Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2023, 03:39 PM   #1
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts
Default Wolfeboro Police Chief

The Wolfeboro Police Chief is on paid leave pending an "Inquiry".

Very little information given in the article.

Chief Rondeau is a 23-year veteran of the Wolfeboro Police Department holding many positions along the way to becoming chief, including patrolman, patrol and investigations sergeant, lieutenant and captain, according to the department’s website.

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...0c23f565f.html
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 06:06 AM   #2
TiltonBB

Default Police Chief Troubles

I didn't think of it until I read this article but the Wolfeboro Police Chief is the third area Police Chief to have had problems in recent years.

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...25e8ef859.html
Old 04-13-2023, 09:11 AM   #3
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
I didn't think of it until I read this article but the Wolfeboro Police Chief is the third area Police Chief to have had problems in recent years.

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...25e8ef859.html
You are correct. Too much time on one’s hands turns into the devil’s playground. One could say the area police department are over staffed with administrators and not enough active police officers

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
Jeanzb1 (04-13-2023), Waterbaby (09-06-2023)
Old 04-13-2023, 09:28 AM   #4
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
You are correct. Too much time on one’s hands turns into the devil’s playground. One could say the area police department are over staffed with administrators and not enough active police officers

Just like our schools. Too many chiefs, not enough indians. Every government agency seems to be adopting this model. Higher education too.
Major is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
ApS (04-14-2023), CTYankee (04-19-2023), jbolty (04-13-2023), Jeanzb1 (04-13-2023), pondguy (04-13-2023), SAB1 (04-14-2023), Sue Doe-Nym (04-13-2023), tis (04-13-2023), Waterbaby (09-06-2023)
Old 04-13-2023, 12:42 PM   #5
Mr. V

It will be "interesting" to learn what he is accused of doing.

Could be light weight, could be serious.

And the beat goes on.
Jeanzb1 (04-13-2023)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2023, 08:46 PM   #6
Billy Bob

In much of other parts of the country we rely on county sheriffs departments rather then all these small town police forces. When you look at the money wasted in all the small towns forming the structure needed for a 5 or 20 man force when a department covering a larger area would be much more effective you will see what is being lost. Larger force gets you better training and less duplication of officers. The local control is bs and as demonstrated turns into corruption and other issues.
Billy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Billy Bob For This Useful Post:
MRD (04-14-2023)
Old 04-14-2023, 06:30 AM   #7
TiltonBB

I would respectfully disagree.

The local police officers attend the same academies that regional police forces attend. I know the Massachusetts State Police Academy routinely has training classes made up entirely of local police officers. Everything about those classes and what is taught is the same except issues that are specific to the State Police.

In the smaller towns a local police force becomes familiar with the local problems. They know the neighborhoods and the residents. When a resident has a need for polices services in situations like a home burglary or traffic accident, it is comforting to them to see a familiar face show up to assist them.

Often, the members of the police department have grown up in the towns they protect and have an even greater desire to serve their hometown than a new resident would. Many towns give residents preference or require new appointments to the police department to become residents if they do not already live in the community.

That familiarity is one thing that even the big cities are trying to encourage so that people feel comfortable talking to the police about their issues. Some cities have increased walking beats to create more interaction with the public. It helps communication and promotes the "If you see something, say something" efforts to reduce crime.

In these days of "Defund the police" the personal relationships with citizens will help to rebuild the respect for police and the rule of law that seems to be diminishing.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
ApS (04-16-2023), BroadHopper (04-16-2023), codeman671 (04-14-2023), CTYankee (04-19-2023), Dad207 (04-14-2023), FlyingScot (04-14-2023), KennyFromBoston (04-15-2023), upthesaukee (04-14-2023), winni48 (04-17-2023)
Old 04-14-2023, 06:36 AM   #8
FlyingScot

Quote:
I would respectfully disagree.

In the smaller towns a local police force becomes familiar with the local problems. They know the neighborhoods and the residents. Often, the members of the police department have grown up in the towns they protect and have an even greater desire to serve their hometown than a new resident would. Many towns give residents preference or require new appointments to the police department to become residents if they do not already live in the community.

That familiarity is one thing that even the big cities are trying to encourage so that people feel comfortable talking to the police about their issues. Some cities have increased walking beats to create more interaction with the public. It helps communication and promotes the "If you see something, say something" efforts to reduce crime.

In these days of "defund the police" the personal relationships with citizens will help to rebuild the respect for police and the rule of law that seems to be diminishing.
I agree. We may need to change how some police departments are run and how officers are trained, and we may need to fire corrupt and/or abusive officers more quickly, but we all benefit from a good local police force
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 06:57 AM   #9
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I don't know if this is corruption. it might just be town politics, he might have offended someone. I heard from what I consider a pretty reliable source, that he submitted his resignation after being put on leave. Not sure if this is correct though so I post it with reluctance. The chief is very much a military man, goes by the book. I can't imagine him doing anything shady. But I guess you never know.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 07:20 AM   #10
Billy Bob

First, there is NO defund the police movement. That’s fake news.

I,m not suggesting getting rid of the local regular officer that is assigned to specific neighborhoods . The problem is the duplicate management groups needed when all these small towns create a police force. We probably have a dozen higher paid police chiefs around the lake followed by all the duplicate buildings , staffs, etc. Put hem all under one chief and staff and use the savings to put more actual feet on the ground
Waterbaby (09-06-2023)
Old 04-14-2023, 08:04 AM   #11
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post

I,m not suggesting getting rid of the local regular officer that is assigned to specific neighborhoods . The problem is the duplicate management groups needed when all these small towns create a police force. We probably have a dozen higher paid police chiefs around the lake followed by all the duplicate buildings , staffs, etc. Put hem all under one chief and staff and use the savings to put more actual feet on the ground
It does seem like we have a lot of duplicate services but we do throw a lot of money around: 7 million here, 2 million there, all for pleasure things, like recreation, not necessities.
Old 04-14-2023, 10:38 AM   #12
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

In actual practice, our small towns have access to much of the expertise and equipment that the cities have. There is a lot of sharing and cross training in the PD's just as there is in fire/rescue mutual aid. I like that my neighbor can go to the local PD, where s/he is known, to get a concealed carry permit, as opposed to going three towns away to the county seat where s/he is not known. I can recount several instances where I have received some personal kindness from a police officer in several towns around the state. This all comes from local leaders who foster community policing. And the administrators (chiefs) take their turns on nights and weekends, too. It's not all a M-F desk job.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
TiltonBB (04-14-2023)
Old 04-14-2023, 11:06 AM   #13
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
It does seem like we have a lot of duplicate services but we do throw a lot of money around: 7 million here, 2 million there, all for pleasure things, like recreation, not necessities.
We've promoted the recreational aspects of our area for decades.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 11:44 AM   #14
Major

Default Police Reform

Quote:
I guess technically, you are correct. There is presently no "defund the police" movement. (At least not one that anyone would put there name to.)
There most certainly was a defund police movement, especially in the summer of 2020. Many political leaders talked about defunding the police in favor of alternate approaches. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OWiRuJgtVE

However, as we all know, the label of defund the police attained an undesirable stigma. Now those who agree with the concept but not the name call it police reform. Kamala would call it police reimagining. Same thing, different name.
Old 04-14-2023, 12:18 PM   #15
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
I guess technically, you are correct. There is presently no "defund the police" movement. (At least not one that anyone would put there name to.)
There most certainly was a defund police movement, especially in the summer of 2020. Many political leaders talked about defunding the police in favor of alternate approaches. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OWiRuJgtVE

However, as we all know, the label of defund the police attained an undesirable stigma. Now those who agree with the concept but not the name call it police reform. Kamala would call it police reimagining. Same thing, different name.
I believe that he was suggesting that in NH, we fund our police with local property taxes... and no movement amongst most of the NH municipalities existed at any time to ''defund the police'' - so for us, it was just a political tag line... not reality.
I think Croydon or Grafton may have gone so far as to defund their PD (usually just a chief in small NH towns) - but that would be due to the Free State Project, not a general attitude.
The Following User Says Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (04-16-2023)
Old 04-14-2023, 12:20 PM   #16
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
I believe that he was suggesting that in NH, we fund our police with local property taxes... and no movement amongst most of the NH municipalities existed at any time to ''defund the police'' - so for us, it was just a political tag line... not reality.
I agree with that.
Old 04-14-2023, 12:31 PM   #17
tis

Quote:
We've promoted the recreational aspects of our area for decades.
I know that but not this much!
Old 04-14-2023, 01:30 PM   #18
John Mercier

Escalation that happens over the years.
Old 04-14-2023, 02:02 PM   #19
gokart-mozart

Default Wolfeboro PD

The Police Commission and the Selectmen both had nonpublic meetings Wednesday and Thursday to deal with personnel matters.

It would be nice if they would issue a statement, even if it's only "nothing to disclose due to confidentiality, etc, etc"
gokart-mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 02:08 PM   #20
Major

Quote:
Exactly. I used this example in a prior post to emphasize the growth of government. When I was a student at Memorial Middle School (1977-1979), each grade had approximately twelve teachers (math, science, English and social studies), so 36 total. The "administration" consisted of the following:
  • 1 Principal
  • 1 Vice Principal
  • 2 Guidance Counselors
  • 2 Language Teachers
  • 1 Secretary
  • 1 Physical Education Teacher
  • 1 Music Teacher
  • 1 Art Teacher
  • 1 School Nurse
  • 1 Librarian

That's it. The "administration" consisted of 12 people. Three to one teachers to administrators.

Today, the Laconia Middle School has over 40 people to serve the "administration" function. As far as I could tell, there are more support staff than actual classroom teachers. I realize that kids are probably more messed up than when I was a kid. Believe me, we had our problems back in the day. Kids were expected to figure things out on their own. One noticable difference is that we didn't have kids on meds like we do now, though.

Escalation has happened. Especially with government. Police and fire departments seem to have a lot of "administration" too. Controlling spending involves harnessing the creep.
The Following User Says Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
CTYankee (04-19-2023)
Old 04-14-2023, 04:42 PM   #21
TiltonBB

Growing up through the 60's our grade 1 through 6 classes had 28 to 32 students and one teacher, no aide. I remember it as being organized and controlled, a good atmosphere to learn in.

Are the kids that much more difficult to control now? Is it mostly the kids that come from homes showing no respect for their teachers?
Old 04-14-2023, 05:25 PM   #22
Descant

Quote:
Growing up through the 60's our grade 1 through 6 classes had 28 to 32 students and one teacher, no aide. I remember it as being organized and controlled, a good atmosphere to learn in.

Are the kids that much more difficult to control now? Is it mostly the kids that come from homes showing no respect for their teachers?
I think we have a broader spectrum of students now due to mainstreaming. Kids from the LSS are now in the regular classrooms, for example. So, extra personnel with specialized expertise. They're needed, but they really aren't listed as "teachers". In addition to regular vacations, teachers have more options for (personal) time off. Solution? We hire more substitutes. I have a friend who retired and was immediately hired back as a full time substitute. I have another friend at a private school who told me that they don't use substitutes -- they "cover for each other" when somebody has to take time off. I expect there is little abuse of personal time off in that situation.
Old 04-14-2023, 08:40 PM   #23
John Mercier

I meant escalation in a differing sense.
If you look at the difference between Meredith of the late 70s and Laconia... you get a sense of each municipalities focus to bring in business and customers.

It is always changing... so it creates escalation of the new ''wow''.

For schools it is much different in the educational format. MMS and Holy Trinity were feeders to LHS. But the predominate scholar competition was the Math teams.

Much easier to focus on Girard and Algebra I Honors, pick out the few stars and let us do our thing than in the current competition that measures education across the entire student body.
Old 04-15-2023, 05:00 AM   #24
Garcia

Quote:
Isn’t this true in all areas rather than just limited to government? Camps have grown into mansions, cars and trucks are bigger and more powerful, boats are bigger, etc. Since this is how we as a people live our personal lives it makes sense that this mentality spills over into how businesses and government institutions are funded and structured.

Last edited by Garcia; 04-15-2023 at 05:01 AM. Reason: Punctuation
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 06:22 AM   #25
Major

I had Mr. Girard for Algebra I. He was an excellent teacher.

Maybe it’s more competitive now. More students go to college.

Under your definition, there is an escalation happening in Lakeport. We can only hope it’s as successful as Meredith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2023, 02:35 PM   #26
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
Isn’t this true in all areas rather than just limited to government? Camps have grown into mansions, cars and trucks are bigger and more powerful, boats are bigger, etc. Since this is how we as a people live our personal lives it makes sense that this mentality spills over into how businesses and government institutions are funded and structured.
The mentality switches over time.
For a PD or FD, it may be the argument between resident population and seasonal population... and wholly dependent on whether qualified seasonal labor can be acquired at a competitive rate.

Our promotion of recreation is the general driver of the disparity; at least for this area.
Old 04-15-2023, 03:00 PM   #27
John Mercier

Quote:
I had Mr. Girard for Algebra I. He was an excellent teacher.

Maybe it’s more competitive now. More students go to college.

Under your definition, there is an escalation happening in Lakeport. We can only hope it’s as successful as Meredith.

I don't think it is more competitive. I think how we measure ourselves has changed.

During our time, the only standardized test that I can think of taking was a California Achievement Test at Pleasant Street in the fifth grade. The two teachers I had in the fifth grade could easily compare my work and knowledge against the other students in my class, but not so much against those from the other district schools and Holy Trinity. That type of comparison wouldn't really be made until we entered LHS. But even then comparing us to Gilford, Interlakes, Belmont, or Winnisquam was really just comparing the PSAT/SAT scores of just a small subset of students in each class to each other for one moment in time. The Math teams, though only one subject, was a means to do this several times throughout a year.

Our current system, though still a political football, allows much more comparison across a broader population than when we were young.

So school systems can't rely on getting the greatest percentage of pupils just across a low bar of getting a D- in enough courses to graduate; and they can't focus on the few high achievers that score well on the PSAT/SAT.
They have to expend a great deal of effort lifting the lowest achievers up - and by up, I don't mean just enough to graduate. You can graduate with very low competency test scores. But those competency test scores, not the graduation rate are now the focus.
Old 04-15-2023, 05:48 PM   #28
barefootbay

This thread certainly went off the rails !
barefootbay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to barefootbay For This Useful Post:
Reilly (04-16-2023), tis (04-16-2023), upthesaukee (04-16-2023), Waterbaby (09-06-2023)
Old 04-15-2023, 08:41 PM   #29
John Mercier

Not really.
The topic was about the Wolfeboro Chief.
A question arose, because facts are missing, as to why he is under investigation?

Until more facts are revealed... it is a situation that seems to have played out in several of the municipalities surrounding the lakes... and we venture opinions as to why.

The concept of a department head lacking oversight; a type of government largesse.

The situation being around the lake, that many municipalities have PDs that are at times overstaffed due to population ratios and other times understaffed due to seasonal population surges caused by recreation. Overstaffing thus creating free time, and free time allowing for the probability... if not used wisely... to entertain mischief.

Comparison to another facet of government, public schools, was entertained; but the student population is pretty well known and static... so not a great comparable. The expansion of school administration being subject to another force... not population fluctuation. My theory being a change in performance measuring dynamics.
Old 04-16-2023, 02:24 AM   #30
SAB1

Quote:

That was a different era when parents taught you right from wrong. When you wronged the teacher or vice principal straightened you out and mom and dad didn’t come to to your rescue. You had deal with mom and dad when you got home after the school had their turn. But then and again we spoke to cops with no sir and yes sir…..not with f-bombs.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SAB1 For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (04-16-2023), TiltonBB (04-16-2023), winni48 (04-17-2023)
Old 04-16-2023, 09:39 AM   #31
Major

John raises a lot of good points. However, I think the issue about the chief in Wolfeboro comes down to our trust in local government and trust in the media reporting instances of corruption and bad dealing by our government officials.

Take for example the former chief of police in Gilford. He was widely celebrated, not for being a great cop, but for his sexual orientation. Articles upon articles in the LDS lauded him on this aspect of his life. However, when he was placed on leave and ultimately dismissed, hardly an article has been written. The LDS was too invested in its prior narrative, so it has chosen to give the matter a good leaving alone.

There are other instances of bad reporting - we only heard one side of the Gunstock issue. There is another side that is worthy of discussion.

As taxpayers, we have the right to be informed when our government officials behave badly or spend our money unwisely. Of course, we have to balance our rights against the rights of the individual being charged. However, it seems like our rights as taxpayers depend on whether there is a political aspect to the malfeasance.

As citizens, we have the right to a fair and unbiased reporting of these matters. In this case, we can't have that level of confidence since we have been burned in the past.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
ApS (04-16-2023), TiltonBB (04-16-2023)
Old 04-16-2023, 12:23 PM   #32
John Mercier

The Gilford Chief, I believe was placed on admin leave - though sealed due to investigation - I seem to remember it was around the happens at WAM; and he was never charged. His resignation may have simply been that he felt he could no longer command the respect of the community, and his leaving would be in the best interests of all.

The Gunstock issue would require the opening of the legal documents.
Silber and Sylvia put a squash to that. O'Hara pursued; but something seems to led him astray - as they have not currently been released.
Whatever they and their supports intended to cover up may never be known.

LDS probably would not have standing to RTK of sealed documents, but you could easily press your local representatives to open those documents to public scrutiny. So more our fault than LDS.
Old 04-16-2023, 12:33 PM   #33
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
That was a different era when parents taught you right from wrong. When you wronged the teacher or vice principal straightened you out and mom and dad didn’t come to to your rescue. You had deal with mom and dad when you got home after the school had their turn. But then and again we spoke to cops with no sir and yes sir…..not with f-bombs.
Those were days when authority was not questioned... it resulted in the malfeseance that we now witness daily in the news.
It took awhile for us to ''awaken'' but we have gotten there.
Old 04-16-2023, 12:46 PM   #34
FlyingScot

Quote:
The Gunstock issue would require the opening of the legal documents.
Silber and Sylvia put a squash to that. O'Hara pursued; but something seems to led him astray - as they have not currently been released.
Whatever they and their supports intended to cover up may never be known.
Yes--Silber and Sylvia stopped the release of information.

This enables their supporters, such as Major, to continue alluding to some sinister plot from others, when the misbehavior was all theirs
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
Reilly (04-17-2023)
Old 04-16-2023, 01:57 PM   #35
John Mercier

Silber and Sylvia have been removed.

So the question of a ''sinister'' plot still remains with the current legislators.
Why not acquire the information and release it publicly.

I called on all three of representatives to do so... and actually supported O'Hara largely based on his intent to do so.
Old 04-16-2023, 02:47 PM   #36
camp guy

First off, let me say that I am not a police officer, nor any type of public official, but, in my opinion, until there is some definitive information relating to the situation involving the Wolfeboro Police Chief, we, the uninformed public, would do everyone a favor and stay out of it. Thank you.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to camp guy For This Useful Post:
Charlie T (04-16-2023), Reilly (04-17-2023), secondcurve (04-16-2023), upthesaukee (04-16-2023)
Old 04-16-2023, 04:10 PM   #37
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Yes--Silber and Sylvia stopped the release of information.

This enables their supporters, such as Major, to continue alluding to some sinister plot from others, when the misbehavior was all theirs
With all due respect, have you spoken to Silber or Sylvia about it? I have. There are two sides to the story. One side has been reported. The other side has not.

Old 04-16-2023, 04:46 PM   #38
FlyingScot

Quote:
With all due respect, have you spoken to Silber or Sylvia about it? I have. There are two sides to the story. One side has been reported. The other side has not.

I look forward to your report...

(But of course I know you're going to say you need to protect their confidentiality...or it's coming...or some such baloney.)
Old 04-16-2023, 04:52 PM   #39
Major

Quote:
I look forward to your report...

(But of course I know you're going to say you need to protect their confidentiality...or it's coming...or some such baloney.)
Of course. It’s not my place to comment publicly.

However, I’ll say this. I’ve had the privilege of working with Norm on several personal legal matters. I found him to be very professional, honest, a man having great integrity. You can believe what you want or read in the paper. He’s not the type of person to complain or explain.

Old 04-16-2023, 07:22 PM   #40
SAB1

Quote:
Those were days when authority was not questioned... it resulted in the malfeseance that we now witness daily in the news.
It took awhile for us to ''awaken'' but we have gotten there.
Not necessarily. The world seemed to work well then, much better than it functions now. A little respect goes a long way.
The Following User Says Thank You to SAB1 For This Useful Post:
TiltonBB (04-16-2023)
Old 04-16-2023, 07:44 PM   #41
John Mercier

Quote:
Of course. It’s not my place to comment publicly.

However, I’ll say this. I’ve had the privilege of working with Norm on several personal legal matters. I found him to be very professional, honest, a man having great integrity. You can believe what you want or read in the paper. He’s not the type of person to complain or explain.

He could have gone a long way earning the honest and man having great integrity by just releasing the documents.
Old 04-16-2023, 08:00 PM   #42
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
Not necessarily. The world seemed to work well then, much better than it functions now. A little respect goes a long way.
We just didn't see it as much.
The pedophile priest, false televangelist, crooked politicians, drug-abusing doctors, etc... those were all hidden.

The reason that Peyton Place was such a shocking novel at the time, people didn't talk about it in public.
The Following User Says Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post:
AltonCAM (04-16-2023)
Old 04-17-2023, 12:30 AM   #43
Mr. V

Quote:
We just didn't see it as much.
The pedophile priest, false televangelist, crooked politicians, drug-abusing doctors, etc... those were all hidden. The reason that Peyton Place was such a shocking novel at the time, people didn't talk about it in public.
Same with racial justice and LGBTQ issues.

Open up Pandora's box and ... surprise, surprise.
Old 04-17-2023, 04:36 AM   #44
SAB1

I guess you can’t argue that but I think you can certainly argue the frequency of issues is certainly higher now. Part of degradation of society. This thread could certainly go off the rails discussing that so I’ll bow out now lol.
Old 04-18-2023, 03:42 AM   #45
ApS

Arrow Depends on Your News Source...

Quote:
There's a headline today "Refund the Police", which includes a video interview with the mayor saying, "We need to bring back retired police officers".

Quote:
I,m not suggesting getting rid of the local regular officer that is assigned to specific neighborhoods . The problem is the duplicate management groups needed when all these small towns create a police force. We probably have a dozen higher paid police chiefs around the lake followed by all the duplicate buildings , staffs, etc. Put them all under one chief and staff and use the savings to put more actual feet on the ground
Sounds good on paper; however, when I lived in a County of 2,431 square miles, a shooting occurred across my street. The first officer who came to the scene was from the abutting town! The County officer responded about 15 minutes later.

Prior to this occasion, I'd seen only one County patrol car passing through our neighborhood in fifteen years. ('Figured he was lost).
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 09:11 PM   #46
gokart-mozart

Default Chief Rondeau Has Resigned

Announced by Police Commission 2 hours ago. Chairman Steve Wood declined any further comment.
Old 05-03-2023, 04:10 AM   #47
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokart-mozart View Post
Announced by Police Commission 2 hours ago. Chairman Steve Wood declined any further comment.
I heard that the day after the news broke but didn't know if it was true or not. Maybe it is and he just didn't want to go through all the ----.
Old 05-03-2023, 07:17 AM   #48
gokart-mozart

Default Source for Resignation Story

Quote:
I heard that the day after the news broke but didn't know if it was true or not. Maybe it is and he just didn't want to go through all the ----.
Sorry, I should have sourced the Union Leader, where this story ran last night. I have not seen it anywhere else.
Old 05-04-2023, 01:29 PM   #49
Billy Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
There's a headline today "Refund the Police", which includes a video interview with the mayor saying, "We need to bring back retired police officers".

Sounds good on paper; however, when I lived in a County of 2,431 square miles, a shooting occurred across my street. The first officer who came to the scene was from the abutting town! The County officer responded about 15 minutes later.

Prior to this occasion, I'd seen only one County patrol car passing through our neighborhood in fifteen years. ('Figured he was lost).
Nice one off story however we don’t have any 2’431 sq mile counties. I am not suggesting reducing the number of street patrol units I am suggesting removing all the duplicate management level people in all these small towns and consolidateing management and chiefs. The result would be substantially more police on the streets and fewer chiefs etc with nothing to do and no prospect for promotion
ApS (05-04-2023)
Old 05-04-2023, 05:28 PM   #50
John Mercier

Each town/city would need to make that agreement and enter into some sort of cost-sharing formula that they all agree to.
Old 05-06-2023, 09:43 PM   #51
ApS

Post There's Also "PC" Hirelings To Consider...

Quote:
Nice one off story.
It's hard to forget. My neighbors, driving their Cadillac, returned from grocery shopping in the dark. A carload of robbers tried to force them into their house. The husband, a tennis player in his 70s, put up a pretty good fight in their carport. The commotion got my attention, so I walked out into my front lawn--got shot at--and exchanged gunfire with them.

Quote:
I am not suggesting reducing the number of street patrol units I am suggesting removing all the duplicate management level people in all these small towns and consolidateing management and chiefs. The result would be substantially more police on the streets and fewer chiefs etc with nothing to do and no prospect for promotion
One week after the above confrontation, they struck again, using the same M.O. This time, the victim was Robert L. Shevin, back then, the State's Attorney General! I didn't know he lived just across a canal from me.

Bob Shevin's community, Pinecrest Village, is a "bedroom community" for perhaps hundreds of other lawyers who need only 15 minutes to commute to the downtown Justice Building.

That village subsequently became incorporated with its own police force, becoming the newest of 40+ towns and villages in the County.

BTW: Back when the FBI was doing actual detective work, two agents were shot dead there in 1984. (Before Pinecrest Village became incorporated).

Trying to "undo" what has already been done--especially by lawyers--is a fool's errand.

As for reducing "chiefs", that's not how law enforcement works: Underlings either collect more pay, more overtime, more inventive time-off schemes, or get promoted. Where I worked, the workload is down, but they've hired twice the people; worse, there's one paid supervisor for every three people!

Besides, if a Carroll County Sheriff's Deputy were to receive a call regarding a confrontation at "Chipmunk Hollow", how many minutes would his response-time be from nearby Alton?
Old 05-06-2023, 11:24 PM   #52
RockHopster

Default Respectfully disagree LDS Stories

Quote:
Take for example the former chief of police in Gilford. He was widely celebrated, not for being a great cop, but for his sexual orientation. Articles upon articles in the LDS lauded him on this aspect of his life. However, when he was placed on leave and ultimately dismissed, hardly an article has been written. The LDS was too invested in its prior narrative, so it has chosen to give the matter a good leaving alone.
I will respectfully disagree

Once can easily search for LDS past stories. Just google: Laconia Daily Sun subject matter. in this case Bean Burpee.

I could not find a single example of The Sun "lauding him on this aspect of his life". So there was no prior narrative preventing the publishing of the five stories that ran on his dismissal. 4 by Mike Mortensen, 1 by Robert Baker.

https://www.google.com/search?q=laco...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Last edited by RockHopster; 05-07-2023 at 05:35 PM. Reason: bad URL
RockHopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 05:03 AM   #53
TiltonBB

Default Not a criminal matter

Police Commissioner Wood:
“We live in a society where you have the right to due process. When the investigation is complete, we make determinations, we will talk with legal counsel and we will release everything to the public that we can.”

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...31139340b.html
Old 05-23-2023, 07:00 AM   #54
tis

It's funny because when a commissioner made an inappropriate remark resulting in the end of his service, we heard immediately what was going on.
Old 05-30-2023, 06:27 PM   #55
Heaven

Quote:
It's funny because when a commissioner made an inappropriate remark resulting in the end of his service, we heard immediately what was going on.
A commissioner is not an employee
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 04:36 AM   #56
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaven View Post
A commissioner is not an employee
So? He still is a representative of the town.
Old 09-05-2023, 06:20 AM   #57
TiltonBB

Default Police Chief Update

Internal report reveals 'multi-year pattern' of misconduct by former New Hampshire police chief.

It looks more like statements and Facebook posts offended some people.

https://www.wmur.com/article/interna...chief/44992867
Old 09-06-2023, 08:55 AM   #58
FlyingScot

Quote:
Internal report reveals 'multi-year pattern' of misconduct by former New Hampshire police chief.

It looks more like statements and Facebook posts offended some people.

https://www.wmur.com/article/interna...chief/44992867
Glad he's gone
Old 09-06-2023, 10:37 AM   #59
mofn

I have a question for the town’s officials who had the report:
1) When was it completed?
2) When did you get it?
3) Why was an F.O.I.A. request needed for it to see the light of day?
4) How much push-back by the town was there to the F.O.I.A. request?
mofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 06:14 PM   #60
John Mercier

F.O.I.A. request?
Does that even cover local municipalities?

I think they would use RSA 91-A

They would be beholden to RSA 91-A:3 specifically section 2.
Old 09-06-2023, 08:18 PM   #61
ApS

Angry Facebook's 67-Genders--Needed Ridicule...

Quote:
Glad he's gone
Fifteen years ago, he (Rondeau) was nicknamed "Rambo" by Wolfeboro townsfolk. Member tis would remember...

It took only the "PC" of Facebook to end an otherwise-successful Wolfeboro career. Facebook has not been friendly to the forum to which you are opining.

My Wolfeboro WWII pilot Dad was on first-name basis with "Rambo", and knew nothing of "Rambo" nor Facebook.
Old 09-06-2023, 09:22 PM   #62
LikeLakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
It took only the "PC" of Facebook to end an otherwise-successful Wolfeboro career.
Only the PC of Facebook? What about this?

The report also highlighted inappropriate behavior by Rondeau when interacting with police department employees.

A quote from the report said, “When asked about whether he commented about women's breasts to his subordinates, Rondeau replied that it was ‘common’ and that ‘they all do this.’”
LikeLakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 10:18 PM   #63
John Mercier

Facebook still would have done it.
The civil lawsuits would be untenable for the taxpayers.
Old 09-07-2023, 07:29 AM   #64
FlyingScot

Granite State News has a piece this morning--this is a LOT worse than a few Facebook posts or debates about PC. Department in complete disarray, including multiple (all?) officers not responding during a life or death situation.

It's kind of amazing and really sad that a relatively wealthy community (i.e. a community with a bunch of demanding people) put up with this for so long
Old 09-07-2023, 11:17 AM   #65
LoveLakeLife

Quote:
Facebook still would have done it.

The civil lawsuits would be untenable for the taxpayers.
What would be the grounds for a lawsuit John?

LoveLakeLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 12:09 PM   #66
mofn

Who cares if it was a “F.O.I.A. request” or “RSA 91-A:3 specifically section 2”. It goes straight to the summer of 1973 and Howard Baker:
“What did the president (town) know and when did he (they) know it?”
Then it begs the question why did the town not release the findings of a TAXPAYER funded investigation?
Old 09-07-2023, 12:26 PM   #67
camp guy

In the "InDepthNH.org" article, by Nancy West, Rondeau is quoted as saying "My attorney and I are keeping our options open", and, "I do feel I have been harmed".

In the light of these two quotes, and recognizing the fact that Rondeau may be in for an uphill battle, I would offer the suggestion that comments by outsiders may be totally out of context and without factual basis, and, therefore, inappropriate.

Continued discussion of this matter could lead to actually strengthening his claim of "been harmed". I am no fan of this individual, but I think this entire matter should be left in the hands of the officials involved.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 03:59 PM   #68
Major

I read the article differently than most. My take is that the origins of the complaint and investigation stemmed from the chief's decisions on assignments and overtime. The union didn't appreciate him reserving plum overtime duties for him and the other senior officer. Once an investigation is initiated, the investigator has broad latitude to pursue any other misconduct. It is not surprising that instances of bad conduct were voiced by the same people complaining about allocation of assignments and overtime. I am not saying the chief did not say things that were inappropriate, things that should not have been said. However, the standard for creating a hostile work environment is not merely stating uncouth things. The employee has to be part of a legally protected class, such as age, disability, race, religion, sexual orientation. Making crude jokes does not rise to the level of a hostile work environment if some form of discrimination does not occur with it.

I was part of and conducted many Article 15 Investigations while in the National Guard. This type of scenario occurred frequently. (An individual being investigated for one thing, but the findings proving something else.)
Proving a hostile work environment is not easy. In this case, the chief very well may have a cause of action against the town.
Old 09-07-2023, 04:39 PM   #69
FlyingScot

Quote:
I read the article differently than most. My take is that the origins of the complaint and investigation stemmed from the chief's decisions on assignments and overtime. The union didn't appreciate him reserving plum overtime duties for him and the other senior officer. Once an investigation is initiated, the investigator has broad latitude to pursue any other misconduct. It is not surprising that instances of bad conduct were voiced by the same people complaining about allocation of assignments and overtime. I am not saying the chief did not say things that were inappropriate, things that should not have been said. However, the standard for creating a hostile work environment is not merely stating uncouth things. The employee has to be part of a legally protected class, such as age, disability, race, religion, sexual orientation. Making crude jokes does not rise to the level of a hostile work environment if some form of discrimination does not occur with it.

I was part of and conducted many Article 15 Investigations while in the National Guard. This type of scenario occurred frequently. (An individual being investigated for one thing, but the findings proving something else.)
Proving a hostile work environment is not easy. In this case, the chief very well may have a cause of action against the town.
News flash--women are a protected class.

Bigger issue though (not to minimize sexism)--don't you think the town should be able to fire a police chief (or fire chief, or DPW head...) just for being a lousy leader? Did you see the Granite State News piece? A captain called for help in a life or death situation and NOBODY came to the scene? Unbelievable. That complete lack of structure/discipline alone is reason to terminate the chief
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
farechofisherman (09-07-2023)
Old 09-07-2023, 05:11 PM   #70
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofn View Post
Who cares if it was a “F.O.I.A. request” or “RSA 91-A:3 specifically section 2”. It goes straight to the summer of 1973 and Howard Baker:
“What did the president (town) know and when did he (they) know it?”
Then it begs the question why did the town not release the findings of a TAXPAYER funded investigation?
Because the RSA lays out the specifics.
The release may have allowed for the police chief to sue for defamation of character.
He would not have to prove that he didn't do what they alleged he did... only that the process was violated and thus his privacy violated as an employee of the town.
Old 09-07-2023, 05:23 PM   #71
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLakeLife View Post
What would be the grounds for a lawsuit John?

Anything from the Chief feeling the process was not followed and it brought harm to his character, to a resident claiming what the woman in Franklin is claiming - they do not feel they have equal protection. To a business owner claiming harm from loss of tourist revenue due to the remarks being posted in a broadly open forum.
Civil suits are tantamount to venom.
Old 09-07-2023, 07:22 PM   #72
mofn

"InDepthNH.org" has the 28 page report released in June.
It is a toxic mess that did not pop up overnight!
Old 09-07-2023, 08:15 PM   #73
John Mercier

And should the Chief decide to sue InDepth, that is his purview. But unless he can prove the BoS violated the process... then the town is clear.

The town did what conservative towns all over NH do. Take the complaint, investigate the complaint, act on the findings of the investigation if necessary after seeking competent legal counsel, and make a small generalized statement on their actions.
It is the safest route for every municipality.
It is a slower process... but avoids ongoing drama out of the spotlight.
Old 09-07-2023, 08:26 PM   #74
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofn View Post
"InDepthNH.org" has the 28 page report released in June.
link to MRI report: https://indepthnh.org/wp-content/upl...REDACTED-2.pdf
ApS (09-08-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 08:34 AM   #75
ApS

Unhappy Rondeau--"Caught-Up In The Times"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
Thanks...I read most of it, but when reading way down to Rondeau's own Facebook cartoons. I had to LOL at the cartoon that begins with, "This is Susy". (A hairy weightlifter wearing a red bra). Anheiser-Busch lost $27 Billion as a result of transgender(ism): presumably, due to gender-specific boycotts.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ket-value.html

It looks like the Wolfeboro police chief was just "Caught-up in the Times". It happened at my own police department, where she was rocketed through $100,000 promotions, and might be collecting $300,000 annual salary today; that is, were she not retired.

Transphobia--as a term- hadn't yet been invented.

We saw none of this hullabaloo in the U. S. Navy of the 1970s. It all started later with the Feds and "Don't ask--Don't tell".

Anyway, when Chief "Rambo" was mentioned at a now-defunct Wolfeboro forum, a male educator listed this quote, "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf".

I hope Chief "Rambo"--while his old job would have paid well in retirement--retires wealthier than could have been arranged with his two year's time remaining.

While I've had only two occasions to call on WPD in 47 years, I'd received prompt service. I called just three weeks ago, alerting WPD to a loud barking (and getting frantic) dog left alone at my newest neighbor's walk-in basement. Though the dispatcher advised the officer would respond to such calls in an "as-available" basis, an officer arrived so quickly, he could have been parked in my driveway!

Facebook itself has been collecting data on people: wherein their salaried censors had viewed "inappropriate" postings, then would deplatform, ban, or use "shadow-banning" algorithms to provide "Proper-Think" to the masses. Chief Rondeau's posts seem to have been allowed-in for some reason.

Facebook, again, provided million$ to "educate" cities who needed to shift their alliances in a NY newspaper article titled, "Zuckerbucks". The People didn't learn of Zuckerberg's manipulations with integrity, because they'd been counting on Google--and the NYTs--who had both censored the article.

Old 09-08-2023, 09:46 AM   #76
Major

Quote:
News flash--women are a protected class.

Bigger issue though (not to minimize sexism)--don't you think the town should be able to fire a police chief (or fire chief, or DPW head...) just for being a lousy leader? Did you see the Granite State News piece? A captain called for help in a life or death situation and NOBODY came to the scene? Unbelievable. That complete lack of structure/discipline alone is reason to terminate the chief
Of course I know that women are a protected class. Locker room humor alone is not sufficient to create a hostile work environment. It needs to be coupled with some sort of discrimination or favoritism, which doesn't appear to be present in this instance.

The situation you mentioned is not referenced in the article. Not sure whether it was investigated. Police make split second decisions on a routine basis. As with most if not all of these situations, we do not know all the facts. If the chief was not performing to the requirements of the position, there were any number of ways to initiate his removal. The initial investigation in this instance appears to be rooted in disgruntled employees complaining about assignments and overtime. The article doesn't really mention poor job performance.

I have seen many instances when even a small number of disgruntled employees can destroy an otherwise honorable career. People get caught up in the emotional aspect of a hostile work environment accusation and tend to overstate and embellish what really was said and happened. And then they use the allegations to effect the removal of the individual. Again, I know nothing about this present situation, but given the history of shoddy reporting by the LDS, I always view stories like these with a critical eye.
Old 09-08-2023, 11:06 AM   #77
John Mercier

AB lost revenue because the establishments that support the transgender community will no longer purchase, and thus sell, the product.

Critics of the transgender community, like bar owner Kid Rock, continue to sell the brand at their bars.

Locker Room Humor can legally if the situation persists constitute a legal finding of a hostile work environment. The supervisor is responsible to see that it stops. The Chief, being the direct supervisor, had to be overstepped by the BoS after the investigation.

https://www.skassellaw.com/how-locke...k-environment/

The Board acts on behalf of the taxpayers; and I would guess got the best legal advice they could to protect those taxpayers.

Work environments are always tough... but we have to do the best we can to limit offensive behavior and make others feel comfortable to perform at exceptional levels.
Old 09-08-2023, 12:45 PM   #78
Major

Quote:
AB lost revenue because the establishments that support the transgender community will no longer purchase, and thus sell, the product.

Critics of the transgender community, like bar owner Kid Rock, continue to sell the brand at their bars.

Locker Room Humor can legally if the situation persists constitute a legal finding of a hostile work environment. The supervisor is responsible to see that it stops. The Chief, being the direct supervisor, had to be overstepped by the BoS after the investigation.

https://www.skassellaw.com/how-locke...k-environment/

The Board acts on behalf of the taxpayers; and I would guess got the best legal advice they could to protect those taxpayers.

Work environments are always tough... but we have to do the best we can to limit offensive behavior and make others feel comfortable to perform at exceptional levels.
California law may have a different standard for what constitutes a hostile work environment than New Hampshire law. When I retired from the Army 11 years ago the standard was that the conduct must be persistent, intentional, severe, recurring and pervasive, and must interfere with the employee's ability to perform. The person making the accusation must reasonably believe that he or she will be discriminated against, e.g., if not he or she will be terminated. Instances of locker room humor or inappropriate jokes are not enough.

That said, the standard probably has lowered over the years, especially with the "me too" movement. Also, there may be legal theories prohibiting such behavior other than hostile work environment. And while I agree we have to do the best we can to make people feel comfortable and perform well, those who can relate and adapt to all personality types do best. I thought the world was a much more interesting place where we had to deal with "characters." When I was a kid, there were "characters" everywhere. Now, in our effort to be diverse, we are creating a society of homogenous behavior. Boring!
Old 09-08-2023, 01:10 PM   #79
John Mercier

https://www.shaheengordon.com/employ...0or%20comments
Old 09-08-2023, 01:17 PM   #80
Major

Quote:
No mention of the standard in the article. Just the types of behavior that may get you in trouble. Yes, inappropriate jokes and innuendos can get a person in trouble, if they are part of a severe pattern of behavior that caused the person to reasonably believe they are being discriminated against.

John, I used to give presentations on sexual harassment to each of the RIANG units every year for about 10 years straight. I know a little something about this topic.
Old 09-08-2023, 02:12 PM   #81
John Mercier

It provides the NH Statutes pertinent.
Old 09-08-2023, 02:17 PM   #82
FlyingScot

Quote:
California law may have a different standard for what constitutes a hostile work environment than New Hampshire law. When I retired from the Army 11 years ago the standard was that the conduct must be persistent, intentional, severe, recurring and pervasive, and must interfere with the employee's ability to perform. The person making the accusation must reasonably believe that he or she will be discriminated against, e.g., if not he or she will be terminated. Instances of locker room humor or inappropriate jokes are not enough.

That said, the standard probably has lowered over the years, especially with the "me too" movement. Also, there may be legal theories prohibiting such behavior other than hostile work environment. And while I agree we have to do the best we can to make people feel comfortable and perform well, those who can relate and adapt to all personality types do best. I thought the world was a much more interesting place where we had to deal with "characters." When I was a kid, there were "characters" everywhere. Now, in our effort to be diverse, we are creating a society of homogenous behavior. Boring!
Weird and sad that you imply the standard for keeping a police chief is that he has not broken the law. This is the kind of thinking that leads governments to function so poorly compared to businesses. Any decent business would just fire his sorry ass for being a lousy leader, as described in numerous reports that you seem to ignore.

