Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2019, 07:45 PM   #1
Formula260SS

Default Ceramic Coating / Diamond Shine

After purchasing a new Whaler I decided to show our Formula some love, it's 19 years old and the Gel Coat had been fairly well maintained but time certainly took it's toll. After looking at a friends boat Diamond Shine buffed and ceramic coated (gel coat dead as a door nail) I was shocked how well it came out. John had been telling me about Ceramic but after seeing it I dragged the ole girl over.

Needless to say DS did a fantastic job cleaning, buffing and applying the Ceramic - It looks freakin brand new, so good I didn't put it back in the water. Today I was in the driveway cleaning off the typical dust and debris, I was amazed how easily it cleaned off with water and microfiber. After a quick coat with the Ceramic detailer spray it's shinning even more.

Robin told me the coating lasts 2-3 years and everything on the interweb says the same, even longer if you maintain it well. Time will certainly tell but if this works out like I'm hearing it's the only way to go for anyone who likes a clean boat. The new Whaler goes over soon, I can't wait to see what a new surface looks like with this stuff.

It's not inexpensive (depending on prep) but from what I can tell well worth it, fantastic job from Diamond Shine again.
Formula260SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:52 PM   #2
SAB1

Finishing up my third season after John and his crew did my boat. Still looks great and I use that spray detailer frequently. Ishoot recommend Diamond Shine and although a bit more than I was looking to spend it was worth every cent.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 06:15 AM   #3
iw8surf

Have been using Diamond Shine for my boat annually since I purchased it. For a wake boat the sparkly gel coat continues to look brand new year after year. Id definitely recommend them.
iw8surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 06:17 AM   #4
Phantom

Another Vote for Ceramic coating !!

We just had our 26' Crown Bowrider done by Getty Shine ………… our is classic Black on white and because of the sun beating down past the canvas the black on the bow had turned to a "chalky" grayish color along with other sections mid ship & in places along the freeboard.

As Formula states --- We bought a new boat!!

Not knocking Diamond Shine (never used them) but we had a great experience with John Getty / Getty Shine …. picked the boat up on one of their trailers from our Marina and took it to their shop mid week as we were having it completely detailed as well. "In for a penny - in for a pound ".
Old 09-09-2019, 06:45 AM   #5
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Another Vote for Ceramic coating !!

We just had our 26' Crown Bowrider done by Getty Shine ………… our is classic Black on white and because of the sun beating down past the canvas the black on the bow had turned to a "chalky" grayish color along with other sections mid ship & in places along the freeboard.

As Formula states --- We bought a new boat!!

Not knocking Diamond Shine (never used them) but we had a great experience with John Getty / Getty Shine …. picked the boat up on one of their trailers from our Marina and took it to their shop mid week as we were having it completely detailed as well. "In for a penny - in for a pound ".
Would you mind sharing the cost?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2019, 08:29 AM   #6
Phantom

Check PM's
Old 09-09-2019, 09:23 AM   #7
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Check PM's
Got it. Thank you for the information I have a 2017 310 SLX bowrider and would like to get it done before next season.
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:33 AM   #8
Phantom

I am confident that the rates between Getty & Diamond are competitive -- so, given equal recommendations of both places it's really a question of who can schedule it in for you.
joey2665 (09-09-2019)
Old 09-09-2019, 12:32 PM   #9
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Would you mind sharing the cost?
On the phone, they said $100-$125 a linear foot for a sportboat/runabout. Obviously, other services may be added, such as transport/deliver and it depends on the age & condition, previous wet sanding. That's about $2400- $3000+/- for my 24' cuddy. Guaranteed for three years, so you don't have to pay for annual wax/buff, etc, just wipe and clean after use.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (09-09-2019)
Old 09-09-2019, 03:45 PM   #10
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
On the phone, they said $100-$125 a linear foot for a sportboat/runabout. Obviously, other services may be added, such as transport/deliver and it depends on the age & condition, previous wet sanding. That's about $2400- $3000+/- for my 24' cuddy. Guaranteed for three years, so you don't have to pay for annual wax/buff, etc, just wipe and clean after use.
I had passed my actual cost over to Joey in PM ….. but your certainly in the right ballpark (perhaps a tish high) but as you state - depends on individual boat condition, the amount of wet sanding needed, and if that will cure all gouges/dock swipes depending on depth of the scratch !

I know I got a showroom boat back in my slip & am QUITE pleased.
joey2665 (09-09-2019)
Old 09-09-2019, 04:10 PM   #11
Formula260SS

Quote:
I had passed my actual cost over to Joey in PM ….. but your certainly in the right ballpark (perhaps a tish high) but as you state - depends on individual boat condition, the amount of wet sanding needed, and if that will cure all gouges/dock swipes depending on depth of the scratch !

I know I got a showroom boat back in my slip & am QUITE pleased.
I think the range is correct BUT depends on the prep needed and other things they do at the same time. I got a full interior / engine bay detail as well.

I think the true test is how long it lasts, we already have one person on year three with good results. I would say anything beyond that is gravy, what are we paying for buff / wax jobs $800.00 - $1,000.00?? Remember a boat can only be buffed so many times before the gelcoat gets too thin. This was a factor for me as I plan on keeping the boat a lot longer.
The Following User Says Thank You to Formula260SS For This Useful Post:
Phantom (09-10-2019)
Old 09-09-2019, 04:13 PM   #12
Formula260SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula260SS View Post
I think the range is correct BUT depends on the prep needed and other things they do at the same time. I got a full interior / engine bay detail as well.

I think the true test is how long it lasts, we already have one person on year three with good results. I would say anything beyond that is gravy, what are we paying for buff / wax jobs $800.00 - $1,000.00?? Remember a boat can only be buffed so many times before the gelcoat gets too thin. This was a factor for me as I plan on keeping the boat a lot longer.
One more thing - with Ceramic when it starts fading you go back for another coating before it needs buffing again and that is much less expensive. The money is in the prep not the ceramic
Old 09-09-2019, 06:05 PM   #13
Lakeboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula260SS View Post
One more thing - with Ceramic when it starts fading you go back for another coating before it needs buffing again and that is much less expensive. The money is in the prep not the ceramic
I thought the actual ceramic coating or liquid was fairly expensive itself. I don’t mean at any of the mentioned detailers just in general.
Lakeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:03 PM   #14
Formula260SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeboater View Post
I thought the actual ceramic coating or liquid was fairly expensive itself. I don’t mean at any of the mentioned detailers just in general.
What I found online was the Ceramic to coat my boat was about $400.00. Based on the cost it's pretty minimal overall comparatively. I was admiring the finish again tonight, I love it. Considering taking a stab at the Harley myself.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:57 PM   #15
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

I was told by one of the detail people mentioned above that it costs $1,000 for a 5 ounce bottle. I'd hate to drop the bottle!
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:18 PM   #16
Descant

Default Cost?

If you have to ask...
Old 02-14-2020, 02:11 PM   #17
Descant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
If you have to ask...
A few days after this post I called Diamond Shine. They came out and looked at both my boats, and quoted. The "Viking" is a 1994 Sea Ray Overnighter. In reasonable condition for its age and I'm not a buff and wax guy, so it ended up at $125/foot. For this, they picked up and delivered before and after the work, cleaned inside and out, washed the canvas and ceramic coated. The boat was in valet with a plastic cover which they removed and then reinstalled.
Everything was done with Robin by phone. I'll plan to meet them in the spring. Just before the NE Boat Show, she called to confirm dates, etc. When the work was done two days ago, she sent pictures. The boat looks FANTASTIC. Hard to believe it is 26 years old. Loved the contact, the convenience and the quality of work.

My other boat is a small Apreamare with a lot of woodwork, so it's going next door to Hi-Gloss Boat Restorations in March. Strip, clean, 6-8 coats of varnish and then I expect to put it on the market. PM me if you're interested in a beautiful Italian cabin cruiser.
Attached Images

Old 02-14-2020, 02:18 PM   #18
AC2717

Quote:
Check PM's
would you mind sharing pricing with me as well in PM
Old 02-14-2020, 09:55 PM   #19
Descant

Default Sent PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
would you mind sharing pricing with me as well in PM
No need for PM. It was $125/foot. They did a great job and it's obvious they are proud of their work, so no need to be secretive. As noted above, this included pick up and delivery (300 yards?) and was in February when the scheduling was good for them. I doubt you can get scheduled in during May/June. 24' x $125=$3000.
If you're asking about the Apreamare, we haven't fully decided scope of work. For the initial strip bleach and varnish, Hi-Gloss came over and gave an estimate. In that discussion, we added some other possible wok to be determined when the boat is in the shop. PM on that boat if you need more detail.
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (02-18-2020)