Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Pets
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2009, 09:47 PM   #1
eillac@dow

Default Pet Insurance

Ok.....who out there has pet insurance?

When did you get it....why did you get it? Are you happy you did? Do you think it is worth it?

My baby....19 month old german shorthaired pointer is basically the love of our lives.... but he has a keen way of draining our bank account.

At the age of 9 months or so he developed what was commonly referred to as Puppy Strangles...which is an Immature Immune System. Over it now.....Thank God....but cost us more than you can imagine.

2 weeks ago...."baby" got a Respiratory Infection and Conjunctivitis.....cost a good amount.

Now today....the "baby" ran through the electric fence (battery collar was dead....come to find out).....ran through the woods for a good 25 minutes....came home with a cut on his paw. Good size cut....today is Sunday...but you got to do...what you got to do. So a visit to the vet we go. More $$$$

So my question is......we never got Pet Ins. We had thought about it.......but before we knew it the "baby" got sick and it was to late. I think I read that once the pet is cleared 6 months from an illness they will be covered. So anyone got any thoughts....pros/cons of getting insurance? Am I too late?

Thanks everyone. You have always been so helpful regardless of what I am asking
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:55 PM   #2
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Aarp

has reasonable pet insurance. My cat Duke has asthma and its a godsend.

Be aware though, if the pet has pre existing condition it will not be covered. Also, they may require a complete check up.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:58 AM   #3
ironhorsetim

Default Be careful...

Some good friends of our's had a 4 year old boxer named Bo. They bought insurance for Bo when he was 6 months old, exam required (he passed). Well one day after Bo went running as he did almost everyday, our friends had to take him to be checked out (his breathing was labored) The vet told our friends Bo had a rapid heart beat but wasn't covered as it was a pre-exsisting condition, needless to say he died about 2 weeks later from heart failure. It could be worth it but look deep into the small print

"Always do sober,what you say you'll do drunk,
That will teach you to keep your mouth shut"
Ernest Hemmingway
ironhorsetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:36 PM   #4
moose tracks

Location: Loudon, Tennessee, foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains
Default Wish I had pet insurance

Our 6-year-old Dachshund came in one night from her daily walk and was walking very wobbly across the kitchen. We did not think much of it at the time but the next day she got worse. On day three her back legs were paralyzed and she was dragging herself around with her front legs. The Vet put her on crate rest. To make a long story short, she received a MRI on day five which revealed a ruptured disc in her back. After surgery to remove the ruptured disc she is back to walking and in a few more weeks, hopefully she will be running again. The cost for this care was over $5,000. Sure wish I had insurance.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:28 PM   #5
eillac@dow

Thank you all for responding......

I am happy to hear from you when I hear the good things....like Duke....being covered for his asthma.

Ironhorsetim....what a shock reading your post. How horrible.

Moosetracks.......Sorry to hear of your troubles. Mine were somewhat similar....but not as much $ It just kills you how much pet care costs. We had talked about insurance, but just never did it. And where did it get us? Deeper in the hole!

Thanks everyone....and great point about reading the "fine" print.
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2010, 10:01 AM   #6
MJM

Default We have it

We've had insurance (we got VPI, which seems fine, but I can't speak to which is best, etc.) since our Golden joined the family.

The way we look at it is this: For normal, routine,and minor stuff, it doesn't matter either way. But we have it just in case something major comes up.
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:42 PM   #7
robmac

We have Banfield which so far has been great,funny we got a call the other day to inquire if we wanted the wellness plan. After many other pets and no insurance,they are part of the family and I wouldn't want them insured as I wouldn't so I have piece of mind. ( and it's much more cost effective ! )
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote