Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2021, 05:18 AM   #1
Little Bear

Default Problem with dug well

The dug well at a family property has been invaded by rodents. Plumber discovered several dead ones floating in the well, and suspects there may be more that have sunk to the bottom of the well. Looking for a company that will come fix this problem - drain, clean and sanitize the well, and do whatever else is necessary to bring the well back so the water can be used again.
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 07:27 AM   #2
swnoel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bear View Post
The dug well at a family property has been invaded by rodents. Plumber discovered several dead ones floating in the well, and suspects there may be more that have sunk to the bottom of the well. Looking for a company that will come fix this problem - drain, clean and sanitize the well, and do whatever else is necessary to bring the well back so the water can be used again.
My guess is this isn't the first time this has happened, just the first time you realized it.
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 07:38 AM   #3
Little Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by swnoel View Post
My guess is this isn't the first time this has happened, just the first time you realized it.
I can almost guarantee that you are correct. These types of wells are easily contaminated.
Old 04-24-2021, 11:03 AM   #4
MotorHead

Are you on Bear Island ?
MotorHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 03:57 PM   #5
Little Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorHead View Post
Are you on Bear Island ?
No. The well is on a mainland property.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2021, 04:16 AM   #6
TheProfessor

For myself. I purchased a pump years ago. Sump pumb. with a hose.

For cleaning. Depends on what you mean for clean. Climbing in with a ladder and washing with detergent/bleach ?

Then you have to figure out how these critters are getting in.

If you can't do this yourself and don't have neighbors, friends, or relatives to do this. Then I guess - telephone a well company.

There are plenty of well companies around the Lakes Region.
Roth
Thomas
Daniels
and many more.

There used to be dedicated pump companies. Miller in Meredith was one. But sadly - he passed on.

Maybe someone else can chime in with suggestions.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 04:35 AM   #7
ApS

Question Suffocation?

The mice should have been able to move freely. Try inserting an 10-foot length of half-inch PVC pipe--capped so it floats.

Quote:
I can almost guarantee that you are correct.
These types of wells are easily contaminated.
Interesting occurrence.

Could an oxygen-free gas be introduced through natural inflow? Nitrogen from fertilizer? Maybe Carbon monoxide from a high-mounted generator? Carbon dioxide?

Not Radon...
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 05:10 AM   #8
Little Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
For myself. I purchased a pump years ago. Sump pumb. with a hose.

For cleaning. Depends on what you mean for clean. Climbing in with a ladder and washing with detergent/bleach ?

Then you have to figure out how these critters are getting in.

If you can't do this yourself and don't have neighbors, friends, or relatives to do this. Then I guess - telephone a well company.

There are plenty of well companies around the Lakes Region.
Roth
Thomas
Daniels
and many more.

There used to be dedicated pump companies. Miller in Meredith was one. But sadly - he passed on.

Maybe someone else can chime in with suggestions.
Thanks for the suggestions l. By cleaning, I mean doing whatever is necessary to the well to make the water usable again. I personally would never use it for drinking, but it should still meet quality standards for showering and doing dishes.
Old 04-26-2021, 05:16 AM   #9
swnoel

Are you using concrete well tiles or is it an old stone well? Is this your primary well or a backup? How deep is it?
Old 04-26-2021, 05:39 AM   #10
Little Bear

Quote:
Are you using concrete well tiles or is it an old stone well? Is this your primary well or a backup? How deep is it?
It’s concrete tiles, and is probably 30’ deep, or thereabouts. It’s the primary water source for this seasonal property.
Old 04-26-2021, 06:19 AM   #11
swnoel

Quote:
It’s concrete tiles, and is probably 30’ deep, or thereabouts. It’s the primary water source for this seasonal property.
That's pretty deep for a dug well with tiles. Is the top capped with a concrete cap? There's no way any creature could get in properly capped with concrete. If it's not 30 foot you could get a ladder and a pump , pump it down, clean out the well and bleach it. I take it you have a shallow pump with foot valve. If you do and chose not to convert it to submersible ,I'd replace the foot valve while someone is down there. Is it possible to pump out the well with the pump already in the well? You could have a second person on top pulling up a 5 gallon bucket and muck it out until it was clean or use a second small pump.
Old 04-26-2021, 06:51 AM   #12
Little Bear

Quote:
That's pretty deep for a dug well with tiles. Is the top capped with a concrete cap? There's no way any creature could get in properly capped with concrete. If it's not 30 foot you could get a ladder and a pump , pump it down, clean out the well and bleach it. I take it you have a shallow pump with foot valve. If you do and chose not to convert it to submersible ,I'd replace the foot valve while someone is down there. Is it possible to pump out the well with the pump already in the well? You could have a second person on top pulling up a 5 gallon bucket and muck it out until it was clean or use a second small pump.
Maybe it’s not 30’ - I think that was a bad guess. It was dug in the 60’s, and I do remember people putting a ladder down the well and climbing in. It does have a concrete cap, but I’ll have to look at it to see if there are any gaps that might be big enough for these rodents to pass through. There’s also a hole above the waterline inside the well where a pipe passes through, so that will have to be checked as well. All I know is that I’m not climbing in that well, so will hopefully find a well company that can do this type of work.
Old 04-26-2021, 09:31 AM   #13
chocophile

Default Treatment System

You could consider a treatment system consisting of a series of particle filters and a UV sterilizer. A dug well will always have some level of microbial contamination, even after you address your immediate problem.

Lots of people do this, including us, with very good results.
chocophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 10:16 AM   #14
WinnisquamZ

Very interesting reading about dug wells. I assumed most if not all were no longer in use. With today’s technology and resources why are these types of wells still in use? Not judging anyone, just ignorant of facts. Why not drill?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 11:08 AM   #15
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
Very interesting reading about dug wells. I assumed most if not all were no longer in use. With today’s technology and resources why are these types of wells still in use? Not judging anyone, just ignorant of facts. Why not drill?
Cost. Money. Access.

A dug well is much less expensive then a drilled/artesian well with pump and tank.

One probably would not find a dug well on lakefront property. Just go inland a bit. But some older camps may have a dug well or use lake water.
Old 04-26-2021, 11:25 AM   #16
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

OP: what do you use for drinking water?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 11:27 AM   #17
Little Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
OP: what do you use for drinking water?

Jugs of spring water.
Old 04-26-2021, 11:33 AM   #18
Little Bear

Quote:

There are several dug wells still being used in the vicinity of ours. They were all put in during the late 50's / early 60's when the properties were being built. And they are lakefront (but not on Winni).
Old 04-26-2021, 11:45 AM   #19
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Jugs of spring water.
Would it be worth putting a legit well in or working with lake water to solve all the problems, or is it cost/situation prohibitive?

thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 11:53 AM   #20
WinnisquamZ

Until the late 80’s we carried in drinking water and pumped from the lake for all other needs. A well was drilled in 87 if I remember correctly. I would identify safe drinking and bathing water as a priority for any household.

The Following User Says Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
Little Bear (04-26-2021)
Old 04-26-2021, 11:56 AM   #21
fatlazyless

Photos of abandoned, old dug wells in nearby towns of Thornton and Sandwich ...... http://www.scenicnh.com/blog/2016/08...ned-dug-wells/ says they were usually 10-15' deep.

There is a roadside spring water discharge pipe on Route 3 in south Plymouth known as Crystal Springs Natural Water where there are many local residents who use it to fill water containers for home water use. I have tasted it and it tastes like the absolute finest, best, most clean and happy water anywhere in the entire world ..... http://www.foursquare.com/v/crystal-...96370407d7f194 ....... plus the price is my type of a price ..... totally free ..... and everyone is always extremely polite and well mannered, there.

So, eat your heart out all you artesian well, home owners with problem water ...... the #1 best water around is totally free ..... at the Crystal Spring on Route 3 in south Plymouth, NH.

Driving from Lake Winnipesaukee to Plymouth Walmart for a $19.88 pit crew, oil change; get off at Exit-24 in Ashland and take Route 3-north, and you will soon come to it on the left after crossing town line from Bridgewater to Plymouth at the huge Bridgewater, wood to electricity, Power Plant...... is usually a car or two or three parked there ..... all year 'round ...... getting watered. There must be a few hundred locals from nearby who prefer this Crystal Springs side-of-the-road water to what comes out of their kitchen faucet.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 04-26-2021 at 02:05 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 12:06 PM   #22
Little Bear

Quote:
Would it be worth putting a legit well in or working with lake water to solve all the problems, or is it cost/situation prohibitive?

Yes, yes and it's not my decision. I can only offer assistance to the family member who owns the property.
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Bear For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (04-26-2021)
Old 04-26-2021, 12:26 PM   #23
TheProfessor

Quote:
Maybe someone could throw out some $ numbers for the cost to put in a "legit" well ?
Old 04-26-2021, 01:07 PM   #24
chocophile

Default Drilled Well Costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
Maybe someone could throw out some $ numbers for the cost to put in a "legit" well ?
In 2019, we got two estimates for a drilled well. Neither company would provide a fixed-price quote. They quote $/foot drilled plus cost for trenching, well pump, pressure tank, fittings, etc. The variable is drill depth; if there isn't sufficient water flow, they keep drilling.

Both gave a range of $15K to $20K, based on the depth of other wells in the area.
chocophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 01:27 PM   #25
WinnisquamZ

Sure many of you would disagree, but I would think clean water is more important then a boat or car

Old 04-27-2021, 05:04 AM   #26
fatlazyless

The well drillers drill a hole into the ground maybe with a general idea how deep based on other wells in the area. How deep and how's the water quality is an unknown. Some drilled wells have a problem with small stone particles or bad taste or radon or arsenic.

Water treatment companies like www.culligancentralnh.com will install a treatment facility in your basement or heated garage for your well if you are not pleased with the initial faucet water after the well is first installed.

All things considered like the expense and unknown well drilling result cause people to stick with what they got for water, and go to the store for a five gal container of trusted quality water somewhat similar to the Route 3, road side Crystal Spring in south Plymouth ..... bring your plastic container(s).

Welcome to New Hampshire ...... water, water, everywhere ..... and not a drop to drink ..... or something like that! The www.mwra.com ..... is not in N.H. ...... live free or die ...... for your water ..... you is on your own water!
Old 05-12-2021, 04:26 AM   #27
ApS

Lightbulb Clean Water Isn't Easy...Recalls...

Quote:
Sure many of you would disagree, but I would think clean water is more important then a boat or car
I remember recalls of bottled water going back 20 years. That first recall involved stores around Ossipee and western Maine.

Insert "bottled water recalls" into Google, and you'll find instances everywhere. Even Florida's ample springs have produced a recall in vaunted Publix supermarkets--citing "harmless mold". I've seen it myself, and wondered:

https://www.waterworld.com/drinking-...r-from-shelves

Coca-Cola produces "Smartwater" at $2 per quart. Made alkaline for the tummy, I drink it with my prescription medications with evening meals.

Lake Winnipesaukee water is distilled in this household for drinking. Our gallon home distillers put out a lot of heat for about six hours, so both distillers are on timers, scheduled to take off the morning's chill in the cottage--a double-win. Even after 20 years, our antique Japanese-made distillers are still $75 at Walmart.

That "critter" problem is discussed elsewhere on the Internet. Solutions, such as screens and shields are as close as Home Depot.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote