Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Automotive
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2023, 09:54 AM   #1
bigdog

Default Car A/C only working on drivers side ?

My 2020 Hyundai Santa Fe A/C is only blowing cool air on drivers side.
Car is under warranty and going into Irwin Hyundai this week.

No clue on what is going on here, thoughts ?
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 10:04 AM   #2
John Mercier

Might just need a coolant recharge.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 10:08 AM   #3
bigdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
Might just need a coolant recharge.
Doing some on-lne research, I stumbled upon this:

"Blend door actuators are the most common reason for the car air conditioning to blow cold air on one side and hot air on the other. They can be diagnosed with an advanced scan tool. The scan tool can tell if the blend door actuator should be in a different position than commanded. If it does not move with the adjustments and commands, there is a problem with the blend door actuator and it will need to be replaced. If the actuator is clicking, this is another sign it will probably need to be replaced."

Modern electronics will drive you nuts ! Will communicate to Irwin techs.
Old 05-28-2023, 10:16 AM   #4
John Mercier

They probably know...
They will check the charge. Note that it is good, and then check the ''blend''.

In our old version of vehicles, we used to do this with the little vents that we open and closed in front of us, and by turning a dial to go from the defroster at the top of the dashboard to the vents that went to our feet.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 06:59 PM   #5
bigdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
Doing some on-lne research, I stumbled upon this:

"Blend door actuators are the most common reason for the car air conditioning to blow cold air on one side and hot air on the other. They can be diagnosed with an advanced scan tool. The scan tool can tell if the blend door actuator should be in a different position than commanded. If it does not move with the adjustments and commands, there is a problem with the blend door actuator and it will need to be replaced. If the actuator is clicking, this is another sign it will probably need to be replaced."

Modern electronics will drive you nuts ! Will communicate to Irwin techs.
Went to Irwin for appt.... Bingo, just as I figured, they said the issue was the '"Blend door actuator' ! None in stock, but ordered from CT warehouse, should be here in 4-5 days.... Problem solved ! Electronics, you gotta love them.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2023, 07:19 PM   #6
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Went to Irwin for appt.... Bingo, just as I figured, they said the issue was the '"Blend door actuator' ! None in stock, but ordered from CT warehouse, should be here in 4-5 days.... Problem solved ! Electronics, you gotta love them.
Electronics are great when they're all working.

Be glad you didn't need a "chip". The only chips you can find these days are the ones made with potatoes.
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 08:51 AM   #7
AC2717

most definitly a blend door issue with the aix box, they often get stuck (although more and more these days on all models) sometimes the gaskets heat up so bad between blasting heat and the hot cars that they become like glue and stick the doors shut or jam them - have these this often, and twice on two of my cars - over the years.

if under warrenty that is great - the blend box is under the dash and most times the dash board has to be competely removed to replace it. I found a shop up in Lebanon NH that has done so many of these they have their own short cuts that really cuts down on the labor in replacing these - for example I had an older jeep Grand Cherokee - they were hald the cost of anyone else in the labor area, because they knew how to dissamble the dash in a way as to not having to drop it piece by piece and every section. Was about a $1200 job instead of over $2400 as the book shows in hours for the repair
Old 05-31-2023, 01:49 PM   #8
TheProfessor

Quote:
No clue on what is going on here, thoughts ?
There are certain brands of vehicles that I ignore/refuse to consider - when purchasing new and sometimes used.

Scotty Kilmer has quite a few videos about the good and not so good cars and pickup trucks.

This is just a radom utube video.

LINK
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheProfessor For This Useful Post:
ApS (06-01-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 08:18 PM   #9
ApS

Thumbs up Recommended!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
There are certain brands of vehicles that I ignore/refuse to consider - when purchasing new and sometimes used.

Scotty Kilmer has quite a few videos about the good and not so good cars and pickup trucks.

This is just a radom utube video.

LINK
You'll recognize Scotty by his errant habit of waving his hands and arms around while he's talking. HOWEVER, he's a skilled mechanic, and his many videos are right on target! Plug in your car problem into Google and add "Scotty".

Excellent answers for every car owner...
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 08:56 AM   #10
bigdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
most definitly a blend door issue with the aix box, they often get stuck (although more and more these days on all models) sometimes the gaskets heat up so bad between blasting heat and the hot cars that they become like glue and stick the doors shut or jam them - have these this often, and twice on two of my cars - over the years.

if under warrenty that is great - the blend box is under the dash and most times the dash board has to be competely removed to replace it. I found a shop up in Lebanon NH that has done so many of these they have their own short cuts that really cuts down on the labor in replacing these - for example I had an older jeep Grand Cherokee - they were hald the cost of anyone else in the labor area, because they knew how to dissamble the dash in a way as to not having to drop it piece by piece and every section. Was about a $1200 job instead of over $2400 as the book shows in hours for the repair

The "Blend door actuator was the issue, and replaced by Irwin at 'no charge', as car is still under warranty. They dd have to remove the dashboard, and took about 2 hours. They did an excellent job, kudos to Irwin Hyundai !