Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Getting Here
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2017, 01:20 PM   #1
bigdog

Default Hudson River trip to NY

Forum....

I know this is not 'Winnie' related, but appreciate your comments......

Myself and wife, are planning a short trip to the Hudson River valley this Spring/Summer....

Planning to visit West Point, and probably take a tourist sight-seeing boat ride, but unsure of companies that provide ?

Also looking for other interesting stops up & down the valley ?

Your thoughts are much appreciated !

BigDog
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 01:26 PM   #2
KPW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
Forum....

I know this is not 'Winnie' related, but appreciate your comments......

Myself and wife, are planning a short trip to the Hudson River valley this Spring/Summer....

Planning to visit West Point, and probably take a tourist sight-seeing boat ride, but unsure of companies that provide ?

Also looking for other interesting stops up & down the valley ?

Your thoughts are much appreciated !

BigDog
Not sure of your age. If you are 40 or older, check this out:

www.roadscholar.org
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KPW For This Useful Post:
bigdog (02-24-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 07:19 PM   #3
CC185

Did the Hudson River last year. Amazing trip but be prepared for a long ride. We did it in July and the weather was perfect and water was calm. We put in at Beacon NY just a bit north of the Newburg bridge. From there it was a 70+ mile trip south to NYC. Plenty of fuel and towns to stop at along the way. Plan on the entire day. We finished up at a riverside restaurant for dinner in Newburg before heading home. We will do NYC trip again in 2017. NYC by boat may be the best trip on the east coast.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2017, 09:03 PM   #4
mneck1814

Downtown Beacon has a lot to explore, a bunch of art galleries, shops and specialty stores. Checkout The Roundhouse if you're looking for a nice place to stay or have dinner.

Newburgh doesn't have as many shops and galleries to explore, but there are a few restaurants on the river by the docks.

Last edited by mneck1814; 02-24-2017 at 10:23 PM.
mneck1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 10:16 PM   #5
bigdog

Thanks folks for comments !

Suggestions for overnight lodging ?

Bigdog
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2017, 07:41 AM   #6
Joebon

We have stayed at the belvedere mansion. It's very nice. All different levels of rooms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joebon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 06:09 AM   #7
Cindido

Default West Point

Thayer Hotel on the grounds of West Point:

http://www.thethayerhotel.com
Cindido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 03:37 PM   #8
moose tracks

Location: Loudon, Tennessee, foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains
Default Mid-Hudson Valley

BigDog - There is much to do in the Mid-Hudson Valley. A tour of the United States Military Academy at West Point, the home of FDR and the Vanderbilt Mansion are my top picks. I would suggest you stay in Fishkill, NY. Fishkill has many hotels to pick from. It is off of route 84 at exit #13. Fishkill is a good central location for you to base yourself. From Fishkill you can travel a short drive west to the Dia-Beacon Art Museum, a modern & contemporary art museum. From Beacon travel south on NY route 9D, a scenic road which runs on the east shore of the Hudson River. Further south you have the small town of Cold Spring (antiques and restaurants). Travelling just south of Cold Spring you have the Boscobel Mansion, a fine example of a federal period home on the banks of the Hudson. Cross the Hudson at the Bear Mountain Bridge and go north a little and you are at West Point. Going north from Fishkill there is Locust Grove, the estate of Samuel Morse, located in Poughkeepsie. Also in Poughkeepsie is the Walkway over the Hudson, a nice walk over a repurposed railroad bridge that spans the Hudson River. North of Poughkeepsie you have the historic town of Hyde Park. Here you will find the Culinary Institute of America, the home of FDR and his presidential library and museum, the Vanderbilt Mansion and Val-Kill, the home of Eleanor Roosevelt. Across the river in Newburgh you have the home of Orange County Choppers if you like motorcycles. About 25 miles north of Newburgh is Kingston. In Kingston they have a sightseeing cruise boat called the Rip Van Winkle. There are other sightseeing boats out of Newburgh and Poughkeepsie but I don’t know much about them. I hope you find this information useful. If you want to include a visit to NYC in your trip, the Metro North railroad can have you there in about 1 hour from the Beacon station.