If he's your brother, cousin, or BFF--that's cool and you're a good friend. But other than that, this is your toughest defense since Silber & Co
Old 09-08-2023, 02:30 PM   #83
Major

Quote:
Weird and sad that you imply the standard for keeping a police chief is that he has not broken the law. This is the kind of thinking that leads governments to function so poorly compared to businesses. Any decent business would just fire his sorry ass for being a lousy leader, as described in numerous reports that you seem to ignore.

If he's your brother, cousin, or BFF--that's cool and you're a good friend. But other than that, this is your toughest defense since Silber & Co
I don't know him from Adam. But when I hear that a union is unhappy, and then they generate an investigation based on allegations that appear to be within a chief's discretion, I tend to have skepticism of the allegations. People like you think you know everything about the situation just because you read it in the paper. I hate to break it to you but news reporting has biases, and they come out in articles like this one about the chief (and the article about the restaurant owner in Franklin). And it isn't sad, you or I do not know all of the facts, you or I don't know if the allegations are true or made-up. I know the standard for sexual harassment and workplace and they are basically the same for public and private sectors. Such standards are and should be high to protect the employee. Otherwise, someone can make an allegation and destroy someone's life. You are talking about something completely different when you suggest a lower standard for employment. I don't necessarily disagree with you. The standard should be lower for poor performance. However, in the private sector it is easier to terminate someone than in the public sector.
Old 09-08-2023, 05:45 PM   #84
John Mercier

The papers didn't remove him from his position.

The allegations only trigger an investigation.

The Board, with legal advice, must have felt that a suit from the Chief was less likely to have a negative outcome than a suit(s) filed by others.

The Chief can file civil suit, if he feels that appropriate.
Old 09-08-2023, 10:45 PM   #85
Descant

In a small state like NH police all over the state are known to each other. You don't get to be chief because you have no credentials, or because nobody knows you. Why isn't anybody questioning the commission that screened and hired this guy? We've seen other threads with police chief issues. This is not just a Wolfeboro problem, but it is a hiring problem.
Old 09-09-2023, 11:56 AM   #86
Major

Quote:
It provides the NH Statutes pertinent.
The RSA supports what I've been saying. Jokes and locker room humor are not enough. Typically, Federal and State statutes, like NH RSA 354-A: 6 & 7, prohibit discrimination based on an employee's protected class. NH RSA 354-A: 6 states that it is discriminatory for an employer to refuse to hire or employ or to otherwise discriminate against an employee because of age, sex, gender identity, race, color, marital status, physical or mental disability, religious creed, or national origin. RSA 354-A: 7 prohibits harassment, such as unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal, non-verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature. Such behavior must include one of the following: (a) submission to such conduct is made either explicitly or implicitly a term or condition of an individual's employment; (b) submission to or rejection of such conduct by an individual is used as the basis for employment decisions affecting such individual; or
(c) such conduct has the purpose or effect of unreasonably interfering with an individual's work performance or creating an intimidating, hostile, or offensive working environment.

What is not said in the RSA, and is required when proving such cases, is that the individual making the accusation must have a reasonable belief that they are being discriminated against, meaning that some level of reasonableness is the standard that the person being effected cannot perform his or her duties because of the conduct.

You are correct, the papers did not remove the chief. Based on what was in the article, it was the allegations about assignments and overtime that triggered the investigation, not his allegedly boorish conduct or poor performance. I agree about the Board's analysis, the Board weighed the likelihood of legal action in retaining the chief by the union and/or individuals offended by his conduct versus the likelihood of legal action in dismissing the chief by the chief. However, I am not sure what role his retirement plays. He may argue that his retirement essentially was a constructive dismissal. It will be interesting to see what happens.
Old 09-09-2023, 12:17 PM   #87
John Mercier

(C) would cover it.

Also the bar for a civil suit is lower than a criminal violation of a statue.
Nor does it protect contractual employees from violation of policy.

The female employees could file on the basis that his comments suggested underlying discrimination against them.
And if it when public, all sorts of actions could come from the community at large.

The outcome of the Franklin case will be the more interesting, as that one is very active.
Old 09-09-2023, 12:32 PM   #88
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
In a small state like NH police all over the state are known to each other. You don't get to be chief because you have no credentials, or because nobody knows you. Why isn't anybody questioning the commission that screened and hired this guy? We've seen other threads with police chief issues. This is not just a Wolfeboro problem, but it is a hiring problem.
Aps and Major laid it out.
Changing standards. So what someone did in the past may have been more acceptable from a legal and social outlook.

Also, ex-employers really don't need the hassle of either a civil suit from a former employee or the social media attacks should they become disgruntled.
Old 09-09-2023, 03:36 PM   #89
ApS

Arrow Very Short Video--Example...

Quote:
Aps and Major laid it out. Changing standards. So what someone did in the past may have been more acceptable from a legal and social outlook. Also, ex-employers really don't need the hassle of either a civil suit from a former employee or the social media attacks should they become disgruntled.
Who would do this to a woman today?

(Eight seconds in...)

https://youtube.com/shorts/mImLfx2TF...rJzIS0t70TAYBd

Edited to add (ETA):

Quote:
First, there is NO defund the police movement. That’s fake news. I,m not suggesting getting rid of the local regular officer that is assigned to specific neighborhoods . The problem is the duplicate management groups needed when all these small towns create a police force. We probably have a dozen higher paid police chiefs around the lake followed by all the duplicate buildings , staffs, etc. Put hem all under one chief and staff and use the savings to put more actual feet on the ground
Millions have been donated to anti-police organizations, including PolicyLink, the group behind DefundPolice.org, according to investigative reporter Lee Fang. (Million$ by Facebook's Zuckerberg).

Look up Shivanthi Sathanandan--today's champion for defunding police--in Facebook. You'll get a chuckle (or maybe, a grimace).

Last edited by ApS; 09-10-2023 at 02:41 AM.