Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Getting Here
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2015, 08:28 AM   #1
camp guy

Default Tappan Zee Bridge

I realize that the Tappan Zee Bridge isn't in the Lakes Region, but a lot of Lakes Region visitors use the Tap to get here.

I am about to set out on a road trip and my route will use the Tap to get across the river and down into New Jersey. Yesterday, somebody mentioned to me that there is construction under way in that area, and that maybe I should re-route myself. I do not want to use the GW.

Any suggestions, and, thanks in advance.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:24 AM   #2
nhboat61

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
I realize that the Tappan Zee Bridge isn't in the Lakes Region, but a lot of Lakes Region visitors use the Tap to get here.

I am about to set out on a road trip and my route will use the Tap to get across the river and down into New Jersey. Yesterday, somebody mentioned to me that there is construction under way in that area, and that maybe I should re-route myself. I do not want to use the GW.

Any suggestions, and, thanks in advance.
If you want to avoid the TAP, take NYS Thruway north to I 84 in Newburg and take the Beacon/Newburg bridge. You can then take 84 all the way to the MASS Pike.

Little longer, but less $$ for tolls and lot less traffic.
nhboat61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:29 AM   #3
depasseg

I don't know the construction details, but if you have a smartphone, I highly recommend using the Google Maps app and the Waze app. They both take current traffic conditions into account when giving you directions. Waze allows others to post about other concerns (accident locations, police, construction, etc).
depasseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:33 AM   #4
Dave R

The construction is for the new bridge that will parallel the Tappan Zee, I was there a month ago and it does not affect the traffic on the Tappan Zee at all. there might be some other construction I am not aware of, but AFAIK, all lanes are still open.

On a Winni-related note, I spent the night aboard my boat (that spends a large amount of time on Winni) just below the Tappan Zee bridge at the Tarrytown Yacht club last Summer. My wife and I did a two day/210 mile trip down the Hudson, around Manhattan and back up the Hudson and it was great fun. We trailered the boat to Saugerties for launching and left the trailer at a marina overnight. If you can navigate Winnipesaukee, this trip is a piece of cake.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:18 AM   #5
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

When we came through in April the Newburg Bridge had construction going on too.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2015, 12:37 PM   #6
Denis D

We live about 20 minutes from the Tap and cross it all the time on our trips to the lake. As Dave R said, the construction is for a new bridge parallel to the old one and when we last crossed it about a month ago, there was no affect on traffic. Much better than the GWB.

It is also an interesting sight to see all of the barges and cranes in the river doing the construction and the highlight is the HUGE super crane called "I Lift NY". Quite a sight to see.

here is more info:

http://gizmodo.com/i-lift-ny-meet-th...e-t-1651862140

Denis D
Old 06-17-2015, 01:36 PM   #7
Resident 2B

I drove out to Long Pond, PA for the NASCAR race at Pocono less than two weeks ago. Took the Tap out and I-84 back.

The construction on the new bridge just north of the Tap has no impact on traffic flow on the Tap.

Returning from the race on Sunday, Waze told us to go I-84. The Tap had traffic according to Waze. I-84 had a lot of construction west of the river and the bridge had construction closing half the lanes, mainly the left lanes. So, there is a negative impact due to construction on I-84 in NY. We lost 45 minutes to traffic between the Newburg bridge construction and the construction west of the bridge.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 02:11 PM   #8
Billd72

Default Alternate Route

Going to NH from NJ I would take I 87 (NYS Thruway) to I 90 just below Albany and take I90 east where it becomes the Mass Pike.
Billd72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 02:25 PM   #9
Kamper

I like the Stuart/Newburg bridge too. When going through NY/NJ, if you are towing, remember not all their roads permit trailers. In NY, I believe "Parkways" are passenger vehicles only. In NJ, I am less certain but the Turnpike authority web-site will tell which road is ok.

If you take the Pike to I87, you are going up an hour or so that you will have to recover, going south. Or vice-versa.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:10 AM   #10
Pineedles

Some people have an aversion to the GW Bridge, but most of the angst is dealing with the Cross Bronx Expressway, which can be bumper to bumper till you get to the bridge, then it opens up frequently. If you are not trailering, I would suggest you try the Saw Mill Parkway. This will lead you directly to the GW and traffic is usually light.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:47 AM   #11
camp guy

Default Tappan Zee Bridge

Thank you all for the information about the Tappan Zee Bridge construction.

Enjoy the summer.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:33 AM   #12
Tired of Waiting

Default Pins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
Some people have an aversion to the GW Bridge, but most of the angst is dealing with the Cross Bronx Expressway, which can be bumper to bumper till you get to the bridge, then it opens up frequently. If you are not trailering, I would suggest you try the Saw Mill Parkway. This will lead you directly to the GW and traffic is usually light.
I'm not completely sure but doesn't the Saw Mill take you to the Tap? When I go to my brothers in Maryland I take the Saw Mill down and over to the Tap.

ToW
Tired of Waiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 02:12 PM   #13
Pineedles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of Waiting View Post
I'm not completely sure but doesn't the Saw Mill take you to the Tap? When I go to my brothers in Maryland I take the Saw Mill down and over to the Tap.

ToW
Yes it does, but then it continues down the Hudson to the GW. It becomes the Henry Hudson Parkway. Sorry, should have included that. Thanks TOW.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:21 AM   #14
Tired of Waiting

Default I didn't know that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
Yes it does, but then it continues down the Hudson to the GW. It becomes the Henry Hudson Parkway. Sorry, should have included that. Thanks TOW.
Pins,

I didn't know the Saw continued down the Hudson. I always get off and go to the Tap.

Cool, I lernt sumptin today

ToW
Tired of Waiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:30 AM   #15
Pineedles

My pleasure sir. There is a toll on the Henry Hudson Bridge of I think a dollar in both directions, but that is probably why it is less crowded.