Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2007, 07:50 PM   #1
Alton Mumma

Default Bear Island

Can someone help refresh my memory? My family used to vacation on Bear Island every summer. I was there every summer from 1973 to about 1982. I was very young, and have fuzzy memories about the place. The most vivid memory is pawing through old records in the cottage and dancing around to "Chaquita Banana" wearing silly hats. Hey, I said I was young!

A fuzzier memory is going somewhere on the island with my sister and treasure hunting. I remember finding little glass bottles and glasses frames etc. Was there a hotel on the island that burned down?

I'll see if I can dig up and scan some pics of us at the cottage.

Any info about the history of the island would be greatly appreciated! Thanks much!

"Living with a toddler is like using a blender without the cover."
Alton Mumma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 08:22 PM   #2
Island Life

Default Old dump?

It could be that you'd found a place the old timers had used as a dump. Rather than haul their trash to shore, they'd dump everything in one place (or several). And many, many years later, all we find are the glass and metal objects. I imagine it took place on every island. I even have one on my property here at home.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:49 AM   #3
jkjoshuatree

Wink Hey Alton Mumma

My family's had a place on Bear since 1973.

The spot you're thinking of is the foundation to the "old hotel". Its kind of in the middle of the northern half of the island, about a half mile from the mail dock on west Bear.

There used to be old bottles, a bed frame, and other "treasures" there. The pump house for the hotel was actually on our land but we had to destroy it because it was in pretty rough shape and dangerous to the little ones in our family.

And out in front of our cottage there is an old sink and another bed frame that we can only assume came from the hotel. It's in about thirty feet of water but pretty cool to snorkle to.

Hope this answers your question. Let me know if you have any other questions. There's also a great book about Bear Island call "Bear Island Reflections". If you pick it up, make sure you get the second edition. It's updated and has more info.

JK
Descant (02-17-2021)
Old 05-17-2007, 08:10 AM   #4
Bear Guy

Default Bear Island House?

Yes, there was an island hotel that burned in 1934 (see blurb below). If you were vacationing on the "northern half" of Bear, this quite likely could have been your treasure hunting location.
I am a resident of the island's southern half, and am aware of several ancient dumping areas there - one of which includes an old cast iron stove - and some abandoned pieces of farm equipment.

"In the early 1900’s, the island's summer boarding house became known as The Bear Island House and was run as a hotel until 1934. The hotel burned to the ground in November of 1934 and the remains of the foundation can be seen to this day."
Bear Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 08:41 AM   #5
Bear Islander

Do you have a memory of meeting the Mail Boat to buy ice cream? That is what many remember about the island.

The hotel was at the center of the northern half of the island. There is still a cellar hole and various metal and glass around. There is information on the island at www.bearisland.org we also sell a book on the islands history called "Bear Island Reflections". If you can post a picture I can probably tell you the house number.
Attached Images

Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2007, 10:09 AM   #6
JerseyGirl

Default Hotel

You were probably definitely at the hotel remains. We have visited it often as it is on our walking bath to the mail dock. Mostly everything is very overgrown now, but back then there was more lying around. The story about the hotel is fasinating. Go onto www.bearisland.org for info to buy the book "Reflections of Bear Island". The history is astounding. It is on the bookshelf of the home we visit and I read it every year. You may have also visited the fresh water spring (dried up now because of development). That was our only source of drinking water for a long time. The kids were given the task of fetching it - it became an adventure. (plus us adults had some quiet time!)
Old 05-20-2007, 04:49 PM   #7
Alton Mumma

Default Thanks!

Thanks so much, my memory is beginning to come out of it's fog.

Bear Islander, I LOVED our trips to the mail boat. I remember my father falling into the lake during on of those trips. But my most vivid memory was just sit on the big rock that was right next to the dock, letting the water splash up over my legs. It's strange the things you remember.

I'm still searching for a picture. I might have to take a trip to my mother's house.

Old 05-21-2007, 11:09 AM   #8
Weirs guy

We took a cruise on the Sophie last summer and my kids were blown away that kids on the islands got to climb the moorings and jump off when the Sophie comes around. Now if we're swimming when one of the girls goes by my kids have to stand on my shoulders and repeat the act.

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 09:23 PM   #9
jkjoshuatree

Talking Alton Mumma (Or Anyone Else That May Be Interested)...

In the spring issue of "Heart of New Hampshire", I had an article published about the Sophie (with the emphasis on the Bear Island mail dock).

Of course I'm biased because I'm in it, but it really is a great magazine.

Check it out if you have the chance. The book store in Mill Falls carries it.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:25 PM   #10
salukigirl

Default Bear Island Hotel

Yes, there was a hotel on the island. My great great great great great uncle Solomon Lovejoy and his wife Lizzie Wiggin Lovejoy owned that hotel until the early 1900's when they sold it. I think it burned down in 1934.

If anyone has any pictures of the old hotel circa the 1900's I would love a copy!
salukigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:14 AM   #11
Alton Mumma

Default pictures

I finally remembered to get some pictures out of my mother's house.

Here's the cottage, this picture was probably taken sometime in the early 70's, the pic has faded quite a bit, IRL the cottage was a lot more green. It looks a little brown here...

Here I am on my favorite rock

And this was my all time favorite place, I think I was about 2 years old here.

I found another cute one of my very first summer there, I was only 5 months old!

Old 06-22-2007, 12:48 PM   #12
AC2717

Default Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alton Mumma
I finally remembered to get some pictures out of my mother's house.

Here's the cottage, this picture was probably taken sometime in the early 70's, the pic has faded quite a bit, IRL the cottage was a lot more green. It looks a little brown here...

Here I am on my favorite rock

And this was my all time favorite place, I think I was about 2 years old here.

I found another cute one of my very first summer there, I was only 5 months old!

Pictures did not come through can you repost, thank you axious to see them
AC2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 05:15 PM   #13
Bear Islander

This is what the place looks like now. It's a great place with a large lot.
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2012, 03:40 PM   #14
Bear Island South

Default Mystery Stone

My son and I took a walk from our place on the south end of Bear to the mail dock via island trails today. On our way using the Bear Island trail map we took notice of quite a few land marks. One of particular interest was the "Mystery Stone" does anyone know the significance of this stone? It is a large flat stone along the trail just south of the mail dock; it has the initials "JP EI 1873 AD" scribed in it.
Bear Island South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:34 PM   #15
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts
Default Dump question

Hi All,
I have studied the history of Bear and have had for sometime that great book (Reflections); I too re-read it periodically; I am always looking for offshore dumps and would welcome any help on where to dive around BI for them or anywhere else for that matter.

Bear has a long and rich history and I know they're out there off Bear, just don't know where. It's one big island.

Even an approximate area to go to would be helpful as just diving and searching is half the fun.

Thanks!
Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:12 AM   #16
Barney Bear

Default Bear Island Trail Map

Bear Island South --What is the map that you referred to in your recent post?
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:04 PM   #17
Bear Island South

If you go to the Bear Cam site, there is a link to the trail map for island residents. See my private message I sent you.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:45 PM   #18
Pineedles

Why are non-residents denied the ability to view the trail map? I would think it would be interesting for everyone to see how this huge island interconnects the onshore and offshore camps.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:31 PM   #19
Bear Island South

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
Why are non-residents denied the ability to view the trail map? I would think it would be interesting for everyone to see how this huge island interconnects the onshore and offshore camps.
A question for the map creator I guess...but you are right there are some interesting landmarks and geographic features throughout the island. Our journey from the south end to the mail dock and back took 2.5 hours.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:27 AM   #20
Bear Islander

Quote:
I created the Bear Island Map from scratch by walking the island with a GPS attached to my hat. And yes, I received funny looks. The GPS unit recorded my exact location every 20 seconds and way-points when I pressed a button. When transferred to computer this data provides the basic elements of a map.

The map contains many elements that are sensitive in nature. It has the exact location of Historic Sites we wish to preserve including an unmarked graveyard. Break ins have occurred in the off season and public access to a detailed map could make that easier.

Additionally the entire island is private property and is only open to residents and their guests. The 911 system, police, fire, utility companies, residents and island contractors have been given access to the map. I will be happy to give a copy to anyone having a legitimate interest, but I do not feel that publishing it on the internet is in the island's best interest.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bear Islander For This Useful Post:
Bear247 (04-27-2012), garysanfran (09-01-2012)
Old 04-25-2012, 10:37 AM   #21
Pineedles

I understand completely your reluctance to publish if it has sensitive elements contained within it. We have been lucky, in having year round residents living next door to our camp and haven't experienced any break-ins or vandalism during the winter. Are there any photographs that you might be willing to share of the unmarked gravesite, or anything else historic that would not give its location away?
The Following User Says Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (04-25-2012)
Old 04-25-2012, 10:15 PM   #22
Bear Islander

The graveyard is rather unusual. There are no gravestones or markers, just a few field-stones in a row in dense woods. You could walk through it a hundred times and never guess it was a graveyard.

I have several pictures of the graveyard and this is the best one. It shows a couple of the stones. Not what you expected?

We don't even know for sure who is buried there.
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2012, 07:34 AM   #23
Pineedles

You're right, it's not what I expected. How do you know it was a graveyard? Indians never used marker stones, did they? I guess I need to pickup a book on Bear Island history, if there is one? Thank you for the picture.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:48 AM   #24
Barney Bear

Default Bear Island History

Bear Island Reflections [second edition] is a very complete and interesting history of our fabulous island.
The Following User Says Thank You to Barney Bear For This Useful Post:
Pineedles (04-26-2012)
Old 04-26-2012, 10:02 AM   #25
Pineedles

I did a search and wound up at this site: http://www.lwhs.us/islands/bearislandearylhistory.htm

Very informative, and included a map. Is #6 the "graveyard' the one that Bear Islander posted a picture?
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2012, 04:22 PM   #26
Bear Islander

That "Old Island Map" is not really that old. It lists Camp Nokomis which was founded in 1952. However we have island residents whose grandparents purchased of Bear going back to 1895 and 1913. That provides an oral history of where the graveyard is. The old map does show the approximate location of the graveyard but you would never find it with that.

Copies of "Bear Island Reflections" our history book are available. They are $10 and we usually have a few available when the mail boat is at the dock.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:10 PM   #27
Pineedles

I was struck with the names of some of the early settlers, Bickford being one. They are relatives of mine through marraige. Some of the other names still are represented here in the Lakes Region. That's nice. I will be buying a copy of the book, probably through Amazon via the Winni forum.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:34 AM   #28
Bear Island South

Our property was orginally owned by Bickford, sold off to Duquette in 1906.
Aiken is another name, the majority of the camp lots around us came out of the 125 acres he owned. The majority of that property was deeded to the Society for the Protection of New Hampshire Forests which is adjacent to the church property.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:15 AM   #29
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Island South View Post
Our property was orginally owned by Bickford, sold off to Duquette in 1906.
Aiken is another name, the majority of the camp lots around us came out of the 125 acres he owned. The majority of that property was deeded to the Society for the Protection of New Hampshire Forests which is adjacent to the church property.
According to the Society's web site they have a 152 acre reservation known as "The Bear Island Forest" which also according to their web site is completely open to the public. From their site...

"The Forest Society owns over 160 reservations, located on over 50,000 acres spread across New Hampshire – and we want you to come explore it! All of our properties are open to the public, yet several offer a more complete recreational experience by having designated parking, kiosks, trails, and events. We've highlighted some of these reservations in our Guide to Our Lands area of the site. We hope you visit these gems and share your experiences with us."

I'm curious why Bear Islander stated the entire island is privately owned and only owners and guests can visit??

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (04-27-2012)
Old 04-27-2012, 09:14 AM   #30
Bear Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
According to the Society's web site they have a 152 acre reservation known as "The Bear Island Forest" which also according to their web site is completely open to the public. From their site...

"The Forest Society owns over 160 reservations, located on over 50,000 acres spread across New Hampshire – and we want you to come explore it! All of our properties are open to the public, yet several offer a more complete recreational experience by having designated parking, kiosks, trails, and events. We've highlighted some of these reservations in our Guide to Our Lands area of the site. We hope you visit these gems and share your experiences with us."

I'm curious why Bear Islander stated the entire island is privately owned and only owners and guests can visit??

Dan
I was giving a simple answer to a complex subject. Yet what I said is perfectly true. In the first place the forest in question is in the center of the southern end of the island. It is owned by "Society for the Protection of New Hampshire Forests" and is therefore private property, NOT public property. If the society wishes to open their land to GUESTS then that is their privilege. The society can also rescind that permission at any time they wish. So as I said the entire island is private property and only open to owners and guests.

Additionally the forest property in question has no access from the lake. There is no way to get to this land without passing over private property. So unless you plan to parachute in you can't get to the forest. And then of course how would you get out. Helicopters are no allowed on society lands.

So you see the simpler answer I gave is still true. You can't take a boat to the island and walk around unless you are a property owner or a guest of a property owner.

Anyway my post was only about why I don't post my map on the internet. Not a legal argument on land access.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:30 AM   #31
Jonas Pilot

Is it OK if we look at the island when we boat by?
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jonas Pilot For This Useful Post:
NoBozo (04-27-2012)
Old 04-27-2012, 10:04 AM   #32
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
I was giving a simple answer to a complex subject. Yet what I said is perfectly true. In the first place the forest in question is in the center of the southern end of the island. It is owned by "Society for the Protection of New Hampshire Forests" and is therefore private property, NOT public property. If the society wishes to open their land to GUESTS then that is their privilege. The society can also rescind that permission at any time they wish. So as I said the entire island is private property and only open to owners and guests.

Additionally the forest property in question has no access from the lake. There is no way to get to this land without passing over private property. So unless you plan to parachute in you can't get to the forest. And then of course how would you get out. Helicopters are no allowed on society lands.

So you see the simpler answer I gave is still true. You can't take a boat to the island and walk around unless you are a property owner or a guest of a property owner.

Anyway my post was only about why I don't post my map on the internet. Not a legal argument on land access.
All of the Society's land is open to the public. Since the society is a property owner and since all their land is open to the public, would that not make the public their guest??

It would be a shame to have such a large parcel of land gifted to the society for the enjoyment and recreational experience of all be curtailed by a few island curmudgeons who believe their property lines and rights extend beyond their purchased deed.

Dan
Old 04-27-2012, 10:41 AM   #33
Barney Bear

Default Visiting Bear Island

Visitors to our beautiful island could land at the dock in Church Cove. A short walk up the hill past St. John's-on-the-Lake chapel will take you to the tracts of land donated to the Society for the Protection of New Hampshire Forests by the East Bear Island Association and the Mayo Family. Welcome!!!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Barney Bear For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (04-27-2012), jmen24 (04-27-2012), Jonas Pilot (04-27-2012), NoBozo (04-27-2012), Rattlesnake Gal (04-27-2012), Redwing (05-04-2012), secondcurve (04-28-2012), Two dobys (04-27-2012)
Old 04-27-2012, 10:52 AM   #34
ishoot308

Default Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Bear View Post
Visitors to our beautiful island could land at the dock in Church Cove. A short walk up the hill past St. John's-on-the-Lake chapel will take you to the tracts of land donated to the Society for the Protection of New Hampshire Forests by the East Bear Island Association and the Mayo Family. Welcome!!!
Thanks Barney Bear for the welcome!! The lake needs more people like you! I knew the land abutted St Johns land just was not sure about access.

I have yet to see the chapel and hear it is beautiful!! I have every intention of attending at least one service there this summer.

Thanks again!

Dan
Old 04-27-2012, 11:23 AM   #35
Islander

Default ???

Barney,

I don't know who you are but do you know that you have just invited possibly thousands of boats to use the church docks? Are you an officer or director of St. Johns on the Lake? Do you have the authority or permission to make that decision?

Does the offer include your own dock? What number are you?
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:06 PM   #36
RailroadJoe

I'll get FLL and we will sneak in on your island and check it out!
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:56 PM   #37
CTYankee

Default It's not the same one

Quote:
I did a search and wound up at this site: http://www.lwhs.us/islands/bearislandearylhistory.htm

Very informative, and included a map. Is #6 the "graveyard' the one that Bear Islander posted a picture?
Hi Pineedles, No, it's not the same cemetary. The one marked on the map found in [I]Reflections[I] is actually next to my camp on West Bear (315).

By-the-way, everyone is welcome to come explore and enjoy BI as my guest whenever they like.
CTYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CTYankee For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (04-27-2012), jmen24 (04-27-2012), Jonas Pilot (04-27-2012), NoBozo (04-27-2012), Pineedles (04-27-2012), Rattlesnake Gal (04-27-2012), Redwing (05-04-2012), secondcurve (04-28-2012)
Old 04-27-2012, 04:02 PM   #38
Bear Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTYankee View Post
Hi Pineedles, No, it's not the same cemetary. The one marked on the map found in [I]Reflections[I] is actually next to my camp on West Bear (315).

By-the-way, everyone is welcome to come explore and enjoy BI as my guest whenever they like.
That is very generous CTYankee. I hope you have a lot of space at your dock at #315. Perhaps you could show the cemetery to those that are interested.

Just to clarify, when you invite people to explore BI, I assume you are not including the children's camps or other areas that are fenced or posted "No Trespassing".
The Following User Says Thank You to Bear Islander For This Useful Post:
garysanfran (09-01-2012)
Old 04-27-2012, 04:20 PM   #39
pam.in.ny

I went to the link www.bearisland.org to look for information about purchasing the book "Reflections of Bear Island. Is there another link? I see they have a used copy on Amazon but would rather purchase from the ".org" so that they receive the money.

Thank you!
pam.in.ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:06 PM   #40
Jonas Pilot

Thank you Barney Bear and CtYankee. It's good to know that there are still people around that understand the New Hampshire spirit.

My apologies to Alton Mumma for the direction in which this great post traveled.

Last edited by Jonas Pilot; 04-27-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:04 PM   #41
Bear Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam.in.ny View Post
I went to the link www.bearisland.org to look for information about purchasing the book "Reflections of Bear Island. Is there another link? I see they have a used copy on Amazon but would rather purchase from the ".org" so that they receive the money.

Thank you!
You can purchase the book for $10 at the Bear Island Mail Dock starting late June. Or you can purchase it by mail. I have just added information on purchasing the book to the bearisland.org website.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bear Islander For This Useful Post:
pam.in.ny (04-27-2012)
Old 04-27-2012, 06:27 PM   #42
jmen24

Default Well then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander View Post
Barney,

I don't know who you are but do you know that you have just invited possibly thousands of boats to use the church docks? Are you an officer or director of St. Johns on the Lake? Do you have the authority or permission to make that decision?

I think that was awful nice of Barney Bear and CTYankee to offer an option for us "out crowd" folks to enjoy a piece of "public" property.

And sense you took the tone, as a multi-generation NH Native, I will ask; do you have the authority or permission to prohibit the use or access of public lands in this state or any other? Because, as a NH Native (read resident) I am certain that I would be more than willing to put a petition in front of my local House Rep., that an easement should be put in place so that I and anyone else that would like to explore a piece of public land within the borders of NH, can do so without issue.

Your posting history speaks volumes and I would hope that your neighbors will convince you that that is not the NH way of thinking!

Oh I almost forgot, in case any of you folks forgot about NH's open land law, I may just tie off my canoe to a shore line tree and head on in for a look see. There has to be some unposted land on that Island, it is big enough.

BI, I respect your position (and your reason), but you should really check yours and your neighbors tone when it comes to your seasonal properties in this state. It is these types of attitudes that get you folks in hot water around here. Be a neighbor and be neighborly.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jmen24 For This Useful Post:
CTYankee (04-28-2012), Jonas Pilot (04-27-2012), NoBozo (04-27-2012)
Old 04-27-2012, 06:28 PM   #43
Bear Island South

Quote:
Thanks Barney Bear for the welcome!! The lake needs more people like you! I knew the land abutted St Johns land just was not sure about access.

I have yet to see the chapel and hear it is beautiful!! I have every intention of attending at least one service there this summer.

Thanks again!

Dan
Here's one of the Church entrance, if you haven't been to a service than it is worth the trip. I believe there is a service when you can bring your pet and have them blessed.
Attached Images

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bear Island South For This Useful Post:
CTYankee (04-28-2012), ishoot308 (04-27-2012), jmen24 (04-27-2012), NoBozo (04-27-2012)
Old 04-27-2012, 06:37 PM   #44
Jonas Pilot

What a beautiful sight. Thanks for sharing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jonas Pilot For This Useful Post:
jmen24 (04-27-2012)
Old 04-27-2012, 06:40 PM   #45
NoBozo

As an Off Islander..and ALWAYS respectful of Private Property, anywhere I find it, ..I am encouraged that some people on the island are open to having visitors, without prejudice.

The OTHERS.....I guess we can draw our own conclusions.. ............... NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
CTYankee (04-28-2012)
Old 04-27-2012, 06:46 PM   #46
NoBozo

Quote:
Here's one of the Church entrance, if you haven't been to a service than it is worth the trip. I believe there is a service when you can bring your pet and have them blessed.
I found the Church on Google Earth today..picture taken one year ago. The satellite camera is almost directly above..but just enough to the side to figure out it's a tower. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:48 PM   #47
Bear Island South

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
I think that was awful nice of Barney Bear and CTYankee to offer an option for us "out crowd" folks to enjoy a piece of "public" property.

And sense you took the tone, as a multi-generation NH Native, I will ask; do you have the authority or permission to prohibit the use or access of public lands in this state or any other? Because, as a NH Native (read resident) I am certain that I would be more than willing to put a petition in front of my local House Rep., that an easement should be put in place so that I and anyone else that would like to explore a piece of public land within the borders of NH, can do so without issue.

Your posting history speaks volumes and I would hope that your neighbors will convince you that that is not the NH way of thinking!

Oh I almost forgot, in case any of you folks forgot about NH's open land law, I may just tie off my canoe to a shore line tree and head on in for a look see. There has to be some unposted land on that Island, it is big enough.

BI, I respect your position (and your reason), but you should really check yours and your neighbors tone when it comes to your seasonal properties in this state. It is these types of attitudes that get you folks in hot water around here. Be a neighbor and be neighborly.
I think the real question here is access to the Society property. I know first hand that there was an access easement granted to the Society, however they do not have any dock facilities. I guess if you would like to come and anchor and swim in than you could.
I am not sure what the rules are for the church docks, but I would have to guess they are private and open to the public during service hours.

Please lets not go on a witch hunt with this thread, we are all just here to enjoy our little piece of heaven.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:58 PM   #48
Jonas Pilot

Quote:
I think the real question here is access to the Society property. I know first hand that there was an access easement granted to the Society, however they do not have any dock facilities. I guess if you would like to come and anchor and swim in than you could.
I am not sure what the rules are for the church docks, but I would have to guess they are private and open to the public during service hours.

Please lets not go on a witch hunt with this thread, we are all just here to enjoy our little piece of heaven.
I wholeheartedly agree. We are all here to enjoy this wonderful location. It should not be, I am here to enjoy this all for myself.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:02 PM   #49
pam.in.ny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
You can purchase the book for $10 at the Bear Island Mail Dock starting late June. Or you can purchase it by mail. I have just added information on purchasing the book to the bearisland.org website.
BI, Thank you very much for the information. I'll definitely be ordering one via the mail. I have a couple others NH history books and would love to add another one to my collection.

Thank you again, BI, for the adding the purchasing info to the website.
pam.in.ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:06 PM   #50
jmen24

Quote:

No witch hunt needed BI South, from the Bear Island posters that have responded in this thread, it shows a minority in narrow minded thinking.

Thank you for that nice picture of the Chapel.
The Following User Says Thank You to jmen24 For This Useful Post:
CTYankee (04-28-2012)
Old 04-27-2012, 07:30 PM   #51
Jonas Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander View Post
Barney,

Barney,
When would be the best time to come over? If I came very early in the morning could I beat the thousands coming later?
Old 04-27-2012, 08:08 PM   #52
ishoot308

Default Sounds Great!!

Quote:
Thank you so much B.I. South!! Do you know when the church updates their web site showing the time and dates of service?? I would love to bring my pet for the special pet blessing service. She is currently not doing well and the comfort of the blessing and service would mean a lot to me and my wife.

Thanks again!!

Dan
Old 04-28-2012, 12:14 AM   #53
Barney Bear

Smile Bear Island Information

For the thousands of boaters interested in our great island, check this very comprehensive web site [www.bearisland.org] - - and enjoy!!!.

Last edited by Barney Bear; 04-28-2012 at 12:57 AM. Reason: omitted web site
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barney Bear For This Useful Post:
Bear Islander (04-28-2012), CTYankee (04-28-2012)
Old 04-28-2012, 06:00 PM   #54
secondcurve

Jmen: Aren't you employing the same narrow minded view used by Bear Islander to keep folks off of Bear Island but on a larger scale by jabbing at the out of state folks? Your implication is seasonal folks are second class citizens in NH.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:00 PM   #55
Bear Island South

Default Bear Island Journey

I would like to share our journey today on the island, we set out to look for the hidden graveyard and made a couple of other stops along the way.
First stop St Johns Church.
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bear Island South For This Useful Post:
Just Sold (04-29-2012), Rattlesnake Gal (04-30-2012)
Old 04-28-2012, 08:03 PM   #56
Bear Island South

Default Dolly's Well

On our way to Dolly's Well my boy Sam found a dear antler.
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bear Island South For This Useful Post:
Just Sold (04-29-2012), Pineedles (04-29-2012), Rattlesnake Gal (04-30-2012)
Old 04-28-2012, 08:07 PM   #57
Jonas Pilot

Thanks for sharing. It looks like you have a lot of fun exploring.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:13 PM   #58
Bear Island South

Default The Graveyard

We think we found the graveyard, it was marked with stonewalls forming a square roughly 20 feet square. There were what looked like a few stone monuments located inside the stone boundaries. The site is located close to camps on either side. My son kept saying it feels weird being here, we were very respectful of the site and did not disturb anything.
Attached Images

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bear Island South For This Useful Post:
CTYankee (04-29-2012), Just Sold (04-29-2012), Pineedles (04-29-2012), Redwing (05-04-2012)
Old 04-28-2012, 08:20 PM   #59
Bear Island South

Quote:
Thank you so much B.I. South!! Do you know when the church updates their web site showing the time and dates of service?? I would love to bring my pet for the special pet blessing service. She is currently not doing well and the comfort of the blessing and service would mean a lot to me and my wife.

Thanks again!!

Dan
I haven't seen anything yet, they usually have a work party when the take the boards off the windows and clean the trails. (see pictures from today - boards are still up) The will post a schedule at the church and Cattle Landing, I will keep you posted.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bear Island South For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (04-29-2012)
Old 04-28-2012, 08:48 PM   #60
Jonas Pilot

I wonder if there were ever any year round residents on Bear?
Old 04-29-2012, 08:53 AM   #61
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post

Jmen: Aren't you employing the same narrow minded view used by Bear Islander to keep folks off of Bear Island but on a larger scale by jabbing at the out of state folks? Your implication is seasonal folks are second class citizens in NH.
In a sense yes, but I did not paint with a broad brush. More BI residents posted welcomes than "stay away" attitudes. I have to assume that at least CTYankee is from Conn. I made no assumptions in my posts about state of residence, just mine.

My statement was to simply imply that those two posters should really take a long look at why they responded in this thread the way that they did. Nice folks are nice folks, it does not matter where they register their cars. I stand behind my statement.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmen24 For This Useful Post:
CTYankee (04-29-2012), Jonas Pilot (04-29-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 10:06 AM   #62
Islander

Barney Bear posts a general invitation to use the church docks and tour the island. I posted to ask who that person was and ask if they had the authority to extend the invitation. So naturally I need to be bashed for being unneighborly. That is just the way it goes on a public forum. We still do not know if the invitation is legitimate or not. I will take the chance of being unneighborly again and say that an invitation from an anonymous person with unknown authority is no invitation at all. If you end up talking to the Meredith Police tell them that a bear invited you.

If the invitation turns out to be legit then enjoy the island. It's a great place!
The Following User Says Thank You to Islander For This Useful Post:
garysanfran (09-01-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 10:09 AM   #63
CTYankee

Default You Found It!

Yes, Bear Island South, you found the cemetery. I can see my camp through the trees. It is believed that eight early settlers of Bear Island rest there. Although no one is really sure, the stone in your photo may be a grave marker.
CTYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:14 AM   #64
Barney Bear

Default Early Island Residents

In the seventeenth century, there were several farms on Bear Island. The large number of stone walls all over the island defined pastures for grazing cattle. Cattle Landing on Meredith Neck was an active area [very moooving]. One resident, Dolly, farmed here and probably lived here full-time, and probably others as well. There are many other interesting stories in Bear Island Reflections that folks may enjoy reading.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #65
Barney Bear

Default St. John's-on-the-lake Chapel

Please visit www.stjohnsonthelake.com for information pertaining to this wonderful location on Bear Island.
The Following User Says Thank You to Barney Bear For This Useful Post:
NoBozo (04-29-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 04:17 PM   #66
Barney Bear

Default Canine Congegation

Dogs frequently attend services at St. John's-on-the-Lake.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:30 AM   #67
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
In a sense yes, but I did not paint with a broad brush. More BI residents posted welcomes than "stay away" attitudes. I have to assume that at least CTYankee is from Conn. I made no assumptions in my posts about state of residence, just mine.

My statement was to simply imply that those two posters should really take a long look at why they responded in this thread the way that they did. Nice folks are nice folks, it does not matter where they register their cars. I stand behind my statement.
At least you acknowledged my point....that is a start. Thanks
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:21 AM   #68
Bear247

Took this on one of our many walks to the church over the years.
Attached Images

Bear247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:15 PM   #69
Islander

The question was raised earlier about using the Church Docks to visit Bear Island or the forest on South Bear.

This sign is posted at the Church Docks and I think it speaks for itself.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Islander For This Useful Post:
garysanfran (09-01-2012)
Old 09-01-2012, 08:16 AM   #70
ishoot308

While the docks may be private, there is a public right of way from the waters edge to the forest land. It looks like a narrow walking path. I have a copy of the town map showing this right of way supplied by the forest society. If anyone would like a copy, P.M. me and I can send it on Tuesday after the holiday weekend.

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 09-02-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #71
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Anyone that wants to explore the island's trails just let me know I don't mind if you want to stop by. Heck I'll probably join you and give you a tour of all the areas I'm familiar with.

Anyone on Rattlesnake want to trade access...?
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
NoBozo (09-02-2012), Pineedles (09-02-2012), secondcurve (09-03-2012)
Old 09-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #72
Bear Island South

Quote:
While the docks may be private, there is a public right of way from the waters edge to the forest land. It looks like a narrow walking path. I have a copy of the town map showing this right of way supplied by the forest society. If anyone would like a copy, P.M. me and I can send it on Tuesday after the holiday weekend.

Dan
Our place is over in that vicinity and the only walking path I have seen is from the church docks. I know exactly where the Society right of way is and the strip of land is also shared common land with two camps that have beach access. The Town of Meredith also owns a lot that is 80 feet in width that abuts the Society land.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bear Island South For This Useful Post:
Bear247 (09-05-2012), ishoot308 (09-04-2012), Seaplane Pilot (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 07:32 AM   #73
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Default Rattlesnake Hike

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Anyone that wants to explore the island's trails just let me know I don't mind if you want to stop by. Heck I'll probably join you and give you a tour of all the areas I'm familiar with.

Anyone on Rattlesnake want to trade access...?
You can stop by and hike from our place. I warn you, it is very steep! A day that isn't too windy would be best as we do not have a breakwater.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:26 PM   #74
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Our place is over in that vicinity and the only walking path I have seen is from the church docks. I know exactly where the Society right of way is and the strip of land is also shared common land with two camps that have beach access. The Town of Meredith also owns a lot that is 80 feet in width that abuts the Society land.
Thanks. I hope everyone that visits waves hello to Islander on their way by.
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 06:42 AM   #75
bbfan33

Default GPS Map

Does anyone have a copy of the GPS map that BearIslander referred to in this post from 2012:

to respect his wishes, please feel free to private message me to discuss
thanks
Bbfan33 on East Bear Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander
I created the Bear Island Map from scratch by walking the island with a GPS attached to my hat. And yes, I received funny looks. The GPS unit recorded my exact location every 20 seconds and way-points when I pressed a button. When transferred to computer this data provides the basic elements of a map.

The map contains many elements that are sensitive in nature. It has the exact location of Historic Sites we wish to preserve including an unmarked graveyard. Break ins have occurred in the off season and public access to a detailed map could make that easier.

Additionally the entire island is private property and is only open to residents and their guests. The 911 system, police, fire, utility companies, residents and island contractors have been given access to the map. I will be happy to give a copy to anyone having a legitimate interest, but I do not feel that publishing it on the internet is in the island's best interest.
bbfan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:46 AM   #76
Barney Bear

Default Bear Island Chapel

Folks interested in this special place on Bear Island should see their web site, www.stjohnsonthelake.org. 🐻
Old 07-29-2018, 05:40 PM   #77
Oblio13

Quote:

Dan
I'm the Forest Society's Land Steward for Bear Island, perhaps I can help clarify.

All of the Society's reservations are open to the public. However, some - like this one - are difficult to access.

The town of Meredith owns a lot that abuts the Forest Society land, but there is no dock there.

There is a narrow right-of-way by the church's docks, but the docks themselves are owned by the church.
Oblio13 is offline   Reply With Quote