Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Getting Here
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2008, 09:32 AM   #1
fatlazyless

Question HB 1203-new bicycle law

Just signed by Gov Lynch last week and going into effect on January 1, 2009, HB 1203 is a new bicycle safety law.

What it does:

Motorists cannot get closer than three feet to a bicycle or a moped, and for each 10mph above 30mph, the distance is increased by an additional foot. So, when passing a bicycle while driving 50mph, the safety buffer zone would be five feet.

Road construction safety designs: addressing items like roadway design, rumble strips and catch basin grates.

Requires bicyclist to have one safety reflector at night.

Some other items such as allowing a bicycle to pass a motor vehicle on the right.

Violations cost one hundred dollars.

www.cmonitor.com for long article

With all the hills, riding a bike in the lakes region is no picnic. Someone needs to invent an electric bicycle that can be peddled on the level, motor assisted on the uphills, and battery recharged on the downhills. If we can send a man to the moon...

Last edited by fatlazyless; 07-21-2008 at 12:36 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:45 PM   #2
SIKSUKR

Default You got your wish FLL

This link has a regenerative electric bike.Sort of.

http://www.electric-bikes.com/bikes/bikes.html#Urban
Old 07-21-2008, 01:14 PM   #3
AC2717

Default Woohoo

Cannot wait to have to be 5 feet away from a bicycle anywhere on Rt 3 with on coming traffic. A bicycle does not have a motor therefore it should not be on the road, or if need be on the road it should be inbetween the white line and the edge of the road, and NO they should not make a bike path and take away road space or caue millions in construction widening roads, taking down trees etc... They did a little of that in MA and it causes nothing but problems on the road and cost a fortune. I like to bike and I find it crazy that cars have to stay away from bikes, how bikes, which go slower, easier to move get out of the way of cars like it has always been.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:39 AM   #4
fatlazyless

Excellent link to a number of different rechargable, electric bikes. Good info, Siksukr.

With HB 1203, bicycles get a three foot safe passage law, that increases to 4-5-6 feet, as motor vehicles increase to 40-50-60mph.

Most travel lanes on NH roads are twelve feet wide, and a car is maybe six feet wide. A 53', 8 wheel or 12 wheel trailer is 8.5' wide, and a semi-tractor is 8' wide.

It is not at all uncommon to pass a bicycle on a narrow shoulder while driving a car at 40mph, so a 4' safety zone means the car has to cross the double center line. So, what does the car do if there is oncoming traffic? With his new law, apparently, the car is supposed to come to a stop and wait so it can cross the center line..
Old 07-22-2008, 06:59 AM   #5
Orion

Default more bike lanes?

FLL, do you really see a problem slowing down to 40 mph to pass a bike at 3 ft? Yiikes! I guess you've never experienced a close call while riding a bike. Like a lot of laws, this one seems to be merely putting in writing what makes common sense. But, if common sense were common, we wouldn't need as many laws, I guess.

With the energy concerns and costs, it sure would be nice to be able to bike to more places. Unfortunately, the roads are not bike friendly in most places and you're taking your life in your hands going out on a bike.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2008, 12:06 PM   #6
Island-Ho

Default Slow Down, Be Patient!

If I can't pass a bike safely by crossing the line, I will slow down to just above the bike's speed and pass at a safe distance. If it's not a safe distance then I will wait until I can make it a safe distance. That's how I would like cars to pass me while I'm biking, and I will do the same for them when I am in the car.
Island-Ho is offline   Reply With Quote