has ridden in Maine will agree they do a great job with what they have to work with.
I believe the only thing keeping many riders from leaving NH for Maine as we did is the distance to get there. Price wise they are comparable, and Maine although at one time considered it, doesn’t have that restrictive 45mph speed limit.
There have been rides where I’ll almost bet my wife and I averaged at or near 45mph for the day.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:50 AM   #13
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
If you compare the two states I think anyone who rides or has ridden in Maine will agree they do a great job with what they have to work with.
I believe the only thing keeping many riders from leaving NH for Maine as we did is the distance to get there. Price wise they are comparable, and Maine although at one time considered it, doesn’t have that restrictive 45mph speed limit.
There have been rides where I’ll almost bet my wife and I averaged at or near 45mph for the day.
Not disputing that there are some significant differences between riding opportunities in the two States, as I also ride both. And I agree that for the bang for the buck, registration fees in both State's are a bargain when comparing the total cost of the sport.

My post was simply to debunk the false allegations attributed to the distribution of New Hampshire's registration fees.

A current breakdown of those fees, for a resident club member of NH, can be had by clicking HERE.
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skip For This Useful Post:
Irrigation Guy (12-23-2011), Ridgefarmer63 (12-21-2011)