Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Automotive
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2021, 06:25 AM   #1
fatlazyless

Default 2016 Forester 2.5 4-cyl base design 6-speed 95k miles

Ok, so what I drive is a 2013 Scion xB 5-speed w/ 218,000-miles and have to add 3/4 to 1 qt oil to engine with each and every 11-gal gasoline fill-up. Just spent $357 at Walmart for four new Viva-3 tires and an oil change, and figure this Scion will probably maybe hopefully keep going to 250,000-miles despite the defective engine with the oil consumption. This oil consumption problem has been happening since day one, purchased new from Irwin Toyota in beautiful Laconia, NH in May 2014.

My question: Am looking to trade the Scion in towards a 2016 Suburu Forester 6-speed 95k miles.

Can I expect this Suburu Forester to go from the now 95k all the way to 250k in the next five years time with same reliability as the Scion?

It does in fact have a timing chain as opposed to a belt inside the engine.

Are problems with the all-wheel drive likely to happen?

Any known problems with this Suburu Forester model?

Have heard that one issue is when one tire gets damaged, then you end up having to buy all four new tires to keep it driving smooth?
Old 02-10-2021, 06:45 AM   #2
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Looking for an SUV?

Then yes the Subbie is a good buy. You should be able to find one with less mileage than that! 250K is doable as long as you keep up with the maintenance. Personally, I would look at the Mazda CX5, love the sports car feeling when driving. Other SUVs feel like an elephant on roller skates!

As with most AWD, front-wheel drives, the front axle boots rot around 150K is common and expensive! Another common repair with the new high-efficiency motors is head gaskets. Other than that, common maintenance items such as brakes, tires, oil filters, etc.

Personally, I am a wagon man. And a manual at that! Was on the market for a year for MB wagon, Audi Avant, or Volvo V60 cross country. Just bought a 2014 allroad with manual and sport package. Had it shipped from San Francisco. 30K on the clock and never been in salt!
subaruliving (02-12-2021)
Old 02-10-2021, 07:06 AM   #3
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

I would stay away from the 2016 Sub with 95K.

My wife had a 2012 Forester and the head gaskets failed at 90K. A very expensive repair. Do a search for Sub head gasket problems. When she traded the Sub in on a RAV4 she needed to prove that the head gasket had already been replaced to get a reasonable trade-in value.

Also the rear universal went a while later, the whole drive shaft needs replacement in that case.

Yes the tire story is real, had that happen as well.

Last edited by Slickcraft; 02-10-2021 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Correct year of Forester from 2015 to 2012
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (02-10-2021)
Old 02-10-2021, 07:41 AM   #4
fatlazyless

Thanks very much for that last post about the leaking head gasket on a 2015 Suburu Forester

The car I'm looking at has the base engine, a 2.5i 170hp and came up with these comments from www.cashcarsbuyer.com

"Despite Suburu's track record for reliable vehicles, their 2.5L engine has become almost infamous in the automobile industry for having problems. Specifically, these engines have been susceptible to leaking head gaskets and it was such an ongoing issue that it almost became a joke amongst mechanics."

Oh well ...... just got four new tires last Tuesday for the old Scion so's I guess I just keep on adding a 2.98 qt of SuperTech 5w-20 in the very familiar blue bottle with every gas fill-up. I must be the #1 biggest buyer of Walmart motor oil in the whole country what with this defective Scion xB I got from the Irwin Zone back in 2014, but at least it is very reliable.

Ya know ...... what this country really needs to make it great again is a FORD ESCAPE with front wheel drive, a four cylinder 175-hp engine, and a five speed manual transmission ........that sells for $17995-new ..... and only comes in gray outside, gray inside ...... it is that simple ..... but for some unknown crazy reason ..... it does not exist. And, the Ford Motor Co. is perfectly capable of making it, too, named the gray Ford Escape, or just the gray car.

And, bring back those triangular small vent windows in the two front corners!
Old 02-10-2021, 08:23 AM   #5
8gv

Could the Scion have leaking valve seals?

Have you priced a solution for the oil consumption?

Buying a car that is rather long in the tooth can be a Pandora's box of worse horrors than what you have now.

My understanding is that in 2014 Subaru made changes to increase the longevity of their head gaskets.

As explained to me, the actual gasket material is improved but...

As has been stated (opined?) on this forum, leaving old motor oil in the engine can be detrimental to the gaskets.

If I had a 2015 Forester with 95k of MY miles with MY known maintenance, I wouldn't hesitate to continue on to 250k miles.

Two of my kids currently drive their '14 and '17 Foresters with 175k and 100k miles on them.

Both cars started with me and were transferred to them around 55k so there is no uncertainty about early maintenance.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2021, 10:11 AM   #6
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Correction:

My wife's last Forester was not a 2015, she traded it in on a 2015 Rav4.

I believe that the Forester with the head gasket issue was actually a 2012.
Sorry for the error.

Alan
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 10:15 AM   #7
fatlazyless

Supposedly, my 2013 Scion xB has a silent recall by Toyota, up to cars with 150k-miles for fixing the valve stem seals which are upside down, or incorrect, and shake the oil too much so it gets consumed and goes out with the exhaust. Sometime in July 2018 or July 2019, Bob Abbott - Irwin Toyota service writer totally denied my claim for this oil consumption problem. At the time, the car had 149,500-miles. It even drove away from the Plymouth hit & run, Feb 12, 2020, after a friendly local pick-up truck stopped and offered to pull my car out of a very large, fresh snow bank with a heavy line attached to its trailer hitch.

It gets driven every day, and still runs good enough for 70-mph locally, and I keep a business card for Buskey's Auto-Towing centrally located in Ashland at Exit-24 in the glove box in case it breaks down somewhere between Waterville Valley and Meredith. So far this Scion has never needed a tow and only has had brakes, tires, light bulbs, wiper blades, November coolant changes, and oil changes, and a five dollar can of Bondo.

This 2016 silver Suburu Forester 2.5i: ..... 6-speed, base model, 94,548-miles, $11,994, www.loveringmeredith.com ...... 49 days on CarGurus ..... price dropped by $693 ...... Lovering Volvo charges an additional $549 dealer prep fee

The CarFax shows it consistently had oil changes every 6000-miles at Arrow Express Lube, Littleton NH, and Walmart Auto Care, Plymouth NH.

At 87,690 it got four new tires(?), front wheel alignment, front brake rotors and pads replaced, oil, wipers at Prime Suburu, Manchester NH.

On Dec 23, 2020 it failed emissions inspection at a NH inspection station in Merrimack County but then passed it the next day on Dec 24, 2020 at the same inspection station.

On Dec 29 at Lovering Volvo, Concord, it had tires mounted(?) and changed, washed, oil, filter, emissions and safety inspection.

Everything about this looks very very good except the strong problem issue of a leaky head gasket makes it a NO-GO for me. I have a car and just spent $357 on four news tires and oil change at Walmart so I am not a desperate customer. If I go ahead and buy it for $11,994 plus $549-dealer prep ...... I will pay cash ..... minus whatever I can get from Lovering for the Scion trade-in which has a $2000 hit & run, right side doors collision damage ...... Allstate paid me $1930 after deducting the $250-deductible for the February 12, 2020 Plymouth NH hit & run. The Plymouth Police actually caught up with the hit & run driver's vehicle and driver down at the Plymouth Senior Center ........ some old local guy in a cheap little car ..... ho-ho-ho ...... way-to-go Sergeant Diamond and the Plymouth P.D. ....... thank-you kindly! ...

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-10-2021 at 12:11 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 11:19 AM   #8
8gv

If the Scion has an issue with the valve seals that is common, it is possible that a local shop could resolve it for a reasonable price.

People often change cars because they grow tired of them and want something different.

A repair or two can give one justification for the change.

Good luck with your decision and whatever you do, don't let your car and snowblower spend any more time together!
Old 02-10-2021, 12:33 PM   #9
FlyingScot

We've had 3 Subarus in the family. I'm a car snob, and I think they are terrific. My son is very frugal, and he agrees. 250K is completely reasonable as an expectation.

Weird about the Scion--I would have kicked up a storm right away. I am not a mechanic, but I like 8gv's idea. It's just not right, especially for a new Toyota.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2021, 01:31 PM   #10
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

FWIW, From my 50 years in the auto repair business, Subaru's are a great car up to 100,000 miles. After that they start to have problems and are very expensive to repair.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 01:35 PM   #11
Biggd

FWIW. Subaru's are a great car up until 100,000 miles. That's when they start to fall apart and they can be very costly to repair.
When I had my shop the vehicle's that we saw the most for repairs were Jeeps and Subaru's.
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
fatlazyless (02-10-2021)
Old 02-10-2021, 02:12 PM   #12
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Yup, Subis are 10-year cars. After that, move 'em along. They're also light and airy because of the thin metal and plasticy materials. I've never been impressed by a Subaru other than the mostly reliable 10-year cycle.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 02:19 PM   #13
fatlazyless

Craigslist-nh has a dealer ad from Milford NH for a 2010 Suburu Forester 2.5 5-speed manual, white, 191830-miles, price $2990

"This clean rare-manual transmission Suburu Forester runs and drives good. The clutch grabs strong and the vehicle is in good, solid, overall condition. The head-gaskets are the newer, updated, multi-layer, metal style gasket and have been replaced from the original gasket. I do not know when or what mileage this was done at. We are showing by appointment at this time; please let us know when you would like to schedule a time to take a look at it. Thank you for your interest!

!!!!-WE TAKE TRADE IN'S-!!!!

www.maocars.com

Now, if I drove down to Milford in my Scion xB with the $2000 hit & run, right side doors damage, 218000-mile, 2013 5-speed Scion xB ..... how much can I reasonably expect to get for a trade-in value ........ seriously?

Will not mention the oil consumption problem and it actually drives pretty good, ac and cruise and radio all work very good ...... 4 new tires and oil change/filter, last Tuesday..... has most expensive, brightest head light bulbs sold, like $42 for two Sylvania bulbs for watching out for moose in the dark Rt-49 ..... no joke.
Old 02-10-2021, 05:45 PM   #14
Biggd

You should go for it!
You can put it next to the 3 junk snow blowers that you have and watch them all rot away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Craigslist-nh has a dealer ad from Milford NH for a 2010 Suburu Forester 2.5 5-speed manual, white, 191830-miles, price $2990

"This clean rare-manual transmission Suburu Forester runs and drives good. The clutch grabs strong and the vehicle is in good, solid, overall condition. The head-gaskets are the newer, updated, multi-layer, metal style gasket and have been replaced from the original gasket. I do not know when or what mileage this was done at. We are showing by appointment at this time; please let us know when you would like to schedule a time to take a look at it. Thank you for your interest!

!!!!-WE TAKE TRADE IN'S-!!!!

www.maocars.com

Now, if I drove down to Milford in my Scion xB with the $2000 hit & run, right side doors damage, 218000-mile, 2013 5-speed Scion xB ..... how much can I reasonably expect to get for a trade-in value ........ seriously?

Will not mention the oil consumption problem and it actually drives pretty good, ac and cruise and radio all work very good ...... 4 new tires and oil change/filter, last Tuesday..... has most expensive, brightest head light bulbs sold, like $42 for two Sylvania bulbs for watching out for moose in the dark Rt-49 ..... no joke.
Old 02-10-2021, 06:46 PM   #15
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Ok, so what I drive is a 2013 Scion xB 5-speed w/ 218,000-miles and have to add 3/4 to 1 qt oil to engine with each and every 11-gal gasoline fill-up. Just spent $357 at Walmart for four new Viva-3 tires and an oil change, and figure this Scion will probably maybe hopefully keep going to 250,000-miles despite the defective engine with the oil consumption. This oil consumption problem has been happening since day one, purchased new from Irwin Toyota in beautiful Laconia, NH in May 2014.

My question: Am looking to trade the Scion in towards a 2016 Suburu Forester 6-speed 95k miles.

Can I expect this Suburu Forester to go from the now 95k all the way to 250k in the next five years time with same reliability as the Scion?

It does in fact have a timing chain as opposed to a belt inside the engine.

Are problems with the all-wheel drive likely to happen?

Any known problems with this Suburu Forester model?

Have heard that one issue is when one tire gets damaged, then you end up having to buy all four new tires to keep it driving smooth?
FLL: Your best bet may be to go to: www.SubaruForester.org

I believe any and all of your questions will be able to be answered there! This is an owners forum set up for complaints, compliments, questions, and answers.
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 09:20 PM   #16
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Yup, Subis are 10-year cars. After that, move 'em along. They're also light and airy because of the thin metal and plasticy materials. I've never been impressed by a Subaru other than the mostly reliable 10-year cycle.

I'll be happy to get 10 years out of my two Subarus. At 25,000 miles/year, that wouldn't be bad.
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garcia For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2021, 06:08 AM   #17
fatlazyless

A new or a used car comes with 20-day license plates, issued by the dealer, and it doesn't make any difference what NH town you reside in as long as you have a NH driver's license with a NH address because a car dealer will be happy to sell the car and issue a 20-day paper license plate.

Cars sellers in Massachusetts, Maine or Vermont DO NOT issue 20-day NH temporary license plates. Only a NH car seller can issue a NH 20-day paper plate. One needs to get a NH license plate(s) from your NH town clerk.

Last December I had a big problem getting a license plate for a small boat trailer that I purchased and had to go back and forth between Meredith and Waterville Valley to their town clerks, and was able to get a license plate in Meredith. There's no such thing as a NH 20-day temporary paper plate for a used boat trailer?

Two months later, now in February, I suspect I will have big trouble getting a car registered in either town right now until I get my residency accepted by either one town or the other?

Where do I reside?

So's before I can go buy any car and get it registered I need to go through the resident application process and hopefully the old Scion xB will continue to keep going ....... rolling along ..... in 5th gear ..... got that Bob Dylan cd happening ....... with that Bob Dylan voice ...... however you describe that voice ...... the answer my friend is a-blow'n in the wind .....onward through the winter cold??? ..... and a correct legal residency ..... and then a replacement car and license plates?

It makes no sense to buy a car if it can't get a license plate?

And a broke down car that will not go is about as useful as a broken snowblower after a deep snow fall! ......

Anyone know of any stories where someone buys a very nice, expensive new car and has to leave it parked in their garage for six months or sometime, after the 20-day paper plate expires, because their NH town clerk wouldn't issue a NH license plate to them, until they went through the town residency process?

Are some town clerks tougher with this license plate issue than the town clerk in some other NH town?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-12-2021 at 03:55 AM.
Old 02-11-2021, 07:17 AM   #18
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

The residency part should be easy.

Haven't you owned your Meredith waterfront mansion for years?

What address is on your driver's license? Can you produce some utility bills for your property?
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 07:47 AM   #19
fatlazyless

I need to go talk with the two different town clerks and see what's up? Apparently, the state has a list of where you reside or something, and it seems like the NH DMV has taken a long time to process a driver license and I need to get it correct legal before it becomes a problem.

It probably makes no difference that I have owned these two different residences since 1987 and 1992.

A problem can be owning a car and not able to get a NH license plate. Another problem can be voting in an election in the wrong town. One can go along without voting, but it is impossible to go along with a car without a license plate.
Old 02-11-2021, 07:53 AM   #20
Biggd

Yada, yada, yada, so many problems? Maybe you should just ride a bike.

Old 02-11-2021, 08:20 AM   #21
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Yada, yada, yada, so many problems? Maybe you should just ride a bike.

Good idea, a "fat" tire bike for Fatlazyless. Priceless!

Dave
Biggd (02-11-2021), Slickcraft (02-11-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 06:45 AM   #22
fatlazyless

Default Mission Impossible: finding a 5-speed stick daily driver

Ok, so it looks like I'm on a lifetime journey here to find a car to replace my 2013 Scion xB 5-speed 219,000-miles.

Took a test drive yesterday in a brand new 2021 Suburu Crosstrek base model 6-speed, yesterday, and lo and behold this 2021 new car that costs about $24,000 did not have a slot above the radio for a cd disk ....... I was absolutely shocked ..... no cd player ...... this is totally amazing!

Plus, all wheel drive is totally unnecessary! Fwd with a stick will get you up and down that snowy winter hiil, just fine, if you got decent tires!

In my quest to find a replacement to my Scion, I've stumbled across www.forresthowesautorepair.com on Rt 3 in Campton, close to the Plymouth - Campton town line at Exit 27 or 26.

Is a good place to get ye olde car fixed, plus they actually respond intelligently to email. .....

If Toyota had any good business sense, it would bring back their Scion cars, and start making Scions again! Only now they should come with those small triangle vent windows with the snap latch. Bring back the vent window with that snap latch plus a radio with both a cd and a cassette slot and Scion xB would sell big!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-24-2021 at 07:19 AM.
Old 02-24-2021, 07:54 AM   #23
TheProfessor

Quote:

If Toyota had any good business sense, it would bring back their Scion cars, and start making Scions again! Only now they should come with those small triangle vent windows with the snap latch. Bring back the vent window with that snap latch plus a radio with both a cd and a cassette slot and Scion xB would sell big!
The Scion was a marketing tool for the North America. The Scions were and are all ordinary Toyotas.

Toyota had found out that the age of the average buyer was getting older. Toyota did not want to become the Oldsmobile of Japanese brands.
So the marketing people needed to come up with a plan to bring younger buyers into the Toyota dealerships. The Scion was marketed to younger buyers.
But.
Toyota found out that the majority of buyers of Scion were in fact older people. This Scion marketing tool had failed to bring in all of those younger buyers as planned. So Toyota just dumped the name Scion. Some of the Scions were rebranded as Toyotas.

The CD player is going the way of 8 track and cassette players. This younger generation is using their cell phones and USB sticks for music. And other sources such as satellite radio, Pandora, etc.

Yes, there are still a few new vehicles that have a CD player. But those CD players are slowly disappearing in each new model cycle.

Good Luck.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 08:07 AM   #24
TiltonBB

FLL: Welcome to the 21st Century!

No matter how good you may think FWD is, all wheel drive is better. You only have to get stuck once to wish you had it.

Another thing to consider is resale. It seems you are sold on a standard transmission but many drivers cannot drive one. That limits your potential market and will reduce what a dealer would offer you on a trade in because of the limited desirability.

Off topic: I actually saw a video of a carjacking in Chicago (218 carjackings in January 2021) and the four young fellows that ripped the driver out of the car jumped in, saw it was a stick, and jumped back out because they couldn't drive one. So there's that: You could feel more secure about not being carjacked on your daily drive from Meredith to the Plymouth WalMart.

CD's have become old school now. But you can get a SanDisk 32GB Cruzer USB Flash Drive on Amazon for about $10. Most new cars have slots that they will fit in and they will hold thousands of songs.

Here is where it gets good: You can go to the library (if you have any free time) and take out CD's, bring them home, and using your computer put the music on your flash drive and then insert that into the slot in your new ride. You can do that for free, and we know how you love free stuff!
Old 02-24-2021, 08:37 AM   #25
fatlazyless

I just spent $357.88 a week ago for four new Viva-3's and an oil change so this car is probably destined to go the distance ...... whatever that is ....... 230-240-250-275- ????

Driving up the big long hill that goes from Powers Rd up to the small church, there, it passed a couple cars that got stopped in the snow the other day, going up the hill, there.

I waved as it crept past them.....

Someone named Jessica has something like a purple 2009 Scion xB 5-speed with 130k-miles in Rhode Island for $3000 ...... a purple, factory original paint xB!!!! on CarGuru....
Old 02-24-2021, 09:22 AM   #26
Biggd

There will be at least a 1000 more posts before FLL buys a newer vehicle.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:17 AM   #27
fatlazyless

For $20-$40 each, there's a Main St Store in Meredith, at the inside corner close to town hall that has a large selection of 12" vinyl lp records from the 1960's and 70's ...... like Linda Ronstadt or The Eagles and a lot others.

You ever been in there?
Old 02-24-2021, 01:48 PM   #28
Outdoorsman

Quote:
I just spent $357.88 a week ago for four new Viva-3's and an oil change so this car is probably destined to go the distance ...... whatever that is ....... 230-240-250-275- ????

