Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Weather
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2015, 10:59 PM   #1
Paugus bay girl

Default El Nino

Loving this beautiful weather! They were right about that El Nino thing! So happy it hasn't snowed yet. I can certainly do without it. Wouldn't hurt my feelings if we never got any this year.
Paugus bay girl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paugus bay girl For This Useful Post:
JanN (12-17-2015)
Old 12-17-2015, 04:49 AM   #2
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paugus bay girl View Post
Loving this beautiful weather! They were right about that El Nino thing! So happy it hasn't snowed yet. I can certainly do without it. Wouldn't hurt my feelings if we never got any this year.
Yes but our economy will certainly suffer!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 06:51 AM   #3
PaugusBayFireFighter

Default Snow is good for the economy here

Agreed that the snow drives the economy. Lots of property, toys, etc. bought last spring after a good winter for the labor force.
Mother Nature always averages things out and there's no doubt we will eventually pay the piper.
You can clearly see the way the nation has been dealing with the prevailing weather pattern (trough/ridge structure) by looking at the current snow cover.
Attached Images

PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 07:41 AM   #4
trfour

El Niņo or ņo, if Mother Nature decides to let it snow, it's go'in snow...

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 02:59 PM   #5
SIKSUKR

Quote:
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" is sure a popular saying and it very appropriate for this thread starter. Not sure how temps a mere 8 degrees above normal which in turn means rainy dreary days like today make for "beautiful weather". There are many of us are not so "happy" it has not snowed yet and that think this weather is terrible and certainly hurts the economy around here. It is a downright disaster for the ski industry coming into what is one of their 3 biggest money maker holiday periods of the season. Never could understand why people live here if they dont like snow.
billy (12-19-2015), HellRaZoR004 (12-17-2015), HomeWood (12-19-2015), Pine Island Guy (12-18-2015)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2015, 09:34 PM   #6
Paugus bay girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" is sure a popular saying and it very appropriate for this thread starter. Not sure how temps a mere 8 degrees above normal which in turn means rainy dreary days like today make for "beautiful weather". There are many of us are not so "happy" it has not snowed yet and that think this weather is terrible and certainly hurts the economy around here. It is a downright disaster for the ski industry coming into what is one of their 3 biggest money maker holiday periods of the season. Never could understand why people live here if they dont like snow.
yea, but people wont have money to spend if they're constantly filling their oil or buying wood!
Old 12-17-2015, 09:36 PM   #7
Paugus bay girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Yes but our economy will certainly suffer!
It will suffer anyways when we're all going broke buying heating fuel and have no money for skiing, sledding, or other things we want. People need to learn to not rely on winter as a source of income. Be more versatile.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:49 PM   #8
Paugus bay girl

Quote:
It will suffer anyways when we're all going broke buying heating fuel and have no money for skiing, sledding, or other things we want. People need to learn to not rely on winter as a source of income. Be more versatile.
Besides, winter is a pain in the butt more than anything. Frozen pipes, high heating bills, sickness, dead car batteries, dirty cars, salt/sand all over everything; including in my house!!, cold, shoveling, slippery roads, nothing to do, everything is white and grey, which makes for deep depression, so yeah, I can do without winter! I only stay here cause all my family is here, and I love it here in the summer.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:09 AM   #9
brk-lnt

Quote:
Never could understand why people live here if they dont like snow.
I think that quite often people rarely end up being able to choose where to live with local climate as their #1 selection criteria. Family, job specifics, financial limitations often dictate where someone ends up living much more so than "I live here for the weather".

And if you truly *like* snow, this probably wouldn't be your first choice, there are places in the US with far better snow, and related activities.

Winter in NH is ultimately a highly variable season. Some people enjoy it, some people profit from it, and many others simply tolerate it. But to say you live here primarily for the winter season out of pure choice would seem a bit poorly thought out.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:46 AM   #10
Pine Island Guy

Default it's not just us...

Quote:
yea, but people wont have money to spend if they're constantly filling their oil or buying wood!
I believe SIKSUKR's point is that NH is a tourist economy year round!! Just like in the summer when it is cold and rainy... the NH boating, restaurant, hotel, etc. businesses suffer... and in the winter when it is warm(er) and rainy... the skiing, restaurant, hotel, etc businesses suffer...

We are very dependent on people coming from out of state to enjoy NH in the winter... and besides, doesn't everyone want a white Christmas?!?!

I do love being able to get back and forth to the island by boat, but I also welcome ice-in and snow (although last year was a little extreme in the snow department)...

