Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2008, 09:08 PM   #1
bobio

Default trail conditions

I was disapointed to see all the washouts on the trails around South Down and the Prison Loop. There is plenty of snow but where did all the water come from? We did a number on the sleds by running over all those rocky areas.
bobio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:51 PM   #2
jetskier

Post Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobio View Post
I was disapointed to see all the washouts on the trails around South Down and the Prison Loop. There is plenty of snow but where did all the water come from? We did a number on the sleds by running over all those rocky areas.
The trails looked very thin yesterday in spite of the snow fall. We saw a group of snowmobilers in Gilford filling up and asked them about the trails there. The response was that the trails were wet and bumpy. I think that we are going to need more snow and sustained cold to get better conditions.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:23 AM   #3
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobio View Post
The snow that we got in Alton, while it was about 12 inches in one storm and about 7-8 inches yesterday, compresses down quite a bit, and the snowshoe trail we broke yesterday ended up being about 8-10 inches below the top of the snow, after just the pass going out and then coming back (2 adults). Some of our trek was on the "D" trail in the vicinity of Alton Mt. Rd in Alton, and there is a good amount of water running in this area. Considering that one "snowstorm" ended up being more rain than snow in this area, and the ground is frozen, the water will tend to puddle up in low places, like areas where snowmobiles and ATV's cause the lay of the land to be a little lower than the surrounding areas. Also, if the area where the water was would normally be a short-lived stream from run-off, you could expect the ground to be holding the water. All in all, with what we say over here in Alton, the trails seem to be in pretty good shape, especially for this early in the season. Don't forget, trails have only been officially opened for just over two weeks.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:40 PM   #4
bobio

Wow what a change in one week! The cold weather and the fresh snow cover has made the best snowmobiling conditions in the Lakes Region in years. My hats off to all the clubs and the excellent grooming that they have done this past week. We went from Laconia to Plymouth and back on some super smooth trails today. Lets hope that the warm weather thats comming does not ruin what we have now.
bobio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 12:27 PM   #5
Weirs guy

The main trail on the RR tracks through the Weirs seems to have held up very well this weekend, and was used very frequently! Hopefully this week isn't too warm.

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links