Driving up the big long hill that goes from Powers Rd up to the small church, there, it passed a couple cars that got stopped in the snow the other day, going up the hill, there.

I waved as it crept past them.....

Someone named Jessica has something like a purple 2009 Scion xB 5-speed with 130k-miles in Rhode Island for $3000 ...... a purple, factory original paint xB!!!! on CarGuru....
I am sorry to say this to you FLL but, if YOU are planning on selling/trading your scion, you will never recoup the $355.88 that you just spent on tires. The only person that cares about the "so-called" new tires on a trade-in vehicle is the seller. Dealers do not care. Used car buyers off the street do not care.

That is akin to saying you filled the washer fluid and want another 50 cents over ask. Or you added 84 quarts of oil on your last fuel fill up. That stuff does not add value.

Best of luck though.
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 07:54 PM   #29
TheTimeTraveler

I think that Sirius Satellite Radio and selected music on your cell phone which can be played (via the car radio) has led to a slow and steady decline of available CD players in new cars that are being sold these days....
Old 02-24-2021, 08:13 PM   #30
fatlazyless

Arrow ...... so very boxy, boxy, boxy!

Hey there upthesaukee and Biggd ..... have you heard the latest about Toyota ...... Toyota has gone out of the car making business and now they just make computer screens ...... when you buy a Toyota what you really drive is a computer screen, about 8"x 10" that sits in the middle of the dashboard at eye level, half way between the dashboard and the windshield.

Toyota has totally gone computer screen crazy ...... it's not really a 2021 Toyota car ..... what it is ..... is a 2021 Toyota computer screen that comes with a car attached.

And OMG ....... the 2021 Toyota does not have a slot for a cd disc ...... just like a 2021 Suburu ........ cars have gone crazy! ...... is totally amazing and under-whelming! Like, when you look at the road out front through the windshield ...... that there 'puter screen is right there ..... clogg'n up the view! Is like look'n at the damn 'puter is more important that watching where you are driving!

To get what I want in a new car ....... I think I found it in Chichester, NH ...... at www.chaseautollc.com ...... a 2005 green Honda Element, 149,000-miles, 5-speed manual, front wheel drive, a cd and a cassette player ...... plus it is so very boxy boxy boxy ....... even maybe more boxy than my Scion xB ......and the price is my type of a price ..... $3999.

What a car ...... ! ...... if only it had those small triangle vent windows with the twist click latch! ....

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-24-2021 at 08:47 PM.
Old 02-24-2021, 09:31 PM   #31
Biggd

Quote:
Hey there upthesaukee and Biggd ..... have you heard the latest about Toyota ...... Toyota has gone out of the car making business and now they just make computer screens ...... when you buy a Toyota what you really drive is a computer screen, about 8"x 10" that sits in the middle of the dashboard at eye level, half way between the dashboard and the windshield.

Toyota has totally gone computer screen crazy ...... it's not really a 2021 Toyota car ..... what it is ..... is a 2021 Toyota computer screen that comes with a car attached.

And OMG ....... the 2021 Toyota does not have a slot for a cd disc ...... just like a 2021 Suburu ........ cars have gone crazy! ...... is totally amazing and under-whelming! Like, when you look at the road out front through the windshield ...... that there 'puter screen is right there ..... clogg'n up the view! Is like look'n at the damn 'puter is more important that watching where you are driving!

To get what I want in a new car ....... I think I found it in Chichester, NH ...... at www.chaseautollc.com ...... a 2005 green Honda Element, 149,000-miles, 5-speed manual, front wheel drive, a cd and a cassette player ...... plus it is so very boxy boxy boxy ....... even maybe more boxy than my Scion xB ......and the price is my type of a price ..... $3999.

What a car ...... ! ...... if only it had those small triangle vent windows with the twist click latch! ....
Well just think, if you bought one of those Toyota computers you could keep on posting on the forum even while driving. You could get to 10,000 post much quicker that way.
Old 02-25-2021, 05:25 AM   #32
thinkxingu

I actually agree with FLL here—the screens on some of today's vehicles are ridiculous. In fact, my wife's test drive of a new Ford Escape a couple years back was cut short when she couldn't figure out how to use the radio. We literally drove out one end of the parking lot and pulled in the next—100 yards, maybe—for the shortest road test ever.

Subaru, however—last I saw, at least—is much simpler, but my 4Runner, often criticized for being a dinosaur by new shoppers, is perfect.

Old 02-25-2021, 08:29 AM   #33
8gv

I used to say "just because you can computerize something doesn't mean you should".

After buying my '20 Outback with its 10.6 inch "infotainment screen" I must amend that saying to add this:

"Just because you can control things with a touch screen doesn't mean you should."

I look forward to forming a new car company called "Analog".

The cars will have buttons and knobs located in positions that require no looking to operate.
Old 02-25-2021, 12:28 PM   #34
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
I used to say "just because you can computerize something doesn't mean you should".

After buying my '20 Outback with its 10.6 inch "infotainment screen" I must amend that saying to add this:

"Just because you can control things with a touch screen doesn't mean you should."

I look forward to forming a new car company called "Analog".

The cars will have buttons and knobs located in positions that require no looking to operate.
Uh thank government regulation for that one. Mandatory backup cameras is why every car now has a stupid touch screen in it. If they have to use that dashboard real-estate for that they sort of have no choice but to make that screen multifunctional. Of course that cost is passed on to the consumers where now they are footing the bill of thousands of extra dollars for that. God help you if it ever breaks or malfunctions.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 12:40 PM   #35
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Uh thank government regulation for that one. Mandatory backup cameras is why every car now has a stupid touch screen in it. If they have to use that dashboard real-estate for that they sort of have no choice but to make that screen multifunctional. Of course that cost is passed on to the consumers where now they are footing the bill of thousands of extra dollars for that. God help you if it ever breaks or malfunctions.
Hogwash. Video screens have been out far longer than the 2018 mandate. Hell, Honda had a map system in the early 80's.

Also, my 4Runner has a screen and backup camera, and they're both perfect and very welcome. Implementing it clumsily is just clumsy implementation.

Time to stop drinking the anti-gov't Kool-Aid. (PS I'm not pro-gov't in any way, but I'm also not going to blindly blame it all willy-nilly.)

Last edited by thinkxingu; 02-25-2021 at 01:13 PM.
Old 02-25-2021, 01:43 PM   #36
TheProfessor

Quote:
I actually agree with FLL here—the screens on some of today's vehicles are ridiculous. In fact, my wife's test drive of a new Ford Escape a couple years back was cut short when she couldn't figure out how to use the radio. We literally drove out one end of the parking lot and pulled in the next—100 yards, maybe—for the shortest road test ever.

Subaru, however—last I saw, at least—is much simpler, but my 4Runner, often criticized for being a dinosaur by new shoppers, is perfect.

Some of the manufacturers have listened to customers frustrations.
And put round dials knobs back in.
The last newer Subaru I viewed - an upscale model - had round knobs for radio volume and radio station. Also had knobs for the heater controls.
And this was the top optioned vehicle.
Old 02-25-2021, 05:04 PM   #37
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
Some of the manufacturers have listened to customers frustrations.
And put round dials knobs back in.
The last newer Subaru I viewed - an upscale model - had round knobs for radio volume and radio station. Also had knobs for the heater controls.
And this was the top optioned vehicle.
Yes, and the round knobs are nice and big, and very easy to use.

Do you remember the cars of 20 years ago, and if they had round knobs they were very tiny and tough to maneuver (especially with winter gloves on).

It's nice when manufacturers take the time to make things user friendly for their customers. Three cheers for Subaru!
Old 02-25-2021, 06:10 PM   #38
MAXUM

Quote:
Hogwash. Video screens have been out far longer than the 2018 mandate. Hell, Honda had a map system in the early 80's.

Also, my 4Runner has a screen and backup camera, and they're both perfect and very welcome. Implementing it clumsily is just clumsy implementation.

Time to stop drinking the anti-gov't Kool-Aid. (PS I'm not pro-gov't in any way, but I'm also not going to blindly blame it all willy-nilly.)

Oh not saying they weren't out before backup cameras were mandated, just that unless you were buying a car with a GPS or other OPTIONAL features in it there was never a need for a screen in your dash. Now there is no choice as backup cameras are mandated by law. Does it make anyone back up better? Nope, but it guarantees you're car will cost more.

Frankly those in dash busy box screens I find to be extremely distracting and I can't stand them. I have to fight with technology all day long for work the last thing I need is a stupid car that wants to think for me too.
Old 02-25-2021, 06:13 PM   #39
DickR

Quote:
Uh thank government regulation for that one. Mandatory backup cameras is why every car now has a stupid touch screen in it. ... they sort of have no choice but to make that screen multifunctional. Of course that cost is passed on to the consumers where now they are footing the bill of thousands of extra dollars for that......
Thousands? When one can buy a cell phone with far more power and functionality for a few hundred new?
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:51 PM   #40
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickR View Post
Thousands? When one can buy a cell phone with far more power and functionality for a few hundred new?
Yes sir!

So using Thinkxingu's example of a Toyota 4Runner.... click the links below and see for yourself!

https://parts.toyota.com/p/Toyota_20...614035420.html

God help you if you get one fully loaded with all the feature options!

https://parts.toyota.com/p/Toyota_20...614035180.html

So you're thinking well it is a 4runner, not so fast.... the brain box assembly for a Camry - a bargain price of $3247.41.

https://parts.toyota.com/p/Toyota__/...614006A50.html

Installation NOT included!
Old 02-25-2021, 09:44 PM   #41
fatlazyless

Big trucks don't use any back-up camera. They use their right and left outside mirrors, and nothing else. A semi has a 13'-high x 8.5'-wide x 53'-long trailer attached to a 20' tractor and it backs up, parallel parking into a side space without a camera screen, just the mirrors. Truckers are told, when in doubt, get out of the truck and take a good look at the situation.

With a car you have the the left and right side mirrors, plus the rear view inside mirror, something that most big trucks don't have because the center view is blocked by the trailer or the van box.

In a 2021 Toyota without a cd disc slot, it needs a battery boom box, cd player to make that cd-disk music happen ........ just like a 1971 Buick 225 with a broken radio ........ you keep a boom box on that passenger seat ......... simple .......

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-28-2021 at 04:00 AM.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:45 PM   #42
8gv

To turn off my seat heaters I must...

Look down, locate a button on the screen and push it.

Look back up.

Look down, locate the new button on the screen and either tap it three times or hold it for a few seconds.

Look back up.

All this must be done while bouncing around on our winter heaved roads trying not to meet the fate of those unfortunate crash victims on NH Route 106.

In airplanes, which travel where there are no yellow lines and very little conflicting traffic, the knobs and levers all have different shapes and sizes.

One need not look at them to touch and activate them.
Old 02-26-2021, 03:41 AM   #43
fatlazyless

Came very close yesterday to getting smacked bad, almost sideswiped, by a small white suv that came down Barnard Ridge Rd onto Meredith Neck Rd, heading down the neck. It apparently never saw my car. I leaned on the horn and got way over to the right and avoided that one. Seems like other cars sometimes fail to see my dirty silver car so I am using my headlights a lot more than previous.

Already got hit once in Feb 2020, and once is one, too many!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-26-2021 at 07:37 AM.
Old 02-26-2021, 05:30 AM   #44
thinkxingu

Quote:
Yes sir!

So using Thinkxingu's example of a Toyota 4Runner.... click the links below and see for yourself!

https://parts.toyota.com/p/Toyota_20...614035420.html

God help you if you get one fully loaded with all the feature options!

https://parts.toyota.com/p/Toyota_20...614035180.html

So you're thinking well it is a 4runner, not so fast.... the brain box assembly for a Camry - a bargain price of $3247.41.

https://parts.toyota.com/p/Toyota__/...614006A50.html

Installation NOT included!
That's always the way it's been. I was quoted something like $2000 for my '02 Nissan Frontier OEM radio replacement back in '04, but there's no way the MSRP was $2k higher because of the radio. Nobody ever replaced factory radios because of the absurd costs—it's why mobile electronics dealers exist!

Old 02-26-2021, 05:52 AM   #45
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
To turn off my seat heaters I must...

Look down, locate a button on the screen and push it.

Look back up.

Look down, locate the new button on the screen and either tap it three times or hold it for a few seconds.

Look back up.

All this must be done while bouncing around on our winter heaved roads trying not to meet the fate of those unfortunate crash victims on NH Route 106.

In airplanes, which travel where there are no yellow lines and very little conflicting traffic, the knobs and levers all have different shapes and sizes.

One need not look at them to touch and activate them.
This sounds like my wife's Jeep Cherokee. How she finds it acceptable after turning around in the Escape, well, escapes me. Everything other than volume and fan speed requires multiple button pushes.

Old 02-26-2021, 07:15 AM   #46
BroadHopper

Quote:
Yeap! 95% of folks don't read the manual and don't even use 90% of the new features built into a new vehicle! I'm trying to find the article written by a major reliable auto magazine.

I believe it. I just bought a late model wagon with all the bells and whistles. While I am adjusting the gadgets to work the way I want them to, 50% of them I turned off! I also notice the previous owner who paid $50,000 for the vehicle never even bother to use the features!
Old 02-26-2021, 07:28 AM   #47
Biggd

I understand all the complaints here and at 67 I can relate. But our kids and grand kids are laughing at us because that's the only world they know. They don't know what knobs are for.
I remember my grandson getting into my classic car and asking me where the button was to put the window down. I still find myself saying "role down the window".

BroadHopper (02-26-2021)
Old 02-26-2021, 07:51 AM   #48
MAXUM

Quote:
That's always the way it's been. I was quoted something like $2000 for my '02 Nissan Frontier OEM radio replacement back in '04, but there's no way the MSRP was $2k higher because of the radio. Nobody ever replaced factory radios because of the absurd costs—it's why mobile electronics dealers exist!

You seem to misunderstand.... back then the radio was a separate stand alone electronic device. Easily (sort of) replaced with an aftermarket solution if you so desired.

In today's cars that is not the case. That touch screen brain box is the central nervous system for the entire car, so while yes it has the factory stereo built into it that is just a piece of what it does, all the other driver controls such as the climate control for example are controlled through it and the car literally will not run without it in place. It is now an integrated part of the car's computer controlled system.

The days of aftermarket stereos are over.
Old 02-26-2021, 07:54 AM   #49
fatlazyless

Default ..... hellooooo Planet Honda!

Just yesterday I went a little crazy and went and bought that green 2005 Honda Element, 149k-miles, fwd, 5-speed manual in Chichester for $3999 which has a good sounding cd-disc player and a small square storage space just below the radio for storing cd-discs.

HEY ...... my idea of song storage is two black cd cloth storage holders for 1.94-each at Walmart that get attached to each sun visor ...... now, that's music management! ....

This Element just got four new struts and a couple other small items from the seller, www.chaseautollc.com in Chichester, a super place to buy a below $5000 used car if you is one of us very very poor, waterfront poor people, who just needs a reliable used car. No doubt I will be getting to know www.forresthowesautorepair.com in Campton a lot better ...... plus Planet Honda from New Jersey is opening a new Honda store in Tilton in June. Planet will probably have some 55-year old mechanic from Jersey who's been working on Element's since they came out in 2002 ...... hellooooooo Planet Honda ...... I have a 2005 Element with a minor problem-o!

Time will tell ..... everything works including the cruise control, electric windows and the ride ..... plus I still got the 220k smashed Scion as a back up car if and when the Element needs a repair. I just call up Allstate and switch the insurance back and forth ....... you gotta have real STRONG insurance! The 220k Scion has a trade-in value of about $100 but it still drives very good?????

So sorry Toyota Scion xB ...... I fell in L-O-V-E with this old Honda Element and went a little crazy!.....

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-26-2021 at 08:42 AM.
Old 02-26-2021, 08:01 AM   #50
8gv

The Honda Element is one of the best "unusual" cars I have come to know.

A friend had one with a standard and it got great gas mileage.

They run forever.

You can hose out the inside because it has mat material for the floor.

The rear seats fold up to make room for the copious spoils from a Walmart run.

It's a cool car... congrats!
Old 02-26-2021, 08:27 AM   #51
MAXUM

Quote:
Just yesterday I went a little crazy and went and bought that green 2005 Honda Element, 149k-miles, fwd, 5-speed manual in Chichester for $3999 which has a good sounding cd-disc player and a small square storage space just below the radio for storing cd-discs.

HEY ...... my idea of song storage is two black cd cloth storage holders for 1.94-each at Walmart that get attached to each sun visor ...... now, that's music management! ....

This Element just got four new struts and a couple other small items from the seller, www.chaseautollc.com in Chichester, a super place to buy a below $5000 used car if you is one of us very poor, waterfront poor people who just needs a reliable used car. No doubt I will be getting to know www.forresthowesautorepair.com in Campton a lot better ...... plus Planet Honda from New Jersey is opening a new Honda store in Tilton in June. Planet will probably have some 55-year old mechanic from Jersey who's been working on Element's since they came out in 2002 ...... hellooooooo Planet Honda ...... I have a 2005 Element with a minor problem-o!

Time will tell ..... everything works including the cruise control, electric windows and the ride ..... plus I still got the 220k Scion as a back up car if and when the Element needs a repair. I just call up Allstate and switch the insurance back and forth ....... you gotta have real STRONG insurance! The 220k Scion has a trade-in value of about $100 but it still drives very good?????

Sorry Scion xB ...... I fell in love with this Honda Element! .....
Do yourself a favor and take this advice seriously. The rear diff fluid in that thing needs to be replaced every 20K and the fluid that goes in it is special stuff you need to get from Honda. It is also expensive. There is no cheapo knock off you can get at WalMart either. If you just drive it and ignore it expect that rear end to fail quickly and catastrophically.

I had a friend of mine that had one of those and did not know this. Being a cheap person he did not heed the instruction to do this. $4000 rear end replacement got his attention at 30K miles from new. This is well documented - and of all the common problems these cars have that is the one to be most aware of.

Good luck with it. If you do the maintenance it will last a long time as 8gv says.
Old 02-26-2021, 08:35 AM   #52
fatlazyless

This one is a front wheel drive with a 5-speed manual so's it probably does not have a rear differential? The two rear wheels get no power and they just roll along on the back of the car on wheel bearings, on a solid axle, I think?
Old 02-26-2021, 02:32 PM   #53
MAXUM

Quote:
This one is a front wheel drive with a 5-speed manual so's it probably does not have a rear differential? The two rear wheels get no power and they just roll along on the back of the car on wheel bearings, on a solid axle, I think?
If it is front wheel drive it would have no reason for a rear diff.
Old 02-27-2021, 05:08 AM   #54
TheProfessor

Quote:
Just yesterday I went a little crazy and went and bought that green 2005 Honda Element, 149k-miles, fwd, 5-speed manual
The folks that I speak to who own a Honda Element - just love them.
One vehicle that Honda should have kept making.
Some think that they are ugly. Yet the current owner love them. Quite practical vehicles.

Best of luck with that nice "new" car.
Old 02-27-2021, 08:04 AM   #55
fatlazyless

Thanks very much Professor, I appreciate the positive comment.

You know this Honda Element has big tires, size P215/70R16 which is way bigger than what's on my 2013 Scion xB. This Element is high up enough, off the ground, so's I can move under the car, while on my back.

I can see myself spending the next 25-years working like that with a wire brush and a spray can of Rustoleum damp proof red primer with one of those Rustoleum black pistol grip handles that puts YOU in control of where the paint really goes ...... to paint that old Honda panel but not to paint the exhaust pipe or muffler ...... to keep that rust away. To paint it correct ...... or not to paint the down underneath rusty area correct!

Ya know .... for the next 25 summers ....I will spend every single sunny day down underneath that 2005 Honda Element .... down under there with a small wire brush and a giant economy size can of that red primer ....... I am definitely on a MISSION ....... to eliminate all that rusty rust and make it look like it looked back in 2005 ...... that's correct-a-mondo!

Will give me something to do from now, till I'm 94 1/2 in the year 2046.......

In the year 2046, this Honda Element will still be running totally GREAT ....... I guarantee it! ....

Just ordered two bumper stickers for the new Element from Ebay: 'I May Be Slow, But I'm Ahead of You!' with a green turtle ......... and a circular design 'Endangered Species' surrounding the 5-speed shift pattern ......

........ ha-ha-ha! .....

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-27-2021 at 08:45 PM.
Old 02-27-2021, 09:15 AM   #56
ApS

Thumbs up "Element"--Good Choice--Congrats...

Quote:
Do yourself a favor and take this advice seriously. The rear diff fluid in that thing needs to be replaced every 20K and the fluid that goes in it is special stuff you need to get from Honda. It is also expensive. There is no cheapo knock off you can get at WalMart either. If you just drive it and ignore it expect that rear end to fail quickly and catastrophically.

I had a friend of mine that had one of those and did not know this. Being a cheap person he did not heed the instruction to do this. $4000 rear end replacement got his attention at 30K miles from new. This is well documented - and of all the common problems these cars have that is the one to be most aware of.

Good luck with it. If you do the maintenance it will last a long time as 8gv says.
With front wheel drive (FWD), you probably meant "trans-axle" fluid. For some reason, the factory fluids are special, and the dealer price is astonishing.

Back when I was racing cars, it was suggested I use a certain, very expensive, very special, oil in the differential. (Instead of expensive Red Line) oil.

I said "No Thanks" when I learned the source was whale oil!
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:59 AM   #57
fatlazyless

http://www.planethondanj.com/planet-...shire-location expects June 2021 opening.

Anyone think thIs new Planet Honda in Tilton will have an Odyssey courtesy van which goes, all the way up here, to the Meredith Neck, while they replace this 2005 trans-axle, or something?

Unless you are a woman, hitchhiking the lakes region roads is pretty much impossible, I would think, especially now with the pandemic.

Hopefully, I will never need to find out, and can just cruise along on Super Tech full synthetic 5W-20 from Walmart without having to add a new quart with every gasoline fill-up like the Scion xB ..... which gets the regular 2.98-conventional oil ...... formerly 2.88.

By the way, I pick up this new, olde, green Honda Element on Tuesday. He wants to make sure my $3999 check from a bank in Meredith is a good check! .....
Old 03-04-2021, 06:22 AM   #58
fatlazyless

Plymouth Ford: you understand that right now as you read this, Plymouth Ford has a brand new, dark gray 2021 Ford Bronco for about $28,000 parked out front their store, so it's basically the first car, there, that you see. It actually looks very much like my silver Scion xB with 220,000-miles and is a very happening looking suv. But you know this Ford Ranger only comes with an automatic transmission and does NOT have a cd-player slot ..... which, for my money ...... makes it a totally LOSER car ...... like, no kidding! .....

My 220,000-mile Scion xB has two big things going for it that this $28,000 new Ford Bronco simply does not get ...... a five speed stick and a radio with that cd-player slot just above the radio. Talk about a MAJOR BLUNDER with no stick and no cd-slot in the new Ford Bronco! If you ask me, it should get named the Ford Bronco - Major Blunder-2021. Now, would O J Simpson ever ever be driving a Bronco that don't have no stick ..... and no cd-slot ...... NO WAY ...... I don't think so ....... so's if it ain't good enough for the O J ......then Plymouth Ford can just forget-about-it!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 03-04-2021 at 06:54 AM.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:29 AM   #59
Biggd

Nothing to see here.
We can close this thread out now.
fatlazyless (03-04-2021)
Old 03-04-2021, 01:21 PM   #60
SailinAway

Default Subaru, Scion, KIA Soul

Some years ago a friend had a Subaru Forester with failed head gaskets at 80,000 miles. I helped her buy parts for the repair. It was a total nightmare trying to figure out the cause of this chronic problem and what parts she needed---you can't just go to a parts store and accept what they give you, you have to know the year the parts were manufactured and the serial number or some such thing (I can't remember precisely) because parts in storage may have the same gasket problem. The service manager at my garage had been the parts manager at a Subaru dealer. He told me that Subaru claimed this problem had been solved, but that it never was.

A couple of years ago I had a Scion xA that I loved---very convenient and reliable. When I had to replace it I did a ton of research on hatchbacks and subcompact SUVs, read a great many consumer and professional reviews. My priorities were large cargo space in a small package and mechanical reliability.

After several days of research, the KIA Soul topped my list---lots of cargo space and excellent mechanical reliability ratings. I couldn't find one I liked (the colors are boring and weird, like "Alien Green"). I'm still hoping this will be my next car and they've improved the colors if you can afford a new one.

Second on my list was the Chevy Sonic (hatchback). I never wanted to buy an American car, but I couldn't find anything else at the time. I've had a Sonic for a year and a half now and it has been extremely reliable. Purchased it with 70,000 miles and it has had no mechanical failures at all. In fact, the Sonic rates better than well-known cars like the Honda Fit for mechanical reliability. Reviews say, and I agree, that it drives like a larger, more solid car.

The other cars on my list, in descending order of desirability, were:

Nissan Versa Note
Honda Fit
Scion xD
Hyundai Elantra GT
Mitsubishi Mirage
Chevy Spark

The last 3 weren't seriously in the running. I suggest investigating the KIA Soul.
SailinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:18 PM   #61
fatlazyless

Hey ...... thanks for the interesting reply.

White Mountain Auto, close to Exit 24-south bound, in Ashland has a 2006 Scion xD automatic, the old smaller style. They seem to look for Scions to resell but there are very few around for sale.

At 220,000-miles my Scion xB has had a defective engine with an oil consumption problem right from the very start, when I bought it new from Irwin Toyota in May, 2014. Just yesterday, it took 1.25 quarts of 5W-20 to bring it up to level on the dip stick at an 11-gallon gasoline fill-up. It always needs about a quart of oil with every 11-gallon gas fill-up. It's only worth $100 trade-in value towards a $10,515-Corolla at Plymouth Ford. I got $1930 from Allstate last February after a hit & run in Plymouth and just patched it up enough with a five dollar can of Bondo, to fill four small holes, to pass the state inspection.

Despite all these problems it still runs and drives very good, up to about 65-mph. Above 65-mph the engine makes a lot of a grinding noise.

I definitely don't trust it to drive it to Boston, or somewhere, but for local driving between Exits 20 and 28, it's good enough, and I keep the Busky's Auto & Towing business card in the glove compartment in case it breaks down. I figure I can give the Busky's card to a police officer and ask him/her to call Busky's for me.

Hello Busky's ...... this is Officer ________ of the _______ Police Dept and I got a Scion xB here that needs to get towed in for repair! How soon can you get here?

Just spent $357.88 at Walmart for four new Viva-3's and an oil change so that says I got enough confidence in it to go for the new tires.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:36 PM   #62
TiltonBB

So let's see:

You have the Waterville Valley vacation home, the Meredith waterfront mansion, two cars (one with new tires!) a boat, several snowblowers and yet you still shop daily at WalMart?

What is wrong with this picture?
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Biggd (03-05-2021)
Old 03-04-2021, 08:46 PM   #63
fatlazyless

Are you kidding ...... the car ahead of me getting tires at Walmart was a late model Ford Taurus ...... and the one behind me was a late model Volvo ...... also getting tires.

I have even seen a very nice Porsche Cayenne up on the Walmart lift, getting all four new tires.

Why go to a place like Belknap Tire or Wilson Tire when I can go to Plymouth/Tilton Walmart and get their Goodyear Viva-3's for about $75-each, installed.
Old 03-04-2021, 09:01 PM   #64
ApS

Question A LOT of Oil Consumption...

Oil can bypass the rings or valve guides and produce noticeable smoke. (Noticed when off the gas—coasting in gear—then accelerating).

Oil can leak past the rubbery flywheel seal, and leave noticeable stains under the parked car.

Oil can leak past the valve cover gasket, leaving the engine (and engine compartment) coated with oil.

Oil is leaving your Scion somewhere, so physical evidence should be apparent.

Is the dipstick the same one that came with the car? (IOW, is it the original or a replacement?) Check the tip for condition. If the dipstick is damaged—or too short—you could be overfilling the sump.

Before oil changes, did you try the Shell Rotella 10W-40 procedure?
Old 03-04-2021, 09:33 PM   #65
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
So let's see:

You have the Waterville Valley vacation home, the Meredith waterfront mansion, two cars (one with new tires!) a boat, several snowblowers and yet you still shop daily at WalMart?

What is wrong with this picture?
I shop at Walmart on a regular basis.

One does not retire at 51 by throwing away money on overpriced commodities.
Old 03-05-2021, 03:22 AM   #66
fatlazyless

It's the original dip stick ..... and I've become the world's greatest oil add-er individual in the world history of adding oil to the engine! ....

Toyota has a silent recall on the engine in this 2013 Scion xB that is applicable up to 150,000 miles and supposedly somewhat leaves it up to the discretion of the dealer.

My take on what's up with the recall is the eight valve stem guide seals in this 165-hp 4-cylinder engine were installed upside down, which cause excess agitation of the oil which somehow causes the engine to "consume oil." Ever since mile #100, this xB has had an oil consumption problem. There's no drips or leaks under the car so it must be going out with the exhaust.

The mileage is now about 220,150-miles and I usually buy 4-quarts of Super Tech 5w-20 conventional, in the blue bottles, sometimes high mileage, and add enough, about one qt with every gas fill-up to correct the dip stick.

I pretty much got my "trade-in" value repaid from Allstate with their $1930- hit & run payment, last February-2020. The smash-in don't look too bad at all. So, this car goes as long as it goes. It has a trailer hitch, is fun to drive, has a big windshield, excellent insurance collision ratings so's my plan at this point is to keep on truck'n ...... keep add'n the oil, and .... drive it locally between Exit 20 -28 until it won't drive no more. It passed the state inspection and has four new tires and a brake job on the rear wheels about 6-months ago.

It gives me an excellent excuse so I don't have to drive to Boston to visit my two older sisters in Newton and Brookline. Driving Rt 93 in Massachusetts and south of Concord NH is much much busier than north of Exit 20-Tilton. They drive late model Honda Pilot and Honda CRV so's they can pilot there crv up to Meredith for a Lake Winnipesaukee visit and I'll take them out to Hart's Turkey in my 220,000-Scion ..... and awaaaaay we go! ......

I'm right now look'n at a used 5-year old Corolla, 65,000-low Maine miles, with a stick shift and a cd-disk player so's I'll already will have a very nice used car if and when this one suffers something big & expensive to repair .... like the engine. New cars since 2019 no longer come with a stick shift or a cd-disk slot.

Breaking down on Rt 93 between Exits 20 & 28 is no big deal. You sit broke down in the break-down lane for like ten minutes, a state trooper shows up, and the trooper calls Busky at Exit 24, Ashland, to come haul the car away on their flat bed. Have done this maybe three times already, about five to ten years ago, with two Ford Contour, stick shifts and a Chevy Tracker. I would definitely get out of the broke-down car, and go to the safety on the other side of the guard rail, all things considered .... turn on the flashers .... lift up the hood ..... and just chill out and wait for a state trooper .... used to be some of the state troopers were some real good look'n women.

Life in the slow lane ........ I may be slow, but I'm ahead of you! ...... ha-ha-ha ..... ...... actually not so slow up to 65-mph ...... if it's a single lane road and a no-passing area. I get passed all the time, usually by huge pickup trucks that drive like hell on wheels and have 300-hp engines with an automatic.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 03-05-2021 at 07:36 AM.
Old 03-05-2021, 07:54 AM   #67
Biggd

OMG, let this thread die!
Don't give FLL reason to drag this nonsense on and on and on and on.

Last edited by Biggd; 03-05-2021 at 01:49 PM.
fatlazyless (03-05-2021)
Old 03-06-2021, 06:18 PM   #68
SailinAway

Quote:
At 220,000-miles my Scion xB . . . always needs about a quart of oil with every 11-gallon gas fill-up. . . . $10,515-Corolla at Plymouth Ford. . . . I definitely don't trust it to drive it to Boston, or somewhere
Sir! Come to your senses! Put your well-loved Scion xB out its misery. In your heart of hearts you know it's done for.

I would not spend $10,000 on a boring Corolla. You mentioned the Subaru Forester so I assumed you wanted cargo space, which you won't get in a Corolla. Perhaps you can tell us what your priorities are in a car? What do you use your car for?

Here's the best KIA Soul on Craigslist at the moment and it's only $7200 with 77,500 miles: https://nh.craigslist.org/cto/d/dove...284708036.html

Better car (newer, lower mileage) if you can stand the color, but more expensive: https://nh.craigslist.org/ctd/d/conc...284911496.html

For comparison: https://nh.craigslist.org/ctd/d/chic...286853574.html

The Soul had a major redesign in 2014, so you would probably want to avoid models older than that.

Excellent deal on a low-mileage Nissan Versa Note: https://nh.craigslist.org/cto/d/pier...277428809.html

The Versa Note rates lower than the Kia Soul and Chevy Sonic for mechanical reliability.
Old 03-06-2021, 06:38 PM   #69
SailinAway

Quote:
Just yesterday I went a little crazy and went and bought that green 2005 Honda Element, 149k-miles, fwd, 5-speed manual in Chichester for $3999:
Woops, I should have read this before I wrote my post above. OK, Fatlazyless, it's not too late to take this impulse buy back to the dealer. Yes, people love their Honda Elements. I would love to own a Honda Element myself (great car for outdoor adventurers), if I could afford one with around 70,000 miles on it. But anyone who has limited cash shouldn't be buying a car with 149,000 miles, because at that point, the repairs are going to start coming at you fast and they're going to be expensive. Just my opinion, and I'm sure there will be rebuttals.

I'm glad you didn't buy the Subaru! The Honda Element is a much better car.
Old 03-06-2021, 06:52 PM   #70
SailinAway

Quote:
Why go to a place like Belknap Tire or Wilson Tire when I can go to Plymouth/Tilton Walmart and get their Goodyear Viva-3's for about $75-each, installed.
Choose your Walmart carefully. The Tilton Walmart once broke my rocker panel by putting the car on the lift wrong, and they didn't tell me about it. Another time they stole my new registration stickers out of the car. On two or three occasions hubcaps flew off the wheels as I drove out of the parking lot after a tire rotation. Maybe you know the (true) story about the guy who got an oil change at the Tilton Walmart and his engine burned up on 93. He had to sue Walmart (and won). I've had better luck in Plymouth

However, I agree about Walmart's tire prices. I would compare the General Altimax RT43 to the Viva---better reviews, if I'm not mistaken.
Old 03-07-2021, 05:39 AM   #71
fatlazyless

While I've never had any car maintenance or tires done at the Wilson Tire that's close to the Plymouth Walmart, it most likely has a higher level of quality.

Here's a car repair in Campton, just seconds north of Plymouth, that I trust ..... www.forresthowesautorepair.com ..... and they are big with doing alignments which is something the 220,000-Scion needs right now ..... along with replacing the four original spark plugs.

Hey ....... so ....... how can you not trust a car repair with a name that's very similar to the forest!

So, this was a big week for me and my brand new, old, 2005 Honda Element w/ 149,600-miles, 5-speed stick, and front wheel drive.

Tuesday; my $3999-check cleared my Meredith bank, and I went and got the Honda down in Chichester.

Thursday; removed the 20-day paper plate, and attached two NH metal plates.

Friday; attached a good, strong automobile insurance policy to new used Honda.

Saturday; first day driving it ..... drove about 90-miles ..... cruise control works very good on Rt-93. One item NOT working good at all is the heater. The heater/defroster only blows cold air so this is a COLD problem!!!! ......

What a great car though, this 2005 Honda Element for $3999. Better go take it over to Forrest, soon, to figure out the NO HEAT, heater problem! .....

Good thing I still have the 220,000-mile Scion xB because it has a heater that gets warm fast, and heats it up very good!

You know, I wonder if I can take the no heat heater problem back to the used car business in Chichester which gave the car a state inspection sticker good through September, 2021. A working heater is a required item in a car, so technically it should not have passed the state inspection.

An air conditioner is NOT a required item. A heater/defroster IS a required item, and he gave me a state inspection sticker on this Honda that I purchased from him, which should apply to the heater/defroster ...... I am thinking, here.

Here's hoping this heater/defroster problem will be an easy fix, and I will take a serious look at the heater controls, again, today.

One degree above zero is the current outdoor temperature, here. Think I'll go take a two mile walk along that Mad River Trail that follows the Mad River, in the WMNF, and enjoy this cold winter outdoors forest walk covered with icy snow, while winter is still here! Beacause, there's a big big warm-up coming, just a couple days ahead. And, when it's warm out, I don't be need'n no heater/defroster! ...... ..... here's hope'n the air conditioner works real cold ..... ha-ha-ha!

And, most important of all, the bumper sticker from Ebay ...... 'I May Be Slow, But I'm Ahead Of You' ..... has arrived ..... and it includes a very nice drawing of a green and yellow turtle that has a sleepy look on it's face/eyes. ...... ha-ha-ha! .....

Last edited by fatlazyless; 03-07-2021 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-07-2021, 09:13 AM   #72
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Test drive

As is sale? This problem must have developed after you drove off the lot, because you certainly would have noticed it on the test drive. You did take it for a test drive, right? It's a 16 year old car. Tell us you did test drive it. Please?!?

Dave
Old 03-07-2021, 09:27 AM   #73
fatlazyless

Arrow ....... Honda - Honda - Honda!

Yes, I took it for a 45-minute test drive around Chichester, and Concord. It had a dealer plate and big bright yellow numbers on the upper right windshield that say $3999. A green state police car passes me on the left on Rt 202-Rt 4 close to the Merrimack River, there, and he just drive on past me.

This car business in Chichester impressed me as a very high quality business that specializes in cars below $5000, and other repairs like skid steers. It is a dealer for skid steer grapple attachments ..... long time business .... very good mechanic.

$3999 seems like a super steal of a deal for this car, if you see it, and it has four new struts and a few other small items like a new used power steering bracket.

I'm 69.5-years and plan to be shifting these Honda Element gears for the next 25-years, here. So, it's like a hobby type of a car, and is high enough up off the ground so's I can get underneath without raising it up on a stand.

I have two older sisters who drive a 2021 CRV, and a 2020 Pilot, and now I drive a 2005 Element, so we are a TOTALLY HONDA family, plus I have the 220,000-mile Scion for a reliable, spare vehicle that needs a quart of oil with every 11-gal gasoline fill-up. .....

"I Might Be Slow, But I'm Ahead of You!"
Old 03-08-2021, 06:38 AM   #74
BroadHopper

Default Used cars

Just when I purchase a 2014 allroad from San Jose with 30K on the clock a 2015 V60 Cross Country with 30K appears in Hooksett. Clean Carfax! Guess I can't win!
A really nice feature on the allroad is the preheater. The cabin warms up fast on these frosty mornings!
Old 03-08-2021, 07:32 AM   #75
fatlazyless

- If you buy a car located in San Jose, California, how does it get to the lakes region, NH, and how much does this car transportation cost you?

- I just emailed my Honda Element/cold defroster-heater used car seller an email, in Chichester NH, about this problem, and how a defroster is on the list of NH state inspection items, and am waiting for his reply.

Hopefully, it is some easy fix like a thermostat or something? ..... http://www.elementownersclub.com/thr...t-gives.51028/

This Honda Element has a cruise control that will go 25-mph in fourth gear, something very good to have for driving in Waterville Valley. The local WV-Police do a lot of stake-out, blue light stops for speeders above the 25-mph limit, who seem to frequently come from the great state of Massachusetts. Is not too unusual for someone to be driving like 35-40 mph in the 25-mph area ..... it happens a lot. Drivers from Mass ..... see the open road .... and they cannot resist their speeding ...... is open road ..... go for it! ...... a blue-lights WV-special awaits you! ...

- Does the Town of Waterville Valley make any money for a speeding ticket like this ...... or does it all go to the State of New Hampshire?

"I May Be Slow, But I am Ahead of You!" ...... (nice picture of a turtle)

Last edited by fatlazyless; 03-08-2021 at 08:22 AM.
Old 03-08-2021, 09:14 AM   #76
ApS

Question Yeah, But...

Quote:
- If you buy a car located in San Jose, California, how does it get to the lakes region, NH, and how much does this car transportation cost you?

- I just emailed my Honda Element/cold defroster-heater used car seller an email, in Chichester NH, about this problem, and how a defroster is on the list of NH state inspection items, and am waiting for his reply.

Hopefully, it is some easy fix like a thermostat or something? ..... http://www.elementownersclub.com/thr...t-gives.51028/

This Honda Element has a cruise control that will go 25-mph in fourth gear, something very good to have for driving in Waterville Valley. The local WV-Police do a lot of stake-out, blue light stops for speeders above the 25-mph limit, who seem to frequently come from the great state of Massachusetts. Is not too unusual for someone to be driving like 35-40 mph in the 25-mph area ..... it happens a lot. Drivers from Mass ..... see the open road .... and they cannot resist their speeding ...... is open road ..... go for it! ...... a blue-lights WV-special awaits you! ...

- Does the Town of Waterville Valley make any money for a speeding ticket like this ...... or does it all go to the State of New Hampshire?

"I May Be Slow, But I am Ahead of You!" ...... (nice picture of a turtle)
Have you checked the rate of engine oil consumption?
Old 03-08-2021, 11:11 AM   #77
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
Have you checked the rate of engine oil consumption?
On this 2005 Element with a Honda 4-cyl, 165-hp engine ....... have only had it for about two days of driving ...... 5W-20 full synthetic ..... bought one spare quart for $4.98 ...... and have already checked the oil maybe twice ...... is too early to say .... so far so good..... the new oil is so clean it is almost difficult to see where it's at on the dip stick.

My used car seller in Chichester says "bring it on back so we can check it out .... the defroster ..... Tuesday at 9:30-am ...... HURRAY for this good guy!!! ...
Old 03-09-2021, 06:21 AM   #78
steve-on-mark

Quote:
On this 2005 Element with a Honda 4-cyl, 165-hp engine ....... have only had it for about two days of driving ...... 5W-20 full synthetic ..... bought one spare quart for $4.98 ...... and have already checked the oil maybe twice ...... is too early to say .... so far so good..... the new oil is so clean it is almost difficult to see where it's at on the dip stick.

My used car seller in Chichester says "bring it on back so we can check it out .... the defroster ..... Tuesday at 9:30-am ...... HURRAY for this good guy!!! ...
Simple...if the temperature gauge is reading close to the middle, the thermostat is ok. I would check the heater core for clogs...that's a thing with these. I would think that someone so full of hot air should be able to circumvent any vehicle heating issue!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 03-09-2021, 06:51 AM   #79
fatlazyless

This guy in Chichester, www.chaseautollc.com, I think he is always looking for Honda Elements that need some repair and then be sold. He say that he sold three different Elements to the same woman in Concord and was think'n she be buying this one, too? This one has four new struts and a few other items like a used power steering pump bracket.

So far, I drive it about 250-miles, locally, and it really drives very good, especially the cruise control and the cd-player. I'm definitely out there, driv'n that NH golden road ..... is like the best $3999 I ever spend, so far!

First 30-dollar fill-up got a bottle of Techron fuel system cleaner, second 30-dollar fill-up, yesterday, got a bottle of Lucas Sea Foam gas treatment and upper cylinder lube, thereafter it gets a dose of bright red Mystery Oil added to the gasoline with every fill-up.

I always check the oil dipstick with each and every fill-up ...... is like a religious experience!

This 149,650-mile, 5-speed, fwd 2005 Element is going the duration, all-the-way to 400,000-miles!
Old 03-09-2021, 08:11 AM   #80
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
You did take it for a test drive, right? It's a 16 year old car. Tell us you did test drive it. Please?!? Dave
More to the point, please tell us you had your own trusted mechanic go over the car before you bought it.

For people of limited means (not saying that's you, Fatlazyless; I say this for others who may have limited means), here's how to buy a RELIABLE used car:

1. Figure out the class of car you need, such as "subcompact SUV"
2. Research that class at reliable websites like Edmunds. Consult more than one such source.
3. Narrow your search down to about 5 top contenders.
4. Spend a LOT of time reading both professional and consumer reviews of those cars. Focus especially on mechanical reliability and gas consumption (the two things that matter most to lower-income people). Check the car's safety rating.
5. Hunt for your desired car online. Don't wander from dealer to dealer---that's very time consuming and often yields nothing.
6. Target cars with less than 70,000 miles. This should give you about 50,000 miles before major problems develop (depending on the make and model). In my experience (Toyota, Scion), the cut-off line for expensive mechanical problems is about 150,000 miles. If you buy a car with 120,000 miles, it may have another 100,000 miles of life left, but those could be expensive miles.
7. Track the results of your search on a chart.
8. When you find the right car, check it thoroughly yourself using the Consumer Reports checklist for items that can be easily checked on the lot. Test drive it in town and on the highway, using the CS checklist.
9. Take the car to your own mechanic and have it thoroughly inspected for items that you can't check yourself. Skip this step at your peril. Again use the Consumer Reports checklist. Ask your mechanic to drive the car in town and on the highway.
10. Ideally, sell the car before it hits 100,000 miles for two reasons: to get rid of it before it dies, and because it's harder for people to get a bank loan on a car with over 100,000 miles.

If you follow this method carefully, you should be able to upgrade a bit with each purchase (buy wisely, take good care of the car, sell wisely).

Private sales (for both buying and selling your car) are riskier but will save you up to $2000 on a used car under $10,000.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:22 AM   #81
ApS

Arrow Check Under the Passenger's Floormat for Staining/Rust...

Quote:
While I've never had any car maintenance or tires done at the Wilson Tire that's close to the Plymouth Walmart, it most likely has a higher level of quality.

Here's a car repair in Campton, just seconds north of Plymouth, that I trust ..... www.forresthowesautorepair.com ..... and they are big with doing alignments which is something the 220,000-Scion needs right now ..... along with replacing the four original spark plugs.

Hey ....... so ....... how can you not trust a car repair with a name that's very similar to the forest!

So, this was a big week for me and my brand new, old, 2005 Honda Element w/ 149,600-miles, 5-speed stick, and front wheel drive.

Tuesday; my $3999-check cleared my Meredith bank, and I went and got the Honda down in Chichester.

Thursday; removed the 20-day paper plate, and attached two NH metal plates.

Friday; attached a good, strong automobile insurance policy to new used Honda.

Saturday; first day driving it ..... drove about 90-miles ..... cruise control works very good on Rt-93. One item NOT working good at all is the heater. The heater/defroster only blows cold air so this is a COLD problem!!!! ......

What a great car though, this 2005 Honda Element for $3999. Better go take it over to Forrest, soon, to figure out the NO HEAT, heater problem! .....

Good thing I still have the 220,000-mile Scion xB because it has a heater that gets warm fast, and heats it up very good!

You know, I wonder if I can take the no heat heater problem back to the used car business in Chichester which gave the car a state inspection sticker good through September, 2021. A working heater is a required item in a car, so technically it should not have passed the state inspection.

An air conditioner is NOT a required item. A heater/defroster IS a required item, and he gave me a state inspection sticker on this Honda that I purchased from him, which should apply to the heater/defroster ...... I am thinking, here.

Here's hoping this heater/defroster problem will be an easy fix, and I will take a serious look at the heater controls, again, today.

One degree above zero is the current outdoor temperature, here. Think I'll go take a two mile walk along that Mad River Trail that follows the Mad River, in the WMNF, and enjoy this cold winter outdoors forest walk covered with icy snow, while winter is still here! Beacause, there's a big big warm-up coming, just a couple days ahead. And, when it's warm out, I don't be need'n no heater/defroster! ...... ..... here's hope'n the air conditioner works real cold ..... ha-ha-ha!

And, most important of all, the bumper sticker from Ebay ...... 'I May Be Slow, But I'm Ahead Of You' ..... has arrived ..... and it includes a very nice drawing of a green and yellow turtle that has a sleepy look on it's face/eyes. ...... ha-ha-ha! .....
A heater leaking into the passenger's footwell is a very extensive repair, involving the area behind and under the dashboard. A previous owner's plugging of the heater to "fix" the leak would compromise both the heater and the defroster.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:32 PM   #82
fatlazyless

So ....... the problem with the heater is due to an electric glitch in the heat level control known as a rotary actuator, that is attached to the dial for adjusting the level of heat. It needs a new rotary actuator and none of their regular suppliers in the Concord area had one, so it was ordered, and I RETURN this Thursday morning to have it installed.

Meanwhile the heat is now working on a temporary fix. As long as I don't turn the heat knob to the left beyond the ten o'clock position, it works fine. Turning it beyond ten o'clock shorts it out.

This 149,000-mile 2005 Honda Element for $3999 is the single #1 greatest used car purchase ever made in the world history of used car purchases since cars were first invented, and even beyond that, going back to the year-1776 and the horse drawn carriage sold by used, fast talk'n, Virginia carriage salesman, George Washington, himself, prior to becoming ye very first president of ye U.S.A. ........ hear-ye, hear-ye, hear-ye!

www.chaseautollc.com in Chichester

This Honda Element is so good that this is the one single Honda car that Soichiro Honda, 1906-1991, would chose to be driving, if he were still alive today because Dr. Honda was a big fan for the 5-speed manual transmission!

Hey ....... here's an undercoat local service you might consider ....... Busky's Auto & Towing in Ashland is a Wool Wax dealer/installer that applies the Wool Wax undercoat spray.

Learn more about Wool Wax ....... or is it Wool-wax? I will probably get this Honda Element treated with the Wool Wax undercoat in May, once the weather warms up? It is a sticky oil product so it maybe penetrates into old rust and helps to slow it down ...... is maybe time to treat that old orange rust bucket ..... before it totally rusts away. ...... ..... eeek ...... no more car ..... is just a pile of rust! .....

Last edited by fatlazyless; 03-10-2021 at 05:09 AM.
Old 03-10-2021, 10:13 AM   #83
TheProfessor

There are basically 3 modern types of rust prevention.
Never to be confused with the older Rusty Jones and Zebart. Those products dried hard and were more similar to Line-X.

Waxoyl - only for new cars.

Lanolin based spray treatment.

Oil based spray treatment.

NH Oil Undercoating - oil based. Cost about $169.00 or thereabouts.
LINK

My 2002 pickup has zero rust on top and under.
Old 03-14-2021, 07:55 AM   #84
fatlazyless

www.nhoilundercoating.com located in can-you-believe-it ..... in the under $6000, used car dealer and NH-Vt drunk driving defense attorney, super great NH town of CHICHESTER, NH is where you will find this NH Undercoating business.

For some unknown reason have just become the target for google ads - NH Undercoating ad video where they spray this black gunky stuff on the underside of a car!
Old 03-14-2021, 08:53 AM   #85
Biggd

Question

WOW, this thread reminds me of the Seinfeld show, the show about nothing that just keeps on going.
Old 03-14-2021, 09:02 AM   #86
fatlazyless

Quote:
WOW, this thread reminds me of the Seinfeld show, the show about nothing that just keeps on going.
Believe you mean Seinfeld ....... not Sinfeld ...... www.seinfeldscripts.com/seinfeld-cast.html .... me, am a natural Kramer! You just get lucky and corrected that before I make this post!
Old 03-14-2021, 09:13 AM   #87
Biggd

Quote:
Believe you mean Seinfeld ....... not Sinfeld ...... www.seinfeldscripts.com/seinfeld-cast.html .... me, am a natural Kramer! You just get lucky and corrected that before I make this post!
Not luck, I'm fast.
You're just half fast.
upthesaukee (03-15-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 11:41 AM   #88
fatlazyless

Default ...... worlds greatest silver 2013 Scion xB w/ 220,500-miles

I have a registered and state inspected 2013 Scion xB w/ 220,500-miles, all driven by me, purchased new in May 2014 from Irwin Toyota for $15,200, 5-speed manual, 4-cylinder 165-hp engine, roof racks, four new Viva-3 tires, trailer hitch.

Starts, runs, drives, every time ..... is very reliable. Everything works including cruise control, am-fm cd-disc player.

Asking price $2000 ........ mention this Winnipesaukee Forum and I lower the asking price down to $1500.

Is located way down the end of Meredith Neck.

Passed NH state inspection September 2020 at Valvoline-Union Ave, Laconia.

Was hit by a hit & run in Feb 2020 and the two right side doors got smashed up, pushed in, but still open, close, and lock just fine .... which is very hard to believe.

Engine consumes oil ...... always needs one 5W-20 quart oil added ..... with every eleven gallon gasoline fill-up.

Take a test drive ....... come on down!

Feels like it maybe could use four new struts or something? Still has original four spark plugs. Includes new ngk plugs in the box and serpentine belt for you to install although the existing belt was inspected and said to be very excellent.

Open recall: Takata airbags, never happened!

Brakes; brakes redone not too long ago?

I use it to haul a small utility trailer loaded with wet leaves to the Meredith transfer station. Has a red, twenty dollar, Meredith dump sticker good through end of June, 2021.

I recently get a 2005 Honda Element w/ 149,000-miles, 5-speed, fwd, for $3999 ...... the greatest used car purchase ...... ever made ..... in the world history of used cars ...... and, I made it! I thought the xB was a very boxy car ...... but this Honda Element is like way more boxy than the xB.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 03-24-2021 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-24-2021, 05:14 PM   #89
Biggd

Quote:
I have a registered and state inspected 2013 Scion xB w/ 220,500-miles, all driven by me, purchased new in May 2014 from Irwin Toyota for $15,200, 5-speed manual, 4-cylinder 165-hp engine, roof racks, four new Viva-3 tires, trailer hitch.

Starts, runs, drives, every time ..... is very reliable. Everything works including cruise control, am-fm cd-disc player.

Asking price $2000 ........ mention this Winnipesaukee Forum and I lower the asking price down to $1500.

Is located way down the end of Meredith Neck.

Passed NH state inspection September 2020 at Valvoline-Union Ave, Laconia.

Was hit by a hit & run in Feb 2020 and the two right side doors got smashed up, pushed in, but still open, close, and lock just fine .... which is very hard to believe.

Engine consumes oil ...... always needs one 5W-20 quart oil added ..... with every eleven gallon gasoline fill-up.

Take a test drive ....... come on down!

Feels like it maybe could use four new struts or something? Still has original four spark plugs. Includes new ngk plugs in the box and serpentine belt for you to install although the existing belt was inspected and said to be very excellent.

Open recall: Takata airbags, never happened!

Brakes; brakes redone not too long ago?

I use it to haul a small utility trailer loaded with wet leaves to the Meredith transfer station. Has a red, twenty dollar, Meredith dump sticker good through end of June, 2021.

I recently get a 2005 Honda Element w/ 149,000-miles, 5-speed, fwd, for $3999 ...... the greatest used car purchase ...... ever made ..... in the world history of used cars ...... and, I made it! I thought the xB was a very boxy car ...... but this Honda Element is like way more boxy than the xB.
Buyer beware!

Old 03-24-2021, 07:25 PM   #90
fatlazyless

Attn Islanders:

Forgot to mention this is a one-of-a-kind AMPHIBIOUS Scion xB ...... very capable to float low in the waters of nearby Lake Winnipesaukee ..... but high enough so's the air intake is above the water.

Equipped with four tires with very aggressive treads that work like four paddle wheels, plus two large foam noodles attached to the two roof racks keep it afloat, high and dry!

At just $1500 ..... this is an incredible steal of a deal ..... so's you gotta buy it quik before someone else grabs it! ......

Is totally and absolutely the PERFECT car for cruis'n those oldie island roadways in your golden years ...... gets 34 mpg!

With this new, old, Honda Element ...... is really something NOT to be pouring in a quart of oil at every gasoline fill-up ..... but I do definitely check it.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 03-25-2021 at 06:02 AM.
Old 03-25-2021, 06:02 AM   #91
TiltonBB

Default Demonstration Time!

I think you would have a better chance of selling the Scion as amphibious if you demonstrated it and posted a video.

I think many forum members would offer to operate the camera!
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Biggd (03-25-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 09:06 AM   #92
fatlazyless

.... holy smokes .... Toyota must have someone who reads this automotive section, here, because today's mail includes a 6"x9" heavy cardboard envelope with an 8 1/2" x 11" URGENT AIRBAG SAFETY RECALL notice that starts off with "Dear Walter" ..... a lot of relevant airbag safety recall info ..... Takata airbags supposedly will explode in your face ...... for this free airbag replacement ..... and signed "Sincerely, Scion Airbag Recall Team"

...... this has got to be the most personal letter I have received since November, 2013, or something ..... plus it even has a large picture of the Scion emblem in the upper left hand corner .....

So, whoever is like really totally desperate and gets stuck with buying my old 220,500-miles Scion ...... I will include this letter so you may proceed to Irwin Toyota and get the airbags replaced ...... courtesy of Toyota ..... but first I need to remove everything from the car ..... it looks like a homeless person has been living in it ..... and needs a good de-clutter, clean-out, $14-car wash/wax and Armor All vinyl treatment before it is properly ready for new airbags .....

...... a thousand thank-yous to Scion in Plano, Texas for thinking about me! ....... ......... kiss-kiss!
Old 03-26-2021, 10:11 AM   #93
WinnisquamZ

$14! The Laconia car wash, which is my personal favorite, the top wash is $19. I personally ask for the $15 wash and give them a $5 tip. They then wash the whole car with a brush and hose. Excellent value play

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 07:50 AM   #94
fatlazyless

I don't know but it apparently seems like Toyota and Irwin Toyota have some service that actually monitors this thread because I have received emails that are very relevant to my 220,500-mile Scion xB.

Scion from Texas mails in the snail mail a large letter about their air bag recall, and how to get it done.

One day later, Irwin Zone sends me an email on how they will buy a used car for cash even when I do not purchase a car from them ... email w/ color car photo/graphics.

Plymouth Ford would only give me one hundred dollar trade-in value toward purchase of a used Corolla with a price above $10,000 so it will probably be underwhelming to see how little that Irwin may offer in cash? But it don't cost nothing to find out.
Old 03-27-2021, 09:51 AM   #95
Biggd

Wash, rinse, repeat! 7360 and counting.
Old 03-27-2021, 12:16 PM   #96
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Quote:
Ha-Ha!!!
HA-HA-HA-HA-HA, HA-HA!!!
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 02:45 PM   #97
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
You are actually a more prolific poster than Walter! His yearly average is around 433, yours is closing on 600!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 03:30 PM   #98
Biggd

Maybe I can catch him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
You are actually a more prolific poster than Walter! His yearly average is around 433, yours is closing on 600!
Old 04-02-2021, 05:24 AM   #99
fatlazyless

Default ..... new life as tennis teaching Scion xB

Hurray ...... new life for world's greatest 220,500-mile 2013-Scion xB ..... sold it for 877-dollars, sale to happen on June 6, to a guy from south Florida who comes to NH in summer and teaches local tennis classes for local town and summer camp.

Silver Scion xB will keep on rock'n for a few more years, hopefully, as a seasonal summer only vehicle all loaded down with tennis items ..... tennis balls, ball cart, tennis rackets, and tennis teacher ....... get it in gear with an air-conditioned car with everything..... tennis ..... good enough!

Will pass along air bag recall information to new owner, at that time. Who knows, maybe I actually get air bags done at Irwin Toyota between now and June 6!

Four original spark plugs still in engine ...... is hard to believe!

So, the private tennis class players arrive to the Holderness courts in something like an Audi or a Range Rover or a Ford Explorer..... and the tennis teacher drives a 220,500-mile plus Scion xB with an engine oil problem to teach the tennis class ..... is what happens ..... oh well??? ..... as long as it gets there and the air conditioner makes cold air!

Hey TOYOTA ..... maybe you read this thread down in Plano, Texas and make decision to repair the oil consumption problem that has been present in this Scion 4-cylinder engine for its entire driving life, starting back in 2014. After all ....... you are Toyota!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 04-02-2021 at 07:01 AM.