Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2023, 07:41 AM   #1
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Anchorage Property on Winnisquam

Plan for 118 units resort on this once beautiful spot. They are removing valuable topsoil, planned parking for 300 cars, etc. Hopefully, EPA will step in and do a pollution assessment.

I'm glad I could enjoy the lakes before they became overcrowded and commercialized. Greedy developers call this progress. They don't live here and enjoy their fruits elsewhere.

I may be looking to discover the Rangeley Lakes in Maine.

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...aa10b318b.html
Old 02-18-2023, 08:43 AM   #2
John Mercier

That has been in the works for a while now.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 08:58 AM   #3
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

No one complained when Rusty McLear built three beautiful resort properties in Meredith and made the town something to be proud of.
Lake Winnisquam is way overdue for a quality hotel and restaurant complex
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
Biggd (02-18-2023), BoatHouse (02-18-2023), jogator1 (02-18-2023), Longtimelurker (02-18-2023), TiltonBB (02-18-2023)
Old 02-18-2023, 09:03 AM   #4
Susie Cougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
No one complained when Rusty McLear built three beautiful resort properties in Meredith and made the town something to be proud of.
Lake Winnisquam is way overdue for a quality hotel and restaurant complex
Yes. I remember driving past the asbestos factory in Meredith and thinking how incredibly ugly and depressing that town was. Now it is beautiful and to me, one of the best changes they have made around the lake.

I don’t know about Winnisquam but if they did something of the same caliber, maybe it wouldn’t be such a bad thing.
Susie Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 10:46 AM   #5
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

I'd much rather see a nice resort than more condo's!
Biggd is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2023, 11:33 AM   #6
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I'd much rather see a nice resort than more condo's!
Agree. In the application they are approved for 38 boat slips. Have heard little for the purpose for that number. They do have the shoreline to support it, we over here are hoping they are only day docks. No boat racks or boat storage have been disclosed

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 12:25 PM   #7
phoenix

people buy properties to develop and get a return on their investment. The individual towns planning boards are there to make sure the development meets code. Agree with Sam Meredith was an eye sore now it's one of the best towns on the lake.
Old 02-18-2023, 01:01 PM   #8
ApS

Arrow Can't wait...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Cougar View Post
Yes. I remember driving past the asbestos factory in Meredith and thinking how incredibly ugly and depressing that town was. Now it is beautiful and to me, one of the best changes they have made around the lake.

I don’t know about Winnisquam but if they did something of the same caliber, maybe it wouldn’t be such a bad thing.
Yay!

Up next?

Lake Wentworth!

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 11:05 PM   #9
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Plan for 118 units resort on this once beautiful spot. They are removing valuable topsoil, planned parking for 300 cars, etc. Hopefully, EPA will step in and do a pollution assessment.

I'm glad I could enjoy the lakes before they became overcrowded and commercialized. Greedy developers call this progress. They don't live here and enjoy their fruits elsewhere.

I may be looking to discover the Rangeley Lakes in Maine.

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...aa10b318b.html
People go to a place hoping it will never change but their arrival changes the place.
8gv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 09:01 PM   #10
John Mercier

Condominiums could have been used as apartments in the future.
The current estimate is roughly 2000 per year for the next ten years will need to be built in the lakes region to meet housing supply.

I doubt we will be able to meet it without the high density developments.
Old 02-19-2023, 09:57 PM   #11
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
Condominiums could have been used as apartments in the future.
The current estimate is roughly 2000 per year for the next ten years will need to be built in the lakes region to meet housing supply.

I doubt we will be able to meet it without the high density developments.
Waterfront condo's would have to be very high dollar rentals. I doubt that's what towns are looking at to meet housing supply.
Those kind of projects are more affordable away from the lake.
Old 02-20-2023, 07:29 AM   #12
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I'm glad I could enjoy the lakes before they became overcrowded and commercialized.
These towns should ban all new construction the day AFTER my McMansion is built.

I want the area to look the same as the day I moved in.

Where is the petition warrant article to ban all new construction in my town.

Sign me up !
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 07:42 AM   #13
John Mercier

They pull second home demand from the other areas.

Laconia, most noted, has only seen residential population growth of about 2000 people since my birth. It has seen home/condo/etc development in multiples of that number. My guess, as with many, is that the second home market is absorbing all the excess demand.

The high pricing currently seen is a demographic wave phenomena. They figure we can get through most of the Baby Boom retirement pressure by 2035, and that return-to-work will alleviate some of the pressure going forward.
After that, most likely a bust cycle.

Everyone has been turning apartments into condos, and hotel/motels when possible. But the hotel/motel design always seems to need costly rebuilds for them to work in the manner of longer term rentals. I think a hotel/motel is a means to bet that the AirBnb pushback will be stronger. But it makes since to allow ''resort'' locations to be AirBnB.

Each build on the Winni Basin Project is going to put more pressure on the system, so flexibility to avoid a massive upgrade will be key.
Old 02-20-2023, 08:28 AM   #14
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
These towns should ban all new construction the day AFTER my McMansion is built.

I want the area to look the same as the day I moved in.

Where is the petition warrant article to ban all new construction in my town.

Sign me up !
Sarcasm is all well and good. But, I see little to no need to tweak zoning laws to accommodate other’s wishes. Many of us relocated here because of its rural setting. Now, because some feel waiting 45 minutes for a dinner table is unacceptable we have to build multiple housing units. One’s business model must reflect the limitations of the area’s workforce. Enough said, coffee is done!

WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
ApS (02-20-2023)
Old 02-20-2023, 09:05 AM   #15
John Mercier

We can't adjust the business models... the only room in such would be customer efficiency... not something the broader public understands.
Old 02-20-2023, 09:13 AM   #16
Biggd

Quote:
We can't adjust the business models... the only room in such would be customer efficiency... not something the broader public understands.
Of course you can adjust business models, it happens all the time. During the pandemic many businesses had to adjust their business model just to stay alive.
Old 02-20-2023, 09:47 AM   #17
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
Sarcasm is all well and good. But, I see little to no need to tweak zoning laws to accommodate other’s wishes. Many of us relocated here because of its rural setting. Now, because some feel waiting 45 minutes for a dinner table is unacceptable we have to build multiple housing units. One’s business model must reflect the limitations of the area’s workforce. Enough said, coffee is done!

Agreed. There's something messed up about moving to a beautiful place and then wanting to change it into something else. McMansions and big condos are both wrong for idyllic areas. Although some level of growth and development is inevitable, and replacing a mess in Meredith was obviously a good thing, we should be doing whatever we can can to preserve what we all love about Winni.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
ApS (02-21-2023)
Old 02-20-2023, 10:09 AM   #18
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Of course you can adjust business models, it happens all the time. During the pandemic many businesses had to adjust their business model just to stay alive.
Labor adjustments require customer efficiency.
During the pandemic, customer efficiency was forced by take-out.
Retail went to on-line and delivery. Some went to a no return policy.

The present system is working on just not servicing the inefficient customers due to the lack of labor.

I see that even at the Belmont Town Hall, where they now close for lunch.

Last Saturday, I had a customer request that we stay open more hours on the weekend - adjust to the customer rather than the customer adjust to the situation. Since I am the youngest person in the store on the weekends, and already work Monday through Saturday... even though I have more than enough to retire. It simply would not work. Higher efficiency for me would be to shutdown on the weekends and just stay open an extra hour during the weekdays.

A business model change, as you suggest, is really about changing the customers. No more eating in - just take out. No more meandering through the store, you need to know what you need and order on-line or over the phone for curbside. Knowing that you may need something for a project and it is going to take a couple days to get to you rather than be right at hand.
Old 02-20-2023, 02:56 PM   #19
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Agreed. There's something messed up about moving to a beautiful place and then wanting to change it into something else. McMansions and big condos are both wrong for idyllic areas. Although some level of growth and development is inevitable, and replacing a mess in Meredith was obviously a good thing, we should be doing whatever we can can to preserve what we all love about Winni.
Make the lake non-motorized, or very small HP motors, demand pressure would drop fairly quickly.
Old 02-20-2023, 06:37 PM   #20
Patofnaud

"seeking to build a 118-room resort with 39 dock slips, two ballrooms, and a restaurant and bar, requiring about 300 parking spaces"

As a Tilton resident, I would much rather see this than condos or lord forbid storage buildings... Real resorts are staffed and can toss unruly folks to the curb.

If they do not pull a 'Margate' I am sure the folks who boat on Winninsquam would be happy to have a 200X increase in available restaurants they can boat and dock to access.

My only worry is increased STREET load as that is a single lane each way corner. Driving from Laconia to downtown Tilton is already about a 12-light venture.
Patofnaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 07:42 PM   #21
camp guy

Default Anchorage Property on Winnisquam

Interesting thing about people...they don't like where they are, so, they move here (Lakes Region), settle in, then decide they don't like where they are, and want to make us change so they will like it. I have a very simple answer, go back where you came from and leave us alone.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to camp guy For This Useful Post:
ApS (02-21-2023), bigdog (02-21-2023), BroadHopper (02-21-2023), Grandpa Redneck (02-21-2023), tis (02-27-2023)
Old 02-20-2023, 08:22 PM   #22
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
Interesting thing about people...they don't like where they are, so, they move here (Lakes Region), settle in, then decide they don't like where they are, and want to make us change so they will like it. I have a very simple answer, go back where you came from and leave us alone.
Change is a fact of life, it's going to happen whether you like it or not.
Old 02-21-2023, 05:19 AM   #23
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
I agree. They move here because the taxes are lower, then they decide they want more services which results in more taxes.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (02-21-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 09:06 AM   #24
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
A great example are the 'Free Staters'.
Old 02-21-2023, 10:25 AM   #25
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

The lake and surrounding towns are prospering. The undesired effect, is more people, which means more development. While to some the Meredith revival is wonderful, to others it was simply to much. Much like the OP, I myself am considering how much longer I will want to stay with the NH lake Region as my summer destination. Fortunately I am up in Moultonborough which is moving at a bit slower pace.

While as a General Rule I don't have a problem with continued development, what I don't like seeing is the effect that it is having on the lake itself. While by all extents the lake is still beautiful and healthy.... there are many things going on, that tell me the lake is declining, the development means more contamination... We now see things on the lake that we didn't see for years, beach closures etc.

What is the proper balance, I certainly do not know.... what I do know is that continued development over time, is going to come with a price to the health of the lakes....
ApS (02-21-2023), Jeanzb1 (02-22-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 11:56 AM   #26
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofnaud View Post
"seeking to build a 118-room resort with 39 dock slips, two ballrooms, and a restaurant and bar, requiring about 300 parking spaces"

As a Tilton resident, I would much rather see this than condos or lord forbid storage buildings... Real resorts are staffed and can toss unruly folks to the curb.

If they do not pull a 'Margate' I am sure the folks who boat on Winninsquam would be happy to have a 200X increase in available restaurants they can boat and dock to access.

My only worry is increased STREET load as that is a single lane each way corner. Driving from Laconia to downtown Tilton is already about a 12-light venture.
I think at first they were just going to update the cottage colony. It will be interesting to see the additional pressure on the labor force in Tilton.
Old 02-21-2023, 04:00 PM   #27
bigdog

When I see these new developments popping up all-around the lake, I'm thinking island life is becoming more appealing ! (at least during summer months).
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 08:54 PM   #28
ApS

Unhappy Kakistocracies Ahead...

Quote:
Where they came from is governed by idiots.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
Jeanzb1 (02-22-2023)
Old 02-22-2023, 09:10 AM   #29
John Mercier

According to the numbers, all the Northeast States have positive growth since the last census, and all of them had positive growth last year.

MA actually had 50% more population growth than NH last year...
And RI and NY grew at relatively the same rate.

The only thing NH is winning the battle on is that we are getting an older population based on median age.
Old 02-22-2023, 11:53 AM   #30
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
According to the numbers, all the Northeast States have positive growth since the last census, and all of them had positive growth last year.

MA actually had 50% more population growth than NH last year...
And RI and NY grew at relatively the same rate.

The only thing NH is winning the battle on is that we are getting an older population based on median age.
Not according to Boston.com (The Globe)https://www.boston.com/news/the-bost...1=hp_secondary
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (02-22-2023)
Old 02-22-2023, 01:06 PM   #31
John Mercier

https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...growing-states

The bottom lists each State. Growth Rate for 2023, growth since 2010, and 2023 population.

The Boston links has this at the chart if we look closely. ''New Hampshire and Florida were top destinations for people leaving the Bay State, according to IRS change-of-address data from 2019 to 2020.''

They use an IRS change of address to determine the flow, and have data for 2019 and 2020.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post:
ApS (02-22-2023), TheTimeTraveler (02-22-2023), upthesaukee (02-22-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 09:10 PM   #32
Skippermark

Quote:
Where I live there's a medium sized general aviation airport nearby that was built over 100 years ago. Yeah, the planes have gotten bigger and jets frequently use it now, but none of us old timers really made a fuss over it. In fact, many of us enjoyed driving to the airport on a warm Saturday afternoon to sit and watch the planes take off and land as the pilots practiced their touch 'n goes.

Recently, however, there's been tremendous pressure to shut down the airport shut down, and I couldn't figure out why until it clicked one day. As we older folks sell our houses and move on to our next phase in life, it's the new generation buying our houses who don't like the airport.

Kind of blows my mind that someone would move to an area knowing there's an airport nearby and then demand that it be shut down. If they didn't want to be near an airport, they shouldn't have moved here.

I know this doesn't really have much to do with the original post, but your reply made me want to tell this story.
Skippermark is offline   Reply With Quote