Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2022, 10:52 AM   #1
garysanfran

Default Live free or die...

Where does New Hampshire stand on the freedom index for its citizens compared to 49 other states? The CATO Institute weighs in...

https://www.freedominthe50states.org/
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to garysanfran For This Useful Post:
Descant (01-15-2022), phoenix (01-15-2022), trfour (01-15-2022)
Old 01-15-2022, 12:51 PM   #2
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

I wonder how many people think they're from NH but claim residence in FL for tax purposes? Will the pending phase out of the I & D Tax slow the outflow?
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 01:29 PM   #3
John Mercier

I think they have a second home in Florida because they cannot handle the cold; and claim residency there for the homestead exemption.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post:
DotRat (01-15-2022)
Old 01-15-2022, 01:35 PM   #4
Descant

Default Homestead exemption

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
I think they have a second home in Florida because they cannot handle the cold; and claim residency there for the homestead exemption.
Good point. NH should have that. Any state reps out there listening?
Old 01-15-2022, 02:35 PM   #5
John Mercier

Because the wording and structure of Part First 28-A... the State could only exempt the SWPT part of the property tax. Something I think they already do for a certain level of household income.

It is why certain municipalities have threatened to sue on the issue of Current Use; and why municipalities are reviewing their short term rental regulations.

Technically, if the local politicians were not such crony wonks, an AirBnB-type situation for any amount of time would be treated as a commercial B&B... which the State of NH does for purposes of the Meals & Rental tax.

It makes no sense for those of us investing to purchase/develop hotels, motels, or traditional B&Bs if we are going to have licensing, taxation, and regulations (including zoning) that is more stringent than a homeowner competing with us for some easy cash.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (01-15-2022), Descant (01-15-2022)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2022, 02:43 PM   #6
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Talk about crony wonks Politics

Live free and die doing it.

https://read.nhbr.com/nh-business-re...rticle=3922730
Descant (01-15-2022)
Old 01-15-2022, 03:14 PM   #7
phoenix

interesting and not surprised.
Old 01-15-2022, 04:10 PM   #8
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
The worst thing about these guys is that they cause decent competent people to quit in disgust, as we just saw at Gunstock
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 05:42 PM   #9
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
That is true! There are many advantages. Some people are able to enjoy boating 12 months a year instead of just seasonally.

In most cases you have to work a lot of years and be retired before you can become a snowbird. Although, the remote work thing is opening up that possibility for many younger people.

Just under 1,000 people a day are moving into the Florida and making the state their primary residence.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 10:55 PM   #10
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
The worst thing about these guys is that they cause decent competent people to quit in disgust, as we just saw at Gunstock
It is a $100 a year job with lots of hours... it doesn't exactly attract our best and brightest.
The Following User Says Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (01-16-2022)
Old 01-15-2022, 10:58 PM   #11
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
That is true! There are many advantages. Some people are able to enjoy boating 12 months a year instead of just seasonally.

In most cases you have to work a lot of years and be retired before you can become a snowbird. Although, the remote work thing is opening up that possibility for many younger people.

Just under 1,000 people a day are moving into the Florida and making the state their primary residence.
I don't see it as an advantage... I see it as a weakness.
Old 01-16-2022, 07:08 AM   #12
TiltonBB

Quote:
I don't see it as an advantage... I see it as a weakness.
Interesting perspective.

I see it as a preference. After 56 years of New England winters I gave my snowblower away and have not looked back. I realized that I had spent half of every year wishing it would be summer again. In past years, I have skied, and owned several snowmobiles but that was really just to pass the time until summer came back.

I really enjoy being on the water and and warm and sunny weather and now that opportunity is available 12 months a year. It is definitely a choice that I am glad I made. There is a reason they call Florida "God's Waiting Room".

You don't hear of many people from the southern states retiring and going to New England for their retirement years. You do hear of many northern people getting Seasonal Affective Disorder from the weather and cloudy gray skies.

To each their own.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
garysanfran (01-16-2022), indian (01-17-2022)
Old 01-16-2022, 09:13 AM   #13
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Interesting perspective.

I see it as a preference. After 56 years of New England winters I gave my snowblower away and have not looked back. I realized that I had spent half of every year wishing it would be summer again. In past years, I have skied, and owned several snowmobiles but that was really just to pass the time until summer came back.

I really enjoy being on the water and and warm and sunny weather and now that opportunity is available 12 months a year. It is definitely a choice that I am glad I made. There is a reason they call Florida "God's Waiting Room".

You don't hear of many people from the southern states retiring and going to New England for their retirement years. You do hear of many northern people getting Seasonal Affective Disorder from the weather and cloudy gray skies.

To each their own.
This is a matter of psychology. Those who prosper in cold climates, such as those in Scandinavian countries (who have much lower rates of seasonal depression), have a different perspective: the weather allows them to do activities that warm weather doesn't.

For example, you appreciate that warm weather allows you to boat while I appreciate that cold weather allows me to winter hike, snowshoe, ice skate, take sleigh rides, tube and ski, sit by a warm fire and drink hot cocoa, etc.

Add to that that Florida is so goddamn flat—precluding mountain biking, hiking, backpacking, etc.—and there's not much to do other than be hot and old.

JK, of course, but people definitely have to find their happiness...and mindset is a major aspect of that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
SailinAway (01-16-2022)
Old 01-16-2022, 10:11 AM   #14
8gv

To everything AND everyone, a season.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 10:32 AM   #15
Descant

Default Conversation starters?

When you meet somebody in FL, the standard is "Where are you from". In NH, it's "What do you do?" And yes, some people like to boat year round, but many come north so they don't have to share the pool with snakes and 'gators and to get away from the oppressive heat and humidity.
Old 01-16-2022, 01:10 PM   #16
NH.Solar

For an interesting read on a recent (and largely unknown) NH political episode pick up a copy of Matthew Honglytz-Hetling's book "A Libertarian Walks Into A Bear". I am admittedly a staunch old NH conservative (“That government is best which governs least”) but this should prove to be a fascinating read for liberals and conservatives alike.
Old 01-16-2022, 01:26 PM   #17
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
This is a matter of psychology. Those who prosper in cold climates, such as those in Scandinavian countries (who have much lower rates of seasonal depression), have a different perspective: the weather allows them to do activities that warm weather doesn't.

For example, you appreciate that warm weather allows you to boat while I appreciate that cold weather allows me to winter hike, snowshoe, ice skate, take sleigh rides, tube and ski, sit by a warm fire and drink hot cocoa, etc.

Add to that that Florida is so goddamn flat—precluding mountain biking, hiking, backpacking, etc.—and there's not much to do other than be hot and old.

JK, of course, but people definitely have to find their happiness...and mindset is a major aspect of that.
Hilarious! I used to detest winter, until I learned to ski at age 50. I'm sure tropical landscapes are beautiful, but nothing beats going up the lift at Gunstock the morning after a heavy snowfall. The evergreens and snow contrast against the bright blue sky. You get to the top and look down on Winnipesaukee and the mountains beyond. You glide down the mountain in big S curves with that view all the way down.

To me a livable climate is one where you can go outdoors in relative comfort most of the year. That rules out an awful lot of days in Florida. Would you rather go hiking in Florida when it's 90 degrees with 95% humidity, or in New Hampshire when it's 30 degrees and sunny?

Gotta run---temperature is up to 20 in the sun, warm enough for a lovely walk in the woods.
SailinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 01:47 PM   #18
John Mercier

That is why I see it as a weakness.

When they present it, they are escaping the cold... or in reverse escaping the heat. They are not embracing the seasonal changes in the area and enjoying the change of activity. They are running from it.
Old 01-16-2022, 09:57 PM   #19
garysanfran

You can dress to extremes to address extreme cold. You can only undress so far to address heat.
The Following User Says Thank You to garysanfran For This Useful Post:
SailinAway (01-19-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 09:05 AM   #20
LakeDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
You can dress to extremes to address extreme cold. You can only undress so far to address heat.
This. 29 years in FL and, aside from AC and your pool, there is no escape from the heat. It sucks the life out of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LakeDad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LakeDad For This Useful Post:
I.C.Isles (01-17-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 09:10 AM   #21
LakeDad

Quote:

When they present it, they are escaping the cold... or in reverse escaping the heat. They are not embracing the seasonal changes in the area and enjoying the change of activity. They are running from it.
It’s pretty judgmental to call this a “weakness”.
It’s simply a luxury some can afford. Nothing weak about it.

