Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2014, 12:07 PM   #1
baygo

Default I'm looking for a sled

I've decided that I would rather buy a sled than repair my RTV. I don't know alot about sleds so I'm looking for guidance. My budget is about $2,000 and I need something to pull a grooming drag for x-c skiing trails. Will not need a trailer. Thanks in advance for your advice.
baygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 12:37 PM   #2
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

If you are going to be pulling a drag you will need a long track to do so, anything that is 136" or over. Reason being you'll have that much more grip on the snow and a 550 fan or 600 liquid for a powerplant.

You'll probably therefore want to focus on getting a two up (two seat) or a long track single seat made for off trail/mountain riding.

2K may get you something older that might need a little work hard to say but keep your eyes on Craigslist. Unfortunately this is the time of the year when sleds fetch the most money.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 03:15 PM   #3
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default Al’s Snowmobile Parts Warehouse

BAYGO,

Do you have a drag?

We, the Moultonboro SMC Sold 3 older Skidoo Scandic Groomers and 3 Mogul Master Drags to Al's. Not sure what they are asking $$ for them. They were all well maintained by the Club.

We have replaced them with a John Deere "GATOR"

Al’s Snowmobile Parts Warehouse
“Used Parts Are Us” (1964 to present)
3868 Pine Hill Rd Newport, VT 05855
(802) 487-1000 • 24-hour FAX: (802) 487-1015
info@alssnowmobile.com
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:47 AM   #4
Winnisquamguy

Default This was just posted on FaceBook

Make me an offer. I don't need to sell it. It is a damn good sled.
I am selling my 2005 Yamaha Venture RS snowmobile. It needs primary clutch work, but otherwise in great shape! This is a great trail sled! Track is not picked and is in really good shape.
This is a very comfortable two person snowmobile! It is a four stroke, it has reverse, front and rear handwarmers, electric start, comes with a tank bag and a cover. Research the snowmobile online and you will find that it has a life expectancy of around 45,000 miles before a rebuild. 25,000 miles before it even needs the valves adjusted. It has 20k miles currently and it is a very reliable sled! Research the sled and motor.
Since I already have two additional sleds, I would consider cash or trade for a ATV.

His name is Jim Flanders out of Maine. It is on Snowmobilers Of New England page.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:20 PM   #5
baygo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINNOCTURN View Post
BAYGO,

Do you have a drag?

We, the Moultonboro SMC Sold 3 older Skidoo Scandic Groomers and 3 Mogul Master Drags to Al's. Not sure what they are asking $$ for them. They were all well maintained by the Club.

We have replaced them with a John Deere "GATOR"

Al’s Snowmobile Parts Warehouse
“Used Parts Are Us” (1964 to present)
3868 Pine Hill Rd Newport, VT 05855
(802) 487-1000 • 24-hour FAX: (802) 487-1015
info@alssnowmobile.com

I do have a drag.

Thanks for the heads up on the groomers. They were re-sold right away. I wish I had posted my question earlier.
The Following User Says Thank You to baygo For This Useful Post:
WINNOCTURN (11-06-2014)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2014, 01:23 PM   #6
baygo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamguy View Post
Make me an offer. I don't need to sell it. It is a damn good sled.
I am selling my 2005 Yamaha Venture RS snowmobile. It needs primary clutch work, but otherwise in great shape! This is a great trail sled! Track is not picked and is in really good shape.
This is a very comfortable two person snowmobile! It is a four stroke, it has reverse, front and rear handwarmers, electric start, comes with a tank bag and a cover. Research the snowmobile online and you will find that it has a life expectancy of around 45,000 miles before a rebuild. 25,000 miles before it even needs the valves adjusted. It has 20k miles currently and it is a very reliable sled! Research the sled and motor.
Since I already have two additional sleds, I would consider cash or trade for a ATV.

His name is Jim Flanders out of Maine. It is on Snowmobilers Of New England page.

If someone needed help do you think this sled could tow another a few miles without being over worked?

Does anyone have an idea of what an offer should be?
Old 11-06-2014, 02:21 PM   #7
HellRaZoR004

20k miles on a sled scares me - I don't care if it's a 4stroke or not. The engine might be able to handle it but all the other mechanical parts have a lot of wear...evident by the statement the clutches need work (appr. couple hundred $).

Craigslist is your friend. Problem you are going to run into is people want top dollar for their 10 year old sh!t. Right now is also when everyone asks a premium.

Don't be afraid to make an offer - the worst thing they'll say is no.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HellRaZoR004 For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (01-04-2015)
Old 11-06-2014, 03:25 PM   #8
pcmc

I tried to post links but my phone is operating at a snails pace.

Try checking:
Kelly Blue Book
NADA

They can offer a rough estimate of a machines value, and let you know about what to expect. From there I would contact the appropriate dealers and ask what a machine with 'X' number of miles on it should be going for AND what are the expected maintenance requirements AND the cost those jobs will be. The dealer can tell you weak links to look for, if you talk to the right guy.
There are certain years there were chassis changes, engine changes, fuel system changes, ect... Doing your research will get your best, most comfortable results.

Another option is to seek out rental companies that rent snowmobiles. They are usually based in high snow fall areas with trail systems. Imo, that might not be a bad idea.
Due diligence will pay off.
pcmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 06:14 PM   #9
MAXUM

Snowmobiles like any other toy you really have to be careful when buying. Age and mileage mean nothing - how they are ridden, cared for and stored make a world of difference. Many are beat to death, ridden hard, only maintained when they break and worst of all... left outside in the weather. When you find one that has been well cared for like anything it shows.

Yes mileage does play a part in any decision, but there is a big difference between hard miles on marginal conditions and bumpy trails versus easy miles on flat well groomed trails. If you don't know what to look for then it's best to bring somebody along that knows what to look for. I've seen sleds with less than 1000 miles that look like they have been to hell and back.

As mentioned there are problem areas with all makes, some years, chassis, motors etc.. all have had problems. I will say however Yamaha does make a good machine - and that's from somebody who is a Polaris snob. However something to consider is the weight of any sled used to drag a trail or more so breaking trail. That Yami is a nice machine, but a torpedo in un-tracked/deep snow.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:26 PM   #10
baygo

Default Thank You All

Thanks to all who offered up some advice. I ended up getting an 04 Polaris 550 Edge 2 up with 3700 miles for $2k.

No Limiits Metal Works is modifying the drag and and is confident the sled will work as a groomer.
Old 01-04-2015, 03:48 PM   #11
Bear Island South

I saw this one and thought you all might be interested, if we were guaranteed a long winter with tons of snow I would be all over it.
Attached Images

Bear Island South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 04:15 PM   #12
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Island South View Post
I saw this one and thought you all might be interested, if we were guaranteed a long winter with tons of snow I would be all over it.
Eh. That kind of looks like the Prius of snowmobiles to me. Not really sure I'd want to be seen driving it.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:07 PM   #13
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baygo View Post
Thanks to all who offered up some advice. I ended up getting an 04 Polaris 550 Edge 2 up with 3700 miles for $2k.

No Limiits Metal Works is modifying the drag and and is confident the sled will work as a groomer.
Make sure you get all the updates done to that 550 engine, especially if you are going to be working it hard dragging a groomer - they have a history of blowing pistons. Other than that, it's a nice machine.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:36 PM   #14
WeirsBeachBoater

I wish you the best, but am afraid we will see another post about the demise of that sled. That is prob the worst engine to work hard.
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote