Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2018, 12:54 PM   #1
bigdog

Default Overnight trip to Vermont

I know this may seem like blasphemy, posting to a Winnie Forum

Planning to wifey on an overnight trip through Vermont, to see some new scenery. Trip highlights will be Woodstock and Quechee Gorge, then may travel South on RT-100 a bit, crossing over to Keene, and then head North, back to our starting point.

In Woodstock, we'll be shopping and taking in the sites, and plan to stay overnight there.

Looking for recommendations for Hotels, Restaurants, places of interest to visit.

Thanks !
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 01:23 PM   #2
Water Camper

If you have time check out the Shelburne Museum and take a trip on the ferry on Lake Chaplain.

Just a suggestion,
Bill
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 01:31 PM   #3
Biggd

Thanked 1,070 Times in 675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
I know this may seem like blasphemy, posting to a Winnie Forum

Planning to wifey on an overnight trip through Vermont, to see some new scenery. Trip highlights will be Woodstock and Quechee Gorge, then may travel South on RT-100 a bit, crossing over to Keene, and then head North, back to our starting point.

In Woodstock, we'll be shopping and taking in the sites, and plan to stay overnight there.

Looking for recommendations for Hotels, Restaurants, places of interest to visit.

Thanks !
Many years ago we stayed at the Hawk Inn and it was very nice. I've talked to people that have stayed there recently and had a great experience also.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 02:06 PM   #4
mneck1814

I am from Hartford, VT, Quechee is one of the 5 Villages of Hartford. There are a lot of hotel and inn options. Checkout the Quechee Inn at Marshland Farms, the Parker House Inn, the Woodstock Inn and On the River. The Prince and the Pauper is a perennial favorite for fine dining in Woodstock. Worthy Kitchen has great food and local beer list. The food at the Woodstock Inn is only so-so.

I highly recommended checking out Simon Pearce in Quechee. Lunch at Simon Pearce is great - dinner is nice, too. They have glass blowing demonstrations going on all day, every day.
mneck1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 02:32 PM   #5
Major

Default Simon Pearce

I second a lunch at Simon Pearce. I usually get the cheddar cheese soup and the Shepard's Pie. Both are excellent!
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2018, 02:38 PM   #6
Donzi Minx

Smile Overnight trip to Vermont

Been a while since I was there but Basin Harbor Club in Vergennes was an
outstanding take for dinner while in the Shelburne, Lake Champlain area.

Ferry over to New York and the Chasm was a good take as well. Did that in the fall so not too sure about that at the end of March.

What I can tell you while on the ferry over was how brown the wake was,
which brings me to how fortunate we are to enjoy and preserve the pristine waters of Winni.
Donzi Minx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 03:33 PM   #7
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Camper View Post
If you have time check out the Shelburne Museum and take a trip on the ferry on Lake Chaplain.

Just a suggestion,
Bill
That would take them 2+/- hours in the wrong direction from their planned itinerary. Though I do agree that it is a worthwhile place to visit.
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 05:03 PM   #8
BrownstoneNorth

Default Woodstock - Mountain Creamery Mile-high Apple Pie

Bakery is downstairs from their breakfast & lunch restaurant. Restaurant is only so-so, but the pie is fantastic. We've been making annual pilgrimages from Wolfeboro to take one or two back and freeze for company (a couple of times we even took them back frozen to Washington, DC — yes, they're that good). I recommend calling in advance to ask for UNbaked frozen.

Also, I agree with others recommending Simon Pearce. My son & daughter-iin-law thought their dinner there last summer was excellent...and of course they brought back two frozen apple pies from the Mountain Creamery to NYC. :-)

http://www.mountaincreameryvt.com/apple-pie.html
BrownstoneNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:35 AM   #9
JanN

Default Interesting Area

We stayed a couple of nights in the Woodstock area a couple of years ago. October Country Inn, about 13 miles out of Woodstock in Bridgewater Corners was very nice. Almost across the street was the Long Trail Brewing Company where we had good beer and a nice dinner. In Woodstock, the Marsh-Billings Rockefeller National Historical Park was very interesting and there is a farm museum there too. The Calvin Coolidge Homestead is in Plymouth which is not far.

If you like cheese and maple syrup, SugarbushFarm is just out of town.

The Woodstock Inn looks very nice, right in the center of town, and friends have stayed there and enjoyed it.

Everything I mentioned has a website you can check out.

Hope this is helpful and that you enjoy your getaway!
JanN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:34 AM   #10
Barney Bear

Default Sweet as Maple Sugar 🍁

Very impressive and thoughtful responses above. Shows what a wonderful and informative forum we share. Thank you, Webmaster Don. 🐻
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 07:24 PM   #11
Dave R

If you like machines, the American Precision Museum in Windsor VT is really cool and nearby where you'll be. I learned of it while at the Shelburne Museum last year, which is astoundingly cool, but closed this time of year and too far from where you will be. It's also a very full day to two days worth of Museum...
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 07:53 PM   #12
AB_Monterey

The Alchemist.

If you're a beer person, it's a must stop.
AB_Monterey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:00 PM   #13
Patiently Watching

We spend a lot of time in Stowe
Great town
I second The Alchemist.
Pie Casso for lunch and Harrison's for dinner.
Great shopping and skiing too.
Patiently Watching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 06:44 AM   #14
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
If you like machines, the American Precision Museum in Windsor VT is really cool and nearby where you'll be..
Right up my alley. Had a visit 5 years ago. Really cool for a mechanical guy like myself. There was also a nice covered bridge nearby
Old 03-28-2018, 06:43 PM   #15
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Right up my alley. Had a visit 5 years ago. Really cool for a mechanical guy like myself. There was also a nice covered bridge nearby
Took my 85 year-old dad there last November on a spur of the moment trip to pick up some studded Nokians that I got for a great price on craigs list in Lebanon. We both really enjoyed it and the Nokians rock in the snow/ice.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 12:49 PM   #16
betterthanbacon

Hey BigDog,
I myself live in the Woodstock area also, a little town called Reading. There are several things to do in the area. For lodging it might be a bit cheaper to stay in White River Jct. As the area offers chain hotels. From there you can drive through Quechee to get to Woodstock. In Quechee Simon Pierce is a cool place to check out. They blow glass there and also have a great restaurant. You may also want to stop quickly and check out the Quechee Gorge. These are both free things to do. In Woodstock there is the Billings farm museum that may be something to check out. Woodstock is a quaint town that is great to stroll through. If you are into covered bridges there is the Taftsville bridge which is between Quechee and Woodstock. Woodstock offers a covered bridge in town and another west on Route 4. If you go out route 4 you may want to go a little further to Killington Resort and take a ride up the Mtn. on the gondola. The ride on 100 south is beautiful and there are several small towns that you will go through. Weston offers the bowl factory and the famous Vt. Country Store.
If you decide to go east to Windsor- The Birthplace of Vermont- there are several things to do there. Harpoon Brewery, Another Simon Pierce but a modern version of the one in Quechee, The American precision museum, Our Nations longest covered bridge. The Windsor/Cornish covered bridge, which spans over the Ct. river. And if you are into smoked meat just down the road from the American Precision Museum and the covered bridge is a place called Green Mtn. Smokehouse. They are a USDA processing facility, but you can purchase their delicious goods in the small retail store out front. They received the Yankee Magazine Food award for Best Bacon in New England. Sooo.. as you can see you have lots of fun options. The only thing I would suggest is to go online and check to make sure what you want to see is open as we are going into the shoulder season.
Enjoy your time and safe travels.
betterthanbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 06:58 PM   #17
bigdog

Thanks to all for the great suggestions, much appreciated !

Bigdog
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote