Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-28-2009, 07:47 AM   #1
David531

Default Saturday the 28th on the lake

Hi,

It's 7:30AM Saturday 02-28-2009

Looking out on the lake in the gov island / timber island / stonedam island triangle, it's looking good this morning despite all the rain last nite. Have only walked out on the ice so far this morning, will get a few sleds out later. The cold nite seems to have made a nice crust out of what would have been a bit slushy snow on the ice. There's been a few snowmobiles in the distance towing sleds presumably for ice fishing. The wind is picking up, but it's nice in the sun.

We had a nice ride thursday acrross the ice from gov island to alton bay to wolfboro and back to wiers. The ride was pretty smooth most of the way except around rattlesnake where the wind had blown the snow into a hard packed choppy ride, the rain friday nite may have taken the edge off it.

Looking forward to a nice ride around the lake today.

PS: and a big hello to George and Brian, nice meeting you guys on the lake last weekend.
The sled in tow did have a toasted piston, and needs a new jug as well. It will be back.

Cheers, David
David531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:47 AM   #2
hazelnut

Just did a test run into Center Harbor. Lake is actually in great shape. There is a thin crust of about an inch of nice hard pack snow. So if all else fails the lake is great riding.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:53 PM   #3
David531

Default Lake riding

Hi again,

we got a late start and I think the sun did some thawing, it's tough going from gov island to alton bay in what is now a slush surface, so we turned around and went towards center harbor, and staying on the inside of bear island and in snowy areas we did pretty good, but on the broads side of timber (our return trip) etc it's slushy. Had a nice lunch at Rosie's, brought home some fried dough to have with our afternoon coffee. I think we're going to put some bait under the ice and hang out the rest of the day...

We need a good freeze tonite and some snow.

Cheers, David and Benjamin
Old 02-28-2009, 04:17 PM   #4
EricP

just rode Center Harbor to Meredith, Spindle Point area. There is a lot of icy which needs some cover. Good news is we got some coming. Trails are pretty good north of here.
EricP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:35 PM   #5
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by David531 View Post
PS: and a big hello to George and Brian, nice meeting you guys on the lake last weekend.
The sled in tow did have a toasted piston, and needs a new jug as well. It will be back.

Cheers, David
David,

So happy to see you posting here. Sorry this is the first chance I have had to post since we were up there.

There are some really nice folks on this site, I read more than I post, but do check in regularly.

Brian and I really enjoyed meeting you folks and riding with you. Your hospitality was most appreciated.

Sure hope Sam gets his sled running again, I was most impressed with him. He seemed like a real good kid, I’m sure his dad is proud of him.

Brian and were hoping to ride up that way again this weekend, but work and home commitments prevented me from being able to go. I’m hoping for another trip sometime next week or next weekend and it looks like there will be plenty of snow after the next storm.

Until then, my boys and their friends are keeping me busy giving rides around the yard,,,

I would really enjoy being able to ride with you folks again some time, you were a great tour guide. Sure hope our paths cross again.

Thanks - George

XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2009, 07:58 AM   #6
David531

Default HI George

Hi George,

Great Pictures. !! It looks like you've got your hands full there.

Sam and his Dad are working on that sled, maybe they'll be up next week.

It would be fun to take that ride to Shaw Mt with you guys if you're around.
The view from the top is great.

My Son Benjamin and I are the only ones here this weekend. He'll be 10 in March and handles the Polaris 340 nicely.

We'll probably be here next weekend with a bunch of kids.
Depending on how many people are at the house, and how much fishing is going on, I get more tethered to the house, so I'd have to play it by ear...

I'll post you later this week and let you know how it's going.

Benjamin and I are really excited about the snow coming.

Cheers, David
Old 03-01-2009, 10:59 AM   #7
XCR-700

I'll post before our next trip up.

I would sure love to see the view from Shaw and I've never been to Rosies, so that would also be a big plus.

Hope you enjoy the weekend Benjamin, I'm sure its something he will remember till he is old and gray (like us,,,) But seriously take lots fo pictures and enjoy.

Its been snowing here for a couple of hours, nothing too hard. Personally I love riding when its snowing, so long as its not too hard and the wind is not to bad, its all part of the adventure,,,

Thanks - George
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post:
David531 (03-06-2009)