Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2012, 04:13 AM   #1
Belmont Resident

Default Snow is going fast

What a lousy year for snowmobiling. Even worse if, like my wife, you bought a new sled.
I'm up in northern this week Maine and even here it was in the mid 40's yesterday.
Lots of dirt starting to show and with the temps not going below freezing (only made it to 32 for a low so far) the groomers don't bother go out.
Its going to be rough especially with school vacations starting.
Might get 2-3 inches tonight but that will only add to the water collecting on the trails as temps forecast to stay in the mid 30's to 40.
I hate to admit it but I'm looking forward to warmer weather and outside projects to start.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:35 AM   #2
hilltopper

This Winter has been a bust in every way possible. The biggest snowstorm of the season was the 10" we got out of the Halloween storm on 10/28. The second biggest storm of the season was the 7" we got out of the Thanksgiving snow storm on 11/23. At this point any snow in this area would be useless, especially with high temperatures consistently above freezing. Bring on Spring, I guess. And heads up this Spring/Summer...my guess is it's going to be a bad year for ticks.
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:53 AM   #3
SAB1

Ha! I am one of the guys with a new sled! Purchased Last year at the end of the season and rode it one day before all that rain hit in March. Been sitting the trailer since..............
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAB1 For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (02-16-2012)
Old 02-16-2012, 10:39 AM   #4
Belmont Resident

Default Really

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
Ha! I am one of the guys with a new sled! Purchased Last year at the end of the season and rode it one day before all that rain hit in March. Been sitting the trailer since..............
I bought a new Backcountry last February and put 3500 on it. My wife ordered same sled X-model this year and has only 1000 miles on it and if things don't change this will be the last weekend for us.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Unhappy Think it,s bad now? Wait till the Clubs go for the Summer Grants for Trail Work

Think it's bad now? Wait till the Clubs go for the Summer Grants for Trail Work.

Our Club Membership is off by over 30% so far this Season. This also means the Sled Registrations are probably down by an even higher percentage. One Member vs Multiple Member/Family Sled Registrations.

It is the moneys taken in through Sled Registrations that Funds Trail Work and Grooming Equipment.

We do supplement some of our trail work through "Trail Donations" by Members. But on average what we take in we usually end up spending that twice over to do what is needed to maintain our Trail System to the level that is expected by those who frequently ride on it.

Next Season could be worse than this one but for a different reason.

As for Riding, The Ossipee Club had some good riding from White Lake out to Sandwich Notch last weekend. Check their web site for trail conditions and also SLedNH.
http://www.ossipeevalleysnowmobileclub.com/
http://www.SLedNH.com/

Pittsburg and Swift Diamond are still reporting good riding. It's a bit of a ride but 99% of the time you will not be disappointed.

Last edited by WINNOCTURN; 02-16-2012 at 12:33 PM. Reason: poor grammar & speeling
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WINNOCTURN For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (02-16-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2012, 10:35 AM   #6
RLW

Smile

SAB1, I just noticed that you are fairly new to the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends. Don’t give up on the snowmobiling just yet as we still have some good chances of getting some in. However what we could possibly get will not last to long now with the sun being higher making the snow melt faster.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:56 PM   #7
SAB1

Thanks. for the welcome. I actually have been on here before for years with a different logon name (drifted away for a year or so) and couldnt get my old logon name to work. Says someone else has it (likely me) and I cant recall my password. Funny to look at the ice and see how beat up it looks. Looks like late March ice.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:32 AM   #8
Belmont Resident

Default broke 2000 miles.

Well I’ve managed to ride over 2000 miles while my wife has managed 1700 on her new sled. So it hasn’t been that bad. Of course we are talking about a 4.5 hour hike to get to the snow.
I feel sorry for all those who are on vacations this week. The warm temps have really taken their toll on the conditions especially close to towns. We were driving over miles of ground up dirt with some snow to get to one area after riding 16 miles down the lake on flat snow. The in town trails were a combination of slush and puddles even with temps below freezing yesterday and now rain forecast for this week it should put an end to things. Even with snow this late, from past experience it usually doesn’t last more then a few day before it is useless to ride on as it turns to slush.

Last edited by Belmont Resident; 02-20-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:28 PM   #9
Belmont Resident

Default What a difference a day makes.

Over a foot of snow fell in north country with more on the way this week. We rode 200 miles today much of it on ungroomed trails with over a foot of new powder on them. With school vacations over at the end of this week, timing couldn't be better for some great riding on uncrowded trails.
Last weekend we were going to cancel our vacation for lack of snow, now it looks like next weekend will be the start of a great vacation after all.