Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2017, 07:48 PM   #1
tummyman

Default Winter Tree Damage from Road Salt

I have noticed that my nice stand of pines at the edge of our property beside a town road seems to have a huge amount of brown needles. i see this along many roads, including many trees on RT93 close to the road. My suspicion, not based an any facts however, is that the use of brine for winter road treatment is having a very bad impact on the trees. Anyone else seeing this? If this is true, wonder what DES is doing about it?
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:18 PM   #2
Hillcountry

I just noticed this same thing on 93 on the way to Plymouth and wondered the same?
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:20 PM   #3
SAB1

Yes it's very obvious down here in Mass as well. It's also much worse for vehicles.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:13 AM   #4
Onshore

Default Road Salt Reduction Initiatives

https://www.des.nh.gov/organization/...tive/index.htm

You can view last year's Road Salt Reduction Symposium presentations here:
https://www.des.nh.gov/organization/...-symposium.htm

Last edited by Onshore; 05-11-2017 at 08:18 AM. Reason: added second link
Onshore is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Onshore For This Useful Post:
tummyman (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 08:44 AM   #5
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Too much salt being used today, hardly any sand. Is it our "instant gratification" society demanding wet roadways as soon as the snow stops?
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (05-12-2017), LIforrelaxin (05-12-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2017, 01:25 PM   #6
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Too much salt being used today, hardly any sand. Is it our "instant gratification" society demanding wet roadways as soon as the snow stops?
Yeah. Listening to radio/TV, it is now "The road crews are getting out there early to spread "mix" before the snow starts." And nobody wants to slow down to 35-45. People still have to drive to work. DOT and DES are both working, per above post, to reduce salt use. Even sand presents a problem as it soaks up oil and other chemicals on the roads and washes to the side, eventually to go into the watershed. In the extreme, the alternative is to go off the road, cut your oil pan and gas tank and leak those fluids into the groundwater. Years ago the fire trucks didn't go to every accident, or they hosed the road clean. Now they are the hazmat crew and often pick everything up to be trucked away. It's different, and, I hope, getting better.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 03:00 PM   #7
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

The pines have had a problem though for a few years now. One can have the problem and right next to it another tree is fine. I don't know what caused it, I guess it could be the salt, but I think it has happened where there is no salt-like in the woods.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:39 AM   #8
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
The pines have had a problem though for a few years now. One can have the problem and right next to it another tree is fine. I don't know what caused it, I guess it could be the salt, but I think it has happened where there is no salt-like in the woods.
There is a disease that harms white Pines, that has moved into New England... it effects some trees and not others.. My condo property here in Ma. has had a deal with it alot... It is known as the blight... not only does it effect some trees but not others, but even further some trees seem to be able to recover from it but not others....

That being said, I also believe that road salt and the liquid bring they use todays on the roads has some bad effects as well....if you are on a busy road, that gets lots of salt and brine through the winter, it is not at all surprising, that grass trees and shrubs die off.....
Old 05-15-2017, 06:25 AM   #9
jetlag100

I thought it was "winter burn". Winter burn...caused by fluctuating temps. in the winter, and ripping winds..
jetlag100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:15 PM   #10
Woody38

I always felt that these trees were dying on Cape Cod, then all of a sudden new needles were apparent.
Some pines do lose needles in the winter so keep watching and possibly new needles will appear.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic.
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:59 AM   #11
SIKSUKR

If you look at roadside pines you will see that in general only down near the bottom that faces the road has the brown needles.Clearly these are the needles that get hit by snow from the snowplows of salted roads.I've noticed this for many moons.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:27 AM   #12
Coolbreeze

Try spreading gypsum in granular form under the trees and bushes you suspect having salt ldamage. The gypsum helps speed the salt through the soil away from the roots of the plants
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:31 PM   #13
secondcurve

I think the drought last year also did a number on the evergreens. I lost a few down here in Massachusetts from lack of water.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote