Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2011, 09:27 PM   #1
twentworth12

Smile AT&T 3G live in Laconia and Gilford

At some point over the last couple of weeks, AT&T finally enabled 3G in the Lakes Region. In the past, we were stuck with EDGE data speeds, if data worked at all. I'm happy to report that my iPhone was getting great 3G performance over the weekend. And the coverage seems to have improved too. Does anyone know exactly when the switch occurred? Is 3G available across the entire area now?

This is great news for those of us still on AT&T. I was considering moving to the new Verizon iPhone, but with 3G now in the Lakes Region, I'm going to stay put!
twentworth12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:20 PM   #2
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Have you seen these as well?

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/why/3gmicrocell/

Great if you are having bad reception at youur home with AT&T.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:36 PM   #3
This'nThat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattle Isle Windy Side View Post
It allows my cell phone to work in the house (mostly)...but the entire concept is a bit off....paying to use something that should work anyhow..while relieving congestion on their network and using the internet you also pay for..
These things work great! But the only expense should be the up-front purchase price, shouldn't it? You don't have to purchase the monthly "unlimited" service -- unless, of course, you want to use the phone as your main phone. Then it would make economical sense, because at $20/month, it beats all VOIP options from the likes of Vonage, Metrocast, etc.
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:14 PM   #4
jrc

I just checked the ATT website and they still show much of that area as EDGE. I hope you are getting stable good coverage and not just some fluke. I'm looking at a wireles internet solution for next boating season. I have a VZ blackberry so I know their coverage is pretty good but I really hope for a solid competitor to keep them honest.

Anyone else seing 3G speeds on ATT in Gilford?
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:09 PM   #5
This'nThat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattle Isle Windy Side View Post
Theres no way one would want to use the Microcell as a main phone....it has a terrible lag and drops calls, although it has gotten better over the last 3-4 months.

Its just criminal that they charge you for the thing and use minutes off your plan when all you are doing is helping them by taking traffic off their network and putting it on your web, which you pay for.
I've not had any problems with the Microcell at all. I find it's much more reliable than other providers.

As for cell coverage -- check with your town, first, and ask them why they won't allow cell towers. I've read about Alton on this forum, for example -- the argument centers around "asthetics", of all things -- and Alton refuses to allow cell phone towers. It's not AT&T.
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2011, 03:38 PM   #6
livefreeordie

3G from Laconia all the way up 93 to Loon....
livefreeordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 02:24 PM   #7
no-engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by livefreeordie View Post
3G from Laconia all the way up 93 to Loon....
That is early, as ATT customer support told me a few days ago that a new tower along Route 3 (a few miles north of Meredith) at junction of Route 118, (which is Woodstock I thought!), would be activated about end of month!

So, ATT is pushing out their towers. Also, a person in the "Meredith Bay" community said ATT rents space inside they top of hill light house! All the better for Meredith and Route 3 north, which always was w/o signals till Plymouth. I'll stick with ATT!
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:50 PM   #8
loneskier

Default Access with AT & T

I was able to get access at Gunstock with AT &T. Yeah!
loneskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:29 PM   #9
hazelnut

I've seen huge AT&T 3G improvements all over the area lately. Someone somewhere flicked on a switch or something.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:00 PM   #10
HUH

Default Att

Hows ATT doing lately. Going to try activating my GSM phone with ATT on Monday. Hoping to say goodbye to Verizon
HUH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:10 AM   #11
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUH View Post
Hows ATT doing lately. Going to try activating my GSM phone with ATT on Monday. Hoping to say goodbye to Verizon
We are very spotty still on Mark. I have to stand on my head on the corner of my deck to get a marginal signal.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:18 AM   #12
windham17

I have also seen big improvements on my ATT iPad 3G this summer from Laconia/Paguas Bay. Still not super fast, but aout twice the speed as last yeasr.

I have a verizon wireless card for my work laptop, that works ok. Performance is fairly slow compared to more urban areas, but I can check my e-mail, etc. just no heavy data lifting.
windham17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:21 AM   #13
AC2717

Hi Have ATT&T on a Samasung Focus Windows Smart phone
and have great 3G coverage in Laconia, in Fact I have coverage all over the lake, and around it, I know cause I kept checking it when driving around the lake last week.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:37 AM   #14
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

I have AT&T on my cell phone and have great service most everywhere on the lake. I am on Welch and service is excellent with full bars of reception. I use a Verizon air card for internet service and that also works really well on Welch.

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:38 AM   #15
jrc

I'm going to have to try these guys. Verizon fell off a cliff recently in performance.

I've been using my tethered Verizon Blackberry this summer, only $20 extra a month and 2 Gig of data, plenty for everything except video.

All spring I was getting between 400Kbs and 900Kbs depending on signal. Last few weeks, I get five bars and 10kbs to 50kbs in the mornings. Sometime i get 200Kbs in the evening but no where near what I got before. Another person in the marina has the 3G Verizon stick and has the same issue.

It's not just the wireless signal, it's the network behind the signal as well. Verizon has great coverage and I love them for that. But they just don't get data, a bunch of Bellheads.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:47 AM   #16
AC2717

because of this conversation i looked at that Fandango 3gmicrocell thing for the house.
My question is this and I know I could just call them but do not have the time right now

I already have the unlimited everything plan on my phone, so would this cost me any more monthly then?

also what is the upfront cost of this thing? I did already fine a $100 mail in rebate on their website

We have a pre 1930's stucco home with plaster walls and coverage just basically is not in the house unless I sit at certain windows or go sit outside
Old 07-18-2011, 09:07 PM   #17
VtSteve

Blackberry users had Edge coverage even when AT&T was being ridiculed for Edge. Verizon's had to gradually reverse their CDMA network to finally get into the new age. That's why the iPhone with Verizon service isn't as robust. Granted, there are lots of places where Verizon still has better coverage. But AT&T has tried much harder, and has surpassed Verizon long ago in Caring.

Most over here are fed up with Verizon, who hasn't upgraded the network, or signal, in many, many years. It seems like this is an entirely different discussion on the lake than the last 2-3 years. Was Verizon really that good? Or was AT&T just not competing then?
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:09 AM   #18
Grant

AT&T coverage on the eastern side of the lake is spotty at best. Marginal signal in Wolfeboro, minimal in Tuftonboro, with primarily Edge coverage -- but it switches from Edge to H and off and back again quite often. I did manage to get one bar of "3G" (quotes intentional) and tethered my laptop to the Android, but the data rates were so slow I couldn't complete a speed test before the app timed out. But it's an entirely different story on the western side -- good signal.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:46 PM   #19
HUH

Im having problems lately in Glendale..ATT said they had a degraded antenna. Supposedly been fixed but now the signal goes from four bars to none and on and on like that. Anyone else seeing this?
HUH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:25 AM   #20
no-engine

Upgrade to the latest iOS, 5.1.1, and the iPhone reads 4G, but don't believe so; quite deceptive.

AT&T wireless is getting better & better. Regardless the carrier, all cell signals are spotty on 11A between Alton and Gilford, also up Rt. 3 between Meredith and Plymouth. I'm not in Wolfeboro very often, to remember the strengths.

Whoever wrote that "Meredith Bay Community" has cell antennas in the lighthouse, is accurate, as sales people told me same; as I drive by signals are stronger, which also improves reception in Meredith and Center Harbor areas.
We all should insist carriers negotiate with such places for their antennas.
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:21 PM   #21
ossipeeboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-engine View Post
Upgrade to the latest iOS, 5.1.1, and the iPhone reads 4G, but don't believe so; quite deceptive.

AT&T wireless is getting better & better. Regardless the carrier, all cell signals are spotty on 11A between Alton and Gilford, also up Rt. 3 between Meredith and Plymouth. I'm not in Wolfeboro very often, to remember the strengths.

Whoever wrote that "Meredith Bay Community" has cell antennas in the lighthouse, is accurate, as sales people told me same; as I drive by signals are stronger, which also improves reception in Meredith and Center Harbor areas.
We all should insist carriers negotiate with such places for their antennas.
ATT's 4g isn't really 4g, they too are going LTE like verizon they are just a year behind. Finally went LTE 4g in parts of portsmouth with verizon and once you hit 95 north till Portland it's great.
ossipeeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:46 AM   #22
codeman671

We just installed an AT&T Microcell on the island, it basically turns our cell signal into VOIP and works through our DSL service. We went from no real signal on the island to perfect signal. It only has a 50' radius of the unit, but for those that need cell signal when at their home on the lake it was a cheap and easy fix.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote