Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2023, 12:52 PM   #1
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Island bunkhouse

We have a 12 x 16 bunkhouse, part small bedroom part storage shed. The kids are itching for a newer, larger bunkhouse. Somehow, we have lots more toys (kayaks, tubes, etc) to store, so the old one would just be storage.
All the existing structures were built c. 1960, pre-fab panels with roof trusses. Mostly 4 x 8 sections hand carried up from the barge. This seems more economical than stick built 2 x 4 x 16" on center. Same with trusses 4' on center instead of 2 x10 rafters 16" on center. Roof sheathing is 2 x 6 v-groove which also serves as the exposed ceiling. This all seems to have held up well for the last 60 years, and appears more economical from the perspective of both labor and materials.

Has the code changed significantly that would prevent similar construction now?
Is this type construction still likely to be cheaper than current stick built?
Any suggestions on who might do such building/kit creation?

I talked to Reeds Ferry Sheds and they won't do an island or anything that they can't install themselves. Eased Edges has nice sheds, but limited to 12' wide since they are Amish built and shipped here as a kit for barging.

Thanks for what ever thoughts or advice you might have.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 04:11 PM   #2
TheTimeTraveler

Codes in Gilford have likely changed since the 1960's. Are you able to inquire at the Building Inspector's Office as to what are the requirements in 2023 for an out building?

The Amish built sheds are likely the most durable and best value.... can you put two 12' sheds back to back in order to double your square footage?
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheTimeTraveler For This Useful Post:
dickiej (03-11-2023)
Old 03-11-2023, 04:40 PM   #3
codeman671

We stick built our 16x16’ 2 years ago when we did our reno. It’s 2x6 construction, cathedral ceiling with a structural ridge so we didn’t need collar ties. Finished outside with matching shakes, a metal roof and sitting porch. The inside is all prefinished tongue and groove pine and lvp flooring. We definitely went overboard.

Are you keeping the same footprint, expanding and/or relocating? You would need to get into a Shoreland permit depending on how far back it is, as well as a town building permit.

Bunk houses are not permitted, so make it a shed and finish after inspected. No rules against having a really “nice shed”.

I think when I was doing my research Post Woodworking would bring one out in panelized form if you provided the barge.
codeman671 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 05:48 PM   #4
Descant

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
We stick built our 16x16’ 2 years ago when we did our reno. It’s 2x6 construction, cathedral ceiling with a structural ridge so we didn’t need collar ties. Finished outside with matching shakes, a metal roof and sitting porch. The inside is all prefinished tongue and groove pine and lvp flooring. We definitely went overboard.

Are you keeping the same footprint, expanding and/or relocating? You would need to get into a Shoreland permit depending on how far back it is, as well as a town building permit.

Bunk houses are not permitted, so make it a shed and finish after inspected. No rules against having a really “nice shed”.

I think when I was doing my research Post Woodworking would bring one out in panelized form if you provided the barge.
Good info. Thank you. My impression from the Town Hall was that anything over 160 sf, regardless of purpose, needs a permit. They also implied that if there were certain features, such as plumbing, it might be considered a second residence and be obstructed by the limit of one residence for 150' of frontage.
This will be a new structure, so little to do with using the old footprint, although it will go where we had a 6 x 8 tool shed which captured a tree a winter ago. The squirrels will be upset to see that go.
For me, bunkhouse means no insulation, interior finish, lvt. It will probably be used only a few weeks a month in season.
Old 03-11-2023, 07:23 PM   #5
John Mercier

Check with Rick Thieme at Middleton Meredith.
He would be able to get pricing on trusses and fast framing panelized walls.
2x6 T&G decking is a mill order. He should be able to get pricing and lead times for everything at once if you have even a simple diagram.
John Mercier is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (03-14-2023)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2023, 07:52 PM   #6
Descant

That's a double click on the Thanks button.
Thank You Thank you
Old 03-13-2023, 09:26 AM   #7
CaptT820

Default Bunkhouse

It is interesting that Gilford does not allow for a bunkhouse, as Alton does per code. They have several requirements, but nothing outrageous.

With that said, I'd build it in sections on the mainland, similar to how Reed's Ferry builds theirs, and then bring it over modular. I'm sure you've explored this, but if Reed's will deliver unassembled to the mainland, then just do that and assemble yourself on the island.

We own a "bunkhouse" in Alton on an island, that is our main camp as of right now, at a whopping 252 sq. ft., not bad for just two of us.
CaptT820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 04:11 PM   #8
Descant

CapT820: Thanks. Gilford allows bunkhouses, but wants to be sure they aren't a second residence in violation of the zoning/frontage restrictions. Reeds Ferry told me they would only do stuff that they could assemble, not drop ship.
Old 03-14-2023, 06:39 AM   #9
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Middleton Lumber

I second Middleton. They can customize prefabricated sheds to your liking. Even see if it can be transported on a pontoon boat or barge.

Gilford is strict about 'accessory apartments'. Just build the shed. After inspection, do as you wish, within reason.
Old 03-14-2023, 07:56 AM   #10
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
CapT820: Thanks. Gilford allows bunkhouses, but wants to be sure they aren't a second residence in violation of the zoning/frontage restrictions. Reeds Ferry told me they would only do stuff that they could assemble, not drop ship.
Meredith was a no on bunkhouses on paper, but I am sure he knew what we were up to.
codeman671 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 10:21 AM   #11
CampEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Gilford is strict about 'accessory apartments'. Just build the shed.
Can you add any more commentary on this statement? What are they strict about? Does it differ for mainland or island? Attached or detached to the main house?
CampEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 10:38 AM   #12
Descant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampEye View Post
Can you add any more commentary on this statement? What are they strict about? Does it differ for mainland or island? Attached or detached to the main house?
See post #8. Zoning restricts number of residences per front foot, so it's watefront in that respect. Away from the water, zoning is usually "residential, single family"" or "residential multi family" in most towns, plus commercial and Industrial zones.
Old 04-23-2023, 09:37 PM   #13
John Mercier

Hopefully you spoke with Rick.
Rumor is he will be leaving us.

Not sure of anyone other than him that we have trained to do these types of quotes/orders in the Meredith/Bristol area.
John Mercier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 09:28 AM   #14
Descant

My niece has been in contact with Rick--waiting for info. Thanks for the follow up.