Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2023, 10:54 AM   #1
bigdog

Default Buillion Dealers ?

I'm looking for reputable online sources to purchase silver buillion , specifically silver 'Rounds'. Lot's of hustlers and sharks in this business, so doing tons of research !

Going to start investing for the long term, and this looks like a good place to to begin for the novice, with the least risk. Should have started this years ago,
but never too late to begin.

Suggestions ?
Old 03-04-2023, 11:39 AM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,923 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
I'm looking for reputable online sources to purchase silver buillion , specifically silver 'Rounds'. Lot's of hustlers and sharks in this business, so doing tons of research !

Going to start investing for the long term, and this looks like a good place to to begin for the novice, with the least risk. Should have started this years ago,

Suggestions ?
For small quantity (less than $20,000.00) I would recommend SD Bullion. https://sdbullion.com/?gclid=EAIaIQo...SAAEgL4H_D_BwE

For large quantity I would recommend Colorado Gold. https://www.coloradogold.com/

Don’t get taken in by high priced elaborate detailed rounds, coins or numismatics. You would be better off buying solid bars in varying sizes for the lowest price and biggest bang for the buck…remember it’s only ever worth spot price!

Dan
bigdog (03-04-2023)
Old 03-04-2023, 11:50 AM   #3
NH.Solar

Dan Estes in Meredith would be a great place to start. Shop local!
Old 03-04-2023, 12:05 PM   #4
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:

Suggestions ?
My mother had a 12 piece silverware set that I inherited. Growing up she would always tell me it was worth 20K so I kept it for years thinking it would go up in value. About 8 or 9 years ago silver was at a high so I figured it was time to sell. I couldn't get anyone interested in this beautiful silverware set as is, so I sold it for what silver was paying per ounce, I got $7500 and it hasn't gone anywhere near that high since, just sayin!.
I see predictions saying it could go to $100 per ounce but it's never seen $50 so that's highly unlikely. Sorry if I didn't answer your question.
Old 03-04-2023, 03:13 PM   #5
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
My mother had a 12 piece silverware set that I inherited. Growing up she would always tell me it was worth 20K so I kept it for years thinking it would go up in value. About 8 or 9 years ago silver was at a high so I figured it was time to sell. I couldn't get anyone interested in this beautiful silverware set as is, so I sold it for what silver was paying per ounce, I got $7500 and it hasn't gone anywhere near that high since, just sayin!.
I see predictions saying it could go to $100 per ounce but it's never seen $50 so that's highly unlikely. Sorry if I didn't answer your question.
You answered the more important question--silver is a high risk asset. It should not be a large % of anyone's portfolio (unless they are a professional)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2023, 03:36 PM   #6
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
You answered the more important question--silver is a high risk asset. It should not be a large % of anyone's portfolio (unless they are a professional)
Couldn’t agree more!

Dan
Old 03-04-2023, 07:46 PM   #7
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
The Silver Story.

A local independent semi-retired -mostly - contractor.
2010 - 2012
He listened to certain radio programs. Viewed certain national news programs.
And they convinced him that the dollar was going to collapse. That there was going to be anarchy in the streets. That the US dollar would no longer be accepted at stores. So he loaded up on dry goods and canned goods. Purchased an item to prevent people from entering his home.

Not having any excess money. He mortgaged his home for $100,000.
Searched all local dealers for silver coins. Traveled around the lakes region to jewelry/pawn/coin shops.
He bought silver dollars at around $34 - $37.00 per coin. A little lower/a little higher. Not any rare coins. Just ordinary regular silver dollars.

He died broke. He died of complications of Covid - as the same radio and TV folks convinced him that a vaccine is not needed and a plot by the govment.
But that story is for another posting.

The year he died - silver was hovering around $17.00 per ounce.
Old 03-05-2023, 06:36 AM   #8
fatlazyless

www.nccnh.com has been there for many years, a small walk-in store on Main St, Plymouth NH with the owner/manager right there and a good place to go for value information.

"Hey buddy, what's this 1804 silver dollar worth?" ......
The Following User Says Thank You to fatlazyless For This Useful Post:
stingray (03-06-2023)
Old 03-05-2023, 10:38 AM   #9
WinnisquamZ

Quote:

Suggestions ?

Reading it’s the currency of NHFreestaters Name:  Image1678030731.548558.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  48.8 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 03-05-2023, 11:23 AM   #10
granitebox

For what its worth - everyone has an opinion but here are some dealers that sell US Mint products - the most liquid silver is either US Silver Eagles or US Gold Eagles - they are also commanding the highest premium over spot right now than most other products which reflects the demand for these product and its liquidity. There are a few dealers that sell US Mint products, this is only a short list.

IME gold (I don't have silver data) Eagles sold for about 4-5% over spot before the pandemic, then folks started to talk about the end of days and such and the premium has soared to around 8%, many folks expected this to be short lived but it has endured, there is finally some showing of lessening of demand as shown by the dropping prices of the dealers that are buying back Eagles. It hasn't really shown up in the retail market and its near impossible to time the market but just thought I would share.

Here are some dealers:

APMEX
MCM
SD Bullion
Pinehurst
JM Bullion

This is far from exhaustive but I've used APMEX extensively.

The other benefit of Eagles is the risk of fraud is much lower when you buy from one of the US Mint dealers.

As I said, everyone will have an opinion but for liquidity and such US Eagles (Gold and Silver) are the way to go. They also have set production numbers and some years have appreciated far more than spot, in other words you may have numismatic value (see 1996 Silver Eagles)

Best
Old 03-05-2023, 10:34 PM   #11
bigdog

Appreciate everyone's feedback, will take suggestions before jumping in with any serious money !

Thanks again !
Old 03-06-2023, 08:46 AM   #12
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by granitebox View Post
For what its worth - everyone has an opinion but here are some dealers that sell US Mint products - the most liquid silver is either US Silver Eagles or US Gold Eagles - they are also commanding the highest premium over spot right now than most other products which reflects the demand for these product and its liquidity. There are a few dealers that sell US Mint products, this is only a short list.

IME gold (I don't have silver data) Eagles sold for about 4-5% over spot before the pandemic, then folks started to talk about the end of days and such and the premium has soared to around 8%, many folks expected this to be short lived but it has endured, there is finally some showing of lessening of demand as shown by the dropping prices of the dealers that are buying back Eagles. It hasn't really shown up in the retail market and its near impossible to time the market but just thought I would share.

Here are some dealers:

APMEX
MCM
SD Bullion
Pinehurst
JM Bullion

This is far from exhaustive but I've used APMEX extensively.

The other benefit of Eagles is the risk of fraud is much lower when you buy from one of the US Mint dealers.

As I said, everyone will have an opinion but for liquidity and such US Eagles (Gold and Silver) are the way to go. They also have set production numbers and some years have appreciated far more than spot, in other words you may have numismatic value (see 1996 Silver Eagles)

Best
The problem I have with eagles especially silver eagles is they are selling for 50% over spot price which is ridiculous in my opinion. If and when the sh*t hits the fan and if our dollar should ever collapse, that 1 oz silver eagle will have no more value than a 1 oz silver ingot... At least gold eagles are selling for on average 8-9% over spot which is much more tolerable.

I think precious metal investors need to ask themselves why are they buying...is it to use as a hedge against inflation therefore somewhat short term?...is it you believe doomsday is coming and our dollar will eventually collapse?...or are you doing it as a long term investment strategy?...

Silver is a very scary investment to me as the lows and highs are way more drastic than gold on a percentage basis. Gold not so much as it has been around since ancient Egypt and before as a source of money and bartering and has always held its own in the long term...

Just my thoughts...

Dan
bigdog (03-06-2023), Biggd (03-06-2023), DRH (03-06-2023)
Old 03-06-2023, 09:30 AM   #13
John Mercier

If the economy collapses, silver isn't really worth anything.
No survivalist thinks in terms of silver.

Shelter, Energy, Water, and Food. Everything else is speculative.
The Following User Says Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post:
DRH (03-06-2023)
Old 03-06-2023, 10:51 AM   #14
bigdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post

I agree with you John, I think if the economy collapses, the things people will hoard is food #1, gasoline, water, etc. The supermarkets will be empty within a few days !
Old 03-06-2023, 04:00 PM   #15
ApS

Thumbs up Wariness Counts...

Silver is too volatile in price. Selling silver involves exact market timing.

Then again, gold coin values are being diluted with gold-plated tungsten.

This counterfeiting has been known for several years--even reputable dealers are being duped. "Gold" coins must be carefully measured, as the counterfeit's weight is imperceptibly close to gold. Even governments are fighting over their gold's purity:

https://www.msn.com/en-au/money/mark...up/ar-AA18gTC4

A few years ago I bought counterfeit Chinese "silver dollars". The Chinese mint did make genuine silver coins about the size of a U.S. silver dollar but featured a dragon on the front. Those I'd bought were advertised as silver-plated novelties! (All were strongly magnetic). At about 25¢ apiece, they made for great curios.

Being smaller, interesting, and attractive on their face, these counterfeits were happily exchanged for larger items at yard sales.
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
Descant (03-06-2023)
Old 03-06-2023, 05:57 PM   #16
granitebox

Quote:

Unfortunately - regardless of this statement this isn't how the world works. Gold and Silver rise in times of uncertainty and folks view these as safe havens. Sometimes its better to just watch rather than apply logic. Gold and Silver are far more liquid than copper, or any other metals or gems.

There is an argument also for tax use of these assets - its a whole different discussion but the retail price of US Eagles and the premiums as a result of turmoil of last 3 years is clear.
The Following User Says Thank You to granitebox For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (03-06-2023)
Old 03-06-2023, 08:29 PM   #17
ApS

Lightbulb Investment vs. Survivalism...

Quote:
No survivalist thinks in terms of silver. Shelter, Energy, Water, and Food. Everything else is speculative.
The OP asked about investment, not survivalism; however, a silver coin might become the commodity to obtain an apple. IMHO, it's good to invest in both, but using one's "discretionary" funds.

If one starts early in their career, their 401(k) can be enriched by physical gold.
--and one's employer can match your contributions! It's tricky territory, though, since gold is inordinately taxed.

https://401ktogold.org/

Plus, the Government knows where the gold is--and can confiscate it--as it famously did during a major collapse:

https://schiffgold.com/key-gold-news...heist-of-1933/
Old 03-07-2023, 08:15 AM   #18
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by granitebox View Post
Unfortunately - regardless of this statement this isn't how the world works. Gold and Silver rise in times of uncertainty and folks view these as safe havens. Sometimes its better to just watch rather than apply logic. Gold and Silver are far more liquid than copper, or any other metals or gems.

There is an argument also for tax use of these assets - its a whole different discussion but the retail price of US Eagles and the premiums as a result of turmoil of last 3 years is clear.
Few metals and gems in a collapse would be worth much...
Survival training has never suggested that we gather from Day One as much silver, gold, other precious metals and gems.

The reality is a collapse is not uncertainty... those are two different things.
Old 03-07-2023, 08:20 AM   #19
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
The OP asked about investment, not survivalism; however, a silver coin might become the commodity to obtain an apple. IMHO, it's good to invest in both, but using one's "discretionary" funds.

If one starts early in their career, their 401(k) can be enriched by physical gold.
--and one's employer can match your contributions! It's tricky territory, though, since gold is inordinately taxed.

https://401ktogold.org/

Plus, the Government knows where the gold is--and can confiscate it--as it famously did during a major collapse:

https://schiffgold.com/key-gold-news...heist-of-1933/
I responded to collapse of civilization... not the value of an investment.
Old 03-07-2023, 08:50 AM   #20
ishoot308

Default ????

Quote:
Few metals and gems in a collapse would be worth much...
Tell that to the people who survived and left Vietnam for other safer parts of Asia after the fall of Saigon, where gold and other precious metals and stones were the only accepted form of payment to smuggle people out of the country to safety.... or the financial crisis' that occurred in South Korea, Argentina and Venezuela... or worse yet the 2008 complete currency crash that occurred in Zimbabwe where only gold was accepted in exchange for food and other necessities...Yeah I know, that can't happen in the USA...

Dan

Edited to add...Here's an excellent 15 minute documentary that talks about the value of gold and how important it became in Vietnam after the fall of Saigon...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TI3rZSZj38

Last edited by ishoot308; 03-07-2023 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-07-2023, 09:23 AM   #21
John Mercier

That would not equate to a collapse of the world economic system... it would simply be an uncertainty.

Precious metals and gems have been used throughout history to store and transport wealth due to compact size and being non-perishable.

Collapse would be more like the ''Walking Dead'' or ''Naked and Afraid''.

Survival training is very specific.
Old 03-07-2023, 09:35 AM   #22
ishoot308

Quote:
That would not equate to a collapse of the world economic system... it would simply be an uncertainty.

Precious metals and gems have been used throughout history to store and transport wealth due to compact size and being non-perishable.

So the complete collapse of a country doesn't count? Gotchya...

Dan
Old 03-07-2023, 10:35 AM   #23
granitebox

Quote:

You keep changing the topic to fit your argument, its time to let this die - Gold and Silver can have multiple uses. If your opinion is it doesn't, you be you.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to granitebox For This Useful Post:
Biggd (03-07-2023), ishoot308 (03-07-2023), pondguy (03-07-2023)
Old 03-07-2023, 12:29 PM   #24
John Mercier

My opinion?
What survival course teaches the students to gather as much gold/silver/gems as possible?

Displacement happens often. People take whatever of value they can carry. But it isn't a collapse.

Look at the historic chart of gold/silver vs even a dynamic asset like stocks in either the Dow or S&P... you'll find the the ratio does invert during times of uncertainty, but they were not times of a collapse.

I haven't move the bar... a collapse is more than just an uncertainty.
Old 03-07-2023, 01:14 PM   #25
granitebox

The topic was simply sources to invest in bullion.

The whole survivalist thing was introduced only as the explanation for the premium on the US Mint Silver Eagles - it will moderate for certain.

Its your opinion that folks don't need silver and it doesnt have value, the market would say otherwise.

Many reputable financial folks, including Warren Buffett would argue having silver (and gold) in your portfolio is good strategy.

In this case, your opinion about the value is flying in the face of what the market is telling us. Would I invest 25% of my savings in Silver or Gold, probably not the best choice but Silver isn't tied to the US Dollar - Metals are a reasonable hedge against market forces.
Old 03-07-2023, 08:33 PM   #26
ApS

Wink Investing in Vinyl and Steel...

Quote:

Collapse would be more like the ''Walking Dead'' or ''Naked and Afraid
''.

]

Three things come to mind:

1) The quote, "When Wall Street sneezes, the rest of the world catches pneumonia".

2) Recent news when: "EMP" and "Balloon" are mentioned in the same sentence.

3) Old cars: They are immune to the effects of EMP, and are outpacing investments in both gold and silver! Mentioned earlier: https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ad.php?t=28373

You'll remember the Volkswagen "Thing" of the 1970s? It's a very basic automobile, reminiscent of the G.I. "Jeep". VW "Things" were selling just a couple of years ago in the low thousands. Yesterday, one was auctioned-off for $26,000!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...gen-thing-101/
Closed Thread