I’ll probably do 3 months per year in FL at some stage.
I’ve camped in extreme climates, skiied the backs of mountains, been to the peak at -30, etc.

But at the end of the day, if I can get 3 extra months of boating, I’m taking it.

TiltonBB (01-17-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 10:00 AM   #22
rsmlp

Default all true

Quote:

And we're smarter and richer than you...
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 12:21 PM   #23
gillygirl

Quote:

I moved to FL to escape the lack of sunshine. For the 10 day period starting Christmas Eve, Blue Hills Observatory recorded only 62 minutes of sunshine. You can call it a weakness. I call it a strength to recognize what your body needs and do something about it.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
TiltonBB (01-17-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 01:59 PM   #24
John Mercier

Lots of us here and even further north have a lack of sustained sunshine.
Seems we live to a nice old age without any serious effects.
Old 01-17-2022, 02:45 PM   #25
BroadHopper

Default Not escaping anything

Condo in Lakes Region, condo in Sarasota County. Travel a lot in the RV. Come to think of it I only spend a few months in Fl and NH. Mostly in the RV. So I can claim either state as permanent? Love the 'gypsy' life!

The way I see it I am in NH during the voting month, November. So I declare residency in NH to vote!
Old 01-17-2022, 03:33 PM   #26
Descant

Default Budget?

If you "live" in an SB2 town you can vote absentee in March/April and have a say in the local budget, and thus your local taxes. You can also vote absentee in the September primary.

If the current proposed national voting law is passed, it sounds like you can vote in several places, same day registration, no ID. This is especially fun in the primaries which are held at different times in different states. As with many other things, NH is first in the nation for the presidential primaries. It is not unheard of for "volunteer" campaign workers to register and vote in NH and then move to another sate as they follow their candidate around the country. Every vote counts, right?
Old 01-17-2022, 05:55 PM   #27
TiltonBB

Quote:
No serious effects? Really?

In 2020 New Hampshire had the highest alcohol consumption per capita in the country. And that was not the first year NH has won that honor.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...ption-by-state

New Hampshiire comes in third for per capita opiod abuse.

https://www.drugabuse.gov/drug-topic...aries-by-state

I guess there is not much else to do on those long winter nights! Here in Florida we go out for a walk after dinner because it is still light out.
Old 01-17-2022, 06:02 PM   #28
LakeDad

My philosophy is simple:

Live where, when and how you want to live.
I’ll have a drink with you when we happen to be in the same place.
Typecasting regions or criticizing people who think differently? That’s for angry, old guys

Winnigirl (01-18-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 06:06 PM   #29
John Mercier

Quote:
No serious effects? Really?

In 2020 New Hampshire had the highest alcohol consumption per capita in the country. And that was not the first year NH has won that honor.

New Hampshiire comes in third for per capita opiod abuse.

https://www.drugabuse.gov/drug-topic...aries-by-state

I guess there is not much else to do on those long winter nights! Here in Florida we go out for a walk after dinner because it is still light out.
A lack of sunshine makes you an alcoholic or drug abuser... definitely weak.
Old 01-17-2022, 06:09 PM   #30
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
If you "live" in an SB2 town you can vote absentee in March/April and have a say in the local budget, and thus your local taxes. You can also vote absentee in the September primary.

If the current proposed national voting law is passed, it sounds like you can vote in several places, same day registration, no ID. This is especially fun in the primaries which are held at different times in different states. As with many other things, NH is first in the nation for the presidential primaries. It is not unheard of for "volunteer" campaign workers to register and vote in NH and then move to another sate as they follow their candidate around the country. Every vote counts, right?
You can already do that with a simple declaration of residency for most of the primaries. NH has SDR with no ID... at least not the ID you're thinking of.
It was chosen over motor-voter decades ago.
Old 01-17-2022, 08:37 PM   #31
TiltonBB

I can respect that people like the mountains, like to hike, like to ice skate, or whatever their pleasure is. I have no need to criticize their choices, the differences in people is what makes the world work.

I would never call someone weak because they do not enjoy the things that I enjoy. It is all about choices and I am glad the we have the opportunity to make our own choices.

I get to see a lot of the lake and the mountains for a large portion of every year. I have been on the lake some part, or all, of every summer since 1970.

At this time I am happy for the opportunity to enjoy year round living with no snow and ice. I understand that it doesn't work for everyone and have no need to disparage anyone who would not want this lifestyle. It works for me.

Views like this, that I am fortunate to see all winter long, are uplifting to me every bit as much as someone else might like to see newly fallen snow or fresh powder on a ski trail. To each their own.
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2022, 10:48 PM   #32
gillygirl

Quote:

Everyone is different. The chemistry of my brain insists on more sunshine. You should feel fortunate that you don’t have that issue rather than judging others.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
TiltonBB (01-18-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 10:49 PM   #33
John Mercier

It has nothing to do with enjoyment. I can find lots of primary homes that I can boat year round.

The movement from north to south is largely an escape from the weather.
Old 01-17-2022, 11:13 PM   #34
Descant

Default conmsumption?

Tilton BB: Interesting parallel. The only summer I messed on the lake was also 1970--Navy flight training in Pensacola, FL.

In the meantime, don't confuse high alcohol purchases with consumption. Those border stores and the ones in Hooksett sell a lot of product to non-residents.
Old 01-17-2022, 11:20 PM   #35
LakeDad

Quote:
It has nothing to do with enjoyment. I can find lots of primary homes that I can boat year round.

The movement from north to south is largely an escape from the weather.
Gonna die on that hill today, eh?
You’re such a tough ‘ol guy! No weather can stop you!
Really showing those snowbirds what it means to be a REAL man.

Hilarious.

TiltonBB (01-18-2022)
Old 01-18-2022, 06:12 AM   #36
BroadHopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeDad View Post

Hilarious.

Three good friends of mine from the Laconia area actually died with their ski boots on! I really envy those guys! Especially when one was on a training event for the US Ski Team! I'm still skiing the same mountain since 1957!
Old 01-18-2022, 07:37 AM   #37
fatlazyless

Quote:

NH 77-state liquor stores all across the state; with such low, low prices and big, big selection, it encourages people to drink ... buy low, drink big!

Lowest price, highest quality ...... N.H. State Liquor ...... I'll drink to that! .....

https://www.vnews.com/Expanded-NH-li...sales-40759794 .... New Hampshire - Vermont ..... " border a booze battleground" .... 3-photos .... June 5, 2021
Old 01-18-2022, 07:57 AM   #38
LakeDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Three good friends of mine from the Laconia area actually died with their ski boots on! I really envy those guys! Especially when one was on a training event for the US Ski Team! I'm still skiing the same mountain since 1957!
Do you ski uphill in 5 feet of snow?

Old 01-18-2022, 08:01 AM   #39
LakeDad

Default Live free or die...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
NH 77-state liquor stores all across the state; with such low, low prices and big, big selection, it encourages people to drink.

Lowest price, highest quality ...... N.H. State Liquor ...... I'll drink to that! .....

https://www.vnews.com/Expanded-NH-li...sales-40759794 .... New Hampshire - Vermont ..... "a border booze battleground" .... 3-photos .... June 5, 2021
Now we’re blaming accessibility and the state.

This is a very weird and hilarious rabbit hole of chest thumping, collectivism, projection and deflected accountability.

Everyone: Go get your T levels checked. Your manhood is running!

Old 01-18-2022, 08:37 AM   #40
fatlazyless

Quote:
Now we’re blaming accessibility and the state
"What Factors Lead to Excessive Alcohol Consumption in New Hampshire?" ..... http://www.narconon.org/blog/what-fa...hampshire.html .... August 17, 2020
Old 01-18-2022, 09:05 AM   #41
LakeDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
"What Factors Lead to Excessive Alcohol Consumption in New Hampshire?" ..... http://www.narconon.org/blog/what-fa...hampshire.html .... August 17, 2020
Oh, an article! You mean anyone can search and find results that support their view? Confirmation bias?

Each human is responsible for their own choices.
But everyone needs someone to blame…

Old 01-18-2022, 09:09 AM   #42
LakeDad

If anything, hard liquor is less accessible here than it is in other states. In FL, every mini mall has a (privately owned) liquor store.
Here, they are much more spaced out. You have to drive miles.

Old 01-18-2022, 08:04 PM   #43
John Mercier

Quote:

Hilarious.

Has nothing to do with being a real man. My grandmothers were not real men.
Old 01-18-2022, 08:09 PM   #44
John Mercier

Quote:
Do you ski uphill in 5 feet of snow?

If they telemark they do.
Old 01-19-2022, 08:57 AM   #45
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

NH is nowhere near the top of the charts for alcohol consumption...sales, yes.
Thousands of people from Maine, Mass, NY, NJ, Conn and other states stock up at state stores every week because of the tax free savings and low prices.
They buy for themselves, neighbors and friends. and this all shows very inflated
numbers for NH. Relax, we're not all alcoholics up here
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
ACME on the Broads (01-21-2022)
Old 01-19-2022, 09:29 AM   #46
WinnisquamZ

As my children would say “please speak for yourself”. Must say there is a terrific sale going on at the state liquor stores this month. 15% off 12 bottles of wine. More savings if you select those bottles from their power buy choices

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 10:16 AM   #47
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
NH is nowhere near the top of the charts for alcohol consumption...sales, yes.
Thousands of people from Maine, Mass, NY, NJ, Conn and other states stock up at state stores every week because of the tax free savings and low prices.
They buy for themselves, neighbors and friends. and this all shows very inflated
numbers for NH. Relax, we're not all alcoholics up here
A quick Google search shows NH is at the top of the states for per capita consumption at 4.67 gallons. Utah is lowest at 1.35. I was surprised by NH, not at all by Utah. Maybe sales to other states skew results.
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 10:51 AM   #48
fatlazyless

Is certainly possible that sales to Maine, Vermont, Massachusetts, New York, Connecticut and Rhode Island attracted to NH State Liquor's low prices and huge selection could be what this is really all about?

"The NH State Liquor store does NOT sell any adult beverage that is below 6% alcohol by volume!" .... ... "Live Free or Die!"

Is highly unusual to see a car around these here parts to be driving erratic that suggests a drunk driver at the wheel. With cell phones everywhere, it probably gets phoned in pdq to the local PD. That's like the #1 first item on their police patrol hit-list .... no drunk driving!

And, back 50-years ago in 1972, it was probably legal to drive around with an open can of Schlitz Beer held between your legs while you shifted into 3rd high gear with your right and clutched a Winston cigarette with your left, held up close to that vent window .... while listening to a local dj from that local a.m. radio station do a local advertisement, live ..... no kidding! Just watch out you don't hit a wandering black and white Holstein cow ..... that got loose .... mooooo! ...... remember Cow Hampshire!

https://www.cowhampshireblog.com
Old 01-19-2022, 10:53 AM   #49
garysanfran

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
A quick Google search shows NH is at the top of the states for per capita consumption at 4.67 gallons. Utah is lowest at 1.35. I was surprised by NH, not at all by Utah. Maybe sales to other states skew results.
Not sure how a statistic like that can be analyzed. In a tourist state that attracts a lot of out-of-state vacationers drinking lots of booze, if you take the total alcohol sold, divided by the total population (How else would they do this?) the result will show lots of consumption per resident, compared to a state with little tourism...Like North Dakota (I got stopped for speeding in S. Dakota on Rt. 90 (doing 68 in a 65 zone with California plates). The cop asked where I was going, I said I thought, on my way cross-country, I'd head north and visit Fargo, N. Dakota. He asked, "Why would I want to go there? There's nothing in N. Dakota! ARE YOU TRANSPORTING DRUGS?" He then searched my car, even used a drug-sniffing German Shepard...Beautiful dog)...After putting my spare tire back into my trunk, the cop left, I repacked all my belongings sitting on the side of the road. Stopped at the next burger joint, had a burger and beer. Now I wonder how that beer was factored into S. Dakota's alcohol statistics? Probably skewed the result and caused all sorts of legislation...
Old 01-19-2022, 11:05 AM   #50
Garcia

Quote:
Not sure how a statistic like that can be analyzed. In a tourist state that attracts a lot of out-of-state vacationers drinking lots of booze, if you take the total alcohol sold, divided by the total population (How else would they do this?) the result will show lots of consumption per resident, compared to a state with little tourism...Like North Dakota (I got stopped for speeding in S. Dakota on Rt. 90 (doing 68 in a 65 zone with California plates). The cop asked where I was going, I said I thought, on my way cross-country, I'd head north and visit Fargo, N. Dakota. He asked, "Why would I want to go there? There's nothing in N. Dakota! ARE YOU TRANSPORTING DRUGS?" He then searched my car, even used a drug-sniffing German Shepard...Beautiful dog)...After putting my spare tire back into my trunk, the cop left, I repacked all my belongings sitting on the side of the road. Stopped at the next burger joint, had a burger and beer. Now I wonder how that beer was factored into S. Dakota's alcohol statistics? Probably skewed the result and caused all sorts of legislation...
True, but still interesting. I don't think the high number can be explained away simply by tourists and sales to people in neighboring states. It is double the average and almost a gallon higher than then #2 Washington DC (probably another good case for non residents skewing the total).
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 12:56 PM   #51
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default My take

We had a conversation just last night about this very subject. We can see how the data "experts" can analyze the sales by NH Liquor stores and then take population and come up with a high per capita figure. What they can't do is determine who is buying, and where they live.

While we (our small group) certainly do all we can to keep the NH per capita figure up, we also know that when we go to the stores, especially in the May to October part of the year, odds are that NH plates in the parking lot are outnumbered by ME MA RI CT NY NJ plates.

Bottom line, reports like that simply use stats to tell their side of the lie.

Dave
Old 01-19-2022, 01:11 PM   #52
Descant

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
We had a conversation just last night about this very subject. We can see how the data "experts" can analyze the sales by NH Liquor stores and then take population and come up with a high per capita figure. What they can't do is determine who is buying, and where they live.

While we (our small group) certainly do all we can to keep the NH per capita figure up, we also know that when we go to the stores, especially in the May to October part of the year, odds are that NH plates in the parking lot are outnumbered by ME MA RI CT NY NJ plates.

Bottom line, reports like that simply use stats to tell their side of the lie.

Dave
Our dept. of tourism tracks where our visitors come from and aims their advertising accordingly. We just don't see it in NH. We see ads for Myrtle beach, for example. I would expect credit card records tell the same story to the liquor commission, but they don't need to do the long distance advertising because few people fly home with 4 cases of liquor, but those who drive certainly do. Not so much border crossing the last 24 months, but don't forget our neighbors from Canada. They shop here too for no sales tax and cheap liquor. When I go to the Merrimack Premium Outlets, I hear a lot of French being spoken. Of course, that could all come from Pinardville. IDK.
Old 01-19-2022, 01:57 PM   #53
SailinAway

Quote:
So true. At that point you have no choice but to retreat to a life governed by air conditioning. I lived in Indiana for one brutal summer. I spent the whole day indoors by the AC. Around midnight I would go outside hoping for a breath of fresh air. Nope---it was still 85 degrees and 95% humidity and everywhere you were assailed by the loud hum of huge central AC units outside every building. I found it soul crushing and couldn't wait to get back to the land of natural lakes, mountains, and pine trees.
Old 01-19-2022, 02:12 PM   #54
SailinAway

Quote:
Views like this, that I am fortunate to see all winter long, are uplifting to me every bit as much as someone else might like to see newly fallen snow or fresh powder on a ski trail. To each their own.
Whaat??!! You're calling jet skis a view? Good grief, man. What's that white stuff on the shore? Looks like snow.
Old 01-19-2022, 02:27 PM   #55
SailinAway

Quote:
When I go to the Merrimack Premium Outlets, I hear a lot of French being spoken. Of course, that could all come from Pinardville. IDK.
Well there's a way to tell, you know.

Standard French: Je vais faire vérifier les freins de mon camion maintenant.

Pinardville French: M’a faire chequer les brakes de mon truck ast’heure.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SailinAway For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (01-20-2022), Descant (01-19-2022)
Old 01-19-2022, 06:33 PM   #56
John Mercier

Quote:
Our dept. of tourism tracks where our visitors come from and aims their advertising accordingly. We just don't see it in NH. We see ads for Myrtle beach, for example. I would expect credit card records tell the same story to the liquor commission, but they don't need to do the long distance advertising because few people fly home with 4 cases of liquor, but those who drive certainly do. Not so much border crossing the last 24 months, but don't forget our neighbors from Canada. They shop here too for no sales tax and cheap liquor. When I go to the Merrimack Premium Outlets, I hear a lot of French being spoken. Of course, that could all come from Pinardville. IDK.
Sort of. We really only have good numbers on items like snowmobiling and OHRVing, because those items tend to have very limited ways to get around the registration requirements. Most other items are studies that may overstate or understate the influence of visitors to the State.

The liquor commission sometimes shuts down some operations that don't seem to be selling well, and opens others. I think that over time they determined that easy access off the major routes was more of their marketing plan.
Old 01-19-2022, 06:36 PM   #57
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
Whaat??!! You're calling jet skis a view? Good grief, man. What's that white stuff on the shore? Looks like snow.
I was more questioning why those views were not ''uplifting'' in the summer.
It isn't like the water freezes over, or that the runabouts stop.
Old 01-21-2022, 11:16 AM   #58
Crusty

A little first-person testimony on "per capita alcohol consumption". I am not a resident of NH (Ohio, actually). For a number of years, I spent summers at a lakeside cottage I owned. Currently, I spend maybe a week or two every couple years at a family property on the lake.

Back in Ohio, it is considered amusing that, upon entering NH on any highway, the FIRST encountered road sign reads "NH State Liquor Store Next Right". [Lots of photographs.] In NH's defense, I tell them that it's a safety feature; after a long drive, one can purchase an inexpensive bottle of spirits. The "welcome center" next door provides complimentary setups and mixers. You can them drive on refreshed and relaxed, without construction-induced road rage. Always gets a chuckle.

Levity aside, at the border stores I very seldom encounter anyone from NH buying anything. On one memorable occasion, a stranger offered me several wine coolers. When I declined, he insisted saying that he was from Canada, and was already at the maximum amount of liquor permitted.

As for my own purchasing habits, last summer, I hit the liquor store in Gilford (next to Patrick's) and purchased a couple cases of assorted fine liquors --about the same amount as the annual NH "per capita" rating. These ALL went back to Ohio and it will take me several years to consume it all.

It is clear that, in NH, the bulk of liquor store purchases are taken out-of-state for consumption by other than NH residents. In my personal observations of people during my summer sojourns, I also am of the belief that we "summer people" do more drinking than actual residents.

Anytime you pay attention to "studies" made by unqualified individuals, whose methodology is not carefully planned and justified, you simply reduce your own knowledge of the subject.
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Crusty For This Useful Post:
garysanfran (01-21-2022)
Old 01-21-2022, 12:21 PM   #59
LakeDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
A little first-person testimony on "per capita alcohol consumption". I am not a resident of NH (Ohio, actually). For a number of years, I spent summers at a lakeside cottage I owned. Currently, I spend maybe a week or two every couple years at a family property on the lake.

Back in Ohio, it is considered amusing that, upon entering NH on any highway, the FIRST encountered road sign reads "NH State Liquor Store Next Right". [Lots of photographs.] In NH's defense, I tell them that it's a safety feature; after a long drive, one can purchase an inexpensive bottle of spirits. The "welcome center" next door provides complimentary setups and mixers. You can them drive on refreshed and relaxed, without construction-induced road rage. Always gets a chuckle.

Levity aside, at the border stores I very seldom encounter anyone from NH buying anything. On one memorable occasion, a stranger offered me several wine coolers. When I declined, he insisted saying that he was from Canada, and was already at the maximum amount of liquor permitted.

As for my own purchasing habits, last summer, I hit the liquor store in Gilford (next to Patrick's) and purchased a couple cases of assorted fine liquors --about the same amount as the annual NH "per capita" rating. These ALL went back to Ohio and it will take me several years to consume it all.

It is clear that, in NH, the bulk of liquor store purchases are taken out-of-state for consumption by other than NH residents. In my personal observations of people during my summer sojourns, I also am of the belief that we "summer people" do more drinking than actual residents.

Anytime you pay attention to "studies" made by unqualified individuals, whose methodology is not carefully planned and justified, you simply reduce your own knowledge of the subject.

Speaking of Ohio….
NOBODY drinks like the Midwest. It’s not even close