Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Pets
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2015, 04:10 PM   #1
That Guy

Default Looking for a pup.

Wife and I are scoping around for a new pup. No real big need, but have been looking around. We currently have a nine year old pug. His nature is so great for us. He sleeps about 23h a day. Is fine wandering around the yard for 5m, then taking a nap in the sun. He's perfected laziness. We're looking for something similar. Something with a "smooshy" face.

So far my experiences have been pretty crappy. Found a breeder in NY that wanted to sell us 6wk old "Chugs" (Chihuahua / Pug). No shots. No paperwork. Sketchy as hell. I texted 32 people today on French/English Bulldog pups. Three were legit. The rest couldn't wait to ship me the pup overnight once I wired them over some money. One quick Google image search shows nationwide ads from years and years ago. One guy 100% wanted me to believe the pic of a bulldog with a palm tree in the background was taken in Boston.

But enough of my rant. If anyone knows of a pug/bulldog in the area my wife and I are interested. Looking for a pup and not really over a year old. We really sort of want to avoid a breeder if we can.

Thanks for reading.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 04:57 PM   #2
LadyJane

you might consider a rescue, www.nhhumane.org
the N.H. Humane society. They always have a "pet of the week" in the Meredith News. Last week it was a cute 14 month old bloodhound mix.
LadyJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:58 PM   #3
eillac@dow

We just got a pup in April...from a breeder. Took us a while to find one....

When we went to our second vet appointment, they asked, "is this one of so & so's pups? Then it occurred to me.....how come I never called my vet for a recommendation on finding a pup. So just a thought, have u called your vet? I know u r looking to stay away from breeders, but they might know of of doggies needing a home.

Good luck with your search.

Allie
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:51 PM   #4
bigdog

My daughter bought a mini- dauchshund from a breeder in Ossippee. These are great dogs ,
I I know I had one for 18 yrs ! Loyal, lovable playful and extremely intelligent. They dont grow more than 15 lbs.

If interested send me a PM and I will give you breeders info.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:23 PM   #5
That Guy

mmk. I'll check around shelters. I'd love to get one from there, but Pugs and Bulldogs seem a little more of a sought-out breed. I checked all NH shelters in the area and majority of them were either Pitbull mixes or Chihuahua mixes. Perhaps I'll drop my contact information with a few; get my name in that hat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
My daughter bought a mini- dauchshund from a breeder in Ossippee. These are great dogs ,
I I know I had one for 18 yrs ! Loyal, lovable playful and extremely intelligent. They dont grow more than 15 lbs.

If interested send me a PM and I will give you breeders info.
Wife had a Dachshund when she was a kiddo. I guess it was a terrible experience for the whole family. Just like I had a miniature beagle growing up, and what a nightmare that dog was. Because of that we've nixed Dachshund and Beagles from any mixes . We appreciate the offer though.

CraigsList was a pure headache today though. Nothing gets me going like someone wasting my time.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2015, 08:29 PM   #6
GBGX2

Smile Make your life easy and wonderful....

Get a Lab!
GBGX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:38 PM   #7
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBGX2 View Post
Get a Lab!
We're shooting for something under the 30 pound range. Our Pug kind of broke that limit before I had moved out weighing in at an awesome 45 pounds . He's since weighed in about 25 and that is just right.
The Following User Says Thank You to That Guy For This Useful Post:
GBGX2 (06-11-2015)
Old 06-11-2015, 09:41 PM   #8
kauriel

Long Island Bulldog Rescue covers the Northeast including NH and has mostly english bulldogs. They have mostly adults but they sometimes have younger dogs/puppies. You can apply for adoption at http://longislandbulldogrescue.org/i...n-application/ (must re-apply every 6 months) or follow them on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/LIBulldogrescue/.

There are lots of scams and poorly bred bulldogs so I highly recommend Long Island Bulldog Rescue (LIBR). I have fostered for them and can attest that they truly care about the health and welfare of their dogs. Most dogs are placed in a foster home first to evaluate their health and behavior and then they are available for adoption.

If you are interested in fostering the foster application is available at http://longislandbulldogrescue.org/i...r-application/. Their slogan is foster a couch potato
kauriel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kauriel For This Useful Post:
That Guy (06-12-2015)
Old 06-11-2015, 09:59 PM   #9
kauriel

Sorry I just saw you are looking for 30 lbs or under. For that size you might want to try Pug Rescue of New England or SNORT Rescue.

We made the mistake of getting our bulldog through a breeder because I didn't realize Long Island Bulldog Rescue or SNORT also covered New England. We've been fortunate that our dog has only had minor issues but I've heard many horror stories of people being scammed or getting dogs with severe health issues.
kauriel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kauriel For This Useful Post:
That Guy (06-12-2015)
Old 06-12-2015, 07:38 AM   #10
That Guy

Thanks for all the suggestions. This weekend I'll bang out a few applications. I'd really like to stick with a Pug, but if we stumbled across the right French Bulldog I could see us getting it. Our Pug is just so terrific and fits our lifestyles perfectly.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:22 AM   #11
Airedale1

Thanked 1,569 Times in 274 Posts

Contact info for my friend in Boston is on the bottom of the image. He and his wife are one of the premier breeders of Frenchies in the country and if they don't have puppies currently, I am sure they will know who does. Here's a couple of pics of some of their dogs.

That Guy (06-12-2015)
Old 06-12-2015, 08:30 AM   #12
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airedale1 View Post
Contact info for my friend in Boston is on the bottom of the image. He and his wife are one of the premier breeders of Frenchies in the country and if they don't have puppies currently, I am sure they will know who does. Here's a couple of pics of some of their dogs.
Cool beans. I just shot them an email.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:12 AM   #13
codeman671

If you want an English bulldog you will most likely blow the 30 pound limit. We have one now, and have had 2 previously, the smallest was 70 lbs. My current porker is over 80. Stick with a frenchie.

Bulldog breeders, mainly for English, are tough. Stay away from most of the ones in NY. We got one from a pet store years ago (yeah yeah, I know) and we almost lost her due to pneumonia as a pup. Once that was cleared up she was great, lived to be 11 1/2.

Our second one died at 5 1/2 of lyme. We got him from a breeder in New Bedford, Mass. She was great and really cares for her dogs.

Our current one came out of Texas. Reviews on them seemed pretty good and the deal was smooth, but we were very suspicious. They were Mexicans for sure, and I think probably a prettied up puppy mill. I think he was younger than they said. When he arrived he was pretty sick, although he had been checked out by a vet down there. He has had cherry eye, a common bulldog problem. Just had our second surgery to correct it, and its still not looking great.

Awesome dogs though.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 10:18 AM   #14
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
If you want an English bulldog you will most likely blow the 30 pound limit. We have one now, and have had 2 previously, the smallest was 70 lbs. My current porker is over 80. Stick with a frenchie.

Bulldog breeders, mainly for English, are tough. Stay away from most of the ones in NY. We got one from a pet store years ago (yeah yeah, I know) and we almost lost her due to pneumonia as a pup. Once that was cleared up she was great, lived to be 11 1/2.
Wife also says say with the Frenchie. And I'm fine with that. I just punch in "Bulldog" and see what is listed.

Funny you mention NY. I'd say 90% of the listings are there. Someone tried to sell me a 6wk old Pug mix. No shots. No paperwork. Nothing. Sketchy as hell. All the NY ones are like that. I'm >||< THIS close to ditching CL. After texting people yesterday, I've had the same number text me "1500" over and over again. I've said no thanks twice now and they just keep texting me "1500". About every 10 or 20 minutes. This weekend I'll bang out a few adoption applications. Just get our name in a hat. If it takes two years for us to find a pup, so be it. I'm really shooting for a Pug though.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:26 AM   #15
MeredithMan

Default Not a fan of the rescue organizations...

After we got over the loss of our last Golden, we decided we were ready for a new one. We didn't want the hassle of a puppy...we wanted a young adult, so we thought the Golden rescue organizations would be a good option. We found them to be very much, "our way or the highway", regarding the care and upbringing of the dog. I understand their logic--they want the dogs to be in a good environment--but we found them to be absolutely unflexible. We also found that one of the rescue groups only had dogs that had some sort of issue, be it mental or physical.

I then decided to ping Golden breeders directly for young adults. Simply did a Google search of breeders in each new England state. Sent them an email introducing myself and asking if they had any young adults even if their website said otherwise. I found them all to be very responsive and we found not just one, but TWO young adults who are now part of the family.

You may want to consider this type of strategy in your Pug / French Bulldog search.

Good luck!
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MeredithMan For This Useful Post:
Airedale1 (06-12-2015)
Old 06-12-2015, 02:21 PM   #16
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
Wife also says say with the Frenchie. And I'm fine with that. I just punch in "Bulldog" and see what is listed.

Funny you mention NY. I'd say 90% of the listings are there. Someone tried to sell me a 6wk old Pug mix. No shots. No paperwork. Nothing. Sketchy as hell. All the NY ones are like that. I'm >||< THIS close to ditching CL. After texting people yesterday, I've had the same number text me "1500" over and over again. I've said no thanks twice now and they just keep texting me "1500". About every 10 or 20 minutes. This weekend I'll bang out a few adoption applications. Just get our name in a hat. If it takes two years for us to find a pup, so be it. I'm really shooting for a Pug though.
Sometimes you have to watch it on the adoptions. Dogs up for adoption are there for a reason, not always a good one. I am certainly not saying that I don't support adoption, but worry about the reasoning the dog ended up there.

Often times health or behavioral issues come into play.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 06:21 PM   #17
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post
After we got over the loss of our last Golden, we decided we were ready for a new one. We didn't want the hassle of a puppy...we wanted a young adult, so we thought the Golden rescue organizations would be a good option. We found them to be very much, "our way or the highway", regarding the care and upbringing of the dog. I understand their logic--they want the dogs to be in a good environment--but we found them to be absolutely unflexible. We also found that one of the rescue groups only had dogs that had some sort of issue, be it mental or physical.

I then decided to ping Golden breeders directly for young adults. Simply did a Google search of breeders in each new England state. Sent them an email introducing myself and asking if they had any young adults even if their website said otherwise. I found them all to be very responsive and we found not just one, but TWO young adults who are now part of the family.

You may want to consider this type of strategy in your Pug / French Bulldog search.

Good luck!

What a great idea!

I never realized how inflexible some rescue places can be until my mother had an experience with one.

Her cat of 17 years had died and she decided to get a rescue cat to replace it. After she honestly told the place it would be an indoor/outdoor cat they unpolitely said "NO"!

My mom called shortly after to report that she was no longer qualified to take in a stray cat.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 01:05 AM   #18
ericnh

Default We have Golden Retriever puppies - 4 weeks old now

We have AKC Golden Retriever puppies for sale - they are great family dogs! Our dog Summer, the mom, loves the lake and even joins me on a jet ski rides (with a vest). They will be ready for their new families in 4 weeks.
Attached Images

ericnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 07:20 AM   #19
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
Wife and I are scoping around for a new pup. No real big need, but have been looking around. We currently have a nine year old pug. His nature is so great for us. He sleeps about 23h a day. Is fine wandering around the yard for 5m, then taking a nap in the sun. He's perfected laziness. We're looking for something similar. Something with a "smooshy" face.

So far my experiences have been pretty crappy. Found a breeder in NY that wanted to sell us 6wk old "Chugs" (Chihuahua / Pug). No shots. No paperwork. Sketchy as hell. I texted 32 people today on French/English Bulldog pups. Three were legit. The rest couldn't wait to ship me the pup overnight once I wired them over some money. One quick Google image search shows nationwide ads from years and years ago. One guy 100% wanted me to believe the pic of a bulldog with a palm tree in the background was taken in Boston.

But enough of my rant. If anyone knows of a pug/bulldog in the area my wife and I are interested. Looking for a pup and not really over a year old. We really sort of want to avoid a breeder if we can.

Thanks for reading.
There is a rescue that has a small female pug available. My cousin works as a volunteer with the group. The number is 603-997-2155. The dog looks adorable.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
That Guy (06-20-2015)
Old 06-20-2015, 08:06 PM   #20
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
There is a rescue that has a small female pug available. My cousin works as a volunteer with the group. The number is 603-997-2155. The dog looks adorable.
I just sent her a text. I wonder if its the same Pug I found with PRoNE (Pug Rescue of New England).

But thank you so much!
Old 06-21-2015, 06:22 AM   #21
tis

I don't think that is the name of the rescue. They rescue all kinds of dogs.
Old 06-21-2015, 07:38 AM   #22
That Guy

Yep, I was confused with another Pug rescue. The Pug she has is quite a bit older than what the wife and I were looking for. There was one in MA that was three years old and I thought perhaps that was the one that you were referring to. I sent her a message though. Wife and I are going to fill out an application for PRoNE today. We like how they contact your current vet and do a home inspection to make sure the pup is going to a decent place.
Old 06-21-2015, 07:54 AM   #23
tis

How old is she? I didn't know. I just knew she was cute and you were looking.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:31 AM   #24
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
How old is she? I didn't know. I just knew she was cute and you were looking.
The pup your cousin has is seven.