Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2022, 09:17 AM   #1
dippasan

Default Scenic Drives

Hi all,
Looking to get off the island for a day next week to take a scenic drive north. We have a Mustang GT drop top and we're looking to cruise for a whole day. It's our first summer with the car and I'm dying to do what it was made for.

Of course, I know about all the most common stops.
-Kanc
-Rt 302
-Mt Washington Auto Road

Kind of leaning towards a loop, due west from Lincoln on Rt 112 to Rt 302 near Bath. Then Rt 302 to Rt 16. We haven't explored much heading west of Rt 93.

I'd love to hear of any "must see" / "hidden gem" drives and stops in our beloved state.

thanks
Old 06-28-2022, 09:32 AM   #2
8gv

This is a long drive and it may require an overnight stay.

Take route 3 north to Stafford, NH.

There you can pick up route 105 and go west, forever.

You can quit at Newport VT or continue to St Albans.

Bring your gas can...
8gv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 09:46 AM   #3
dippasan

Default Northeast Kingdom Vt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
This is a long drive and it may require an overnight stay.

Take route 3 north to Stafford, NH.

There you can pick up route 105 and go west, forever.

You can quit at Newport VT or continue to St Albans.

Bring your gas can...
Thanks
Newport Vt, Troy Vt, Northeast kingdom and Route 105 are awesome.
I've driven all around there.
Kind of want to stay in Nh and keep it to a day.
thanks again
Old 06-28-2022, 10:21 AM   #4
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

I'd go west, then north along the CT River, stop at the Fort at #4 reenactment. Here's the route, which includes 9 covered bridges. https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/new-...-road-trip-nh/
It's about 70 miles plus time to the start and return to Alton.

I had three of those cars, 1969, 1987 and 1989. They're so much fun, it doesn't matter where you go.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 10:37 AM   #5
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

This is a loop up though Evans Notch, then west north of the mountains, then down through Franconia Notch to North Woodstock then west and down a twisty road to Warren and then back east on Rt 25.

From Conway go east on 113 then 302 to just entering Fryeburg. North on 113 across the river and up through Evans Notch. Photo is at Evans Notch; cold day with top up. Then Rt 2 west to Rt 3 south and 93 to North Woodstock. Lunch at the North Woodstock tavern. Then West on 112 to 118 south (Sawyer HW) a twisty road. Then 25 east back to 93.

BTW, Bear Notch Road between Bartlett and the Kanc is nice to try sometime.
Attached Images

Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2022, 11:22 AM   #6
dippasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
I'd go west, then north along the CT River, stop at the Fort at #4 reenactment. Here's the route, which includes 9 covered bridges. https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/new-...-road-trip-nh/
It's about 70 miles plus time to the start and return to Alton.

I had three of those cars, 1969, 1987 and 1989. They're so much fun, it doesn't matter where you go.
This is great
Thank you
Love mustangs.
66 coupe was my first car
later on I had a 65 convertible and I restored a 66 Fastback.
I have a 2007 GT Convertible now with 14k miles
Old 06-28-2022, 11:25 AM   #7
dippasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
This is a loop up though Evans Notch, then west north of the mountains, then down through Franconia Notch to North Woodstock then west and down a twisty road to Warren and then back east on Rt 25.

From Conway go east on 113 then 302 to just entering Fryeburg. North on 113 across the river and up through Evans Notch. Photo is at Evans Notch; cold day with top up. Then Rt 2 west to Rt 3 south and 93 to North Woodstock. Lunch at the North Woodstock tavern. Then West on 112 to 118 south (Sawyer HW) a twisty road. Then 25 east back to 93.

BTW, Bear Notch Road between Bartlett and the Kanc is nice to try sometime.
Wow
Looks like I'll need to go for 2 drives next week!
bear Notch is fun. Hard to decide to go right or left at the ends.......

Thanks
Old 06-28-2022, 02:06 PM   #8
Slickcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by dippasan View Post
Wow
Looks like I'll need to go for 2 drives next week!
bear Notch is fun. Hard to decide to go right or left at the ends.......