Ho Ho Ho -PIG
Pine Island Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pine Island Guy For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (12-20-2015)
Old 12-18-2015, 02:09 PM   #11
Redbarn

Default tourism

I have absolutely no numbers or information to back up what I am about to say but...
Is NH really a tourist state? I know it is a large part of the economy, but this seems to be said a lot by people who vacation in NH and that is all they see. NH has some really large companies for such a small state. To name a couple Velcro, HP, Dyn, what ever it is Dean Kamen does these days, autodesk, insite industries, etc. That ignores the fact that the entire southern part of the state commutes to mass and brings there money back.
I am not saying we don't have a huge tourism industry I am just saying there is a lot more going on then meets the eye.
Redbarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 08:38 PM   #12
DesertDweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbarn View Post
I have absolutely no numbers or information to back up what I am about to say but...
Is NH really a tourist state? I know it is a large part of the economy, but this seems to be said a lot by people who vacation in NH and that is all they see. NH has some really large companies for such a small state. To name a couple Velcro, HP, Dyn, what ever it is Dean Kamen does these days, autodesk, insite industries, etc. That ignores the fact that the entire southern part of the state commutes to mass and brings there money back.
I am not saying we don't have a huge tourism industry I am just saying there is a lot more going on then meets the eye.
Tourism is either the second or third largest industry in the state depending on what article you read. Smart manufacturing/high-tech is first and healthcare is either two or three.
DesertDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DesertDweller For This Useful Post:
Redbarn (12-19-2015)
Old 12-19-2015, 07:35 AM   #13
HomeWood

Too much of this "beautiful weather" and there will not be a Rotary fishing derby in several weeks. I cannot see that as something to celebrate. I've been in the Caribbean all week (first time here) and I would trade places with you in a second, PBG.
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 11:36 AM   #14
trfour

Smile

I think someone's in for a loooooonnng Wintah...

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
Old 12-23-2015, 10:23 AM   #15
SIKSUKR

Thumbs down I embrace all the seasons

After yesterdays beautiful balmy 46 degree rainy weather tonite will bring more "beautiful" 50 degree downpours and then a wonderful 65 degree Christmas eve. Merry x-mas from the beautiful weather state of NH.
Attached Images

Old 12-23-2015, 12:42 PM   #16
gtagrip

Quote:
After yesterdays beautiful balmy 46 degree rainy weather tonite will bring more "beautiful" 50 degree downpours and then a wonderful 65 degree Christmas eve. Merry x-mas from the beautiful weather state of NH.
Not good! Looks like a bust for the ski areas this Christmas/New Years week!
gtagrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 02:09 PM   #17
PaugusBayFireFighter

Back to normal next week, then we can start bitching about the cold.
Attached Images

Old 12-23-2015, 02:22 PM   #18
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Wow PBFF, What weather site is that? The "Weather Channel" shows it being a lot warmer than than your extended forecast... http://www.weather.com/weather/tenda...nav_undeclared

I like yours better!!

Merry Christmas!

Dan
Old 12-23-2015, 02:43 PM   #19
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Wow PBFF, What weather site is that? The "Weather Channel" shows it being a lot warmer than than your extended forecast... http://www.weather.com/weather/tenda...nav_undeclared

I like yours better!!

Merry Christmas!

Dan
Merry Christmas to you as well.
That's Accuweather. I have a few sites I like but my favorite is "Storm" from Weather Underground. The maps are great. They have many options like lightning warning, animated wind flow, storm cell direction and eta to each town, etc.. Here is our current map. If you, or anyone, likes weather...check it out!
Attached Images

Old 12-24-2015, 07:23 AM   #20
Blue Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter View Post
Merry Christmas to you as well.
That's Accuweather. I have a few sites I like but my favorite is "Storm" from Weather Underground. The maps are great. They have many options like lightning warning, animated wind flow, storm cell direction and eta to each town, etc.. Here is our current map. If you, or anyone, likes weather...check it out!
I am using the "Storm" app on my phone as well. Excellent graphics and live radar come in very handy especially in the summer when boating.
Old 12-24-2015, 08:21 AM   #21
Merrymeeting

Assuming the forecast holds, we'll see lots of ice formation and return to "normalcy" next week. Long range forecast shows 7+ days of very low temps, and days where it barely gets above freezing. Bays and calm areas should be iced over by New Years.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 10:30 AM   #22
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
Assuming the forecast holds, we'll see lots of ice formation and return to "normalcy" next week. Long range forecast shows 7+ days of very low temps, and days where it barely gets above freezing. Bays and calm areas should be iced over by New Years.
I would agree with you IF the water temp was around 34 degrees but it isn't...The water temp still needs to drop about 10 degrees and that's not going to happen overnight. At best water temps drop 1 degree per day in very cold weather, so we need need 10 days of cold weather just to get water temps where they need to be to start freezing.

I hope I'm wrong...

Merry Christmas!

Dan
Old 12-24-2015, 12:04 PM   #23
Formula260SS

Quote:
I would agree with you IF the water temp was around 34 degrees but it isn't...The water temp still needs to drop about 10 degrees and that's not going to happen overnight. At best water temps drop 1 degree per day in very cold weather, so we need need 10 days of cold weather just to get water temps where they need to be to start freezing.

I hope I'm wrong...

Merry Christmas!

Dan
I totally agree, where can we get Water Temp Data? I can't find it anywhere
Formula260SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 01:36 PM   #24
Merrymeeting

Most of the "official" temp sites are offline for one reason or another.

I took a reading of 40 degrees with mine on Tuesday, which usually tracks with Winni fairly well.

My comment about the bays and calm areas is based on a forecast that shows averages in the 20's for several days. Usually the coves will start skimming over when the readings are 38 or below, and the air is colder.

Sunset Lake in Middleton was completely skimmed over a few days ago. Granted it is a smaller, shallow lake. But things must be getting close for areas like that one to skim completely over even when it only gets minimally cold for one day.
Old 12-24-2015, 04:16 PM   #25
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
Usually the coves will start skimming over when the readings are 38 or below, and the air is colder.
I think that is predicated on a streak of cold weather leading up to that point. The unseasonably warm weather has kept the lake much warmer and it's going to take several weeks of weather in the 30's to pull enough heat out of the lake for the shallow areas to start freezing.

We've got some cold nights coming up, with days dancing around the freezing point and spots of sun. I'm not really a big weather junkie but if you look at the NOAA outlook:

we see trends of above-average temps and average precip. This, to me, would indicate a poor ice season overall this year. I wouldn't anticipate safe ice for another ~3 weeks at least.
Old 12-25-2015, 08:15 AM   #26
PaugusBayFireFighter

Default Be careful what you wish for

I've been around long enough to be skeptical about snow forecasts more than 24 hours out, but here's the forecast for Tuesday in Laconia. Same deal in Mass.
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaugusBayFireFighter For This Useful Post:
pondguy (12-25-2015), trfour (12-25-2015)
Old 12-25-2015, 03:22 PM   #27
secondcurve

Quote:
I've been around long enough to be skeptical about snow forecasts more than 24 hours out, but here's the forecast for Tuesday in Laconia. Same deal in Mass.
Wow. Talk about a turnaround. Let's hope it happens. The businesses who depend on cold weather and snow are being hurt badly.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 03:47 PM   #28
Merrymeeting

Water temp, 43 today
Old 12-25-2015, 04:57 PM   #29
trfour

Post Could It Be...

Snow??

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/weathe...cid=spartanntp
Attached Images

Old 12-29-2015, 11:03 AM   #30
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts

Quote:

I like yours better!!

Merry Christmas!

Dan
Here is that web site Dan:

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/lac...orecast/334467
Old 12-30-2015, 11:01 AM   #31
sum-r breeze

Default How much?

So after it is all said and done, how much snow did we get around the Laconia / Gilford area of the lake with the storm on 12/29?

The Breeze
Wave 'cuz I'll be wavin' back
sum-r breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 11:31 AM   #32
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Alton Bay above Sandy Point

I live just up from the lake and just outside Sandy Point, and we got 4-5 inches of snow, measured as the storm was winding down. We were getting freezing rain and sleet at the time, so there may have been some settling.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:49 AM   #33
ishoot308

Default Same

I would say the same 4"-5" in Gilford....
Old 12-30-2015, 01:43 PM   #34
trfour

Default El Niņo

... http://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/top...cid=spartanntp

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...mepage%2Fstory

FLL blames it all on D Trump...

Last edited by trfour; 12-30-2015 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Add link
Old 12-30-2015, 03:07 PM   #35
PaugusBayFireFighter

Christmas Island ~5" then some sleet/freezing rain. Most of what fell will be gone by New Years. Lake is still 40 degrees.
Only 80 days till spring!
Old 01-02-2016, 08:21 PM   #36
chipj29

Quote:
Christmas Island ~5" then some sleet/freezing rain. Most of what fell will be gone by New Years. Lake is still 40 degrees.
Only 80 days till spring!
Most of what fell here in Bow (30 miles south of you) is pretty much bullet proof. I took a walk this afternoon, and barely broke through the surface. There was a LOT of moisture in that 4" of snow.