Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2022, 07:17 PM   #1
Cal Coon

Default Old fiberglass boats

I'm thinking about buying an old 1984 Formula (restored) fiberglass boat. It looks mint to the naked eye, but how can you tell if it has any rot underneath the exterior beauty of the boat, besides looking for soft spots on the floor of the cock pit, and the stern, (it is an inboard), or just "banging" around the hull with your hand so to speak? I have heard that Formula has no wood in their hulls, (all fiberglass), but if this is true, I don't know what year that started, or if they have always been built that way. I have gone on Formula talk forums, but have had no luck to this question. I will call a Dealer if need be, but don't want to waste their time with a "stupid question" at their busiest time of the year. Thanks in advance with any tips to look for.
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 08:36 AM   #2
LikeLakes

I don't know Formula's so not sure if they have wood stringers or not, my guess would be yes for 1984. If so, just banging around the floor won't tell the story. You need to get to the stringers and can do small core samples to test the condition. Some will tell you to just turn the engine mount bolts, if they snug up the stringers are in good condition. this may be true for that particular spot, but really more investigation is needed if you really want to know the condition. A marine surveyor could be hired to really give you a report on the boat, that would be the safest way to go.
LikeLakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 10:23 AM   #3
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Get a marine surveyor who emphasizes old fiberglass boats in his practice. Surveyors list their specialties on their websites. A surveyor can also tell a lot about the fiberglass moisture content, engine-compression, oil analysis, etc. and look at all other systems. A surveyor would normally want to see the boat out of the water as well as conduct sea trials.

This may be overkill for a 30+ year old boat, priced at a few thousand dollars.

Talking to a dealer is probably worthwhile. I wouldn't worry about how busy they are at this time of year. If they can't help you, they'll say so. Otherwise, I'd expect to pay them for an hour or two to do a compression check and inspect overall.

Getting service records from the seller may be beneficial.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 12:01 PM   #4
brk-lnt

Same answer for any used boat purchase: hire a surveyor.
Old 06-07-2022, 05:31 PM   #5
NHskier

When we bought our current boat the credit union required a marine survey before finalizing the loan. We used Mark Corke out of Maine, and he was quite responsive and thorough.