Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2021, 01:34 PM   #1
Charlie R S taten Island

Thumbs up center harbor in the 50s and 60s

I vacationed every year the first 2 weeks of august from 1955 to 1967 on lake shore drive at a place called "Gibbsons sleepy hollow cabins" . they were owned by john and clara (belle) Gibbson. Their niece and her family, who were from boston would come up for the summer to help maintain the property. their names were Arthur and Dotty and their 2 children Dorothy and jimmy. I also remember a local girl named kathy who was good friends with dorothy and would be there almost every day. The gibbsons sold the cabins to walter and marge gardner in the mid 60s, and the cabins were converted into condos in the 70s (and still are there today). I know this was a very long time ago, but was wondering if there is still anyone around who remembers any of this.
Charlie R S taten Island is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charlie R S taten Island For This Useful Post:
Pineedles (08-02-2021), trfour (07-16-2021)
Old 07-13-2021, 01:38 PM   #2
phoenix

I think we stayed there in 1981 but it was a rental but maybe we stayed close by
Old 07-15-2021, 06:13 AM   #3
twentworth12

That’s my Uncle Walt and Aunt Marjorie! Marjorie passed many years ago, and sadly Walt just passed away a few months ago. In addition to owning Sleepy Hollow, they owned the house next door. I drove by it recently and it looks like someone tore it down and built a new house in its spot.

I spent most of my summers growing up at Sleepy Hollow.
twentworth12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to twentworth12 For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (07-26-2021), Charlie R S taten Island (07-18-2021), trfour (07-16-2021), VitaBene (11-08-2023)
Old 07-16-2021, 07:26 AM   #4
Charlie R S taten Island

Default center harbor in the 50s and 60s

Thank you twentworth for responding! I remember your uncle Walter and aunt Marjorie well. I remember their children Pam, Walt jr. and i believe a younger one also. My father and i helped Walter move items from their home in Montpilier, vt. to center harbor when they first purchased sleepy hollow. I think Waler worked for I B M. I remember he would tow us water skiing with his boat which had a very powerful 28 h.p. Evinrude motor. I know the sleepy hollow cabins were converted into condos and about 5 years ago my wife and i rented one for a week and stayed there. It brought back some great memories! We are actually going up again next month, but were staying by weirs beach. Thanks again!! I do have a few old pictures of "Sleepy Hollow Cabins" from the 60s, but they may be a few years before Walter purchased them. Would be happy to make some copies and send them to you if you would be interested.
The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie R S taten Island For This Useful Post:
trfour (07-16-2021)
Old 07-19-2021, 05:49 PM   #5
phoenix

I remember the great bakery around corner and a pharmacy that had a fax machine. I had faxes sent many times but you had to call them first
Charlie R S taten Island (07-21-2021), Pineedles (08-02-2021)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2021, 10:25 AM   #6
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Default Next door?

Call them crazy!!!
In the Summer of 1966 my parents let my brother, me and my best friend (16-17 yo. all) rent an apartment in Moultonborough. Our family was formerly a summer-season vacationer (Lane's End), but that ended. We knew the contractor who built the original Ossipee shopping plaza out on (the old) Route 16- so that's where we worked in '66.

Anyway- I know that people STILL don't know where the LINE is between C.H and M.- by this reasoning I have always thought of them as one!

Anyway (again), the apartment building was not yet finished, so we lived rent free, as in our "off work time" we did carpentry, painting and landscaping. It was Johnny Dabillis (contractor from Billerica, Ma.) who cut us all the slack for the rent and hired us. We also worked on the garage that, I think, belongs to the Burns'.
The apartment building is still there (so are the old Ossipee shopping Center and garage)- and looking good. It's (apartment building) between the Lacy's building and the former paint store that is now some kind of health resource building(?).

Anyway (#3), my brother owned a (painted with a brush) 1959 MGA, and wouldn't let me drive it- we shopped at Ellen's Store (?)/Post Office (?) and played the "Revolver" album at least 1000 times!

I hope my attachment worked- It's the P.O. receipt from that adventure!

Just some small history of the area.
Attached Images

JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JEEPONLY For This Useful Post:
Charlie R S taten Island (08-25-2021), VitaBene (11-08-2023)
Old 07-21-2021, 03:33 AM   #7
Charlie R S taten Island

Default center harbor in the 50s and 60s

thank you jeeponly for your reply.
Old 07-23-2021, 10:10 AM   #8
skprbob

Default center harbor memory

In 1962, I started off as a "July Boy" camper at Camp Idlewild, eventually spending 14 summers there. Around now is when mid-season, July boys, would leave and August boys would arrive. In my case, my parents would combine picking me up, then going on a family vacation. They had a favorite place in Center Harbor called the White Diamond Inn which had very comfortable beds and excellent food. We would stay a couple of days there, then move on to a week in Fairlee, VT before heading home to Long Island (NY). Several summers later, now a counsellor at Idlewild, I went for dinner at the White Diamond, only to discover that the restaurant was closed and the motel was now condos. Oh well! At least there are still some good restaurants. Anyone else remember the White Diamond?
skprbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to skprbob For This Useful Post:
Charlie R S taten Island (07-24-2021), GregW11 (07-24-2021), Pine Island Guy (07-31-2021), Pineedles (08-02-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 05:41 PM   #9
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skprbob View Post
In 1962, I started off as a "July Boy" camper at Camp Idlewild, eventually spending 14 summers there. Around now is when mid-season, July boys, would leave and August boys would arrive. In my case, my parents would combine picking me up, then going on a family vacation. They had a favorite place in Center Harbor called the White Diamond Inn which had very comfortable beds and excellent food. We would stay a couple of days there, then move on to a week in Fairlee, VT before heading home to Long Island (NY). Several summers later, now a counsellor at Idlewild, I went for dinner at the White Diamond, only to discover that the restaurant was closed and the motel was now condos. Oh well! At least there are still some good restaurants. Anyone else remember the White Diamond?
In the 1962 era, Camp Idlewild used to canoe into Lanes End and camp-out in the surrounding woods. They would let us (summer kids) camp with them, which was always so much fun!! Tie food up in the trees (bears), sing around the campfire and enjoy the rainy nights when they happened!
Two regular (for a few years) counselors were guys that were fun people- "Chief" and Ford Eastman.
Anyone remember them?
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JEEPONLY For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2021, 06:36 AM   #10
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,617 Times in 560 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skprbob View Post
Remember it well. Owned by Mark Packard and our favorite restaurant back in the day
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
Charlie R S taten Island (07-28-2021), trfour (07-24-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 09:55 AM   #11
duocat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Remember it well. Owned by Mark Packard and our favorite restaurant back in the day
Worked at The White Diamond Inn for several years starting in 1971. More fun than working had any right to be.
duocat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to duocat For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2021, 11:29 AM   #12
Pineedles

The White Diamond was a place that he "adults" occasionally frequented when I was young staying at our cottage on Alpine Park. I think they had to bring their own booze. The great bakery was Anderson Bakery with the the general convenience store Robbins was next door then the Center Harbor Post Office. I worked at Robbins for one summer, commuting from the cottage to the Mount's Crib, where nobody bothered my 14' Sear's aluminum boat while I was at work. I even remember our PO Box number was 25 and the combination was between F and G, between A and B, and the letter I. We carried the same PO # with us to the new PO next to the Fire station up until only a couple of years ago, nothing but junk mail, so we discontinued it. Great memories then and now, as I will complete 67 summer residence years on the lake this October.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
Bayview Girl (11-12-2023), Charlie R S taten Island (08-25-2021)
Old 08-13-2021, 11:14 PM   #13
mowtorman

Default Center Harbor

Lots going on 60s and 70s. Belknap college and true hippies. EM Heath in the building above the beach road. Robbins Store next to Anderson's Bakery, best Parker House rolls EVER. Nichols Store on the corner across from the library, large blocks of chocolate and clear delicious birch beer. Center Harbor Sports Shop in the realty/rubbing butts space...they would walk down from the sport shop to pump your gas. Dybros House of Gifts next to the church and the giant wrapped gift on a pole. The house was moved behind the current heaths for a long time. The supposed old PT boat that sat next to the Mount drydock under a tarp structure for about 10 years. The old see saws and the summer fire dept. Clam bake by the water. The White Diamond with magic fingers for 25 cents. Great place to stay and ski Loon or Waterville. Watch out for the red buoy it is there for a reason. One occasional town constable around. Always the same Creemee and gas station. Alvords Pharmacy. Jumping off the pilings on the end of the drydock while the mount pulled in to pick up passengers. Very large swells followed the Mount down the bay every time. Pulling into Center.Harbor to see the Mount drifting backwards before it hit a small boathouse after losing the rudder. The fourth of July parade and docks so busy you couldn't find a space. Super fun small town.
mowtorman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mowtorman For This Useful Post:
Bayview Girl (11-12-2023), BroadHopper (05-16-2022), Charlie R S taten Island (08-25-2021), jbolty (05-10-2022), Pineedles (08-21-2021)
Old 08-15-2021, 07:30 AM   #14
SAMIAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowtorman View Post
Lots going on 60s and 70s. Belknap college and true hippies. EM Heath in the building above the beach road. Robbins Store next to Anderson's Bakery, best Parker House rolls EVER. Nichols Store on the corner across from the library, large blocks of chocolate and clear delicious birch beer. Center Harbor Sports Shop in the realty/rubbing butts space...they would walk down from the sport shop to pump your gas. Dybros House of Gifts next to the church and the giant wrapped gift on a pole. The house was moved behind the current heaths for a long time. The supposed old PT boat that sat next to the Mount drydock under a tarp structure for about 10 years. The old see saws and the summer fire dept. Clam bake by the water. The White Diamond with magic fingers for 25 cents. Great place to stay and ski Loon or Waterville. Watch out for the red buoy it is there for a reason. One occasional town constable around. Always the same Creemee and gas station. Alvords Pharmacy. Jumping off the pilings on the end of the drydock while the mount pulled in to pick up passengers. Very large swells followed the Mount down the bay every time. Pulling into Center.Harbor to see the Mount drifting backwards before it hit a small boathouse after losing the rudder. The fourth of July parade and docks so busy you couldn't find a space. Super fun small town.
Wonderful memories....also Dave Chases service station next to the old Dari Maid. Dave used to donate a car to an old local named Pete Burnham that he used to dump pick (dump picking used to be allowed : ) Pete would supply rags to the service station. His old station wagon was so full of stuff that he could not see out of the rear or side windows, only the windshield.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
Bayview Girl (11-12-2023), Charlie R S taten Island (08-25-2021), jbolty (05-10-2022), VitaBene (11-08-2023)
Old 11-10-2023, 07:37 AM   #15
whalebackpoint'r

Smile

Quote:
Wonderful memories....also Dave Chases service station next to the old Dari Maid. Dave used to donate a car to an old local named Pete Burnham that he used to dump pick (dump picking used to be allowed : ) Pete would supply rags to the service station. His old station wagon was so full of stuff that he could not see out of the rear or side windows, only the windshield.
Pete would stop at the Hi There and Leila would give him a handout. His car was also known to be home to mice and rodents who could be seen running around inside.
whalebackpoint'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 11:44 AM   #16
Susie Cougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalebackpoint'r View Post

Pete would stop at the Hi There and Leila would give him a handout. His car was also known to be home to mice and rodents who could be seen running around inside.
I worked as a cook at the Hi There Cafe for several years.
Susie Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 09:41 AM   #17
SAMIAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalebackpoint'r View Post

Dave Chase and I had reason to stop at his house one day an antique cape as I remember on 113 in Sandwich. The house was much like his car.Junk pile about 4' high in every room so that there were just narrow paths to walk in.
He was a happy soul
Old 11-12-2023, 12:22 PM   #18
garysanfran

This thread makes me feel as old as I am.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 07:47 AM   #19
Cutting

Default Heath's Center Harbor

Quote:
So I just want to say that you never really experienced Center Harbor unless you were admonished as a child for running or making too much noise descending the ramp that led from the grocery store to the lower level in Heath's.
Cutting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cutting For This Useful Post:
ashcoveguy (06-17-2023), BroadHopper (05-16-2022), Charlie R S taten Island (08-25-2021), jbolty (05-10-2022), Nineacreguy (05-17-2022)
Old 08-22-2021, 08:15 AM   #20
phoenix

There are many camps/ cottages at the end of alpine road so must have been a summer camp all with red roofs and beautiful cut stones walls on the road . Anyone know what it was
Old 08-23-2021, 10:04 AM   #21
Descant

Thanked 1,492 Times in 970 Posts
Default Meet the Mount

I remember every (summer) morning the radio (WLNH?) had a remote broadcast from Center Harbor at 8:50 am called "Meet the Mount" to greet her at her first daily stop.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2022, 10:02 AM   #22
jbolty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutting View Post
So I just want to say that you never really experienced Center Harbor unless you were admonished as a child for running or making too much noise descending the ramp that led from the grocery store to the lower level in Heath's.
and don't forget Brooks barber shop above Heath's store.

The current site of red hill dairy started out as a real estate office. there was a bit of a scandal when a woman who worked there was found dead in her home under what seemed at the time to be suspicious circumstances. don't think anything ever came of it.

The building between red hill dairy and bean road was Quoddy Moccasins and then a laundromat for many years with a couple pin ball machines; the only entertainment in town.

Back then Canoe was Longwood Diner

and only real old timers will remember Beef & Bay restaurant which was about where Meredith village savings is now, or maybe the real estate office.
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 09:01 AM   #23
SAMIAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
and don't forget Brooks barber shop above Heath's store.

The current site of red hill dairy started out as a real estate office. there was a bit of a scandal when a woman who worked there was found dead in her home under what seemed at the time to be suspicious circumstances. don't think anything ever came of it.

The building between red hill dairy and bean road was Quoddy Moccasins and then a laundromat for many years with a couple pin ball machines; the only entertainment in town.

Back then Canoe was Longwood Diner

and only real old timers will remember Beef & Bay restaurant which was about where Meredith village savings is now, or maybe the real estate office.
Longwood Farms was my first restaurant.Bought from Dick Tower in 1972....Sold to Dick Flynn in 1978
Paul Costly owned th Beef and Bay....he's now in the entertainment business
Old 05-11-2022, 01:11 PM   #24
Susie Cougar

Quote:
Longwood Farms was my first restaurant.Bought from Dick Tower in 1972....Sold to Dick Flynn in 1978
I went to Longwood Farms before you owned it.

Paul Costly does not ring a bell. Was he the second owner?

I believe Eveline Contigiani was the first owner. She owned a catering company in Laconia and she did all the cooking at the new restaurant. It’s possible she had a partner that I was unaware of.
This was going to be quite the place for the town of Moultonborough. They brought experienced older women from Miami to train the waitresses to be able to work in a high scale restaurant.
It was divided into three sections. There was a snack bar where you go and get a cup of coffee or an ice cream; there was the main dining room and there was a lounge where there were drinks and entertainment.
Old 09-26-2023, 04:22 AM   #25
tis

Thanked 1,371 Times in 947 Posts

Quote:
Dick was Rick and Dave's dad, right? I went to school with them.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 06:00 AM   #26
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,088 Times in 782 Posts

Quote:
Guess I was one of those damn 'Hip-pies' as the old-timers called us. Belknap College was the Meteorology center of NE with Bill Hovey in charge. Many radio stations would broadcast Bill Hovey's forecast!

Most of the seasonal motels and cabins all the way to Kona Farm house students during the offseason. Many work in the summer in the area at local hospitality businesses.

Longwood Farms would grant 'meal tickets' for the school year, providing affordable delicious lunch and dinner.

Yes, Center Harbor was a super fun town in its days.
Old 05-16-2022, 09:13 AM   #27
Susie Cougar

I certainly never considered myself a hippie. I graduated in 1971 from Belknap College, what year did you graduate BROADHOPPER?
The Following User Says Thank You to Susie Cougar For This Useful Post:
BBS3 (08-08-2022)
Old 05-16-2022, 02:19 PM   #28
jbolty

My parents both worked at Belknap College. Dad was doing maintenance and construction and mom was a housekeeper.

this picture does not have much value but it's from July 4th parade, probably about 1966.
Attached Images

jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 09:07 AM   #29
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,088 Times in 782 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Cougar View Post
I certainly never considered myself a hippie. I graduated in 1971 from Belknap College, what year did you graduate BROADHOPPER?
Belknap College close before I can graduate. PSC took most of my credits. I attend PSC for one semester so NH College will accept all credits.

I was there from 1969 to 1972. I commute from Laconia. So I did not participate as a resident. Are you aware that there is a Facbook page 'Belknap College' as well as a website? https://www.belknapcollege.com/
Susie Cougar (05-17-2022)
Old 09-30-2023, 08:32 AM   #30
SAMIAM

Quote:
I certainly never considered myself a hippie. I graduated in 1971 from Belknap College, what year did you graduate
Hey Susie......not trying to stir up trouble but we did find several ladies names and phone numbers on the upstairs bedroom walls of the Coe House when we renovated in 1999
For those that did not know,it was a dorm for the College back in the day.
Hope you weren't involved in any nefarious activities back then.
Old 09-30-2023, 10:20 AM   #31
Susie Cougar

Talking

Quote:
Quote:
I certainly never considered myself a hippie. I graduated in 1971 from Belknap College, what year did you graduate
Hey Susie......not trying to stir up trouble but we did find several ladies names and phone numbers on the upstairs bedroom walls of the Coe House when we renovated in 1999
For those that did not know,it was a dorm for the College back in the day.
Hope you weren't involved in any nefarious activities back then.
I’m not sure what phone numbers you found, but when I was in the dorm, all we had was one payphone for everyone to use. Things were pretty quiet when I was there.( There were always stories going around, but not always true.)
The last couple of years that they were open, if you had the money, you could get into the college. Things went downhill pretty quickly and probably why most people think about Belknap College and hippies.
I lived at the White Diamond Motel and also, if anyone remembers, the Black Diamond which was across the street. Lakeshore Drive became a pretty wild and crazy place in the 70s. LSD, what is a fitting nickname for this road. I am sure many landlords were pretty disgusted after their students moved out.
Old 09-25-2023, 09:23 PM   #32
Woburnite

Default John and Clara Gibson

Hello Charles, I came across your post re: John and Clara Gibbson, owners of Sleepy Hollow cabins in Center Harbor back in the 50's and 60's. Their neice, Dotty and her husband Arthur were my grandparents. I mentioned your post to their daughter, my Aunt Dottie, and she had fond memories of you and your family and sends her regards. Thank you for keeping the memory of John and Clara (our "Aunt Belle") alive.
Woburnite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Woburnite For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (10-14-2023)
Old 11-08-2023, 10:41 AM   #33
The Real BigGuy

Great post Mowtorman

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Real BigGuy For This Useful Post:
mowtorman (11-08-2023)
Old 11-08-2023, 12:01 PM   #34
John Mercier

I don't remember if my grandmother named it Marie's, Marie's Diner, or Marie's Restaurant - too young to care I guess.

I only remember all the fawning over the Fonda's and the expansion of the dining room addition onto the original.
I was told that it originally was just a dairy bar with no seating inside... but I always remember the booths.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 05:07 PM   #35
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Great thread!! Lots of amazing memories!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
Barney Bear (11-08-2023)
Old 11-12-2023, 10:39 PM   #36
LoveLakeLife

Might as well start a few: Gilford, Weirs Beach, etc.! Could be fun and nostalgic.

LoveLakeLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 10:55 AM   #37
Janet

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLakeLife View Post
Might as well start a few: Gilford, Weirs Beach, etc.! Could be fun and nostalgic.

How about Meredith in the 50s and 60s thread. Remembering things like Samaha's, the Key Theater, Prescott Pharmacy, True's Gift Shop, Interlakes Dairy Bar, etc.
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 12:45 PM   #38
Descant

Thanked 1,492 Times in 970 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
How about Meredith in the 50s and 60s thread. Remembering things like Samaha's, the Key Theater, Prescott Pharmacy, True's Gift Shop, Interlakes Dairy Bar, etc.
So start it, Janet, but don't steal this one. Keep it on Center Harbor.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 01:11 PM   #39
Janet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Will do Descant. Sorry
Old 11-13-2023, 01:23 PM   #40
Janet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Just posted a new thread for Meredith.
The Following User Says Thank You to Janet For This Useful Post:
Descant (11-13-2023)