Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Getting Here
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2005, 12:01 PM   #1
JL Girl

Default Anybody notice Route #11 paving?

It probably happened (sometime between end of May and Friday June 24)when I wasn't looking but didja notice that Route #11 from way below Auntie's Dream (love that cottage name!) all the way to Ellacoya that the horrendous-nightmare-frost-heave-of-a-road that I wrote about in a previous thread last winter has finally been paved! I was coming back from Rochester, and not looking forward to riding on the road prep/finally fallen frost heaves/road crumbles and cracks, and before I knew it, I was in total disbelief. What a pleasure! I thought the paving wouldn't happen until 2-5 years or longer based on some of the input from forumers in the winter on what was happening. Did any of you have anything to do with getting this project moved up? If you did, you have my eternal gratitude and appreciation! I bet the business and residence owers that live along that road must be so pleased! Sorry to rave so much but driving that road yesterday was like riding on air! Simply "mahvelous", as Billy Crystal would say!
JL Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 05:00 PM   #2
DRH

JL Girl,

The resurfacing of Rt. 11 between Minge Cove Rd. in West Alton and Ellacoya State Park, which occurred just before Motorcycle Week, was a scheduled project. What they did is apply a relatively thin layer of asphalt on top of the existing, badly cracked, roadway. Unfortunately, it will probably be a relatively short time before it is cracked again. The actual rebuilding of that section of Rt. 11, which you remember being discussed here last winter, is not scheduled to occur until 2010 - 2013. Until then, although the current driving surface is very smooth for now, the road will no doubt continue to crack and heave each year until it is completely rebuilt.