Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Automotive
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2022, 10:54 AM   #1
AC2717

Default Need a Car Mechanic on this one

If I have a CA emissions compliant vehicle and I need to replace the Catalytic converter on my vehicle. Does it have to be a CA emission compliant converter for a replacement if I do not live in CA nor have any plans of ever registering the car in CA.

I know there is a difference in the internal make up of the catilytic convertors (CA compliant and non-CA Compliant) with the metals used.

My question is more to all the sensors (O2, Mass Airflow, and others). If I replace the Converter in this case with a Non Compliant CA converter will it throw a engine code or cause the vehicle to not operate correctly. I do not know if the engine computer system/sensors also operate differently on a CA compliant vehicle vs. a non compliant vehicle.

for reference: it is a 2001 Toyota Camry LE V6 3.0L Automatic Trans, with 150k on it that is my kid's car.
Old 04-27-2022, 11:57 AM   #2
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Toyota catylyst

Toyotas are wicked expensive! 2004 Avalon was $1200 for parts alone! That's from an indie! Irwin is twice that!

Before you decide to bite the bullet, have the oxygen sensors replaced and check again. Many times that solve the problem.

Don't know about Toyotas but my 2005 MB CC and 2014 Audi CC are the same in all 50 states. The allroad was a CA car. German Motorsports says there is no difference.

I went to Laconia Garage for the Toyota, the owner teaches at the community center and certifies technicians for Toyota. Give Neal a call.
Old 04-27-2022, 12:26 PM   #3
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Toyotas are wicked expensive! 2004 Avalon was $1200 for parts alone! That's from an indie! Irwin is twice that!

Before you decide to bite the bullet, have the oxygen sensors replaced and check again. Many times that solve the problem.

Don't know about Toyotas but my 2005 MB CC and 2014 Audi CC are the same in all 50 states. The allroad was a CA car. German Motorsports says there is no difference.

I went to Laconia Garage for the Toyota, the owner teaches at the community center and certifies technicians for Toyota. Give Neal a call.
thank you, I already have diagnosed into needing to Cats, they are stuffed
Old 04-27-2022, 06:39 PM   #4
Poor Richard

Rock Auto?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...converter,5808

EPA vs CARB compliant catalytic converters

Doubtful a code will be thrown and emissions aren't tested in NH
Poor Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Poor Richard For This Useful Post:
The Real BigGuy (04-29-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 06:46 PM   #5
Flyfisha

Emissions/On-Board Diagnostics (OBD)
In addition to a physical safety inspection required for all vehicles, pursuant to RSA 266:59-b IV, vehicles less than 20 years old must have an On-Board Diagnostics (OBD) test as part of the inspection process. On-Board Diagnostics is a computer-based system built into all 1996 and newer light-duty passenger vehicles to monitor the performance of some of the engine's major components, including emission control components. The OBD system helps the motorist know if their vehicle has a defect that could cause excess pollution. In addition, it helps mechanics accurately diagnose problems and make effective vehicle repairs
Flyfisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2022, 06:42 AM   #6
Poor Richard

The ECU monitors sensor parameters in order to stay within its calibration range for emissions standards.

Emissions in particular in NH is not tested (sniffer in the tailpipe) only readiness monitors in the ECU (ie: Check Engine Light) which is not emissions testing.
Old 04-28-2022, 07:40 AM   #7
AC2717

hi ,
has nothing to do with passing emissions tests or anything like that, I am asking if the car will throw a code due to having a different type of converter in it and/or will it cause a problem for the sensors (O2s, Mass air flow, and others)
jbolty (05-05-2022)
Old 04-28-2022, 09:31 AM   #8
1helpfulhandyman

My 2004 Toyota Highlander was suddenly throwing a code saying the cat was bad. A $4.00 90 degree fitting to get the o2 sensor out of the exhaust stream fixed the problem. As some cars get older they sense the o2 is right on the line and throw the cat code. Just moving the sensor out of the direct exhaust flow solves the problem. You may have to drive a couple hundred miles until the computer resets the code and the light goes out. A 4 dollar part solved my problem instead of a new cat. You cant accurately diagnose the condition af a cat until you take it out and examine the inside. I would try the 4 dollar part first. Youtube it, theres plenty of videos about this quick fix.
1helpfulhandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 11:02 AM   #9
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1helpfulhandyman View Post
My 2004 Toyota Highlander was suddenly throwing a code saying the cat was bad. A $4.00 90 degree fitting to get the o2 sensor out of the exhaust stream fixed the problem. As some cars get older they sense the o2 is right on the line and throw the cat code. Just moving the sensor out of the direct exhaust flow solves the problem. You may have to drive a couple hundred miles until the computer resets the code and the light goes out. A 4 dollar part solved my problem instead of a new cat. You cant accurately diagnose the condition af a cat until you take it out and examine the inside. I would try the 4 dollar part first. Youtube it, theres plenty of videos about this quick fix.
Thank you, tried this one, im down to the last move which is the cats
Old 04-28-2022, 01:03 PM   #10
steve-on-mark

If it's a cat efficiency code, I've had some success running a few tanks of Shell V Power gas through it...all about the cleaning additives.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 04-28-2022, 02:52 PM   #11
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-on-mark View Post
If it's a cat efficiency code, I've had some success running a few tanks of Shell V Power gas through it...all about the cleaning additives.

I had some success pouring a 'catalyst cleaner' I found at Autozone. Can't recall the name but it is located where the fuel injector cleaners are. Pour the can into your gas, burn a tank full. If the CEL light is still on. Disconnect the battery for a few minutes to rest the OBD. Start it up and if okay. Get it inspected. Should stay off long enough for the process.
Old 04-29-2022, 06:05 AM   #12
Poor Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
hi ,
has nothing to do with passing emissions tests or anything like that, I am asking if the car will throw a code due to having a different type of converter in it and/or will it cause a problem for the sensors (O2s, Mass air flow, and others)
The only sensors that matter in this question are the O2.

As far as throwing codes with a non-CARB compliant system, can't say for certain but I'd put my money on "no".
Old 05-05-2022, 02:26 PM   #13
jbolty

Quote:
hi ,
No. the only difference between them is a fat bribe paid to CA in order to get a little number stamped into one of them.
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 10:07 PM   #14
steve-on-mark

Quote:
hi ,

Actually, it can...some aftermarket cats don't clean as well as the OEM parts...would probably store a cat efficiency code though.

Old 05-09-2022, 07:45 AM   #15
AC2717

after much research and debate, it was found that yes it would make a difference on the ECM and sensor. Also as long as the system is set up for CA compliance it would work just fine. The compliant stamp is not needed (and garbage as mentioned above), but the set up and parts need to be the same. YOu can purchase CA emissions set up products that are not CA emission compliant because they did not go through the approval process (pay the fee to CA basically)
Old 05-10-2022, 06:35 AM   #16
loony

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1helpfulhandyman View Post
I used a "spark plug non fouler" on my 1999 Camry v6 and it worked. They can be found at many auto parts stores. Took about 10 minutes to install. Make sure you get the right size.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/i...1/ebd2ebf2935a
loony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 07:01 AM   #17
RTTOOL
Banned

Quote:
If I have a CA emissions compliant vehicle and I need to replace the Catalytic converter on my vehicle. Does it have to be a CA emission compliant converter for a replacement if I do not live in CA nor have any plans of ever registering the car in CA.

I know there is a difference in the internal make up of the catilytic convertors (CA compliant and non-CA Compliant) with the metals used.

My question is more to all the sensors (O2, Mass Airflow, and others). If I replace the Converter in this case with a Non Compliant CA converter will it throw a engine code or cause the vehicle to not operate correctly. I do not know if the engine computer system/sensors also operate differently on a CA compliant vehicle vs. a non compliant vehicle.

for reference: it is a 2001 Toyota Camry LE V6 3.0L Automatic Trans, with 150k on it that is my kid's car.
after a car is 20 years old in N.H. the car does not go threw OBD TEST. just a safety check...
RTTOOL is offline   Reply With Quote