Thanks
If you are going north, turn left!

My first NEW car was a '68 coupe in Acapulco Blue with a 302 code J mill and a 4 speed stick. I would love to have that now!

Alan
Old 06-28-2022, 03:59 PM   #9
dippasan

Quote:
If you are going north, turn left!

My first NEW car was a '68 coupe in Acapulco Blue with a 302 code J mill and a 4 speed stick. I would love to have that now!

Alan
Fantastic
Let me guess, vinyl top.......$4000 +/- new?
Old 06-28-2022, 06:34 PM   #10
Slickcraft

Quote:
Fantastic
Let me guess, vinyl top.......$4000 +/- new?
Not that much but I don't really recall. It was a while ago. I think a bit over $3K. Options over the base price were a few more bread crumbs back then. However I had just made Capt in the USAF then but pay was zilch. Anyway, the Pony was fun.

Alan
Old 06-28-2022, 09:04 PM   #11
marinewife

Name:  bearnotch-oct.jpg
Views: 1427
Size:  112.5 KB

I second Bear Notch Road off the Kanc but in October for phenomenal views~
marinewife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marinewife For This Useful Post:
dippasan (06-29-2022), Slickcraft (06-29-2022)
Old 06-29-2022, 06:11 AM   #12
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default NH Scenic Drives

Jeez! There are tons! Depends on destinations, day trips, etc. Rte 105 is an excellent choice. Think Route 113 to Maine is another great road. 132, 135, 13 come to mind. NH is a great destination for sports cars and motorcycles! Google car rallies or bike tours in NH and you will get the hint!

The missus has a 65 Mustang convertible in which she and girlfriends often do the 'Thelma and Louis' bit. So watch out!

I have an allroad so love the twist and turns and occasional class IV roads like Tripoli and or Sandwich Notch roads.

Rte 16 past Conway is awesome! Lake Umbagog and Mooselookmeguntic are very pretty and if you like to fish...........................
dippasan (06-30-2022)
Old 06-29-2022, 08:49 AM   #13
Slickcraft

Rt 118 Sawyer Highway last fall:
Attached Images

Old 06-29-2022, 09:11 AM   #14
SailinAway

One of the prettiest areas of New Hampshire is route 16 from Berlin to Errol through Thirteen-Mile Woods along the Androscoggin River. From Errol (stop at LL Cote outdoor store) you can take route 26 west to Dixville Notch. I have this itinerary in my notes:

"Gorham Rt. 16 through Milan and the beautiful Thirteen Mile Woods to Errol, where you'll turn west on Rt. 26 through Dixville Notch, past the famous Balsams Resort, to Colebrook; this stretch is curvaceous and spectacularly scenic.

"At Colebrook, turn south on Rt. 3 and stop at the Shrine of our Lady of Grace; then continue, following the winding Connecticut River.

"In Groveton, turn east on Rt. 110 to Stark, famous for its picture-perfect covered bridge, and back to Berlin."

Also: Beaver Brook Falls Wayside, 2.4 miles north of Colebrook on Rte 145. The 110' falls are worth seeing. There's a picnic area with short walking paths tp the falls.

Another alternative for the return trip from Dixville Notch is route 26 east through Grafton Notch.

I normally go kayaking and camping for several days in this area, but one beautiful fall day I did the whole tour in one day and really enjoyed it. This is an outdoor tour with few restaurants along the way, so take ample food.
SailinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SailinAway For This Useful Post:
dippasan (06-30-2022)
Old 06-29-2022, 09:49 AM   #15
Slickcraft

Agree on the ride from Berlin to Errol and the L.L Cote store. Also lunch across the street at the Errol Restaurant and Pub.

Alan
Old 06-29-2022, 11:38 AM   #16
NH.Solar

I93 through the Notch, exit 34C past Echo Lake and the Cannon lodges and downhill to the light Franconia, go straight and drive about another 3/4 mile then turn left on 117 toward Sugar Hill.
A couple of miles up and about a 1/4 mile before Polly's Pancake you will come across Lover's Lane on the right, definitely take that loop because the view from the top of Peckett's Hill back through the Notch is amazing! Continue on for another mile or so and turn left on Sunset Hill Road and go up to the Inn. This used to be one of the best lupine fields and prettiest spots in NH, but now there is a wedding venue and three new houses (and one of them is BUTT ugly). The biggest sin is that the Town could have bought the field for $300K and kept it as was but passed on it. There is a little deck just before Sunset Hill House where you can enjoy a truly scenic picnic and across the street is a wonderfully fragrant bank of rosa rugosas that may be in bloom just about now. Unfortunately the Sampler at the base of Sunset Hill Road is now closed, it too was a very cool spot.
Go back to the bottom of the hill and turn left toward the village of Sunset Hill and park there for a few moments so you can go into Harmons Store and buy some of their truly delicious cheddar cheese (yum!). From there you can continue on 117 until you hit 302, turn left and drive until you can turn left onto 112 Lost River hwy), but I'd suggest picking up the Easton Road in Franconia and taking the backroads through Toad Hill to Rte 116 (Kinsman Hwy). Turn left on 116 and in 4 or 5 miles it runs right into 112. Turn left toward Lincoln and a couple of miles after Lost River Gorge resort turn right onto 118 and take that over Moosilaukee until it dead ends on Route 25 (Tenney Mt Hwy). Turning left on 25 will take you back to Plymouth.
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NH.Solar For This Useful Post:
dippasan (06-30-2022), Slickcraft (06-29-2022)
Old 06-29-2022, 02:09 PM   #17
loony

From Newport Vt. take backroads to CANADA 247 along the eastern side of lake memfremagog to Magog for lunch/dinner. Magog is a pretty french village with lots of restaurants, cafes, hiking and biking trails in the area. Theres also a beach. One very easy bike trail is out of the park in downtown and goes along the lake. They flood and groom this trail in winter for ice skating. Very picturesque.
I never have, but you could return along the western side of the lake.
Dont forget your passports...
loony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 08:40 AM   #18
dippasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Jeez! There are tons! Depends on destinations, day trips, etc. Rte 105 is an excellent choice. Think Route 113 to Maine is another great road. 132, 135, 13 come to mind. NH is a great destination for sports cars and motorcycles! Google car rallies or bike tours in NH and you will get the hint!

The missus has a 65 Mustang convertible in which she and girlfriends often do the 'Thelma and Louis' bit. So watch out!

I have an allroad so love the twist and turns and occasional class IV roads like Tripoli and or Sandwich Notch roads.

Rte 16 past Conway is awesome! Lake Umbagog and Mooselookmeguntic are very pretty and if you like to fish...........................
I know right?
So many great ones to choose from. I love the whole Rangeley Lakes area and spend weekends there all winter long snowmobiling. Love it.

Thanks
Old 06-30-2022, 08:43 AM   #19
dippasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
One of the prettiest areas of New Hampshire is route 16 from Berlin to Errol through Thirteen-Mile Woods along the Androscoggin River. From Errol (stop at LL Cote outdoor store) you can take route 26 west to Dixville Notch. I have this itinerary in my notes:

"Gorham Rt. 16 through Milan and the beautiful Thirteen Mile Woods to Errol, where you'll turn west on Rt. 26 through Dixville Notch, past the famous Balsams Resort, to Colebrook; this stretch is curvaceous and spectacularly scenic.

"At Colebrook, turn south on Rt. 3 and stop at the Shrine of our Lady of Grace; then continue, following the winding Connecticut River.

"In Groveton, turn east on Rt. 110 to Stark, famous for its picture-perfect covered bridge, and back to Berlin."

Also: Beaver Brook Falls Wayside, 2.4 miles north of Colebrook on Rte 145. The 110' falls are worth seeing. There's a picnic area with short walking paths tp the falls.

Another alternative for the return trip from Dixville Notch is route 26 east through Grafton Notch.

I normally go kayaking and camping for several days in this area, but one beautiful fall day I did the whole tour in one day and really enjoyed it. This is an outdoor tour with few restaurants along the way, so take ample food.
I drive the Rt 16 stretch from Berlin/Milan/Errol to Oquossoc Maine a lot. Beautiful ride along the river.
thanks
Old 06-30-2022, 08:46 AM   #20
dippasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH.Solar View Post
I93 through the Notch, exit 34C past Echo Lake and the Cannon lodges and downhill to the light Franconia, go straight and drive about another 3/4 mile then turn left on 117 toward Sugar Hill.
A couple of miles up and about a 1/4 mile before Polly's Pancake you will come across Lover's Lane on the right, definitely take that loop because the view from the top of Peckett's Hill back through the Notch is amazing! Continue on for another mile or so and turn left on Sunset Hill Road and go up to the Inn. This used to be one of the best lupine fields and prettiest spots in NH, but now there is a wedding venue and three new houses (and one of them is BUTT ugly). The biggest sin is that the Town could have bought the field for $300K and kept it as was but passed on it. There is a little deck just before Sunset Hill House where you can enjoy a truly scenic picnic and across the street is a wonderfully fragrant bank of rosa rugosas that may be in bloom just about now. Unfortunately the Sampler at the base of Sunset Hill Road is now closed, it too was a very cool spot.
Go back to the bottom of the hill and turn left toward the village of Sunset Hill and park there for a few moments so you can go into Harmons Store and buy some of their truly delicious cheddar cheese (yum!). From there you can continue on 117 until you hit 302, turn left and drive until you can turn left onto 112 Lost River hwy), but I'd suggest picking up the Easton Road in Franconia and taking the backroads through Toad Hill to Rte 116 (Kinsman Hwy). Turn left on 116 and in 4 or 5 miles it runs right into 112. Turn left toward Lincoln and a couple of miles after Lost River Gorge resort turn right onto 118 and take that over Moosilaukee until it dead ends on Route 25 (Tenney Mt Hwy). Turning left on 25 will take you back to Plymouth.
Wow
sounds like a lot of great destinations here. So many spots I havent heard of.
Nice ride BTW. Cobra? 289? 427?

Thanks
Old 06-30-2022, 08:49 AM   #21
dippasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by loony View Post
From Newport Vt. take backroads to CANADA 247 along the eastern side of lake memfremagog to Magog for lunch/dinner. Magog is a pretty french village with lots of restaurants, cafes, hiking and biking trails in the area. Theres also a beach. One very easy bike trail is out of the park in downtown and goes along the lake. They flood and groom this trail in winter for ice skating. Very picturesque.
I never have, but you could return along the western side of the lake.
Dont forget your passports...
Newport and Magog are great towns and destinations like bookends on Lake Memphremagog. Northeast Kingdom is great.
Old 06-30-2022, 10:13 AM   #22
Slickcraft

Quote:
Wow
sounds like a lot of great destinations here. So many spots I havent heard of.
Nice ride BTW. Cobra? 289? 427?

Thanks
Yeah I also was wondering. Looks like an AC Cobra maybe a Mark II?
Old 06-30-2022, 12:48 PM   #23
NH.Solar

That is a Factory Five and one of two I owned. The first was traditional white striped on blue and was really a much nicer vehicle. It had a very hot 347 stroker set up to breath and dynoed at 392 hp to the rear wheels at 6,300 rpm. Becuase it as heavily cammed and had big heads it didn't produce anywhere near as much power as the 390 that was in the red cobra, but it was a much better match for a 2200# pound car. The blue snake also had IRS and traditional 15" rims and rode and handled much nicer.
I bought the red car in the photo from a cash strapped buddy but never really liked it much. He purchased the 351 stroker from a hot rod shop fairly cheaply after the original motor buyer bailed. It had been set up to go into a Ford truck and would have been a great motor for that application, but big low end torque and low rpms are not all that great in a lightweight sports car. It only produced 297 rwhp and was all done by 5,200 rpm, it did however have monsterous midrange torque. It also had a 3 link solid rear axle and that combined with the 17" rims and lower profile tires made for a fairly harsh ride. I only kept it for one summer.
There is a perfect 91 Miata sitting downstairs in the garage now and I bought that with the intention of stuffing a V8 in it right away ...and then started driving it and fell in love with it just as it was. Going from 390 rwhp to about 90 in the same size car was quite a drop, but it is the "happiest" car I have ever owned. I bought it with just over 50K on the odometer and now it has closer to 150 and is begining to feel tired. One of these winter days a truck with a new 525 hp LS3 crate motor is bound to show up in my driveway
Old 06-30-2022, 02:07 PM   #24
Slickcraft

Quote:
That is a Factory Five and one of two I owned. The first was traditional white striped on blue and was really a much nicer vehicle. It had a very hot 347 stroker set up to breath and dynoed at 392 hp to the rear wheels at 6,300 rpm. Becuase it as heavily cammed and had big heads it didn't produce anywhere near as much power as the 390 that was in the red cobra, but it was a much better match for a 2200# pound car. The blue snake also had IRS and traditional 15" rims and rode and handled much nicer.
I bought the red car in the photo from a cash strapped buddy but never really liked it much. He purchased the 351 stroker from a hot rod shop fairly cheaply after the original motor buyer bailed. It had been set up to go into a Ford truck and would have been a great motor for that application, but big low end torque and low rpms are not all that great in a lightweight sports car. It only produced 297 rwhp and was all done by 5,200 rpm, it did however have monsterous midrange torque. It also had a 3 link solid rear axle and that combined with the 17" rims and lower profile tires made for a fairly harsh ride. I only kept it for one summer.
There is a perfect 91 Miata sitting downstairs in the garage now and I bought that with the intention of stuffing a V8 in it right away ...and then started driving it and fell in love with it just as it was. Going from 390 rwhp to about 90 in the same size car was quite a drop, but it is the "happiest" car I have ever owned. I bought it with just over 50K on the odometer and now it has closer to 150 and is begining to feel tired. One of these winter days a truck with a new 525 hp LS3 crate motor is bound to show up in my driveway
Wow thanks for the reply. Well, I really like the looks of the red one. However I would get in trouble with that much power!

We bought the 21 ND RF Miata last year (in photo at Evans Notch) and love the way it drives. Not real fast but fast enough. On the way home yesterday from a ride, a NA followed us for quite a ways and gave the horn toot as we pulled into our drive. Fun rides

Alan
Old 06-30-2022, 02:25 PM   #25
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Went from a VW Karman Ghia to Fiat 124 spyder to Porsche 912 to Mazda RX7 and finally the Miata for 2 seater convertible. All excellent vehicles!
Currently driving an allroad with sport package and stage one tune. Far better than the soccer mom vehicles. Lots of fun!

Name:  IMAG0248.jpg
Views: 1159
Size:  62.1 KB
Old 06-30-2022, 03:11 PM   #26
SailinAway

Quote:
Agree on the ride from Berlin to Errol and the L.L Cote store. Also lunch across the street at the Errol Restaurant and Pub.

Alan
P.S. Until about 5 years ago it was dangerous to drive back on route 16 after sunset because of the large number of MOOSE on that road (and all backroads). In the past few years I've seen NO moose in that area, whereas I used to see several on each trip. Still, I prefer to be out of the Great North Woods by sunset.
SailinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 04:45 AM   #27
Slickcraft

Quote:
. One of these winter days a truck with a new 525 hp LS3 crate motor is bound to show up in my driveway
Here is one with a LS1 for sale:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...ailer-auction/

Looks like a real sleeper

Last edited by Slickcraft; 07-03-2022 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07-03-2022, 01:10 PM   #28
Mr. V

Quote:
T
There is a perfect 91 Miata sitting downstairs in the garage now and I bought that with the intention of stuffing a V8 in it right away ...and then started driving it and fell in love with it just as it was. Going from 390 rwhp to about 90 in the same size car was quite a drop, but it is the "happiest" car I have ever owned.
My neighbor owned and raced a little Lotus for many years; he sold it and bought a new Corvette (pre-C8); he wishes he still kept the lighter Lotus, as the more powerful Vette lays down good numbers but is less fun to drive.

"Just add lightness" said Colin Chapman.
Old 07-11-2022, 07:36 AM   #29
dippasan

Default Road trip follow up

Thought I'd let you know the route we took on our road trip last Wednesday the 6th. Beautiful, comfortable day.
2007 Mustang GT Premium convertible with 14,000 original miles, bone stock with red interior.
God I love this state we live in!

-Left Alton and took Rt 11 to The Weirs, Meredith, then Rt 25 to Ctr Harbor
-Took Bean Road (AKA Squam Lake Road) out of Ctr Harbor to Rt 113
-113 around the back of Squam to Rt 175 in Holderness.
-Rt 175 to N. Woodstock for lunch a the Woodstock Inn/brewery
-Rt 112 due west past Lost River to Rt 302 in Bath.
-Rt 302 east all the way to Route 16 in Glen NH
-Rt 16 to Mt Washington Auto road and YES, to the summit. Pic of "The Chain House" at the summit named for the chains you can see that secure it to the mountain.
-Back down to 302 west to Bartlett. Up over Bear Notch to the Kanc.
-Kanc to 93 to Ashland and back to the lake.

sorry for the crooked photos. Damn Iphone
Attached Images

Descant (07-11-2022), KennyFromBoston (07-11-2022), NH.Solar (07-11-2022), Slickcraft (07-11-2022), upthesaukee (07-11-2022)
Old 07-11-2022, 05:19 PM   #30
NH.Solar

I took one of two bucket list jobs a few years back and became a tram operator at Cannon. It cost me more to drive there than I earned, but still was worth every minute. Here's a fun fact from that stint, on the day that Mt Washington recorded 231 mph the tram top hut recorded 204. Mt Lafayette on the other side of Franconia Notch is ~1200 feet higher but has no recording station. What do you suppose the wind speed was there?
Old 07-11-2022, 07:19 PM   #31
mofn

1) I second the Evan's Notch motion.
2) Overnight? Up through 13 mile woods to Errol and across to Rangeley.
Rangeley area...up Quill Hill (gravel road) or in Eustis up Kiby Mt. to the windmills
(gravel road) wild views! looking right into Canada.
The way home, the road to Stinkytown (Rumford) some great turnouts over looking the lakes. Hit Evan's on way back. In Conway the road to Effingham Falls/Freedom were Twin Pines? is, very nice ride and puts you back at Center Ossipee.
mofn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mofn For This Useful Post:
dippasan (07-12-2022)
Old 07-12-2022, 06:54 AM   #32
dippasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofn View Post
1) I second the Evan's Notch motion.
2) Overnight? Up through 13 mile woods to Errol and across to Rangeley.
Rangeley area...up Quill Hill (gravel road) or in Eustis up Kiby Mt. to the windmills
(gravel road) wild views! looking right into Canada.
The way home, the road to Stinkytown (Rumford) some great turnouts over looking the lakes. Hit Evan's on way back. In Conway the road to Effingham Falls/Freedom were Twin Pines? is, very nice ride and puts you back at Center Ossipee.
I've been snowmobiling the Rangeley/Eustis/Stratton/Moosehead area for 25 years and I couldn't agree more. Gorgeous area with endless scenic overlooks and mountainous countryside.
I've been to all the places you mention on snowmobile but not by car.
I've just added it to my bucket list.

Thanks