Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Pets
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2010, 09:59 AM   #1
Chickie

Default Good Time to Adopt A Cat

I was watching the N.H. Humane Society's program (Humane Happenings) on the public access channel last night and learned they have brought down their adoption fee for cats to $25.00. They had some 240 cats housed there a few months ago and after bringing down the fee, they are now down to approximately 170, which is a more manageable number.

What a deal! They are all neutered and have their shots! If anyone is thinking of adopting a cat, there is no better time. The $25.00 fee will be in effect until the end of the year, at which time they will re-evaluate the situation. Staff from the Humane Society will be at the Belknap Mall on Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, with some of their feline friends who are up for adoption. With so many available, there are more than enough choices to pick from.
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Chickie For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (12-03-2010), CGI3 (12-04-2010), Lakesrider (11-23-2010), Rattlesnake Gal (11-23-2010), Ropetow (11-27-2010), Whimsey (12-08-2010)
Old 11-23-2010, 09:11 AM   #2
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Agreed that the animals need homes. However I must caution, that people tend to get or give pets as presents at this time of year and then they don't want them after the cuteness is gone. Happens every year. Huge amount of give ups or abandoned animals roaming around after Christmas. Just think real hard before giving a pet as a present this year. The economy also has a huge affect on pets being given up. I would be more inclined to give a donation than to take a pet I might not be able to keep.
Not trying to be a downer as no one loves the animals more than me. It is just a thought....
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakesrider For This Useful Post:
GFP (11-23-2010)
Old 12-02-2010, 03:05 PM   #3
SIKSUKR

All the more reason to adopt the ones that were abandoned and put up at the shelters.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:24 PM   #4
jr616

My cousins wanted to get a cat for my aunt for Christmas. I advised them against picking one out but getting her all the extras (litter box, litter, toys, collar etc) and then TAKING her to the shelter to see them and then deciding.
As we all know, our pets really choose us!

Meowy Christmouse!
jr616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:25 PM   #5
KBoater

Default After New years

I have been advised by several shelters to wait until after New Years.
The return of pets which were given as presents is a high percentages.
Several shelter in FL will not allow adoption until after the holidays.
Give a gift note to visit the shelter together after New Years. It is a great presents and I have gotten several of my favorite furry friends this way.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:20 PM   #6
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

There was just a thing on TV. said what I said. Around March after the Puppyness and kittyness grows to adultness, people get stressed and can't handle the duties of being a pet owner. I find it all very sad and the reason most animals are in shelters. Yes you will see the numbers grow after Christmas as well as by Spring. Perfect time to pick out a Shelter animal Shelter animals make the best pets in the world. Give them a warm and loving home and they will give you a warm and fuzzy heart.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote