Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Getting Here
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2009, 08:34 AM   #1
Webbsatwinni

Default 50+ car accident on I-93

We were coming up to NH to snowmobile and look at the ice growing when we were directed off I-93 at exit 3n because the highway was closed. We drove through the I-93 emergency route (very well marked, btw) and we ended up at exit 4 with only a 1/2 hour loss in time.

I searched the internet this morning to see what caused the closure and found the following story:

http://newsfeedresearcher.com/data/a...les.html#hdng0

It looks like we only missed it by a 1/2 hour or so.
Webbsatwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:01 PM   #2
chipj29

Be glad you weren't caught in no mans land after Exit 3. Nothing moving for at least 4 hours...that would have ruined your Sunday!
Old 01-12-2009, 12:03 PM   #3
AB_Monterey

Not the first time, there was a 50 car pile up in that same area on 2/25/06.
AB_Monterey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:13 AM   #4
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB_Monterey View Post
Not the first time, there was a 50 car pile up in that same area on 2/25/06.
I was in that one.There was one there just 2 weeks ago.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:54 AM   #5
AB_Monterey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
I was in that one.There was one there just 2 weeks ago.
I remember the date because we were towing my wife's 66 Valiant ragtop project home on a trailer from NJ and it had started to snow.

At the cloverleaf of 128 and 93, we made the decision to continue on 95 rather than get on 93.

Otherwise, we would've been in it ourselves.
AB_Monterey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2009, 01:35 PM   #6
This'nThat

Default Again, I-93 closed down

This time just North of exit 5 in Londonderry. Multi-car accident shuts down I-93 this morning. From the Union Leader.

Last edited by This'nThat; 01-19-2009 at 08:40 PM.
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:47 AM   #7
Belmont Resident

Default Witness the driving and you know why it happened

We were driving home from a company party in Boston Sunday morning between 5:00 and 7:00am.
Let’s say I have none, zero pity for those caught in the 2 accidents on that road.
We witnessed so many acts of stupidity we were amazed.
You could tell many of the biggest fools were heading for the slopes as the car racks were a dead give away.
We came across the plows lined up across the road from end to end just north of Manchester.
I have no idea what possessed these people to weave around all the other cars on the road and finally make it to the front only to cut off the plow to get ahead instead of patently driving behind like normal people were doing.
About 75% of all the drivers both NH and Mass. included were driving way to close to the cars in front making stopping impossible should the need arise.
So I’ll bet that 90% of the people caught in those 2 accidents were in the wrong, after all a rear collision is your fault almost always.
Oh and I like what one lady was quoted as saying, your roads are the blame for the accidents.
Common sense dictates slowing down if the conditions are bad not blaming others.

She was from Mass. As are 75% of the people we witness driving like idiots.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:12 AM   #8
SIKSUKR

Bingo.People driving too close on snowy roads is the cause of 95% of multicar accidents in winter.I too drove 93 south on Sunday around noon from Franconia to Manchester.The idiots are going 50-60 and only 2 car lengths of space.Must have seen at least 30 cars or bomb holes from cars off the road on the ride.Pretty big accident scene in Ashland.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:56 PM   #9
jeffk

Default Tires?

I also wonder how many people are trying to get by with all season tires rather than snow tires. In the snow we get here it can make a huge difference on some vehicles. I had a Honda Accord that was poor on the snow with all season tires but with snow tires you couldn't stop it, unless of course you were trying to.
jeffk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:21 AM   #10
Belmont Resident

Default the really sad part siksukr

Many of that percentage have kids in the car who will thru their parents actions also turn into idiots on the road. As well as being possible victims in the event of an accident.
I’ve noticed more and more of those bad driving habits during the off season.
In conversations with other contractors I’m learning that more of the second homes are now becoming primary homes as people retire and move hear from down south bringing the out of state driving habits with them.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:03 PM   #11
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Unhappy It's a serious problem.

I drive 50,000 plus miles a year. The things I see every day are frightening. Tailgating, weaving in and out of lanes, speeding and driving while texting and talking on a cell phone.

When gas was $4 bucks it seemed that there were fewer problems and fewer cars on the roads, but now the price is down, the idiots are returning to form.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:16 PM   #12
christo1

Default bad drivers

I hate to break it to you but there are plenty of bad drivers in New Hampshire too.
christo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:52 PM   #13
jeffk

Yeah, all of them moved here from out of state.
jeffk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:22 PM   #14
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
Yeah, all of them moved here from out of state.
I think you may be right jeffk. Years ago, before Rt93 and Rt95, I remember drivers knew how to drive in the snow ... usually slowly and considerately. My mother told me about when she was a young nurse in Nashua and had to get to work at night in a bad snow storm. She waited until a snowplow came along and she followed it. She didn't think he was going all the way to the hospital but she followed anyway. The plow driver stopped, got out and asked here where she was going. She said Hospital, he saw the white uniform and said "ok, follow me". Took her right to the staff parking lot. Every one else was staying off the roads .... because it was snowing!!
Old 02-17-2009, 05:10 AM   #15
Belmont Resident

Default it isn't funny any more

It used to be only during tourist season now it is all year long.
And it is no different on our trips to Maine. We will see someone doing something stupid and the first thing we look at is the plate. 90% of the time it is Mass., NY, NJ etc.
Last year we were driving back home and ran into a mini blizzard on 95 in the Augusta area. There was a new king cab truck with a 4-6 place trailer in the ditch facing the opposite way with parts all over the place. It had Mass plates.
For some reason they are always in a big hurry to get from point A to point B and do so at the risk of putting the rest of us in harms way. Then they blame our roads for being the problem, never once thinking had they slowed down they might have gotten there without having to sit in the middle of a pile up.
Then there are the ones doing 35 on the highway. Now that is not an out of state issue, it has been ongoing for ever. If you are afraid to drive in the snow stay home or take the back roads. I can see driving according to the conditions but when you can see the pavement or the temp is above freezing and the roads are wet then do the speed limit or a reasonable speed not 25 on 106 or 35 on 93. That’s as dangerous to the rest of us as doing 80 when it’s snowing.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:43 AM   #16
hazelnut

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
It used to be only during tourist season now it is all year long.
And it is no different on our trips to Maine. We will see someone doing something stupid and the first thing we look at is the plate. 90% of the time it is Mass., NY, NJ etc.
Last year we were driving back home and ran into a mini blizzard on 95 in the Augusta area. There was a new king cab truck with a 4-6 place trailer in the ditch facing the opposite way with parts all over the place. It had Mass plates.
For some reason they are always in a big hurry to get from point A to point B and do so at the risk of putting the rest of us in harms way. Then they blame our roads for being the problem, never once thinking had they slowed down they might have gotten there without having to sit in the middle of a pile up.
Then there are the ones doing 35 on the highway. Now that is not an out of state issue, it has been ongoing for ever. If you are afraid to drive in the snow stay home or take the back roads. I can see driving according to the conditions but when you can see the pavement or the temp is above freezing and the roads are wet then do the speed limit or a reasonable speed not 25 on 106 or 35 on 93. That’s as dangerous to the rest of us as doing 80 when it’s snowing.
Come on now. Lets not start this false accusatory all out of state drivers are bad and New Hampshire drivers are courteous considerate drivers. I could just as easily whip out the stereotypes on the NH drivers. This is a bad idea and it serves no purpose other than to categorize and blame.

Bad drivers come in all shapes, sizes, nationalities, and STATES!
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:41 AM   #17
ApS

Default I Dunno...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
"...This is a bad idea and it serves no purpose other than to categorize and blame...Bad drivers come in all shapes, sizes, nationalities, and STATES...!"
I dunno.

Columnist Dave Barry once said famously about South Florida drivers,

Quote:
"Here, we have drivers from a hundred different countries—all driving according to the rules of their native country!"

I agree with you about "all different sizes", however.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:01 PM   #18
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Agreed HN but a much bigger % comes from you know where.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:59 PM   #19
brk-lnt

Quote:
Come on now. Lets not start this false accusatory all out of state drivers are bad and New Hampshire drivers are courteous considerate drivers. I could just as easily whip out the stereotypes on the NH drivers. This is a bad idea and it serves no purpose other than to categorize and blame.

I travel quite a bit for my work. I've been to practically every state in the lower 48, logging miles in a rental car.

ALL drivers in every state suck. The whole country has a me first attitude that manifests itself a little different in each case, but for the most part if you took the plates off the cars you'd have no idea which driver comes from which state.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:55 AM   #20
Seaplane Pilot

Default Smokey & The Bandit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
I dunno.

Columnist Dave Barry once said famously about South Florida drivers,

[/B]

I agree with you about "all different sizes", however.

Put the pedal to the metal good buddy.
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote