Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 11:36 AM   #1
bresmom82

Default Weathervane Restaurant at the Weirs?

I have heard some rumors that they are opening up a Weathervane Restaurant in Weirs Beach. Any one hear about it? Just curious!!
Old 05-18-2011, 11:48 AM   #2
AmericanBoatClub

yes it is a Weather-vane "lobster in the rough" same that they have in Portsmouth, not like the normal restaurants, wonder where they got such a great idea to branch out the best, most unknown, deck in Portsmouth.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:42 PM   #3
Greene's Basin Girl

I drove through the Weirs yesterday and saw the sign for the Weathervane. I thought that it looked like the same logo on the sign that the other Weathervane's have. Now I know that to be true.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:40 PM   #4
RANGER CANOE CO

Thumbs up Oh Boy

YUM - YUM Fried Clams.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:10 PM   #5
jrc

Oh boy! Finally a place to get lobster near the Weirs.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2011, 03:32 PM   #6
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Thumbs down Weathervane

Never did like Weathervane, since I grew up with Newick's and 'Old Sawyer's' seafood. My favorite today is Pop's. Weathervane can never beat Pop's!
Herweck (06-01-2011)
Old 05-18-2011, 03:41 PM   #7
Janet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green's Basin Girl View Post
I drove through the Weirs yesterday and saw the sign for the Weathervane. I thought that it looked like the same logo on the sign that the other Weathervane's have. Now I know that to be true.
Where at the Weirs will it be located?
Old 05-18-2011, 04:39 PM   #8
robmac

It is true the weathervane is opening a seasonal take-out styly venue. It is located on the pier at the Weirs.
The Following User Says Thank You to robmac For This Useful Post:
Janet (05-19-2011)
Old 05-18-2011, 06:56 PM   #9
Rattlesnake Guy

That would seem strange for a landlord to rent to two seafood takeout businesses at the same time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rattlesnake Guy For This Useful Post:
Winnigirl (05-18-2011)
Old 05-18-2011, 07:52 PM   #10
robmac

I only know the deal with the Weathervane.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:58 PM   #11
LongBay

Default Hope their take-out is better than their sit-down

I have to agree with BroadHopper, I was not impressed with Weathervane and once was enough for me. Hopefully they will fill the void created when Tamarack changed ownership some time ago.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:31 PM   #12
thegreyghost

I have had some good meals at the Weathervane. I say any new business in the Weirs should be welcomed rather then a vacant building. It also gives people another choice and another reason to come to the Weirs. I give them credit in this economy for opening another location. I wish them luck!
Old 05-19-2011, 12:59 PM   #13
SIKSUKR

Not a Weathervane fan either. Took mom to the Bedford local on M-day and was not impressed. Already good seafood places there now. imo
Old 05-20-2011, 03:51 PM   #14
rick35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Not a Weathervane fan either. Took mom to the Bedford local on M-day and was not impressed. Already good seafood places there now. imo
We live a couple of miles from the Bedford Weathervane and we stopped going some time ago. The food has gone down hill and I think it's that they're very inconsistent. I'm not so sure their fish is always fresh.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:27 PM   #15
RailroadJoe

The Weathervane (all their places) has been going down hill for years. Newicks in Dover is still the best around, but they are going up in prices also.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:31 PM   #16
Meredith lady

Default Weathervane

Not to split hairs, Robmac, but the Weathervane is coming to Weirs Beach this summer but it is not on the Pier. They will be opening on the boulevard in the building that housed the BBQ place last year, across from Tower Hill Tavern. This location is across the railroad tracks from the Pier. The Pier businesses will remain the same. Going down the Pier is The T shirt shop ($2.00 sunglasses and awesome hoodies), then the pizza/fried dough shop (terrific fried dough), then kevin's cafe (new menu!), then Sugar and Spice (fudge/candy/ice cream/homemade caramel popcorn), then Winni Woods ( stuff your own bear/sand art), then the arcade, then Anthony's on the Pier is at the very end over the water. Also at the very end of the Pier (on your right) is Anchor Marine. kevin and myself welcome the Weathervane...better to have someone there than an empty storefront! Also, at the top of the Pier (facing the boulevard) to your right is the "Little Pink Trailer" owned by our friends Connie and Ray. Stop by and say hi-they are the nicest people! Personally, my feeling is that the Weirs is big enough for all of us and we welcome the chance to meet new people and see old friends! kevin's on the Pier will be opening Thursday, May 26th-please stop by and say hello!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Meredith lady For This Useful Post:
bresmom82 (05-21-2011), Rattlesnake Guy (05-20-2011)
Old 05-20-2011, 05:39 PM   #17
Nagigator

Default all are welcome

Bring on summer! Both places have their merit...........
Old 05-30-2011, 12:51 AM   #18
Greene's Basin Girl

My sister, Redwing and myself tried the Weathervane at the Weirs for dinner. It was very good. I had ribs and the others had lobster salad rolls. My ribs were great and they loved the lobster salad ( not to much mayo). The french fries and onion rings were also delightful. The server ( Diana) was very good. We will certainly go back.
The Following User Says Thank You to Greene's Basin Girl For This Useful Post:
Meredith lady (05-31-2011)
Old 05-30-2011, 07:18 AM   #19
idoso

Thumbs up Weathervane?

My husband & I also went to the Weathervane on Sat. Both of our meals were good. He enjoyed his haddock sandwich. My chichen ceaser wrap was excellent. They were attentive to the fact it took a little longer then expected for our food to arrive and gave us the meal on the house. The only thing I can say is if your expecting the regular Weathervane menu forget it. It is definitley for the tourist. I expect they will do well through the season.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:07 PM   #20
Winnigirl83

Disclaimer: I'm not a huge fan of Weathervane's.

I'd rather give my money to one of the locals. For my seafood, I go to (in no particular order):

1) Pop's - if I want to sit on the deck, good portions
2) Union Diner - if I want to sit in A/C fresh, reasonable, good portions
3) Sawyer's - if I want to sit outside with my ice cream when I'm done eating
Old 05-30-2011, 06:39 PM   #21
NHskier

We also tried the new Weathervane on Sunday evening. Very nice upstairs dining area. We both had fish sandwiches - very good, served with home-made chips. Service was very good. We'll be going back.

NHskier
Old 05-31-2011, 12:12 PM   #22
valhala

Default Weathervane pleasant surprise

I have never been a fan of the Weathervane restaurants but we had company this weekend and took a chance. The kids wanted to go the Weirs and the arcades, so we hesitantly decided to try the Weathervane because they had a nice clean place to sit upstairs. We had the fish sandwiches and also thought they were quite good. So, while not gourmet, it's a nice addition to the Weirs area. Hope they can maintain the quality and cleanliness.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:27 AM   #23
dragonfly03246

Default Dinner Friday Night

We went to the Weathervane Friday night and had a great meal. I emailed them earlier in the day to see when they would be opening and was told that they were opening that night at 5PM for dinner but they weren't sure if they would have liquor yet. They had just received their occupancy permit at 2:30 and was racing to Concord for their license but weren't sure if they would make it on time.

We arrived at around 6PM and was rewarded to not only a great meal but also cold beer. All the staff was friendly and attentive and our food arrived pretty quickly. We sat upstairs and my husband and his friend had the Scallops and fries and I had the Chicken tenders. Both were great and the prices weren't bad either. I didn't catch her name but the Manager?/Owner? came over and gave us a sample of her Lime Bite punch which was really great. I think I found a new summer drink!

We will definitely go back!
Old 06-01-2011, 11:31 AM   #24
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanBoatClub View Post
yes it is a Weather-vane "lobster in the rough" same that they have in Portsmouth, not like the normal (Weathervane) restaurants (menu), .
Here is their LOBSTER in the ROUGH MENU from the Portsmouth location from last year.

The Following User Says Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
Nagigator (06-01-2011)
Old 06-23-2011, 02:04 PM   #25
Irish mist

I'll just pass this along: A family member said she had a lobster roll there yesterday & it was very, very good. All meat. One of the best lobster rolls she has ever had & she has had a lot around the area Lobster is wasted on me cause I find it tasteless as rubber.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:33 PM   #26
Oletimer

Ditto to Irish mist's comment re lobster! Glad there is someone else who feels the same as me!
Old 06-23-2011, 07:35 PM   #27
Rattlesnake Guy

Me too. Perhaps we can form a support group.

Meridith Lady knows what I prefer in a grilled hot dog roll.

I just want to know who tried it first and thought, hey, I think I will break this rock open to see how it taste?

That said, I support everyone else's love of them and realize that we are in the minority.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rattlesnake Guy For This Useful Post:
Meredith lady (06-26-2011)
Old 06-23-2011, 11:57 PM   #28
Irish mist

Well, there's 3 of us The wife & kids are always trying to get me to try lobster......just one more time. They are sure I will "get it" the next time. Lol, perhaps we are missing the lobster "taste gene" or something,
Old 06-24-2011, 06:46 AM   #29
rrr

Make that four! Give me a filet any day!
Old 06-26-2011, 03:06 PM   #30
Meredith lady

make that 5! Never tasted lobster...
Old 06-26-2011, 04:08 PM   #31
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I often don't care for lobster but when it is GOOD, which is rare, it is wonderful, nice and sweet and tasty. I truly think wonderful lobster is rare. I think one thing that makes it lose it's taste, is it has been previously frozen.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:16 PM   #32
Don

Default Weathervane Review

I had lunch at the new Weathervane restaurant at Weirs Beach today and wanted to post my review and a few pictures.

When you first walk in the open kitchen is visible on the right and you are greeted by a host or hostess is the small entryway. There are some tables downstairs but to really appreciate the renovations you have to visit the upstairs dining room. It is large and open with cathedral ceilings, ceiling fans and flat screen TVs. The views of the Weirs all around through the many windows are surprisingly good. I don't know what was up there before but it's a great spot.

It was about 1 o'clock on a Sunday and they had many occupied tables, although it was still less than half full. All the staff had their smiles on and everyone said hello and gave us a friendly greeting. After choosing a booth our waitress Maria greeted us promptly and delivered their unusual wood framed menus.

I ordered the lobster roll (picture below) and my daughter ordered chicken fingers. Our drinks arrived in a few minutes and soon after our meals were there.

The lobster roll ($14.99) was served in a cute basket with french fries ($1 extra) and a pickle. As you can see in the picture Weathervane's lobster roll is a hot dog roll filled with lettuce and topped with a layer of lobster claws and meat. It looked like Maine or Canadian lobster, definitely not langostino. The lobster was tasty and was mixed with a light mayonnaise sauce. I asked for a little drawn butter on the side and that really brought out the flavor. I would rate it very good. If I was going to nitpick I'd prefer a little less lettuce and a little more lobster but maybe that's because I still dream about the double stuffed rolls at the old Waldo Peppers. For me WP lobster rolls set the standard that all others will forever be judged by.

My daughter's chicken fingers and fries ($9.99) were also good and they were gobbled up quickly.

Overall the meal was very good and I'll definitely return with the entire family to try some other menu items. The location is great, the restaurant is very clean and inviting and the service was excellent. It's a great addition to Weirs Beach.
Attached Images

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Don For This Useful Post:
bclaker (07-22-2011), bresmom82 (06-27-2011), trfour (07-03-2011), VtSteve (07-03-2011)
Old 06-27-2011, 05:59 AM   #33
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts
Default Good review

Nice review and pics Don!

Thank you
Old 06-28-2011, 09:30 AM   #34
NHBoat70

Default Experience Ok

I went there for the first time last weekend and it was just as I stated in the title, "OK". The menu is not very diverse, if you a healthy nut, you will not be able to eat here since 80 percent of the food is fried. The other non-fried food has very little flavor and it particularly over-priced in my personal opinion. I must say the upstairs is nice, however, the table I sat at was very wobbly and it could not be fixed. I went there once and I'm in no rush to go back.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:42 AM   #35
Happy Gourmand

Default Weathervane

We stopped in a week or so ago for a quick lunch with our grandson. Very attentive and friendly wait staff.
Everything we got was fresh and well prepared...excellent.
The menu is quite limited though...I would imagine that they will expand it at some point.
Great views from the second floor dining room.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:59 PM   #36
baja-mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHBoat70 View Post
if you a healthy nut, you will not be able to eat here since 80 percent of the food is fried. The other non-fried food has very little flavor and it particularly over-priced in my personal opinion.
That is my biggest problem in eating out because my husband is a major healthy nut and would always prefer to eat at home since then he knows exactly what he is eating. Fried food and sauteed in butter is poison to him. If more restaurants offered some healthy choice menu options that tasted good, then maybe it would bring in more customers like us. Let me know if you know of some because I'd love to eat out more. Thanks!
Old 06-28-2011, 03:03 PM   #37
cillovely

Another lobster "hater" here. I've tried it and at a decent place, that my picky friend loves, but just don't like it. Too chewy. I'm all about texture of food. Hate shrimp, too, same reason.

A few of you mentioned Newicks. Oh I loved that place. I used to go to the Merrimack NH one when I lived about 30 minutes away in MA. Sadly that one is gone and I don't live that close to the NH border anymore.

I've been to two Weathervanes in my life and not impressed with either. When I come up for my week this summer, I don't think I'll make the trip. I am very much looking forward to checking Pop's out based on someone's earlier post with a fabulous looking dinner.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:55 PM   #38
VtSteve

Very cool review Don, and one of the best food pics I've seen to date. I'd prefer chips rather than fries. Nice looking roll there. Looks like a more appropriate restaurant for the Weirs than many. Great addition, hope they do well.

Not much of a Fried food eater myself, but I do love the clams.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:51 AM   #39
MaidenCove07

Thumbs up Pleasantly surprised and impressed

I hope more Forum members will give these folks a chance.

I too had frequented the Bedford Weathervane and found them to be lacking the motivation to keep their quality, but the Chester spot has always been consistently good (though I only get there perhaps once a year).

Since Lobster in the Rough opened, I've been there twice to give it a try. Once during Bike Week which isn't necessarily the best time to get food in the Weirs, but I was delighted by the service and the food. The lobster is Out of this world. Steaming it rather than boiling it makes more of a difference that I ever knew. It was tender and juicy, sweet and delicious. My friends had the haddock plates and raved about the fish.

Last night we needed a spot for a late diner and stopped in again as we didn't want to have to drive anywhere, so we strolled up and they were still open. The service was again outstanding even though we were just on the edge of closing time. We never felt rushed and because we were last in the place, we got a tag-team of servers each as friendly as the last.

This time, my dining partner had the ribs. I was very, very concerned about ordering non-seafood meals in a seafood specialty restaurant, but the sauce was described as tangy, but not spicy, full of flavor. The meat didn't necessarily fall off the bone, but was very good and she'd have them again.

I had the clam strip special and my other pal had a lobster roll (it was too late and we'd had a few too many cocktails to fight with the shell of a whole lobster ).

The clam strips were very obviously fresh not frozen, and were so sweet and tender! YUMMY! The onion nuggets that came with the lobster roll were also hand battered, not frozen and very tender. My lobster roll was superb. Mostly claw and knuckle meat, but very juicy and sweet, not too much mayo or greenery, and a well toasted roll.

Like some of you, I too was concerned about a chain restaurant, but it seems that Lobster in the Rough is trying to make it's own name with the Weathervane brand as back up.

We asked a few questions of the gals there and they have started with a base menu and are asking for suggestions as to what else customers want on the menu. I was asked to fill out a comment card and was asked to be specific about the things we were looking for. I thought it maybe good to have a la carte orders of seafood in pint and quart sizes so you can mix and match the foods you like. A surf and turf plate with ribs and seafood would also be a good idea if the ribs continue to be as good.

We're definitely going back and will keep you posted if we fail to have a good experience, but again, I have been delighted with both visits.

Hope y'all give them a try too.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:15 AM   #40
topwater

Thumbs down

I had the clam strip special and my other pal had a lobster roll (it was too late and we'd had a few too many cocktails to fight with the shell of a whole lobster

Just a quick question? You say you had to many cocktails to deal with a lobster shell.... SO, were you driving a BOAT, a CAR, or do you live within walking distance to the restaurant? I'm hopeing you don't get behind a wheel of either after haveing that many cocktails that makes a lobster shell a hazard.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:08 PM   #41
sa meredith

Default Really?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by topwater View Post
I had the clam strip special and my other pal had a lobster roll (it was too late and we'd had a few too many cocktails to fight with the shell of a whole lobster

Just a quick question? You say you had to many cocktails to deal with a lobster shell.... SO, were you driving a BOAT, a CAR, or do you live within walking distance to the restaurant? I'm hopeing you don't get behind a wheel of either after haveing that many cocktails that makes a lobster shell a hazard.
Wow...a nice, positive, descriptive, review...and you make that comment and give a thumbs down?!
Thumbs down to you, I say!
Two reasons....
READ THE DARN POST...she stated that they did not want to drive, so they took a stroll.
Secondly...if responsible adults enjoy getting a litte tippsy once in a while, who are you to judge?
I'm sure the reason is that some type of OUI has played a roll in your life, but her review had nothing to do with OUI.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sa meredith For This Useful Post:
chipj29 (07-25-2011), ishoot308 (07-24-2011), Jonas Pilot (07-24-2011), Rusty (07-24-2011), Shreddy (07-25-2011), Skip (07-24-2011), Two dobys (07-24-2011), VitaBene (07-24-2011)
Old 07-24-2011, 12:15 PM   #42
Skip

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
Wow...a nice, positive, descriptive, review...and you make that comment and give a thumbs down?!
Thumbs down to you, I say!
Two reasons....
READ THE DARN POST...she stated that they did not want to drive, so they took a stroll.
Secondly...if responsible adults enjoy getting a litte tippsy once in a while, who are you to judge?
I'm sure the reason is that some type of OUI has played a roll in your life, but her review had nothing to do with OUI.
Bravo....well said!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skip For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (07-24-2011), Jmo77011 (07-24-2011), Rusty (07-24-2011)
Old 07-24-2011, 05:47 PM   #43
topwater

Rusty(aka BOB), there is another country heard from....

My bad, I missed the STROLLING part, I even double read it looking for something like that. Sorry about that Maidencove. But Sa meredith, I DO NOT and never will CONDONE drinking at ALL period( not even one cocktail )and getting behind a wheel of anything. It happen way to much and so easily overlooked.
Tipsy is one thing but thinking a lobster shell is to much to handle is another thing.
I'm glad Maiden made that call and S T R O L L E D down to have a bite.

Topwater...
Old 07-24-2011, 06:28 PM   #44
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Sorry for the derail but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by topwater View Post
Rusty(aka BOB), there is another country heard from....

My bad, I missed the STROLLING part, I even double read it looking for something like that. Sorry about that Maidencove. But Sa meredith, I DO NOT and never will CONDONE drinking at ALL period( not even one cocktail )and getting behind a wheel of anything. It happen way to much and so easily overlooked.
Tipsy is one thing but thinking a lobster shell is to much to handle is another thing.
I'm glad Maiden made that call and S T R O L L E D down to have a bite.

Topwater...
So let me ask you a question Topwater, do you think if a husband and wife go to a nice restaurant and are celebrating their 25th anniversary and have a glass of wine to toast this special occasion then drive home that is somehow wrong??...

Just curious...
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
Rusty (07-24-2011)
Old 07-24-2011, 07:35 PM   #45
topwater

ishoot... I stick to my guns on it. You want to drink, knock your self out. I don't believe you should drink and drive. Thats MY opinion, don't like it don't listen. And yes, we just celebrated our 22nd and my wife had wine and I had diet coke. You might think its fine, I don't. Asked and Answered.
Sa when you drink your self into oblivion at the lobster pound which you must own stock in, because you cannot fathom anyone having a bad meal there. Please have a DD, or better then that call me, I'll make sure you get home safely.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:51 PM   #46
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Thanks Topwater, but I'll follow the laws of the road instead. Never cared much for preaching...

Have a nice day!

Dan
Old 07-24-2011, 09:42 PM   #47
jkjoshuatree

Default Got My Popcorn Ready...

...this should turn very interesting.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:20 PM   #48
Bigstan

Default Just saying?

I assume it was an earlier trip where you had the lobster roll? As you stated you started with clam strips and ended up saying you had a lobster roll (and you describe both quite nicely btw).

JFYI - I had a Sawyers lobster roll earlier (and brought home a quart of ice cream) and it was great!

Happy Summer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaidenCove07 View Post
I had the clam strip special and my other pal had a lobster roll (it was too late and we'd had a few too many cocktails to fight with the shell of a whole lobster ).

The clam strips were very obviously fresh not frozen, and were so sweet and tender! YUMMY! The onion nuggets that came with the lobster roll were also hand battered, not frozen and very tender. My lobster roll was superb. Mostly claw and knuckle meat, but very juicy and sweet, not too much mayo or greenery, and a well toasted roll.
Closed Thread