Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > Boating Issues > Speed Limits
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-25-2009, 06:56 AM   #1
OCDACTIVE

To be fair there is also another small letter in the Laconia Daily Sun today from a supporter. Opinion is fine. He doesn't say anything inflameatory. The only issue again is he says they FEEL safer with the limits. Again laws are not supposed to make you feel safer they are supposed to make you safer... I can't stand redundant laws that accomplish nothing.....
Old 09-25-2009, 09:15 AM   #2
Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE View Post
To be fair there is also another small letter in the Laconia Daily Sun today from a supporter. Opinion is fine. He doesn't say anything inflameatory. The only issue again is he says they FEEL safer with the limits. Again laws are not supposed to make you feel safer they are supposed to make you safer... I can't stand redundant laws that accomplish nothing.....
I'm curious who keeps the count of canoes and kayaks on the lake? According to the author (who is probably a member of WinnFABS - IMO) there were "many" more non powered boats on the lake.

Seems to me it's just another ficticious statistic - similar to all of the high speed accidents from previous years.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:19 AM   #3
onlywinni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I'm curious who keeps the count of canoes and kayaks on the lake? According to the author (who is probably a member of WinnFABS - IMO) there were "many" more non powered boats on the lake.

Seems to me it's just another ficticious statistic - similar to all of the high speed accidents from previous years.

Scare tactics, misinformation and right out lies-appear to be the tools utilized by the Extreme Speed Limit Supporters.

I have two questions:

-If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around does it still make a sound?

-If I blast across the broads at 65mph and no one is close enough to hear or see me are people still Traumitzed??????
Old 09-25-2009, 11:16 AM   #4
Woodsy

Deleted....

Reason: Poor attempt at sarcastic humor! Sorry guys!

Woodsy

Last edited by Woodsy; 09-25-2009 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:34 PM   #5
codeman671

Woodsy, I am not sure where you were trying to end up with your post. Onlywinni was criticizing supporters of the limit. Maybe you misinterpreted the post, or am I?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2009, 12:41 PM   #6
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
Woodsy, I am not sure where you were trying to end up with your post. Onlywinni was criticizing supporters of the limit. Maybe you misinterpreted the post, or am I?
I was kinda confused as well... Figured it would come out sooner or later.. I believe Woodsy is also a speed limit opposer.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:16 PM   #7
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE View Post
I was kinda confused as well... Figured it would come out sooner or later.. I believe Woodsy is also a speed limit opposer.
He is, which is why I could not understand where he was going with it.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:40 PM   #8
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
He is, which is why I could not understand where he was going with it.

If you read it carefully, he was trying to be sarcastic.

However, like all the speed limit threads for the past year, it doesn't really matter what he was trying to convey because nobodies mind is being changed anyway.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:45 PM   #9
Wolfeboro_Baja

One of the problems I’ve had with all the speed limit rhetoric this year has been the frequent references to “the testing done last year” or “the lake has been paradise these last 2 years”. Apparently, these people don’t realize that the “testing” they keep referring to as taking place in 2008 was actually supposed to be done in 2007! I say “supposed” because they never marked the test zones AND never enforced a temporary speed limit in 2007!! Instead, all the MP did was collect data (on many areas of the lake, not just those intended “test speed limit zones”), recording how many boats were observed and at what rate of speed those boats were traveling. Anyone who was aware of this didn’t have to worry about being ticketed for “speeding” because they knew MP WAS NOT TICKETING! Therefore, there shouldn’t have been any false sense of security supposedly caused by boaters obeying a speed limit; there was no speed limit in 2007 to obey other than the usual posted NWZ’s and speed limits created/set by the 150’ rule. There was also NO speed limit OR testing in 2008!!! The ONLY thing speed-limit-related that happened last year was HB-847 was introduced, passed and signed into law effective 1/1/2009!!!

The “paradise” or “calmness” on the lake last year probably had more to do with the lousy weather, economy tanking and the high price of boat fuel!!!!

Just my 2 cents…………
Old 09-25-2009, 03:52 PM   #10
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
If you read it carefully, he was trying to be sarcastic.

However, like all the speed limit threads for the past year, it doesn't really matter what he was trying to convey because nobodies mind is being changed anyway.
Yes he was. I do happen to know Woodsy personally and I am confident he was being sarcastic.

He and Onlywinni surely see eye to eye on this issue. I believe Woodsy was merely pointing out that nobody could possibly be Traumatized by any boat traveling at any speed ever. The definition of the word clearly spells that out. That doesn't stop the SL supporters from using terms like that to support their cause.

Last edited by hazelnut; 09-26-2009 at 08:18 AM.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:28 PM   #11
Woodsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
OnlyWinni...

I think your a bit off here.... perhaps you need to look up the definition?? I will do it for you...

Main Entry: trau·ma·tize
Pronunciation: \-ˌtīz\
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): trau·ma·tized; trau·ma·tiz·ing
Date: 1903
: to inflict a trauma upon

Main Entry: trau·ma
Pronunciation: \ˈtrau̇-mə, ˈtrȯ-\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural traumas also trau·ma·ta \-mə-tə\
Etymology: Greek traumat-, trauma wound, alteration of trōma; akin to Greek titrōskein to wound, tetrainein to pierce — more at throw
Date: circa 1693
1 a : an injury (as a wound) to living tissue caused by an extrinsic agent b : a disordered psychic or behavioral state resulting from severe mental or emotional stress or physical injury c : an emotional upset
2 : an agent, force, or mechanism that causes trauma

Of course a tree falling in the forest makes noise so what? What is your point? Nobody was there to witness/hear the tree fall. Nobody will be TRAUMATIZED by this event.... I suppose you walk in the forest just waiting for a tree to fall on you?

On the same note, blasting across the Broads at 65MPH TRAUMATIZES nobody! How can a boat minding its own business inflict any kind of trauma (with exception to the driver/passengers) regardless of what speed it travels? Especially if there isnt anyone around to witness the event!

If I were to apply your logic, you are probably too TRAUMATIZED to operate any sort of motor vehicle on the public roads even though there are speed limits and traffic rules (just as there are on the lake). I mean if 65 is too fast for a boat how do you ever drive on a highway?? Where (GASP) people routinely drive faster than the posted speeds and accidents occur?

Woodsy
This was an obviously poor attempt at sarcastic humor and was certainly not intended to insult OnlyWinni... I would feel awful if I traumatized him. It was an attempt to be sarcastic towards the logic often used by the speed limit supporters.....

Sorry if I offended in any way!

Woodsy
Old 09-25-2009, 06:42 PM   #12
VtSteve

I'm not sure it's possible to traumatize him with posts Woodsy.

I was traumatized this morning when I say three to five footers driven from the North here. I thought I was traumatized, but now I'm not so sure

They were going really fast for waves.