Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Getting Here
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2006, 08:21 PM   #1
Captain Bob

Default From Lynn, Mass to the Lake in the 50's

I've been trying to recreate how my Dad drove to Gilford from Lynn, Mass in the mid-50's. What I remember is the big white rock next to Purley Burrill's gas station in Lynnfield; Rte 114; Rte 28 through NH, with the Indian Cliff stone face & the mocassin shop; Alton Bay with the bunnies and dogs in cages on the right just as you come over the hill to where you can see the Lake water; and the old shore-line Rte 11. Actually, I always wanted to bicycle that route (doing it in sections might still be feasible). Thought someone might fill in some of the gaps in my story.
Captain Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:11 PM   #2
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Oh, those olden days before Interstates!

Coming in from Lynn on Rte 114, you would come down through Middleton to the junction of rte 125 coming in from the left joining 114 for about a mile. On the left would be what is now the Merrimac college campus. Rte 125 turns right to head to Haverill, at an intersection that had Thompson's Restaurant and the Furniture Barn furniture store. Your dad could have taken a left there and gone over to Andover, but probably continued down 114 into So. Lawrence, making a left near the train station over to rte 28. A right turn on rte 28 and it's over the "falls bridge" (Lawrence dam on the Merrimac River is right there) into Lawrence. Maybe stopped for a hotdog at Lawton's at the far end of the bridge. Then it's continuing northward on "Broadway" (rte 28) into Methuen, going past the mills and finally entering Salem NH. Continuing up 28 past Rockingham Park ("and they're off...." ) and you are suddenly in country. On the South side of Derry, rte 28 beared to the left, and you probably headed straight "up the bypass" (28A). After a little bit, you top a hill and there is an amazingly long straight away with ups and downs on some small hills (try to hold your breath until that car way up there finally passes you. Didn't have a gameboy!!!!). As you come into Auburn, Lake Massebesic is on your right, and in the summer in daylight, there is always a bunch of sailboats out on the Lake (drinking water supply for Manchester). right after the lake was the "Turnpike House" where we used to stop and eat. We called it the halfway house, because it was about 1/2 way between Lawrence/Andover/No. Andover and Lake Shore Park in Gilford. About 7 or 8 miles (I think), the bypass rejoined rte28 and rte 3 in Hooksett (allowing us to miss all that traffic in Derry and then Manchester). Up to Allentown and Pembroke, passing Indian Cliff with the totem pole, to where rte 28 cuts off from rte 3. Check out the boats at the Pembroke boat place there on the right in the later years. Keep heading north and go through Epsom and Pittsfield, oh wow, are we in Barnstead already (I never did see the Barnstead Parade, but they had signs out about it all the time! ). Come into Alton and take a left on rte 11 and go through the town (what time is it on the town hall steeple...wow, we made good time...oh yeah, and you had to know how to tell time that was not displayed digitally!!!! )(still do at the town hall). Feeling really good now, 'cause there's Downings, ah the busy corner store (how about an ice cream, Dad? Dad? Dad?????). Love riding along looking at the lake (11d was rte 11.). then it was West Alton, Ames Farm, Lakeshore Park, wow the broads are rough (as seen from lakeshore drive, rte 11 then. Ah, sure does feel good to stretch!!!!! It sure was a long ride (probably pushing 3 hours from Lynn).

Biking the route...I wouldn't have a large enough death wish to ride a bike up 28 through Lawrence Methuen Salem. Way to much traffic.

Anyway, hoped you enjoyed the ride

Last edited by upthesaukee; 10-06-2006 at 09:58 PM.
upthesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 07:33 AM   #3
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob
I've been trying to recreate how my Dad drove to Gilford from Lynn, Mass in the mid-50's. What I remember is the big white rock next to Purley Burrill's gas station in Lynnfield; Rte 114; Rte 28 through NH, with the Indian Cliff stone face & the mocassin shop; Alton Bay with the bunnies and dogs in cages on the right just as you come over the hill to where you can see the Lake water; and the old shore-line Rte 11. Actually, I always wanted to bicycle that route (doing it in sections might still be feasible). Thought someone might fill in some of the gaps in my story.
A couple notes. First of all, I grew up in Lynnfield, almost directly across the street from the big white rock at PB's BP station. Used to pedal down there for a 25 cent Fanta orange soda (glass bottle!). That would have been mid-70's. You probably went up Rt 1 to 114, or you drove through Lynnfield Center to Middleton/114. And when you say the Indian cliff/mocassin store, are you talking about the place on rt 3/28 in Hooksett? That is not far from where I live now. We would drive up to Winni from our house in Lynnfield. Of course I have absolutely no recollection of the route we took. I do believe we went up Rt 1 to I-95 and beared off to the left to the Spaulding and Rt 25. Friends of our family had a place in Gilford, in fact they still do. I believe it is on Dockham Shores Rd.
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 07:09 PM   #4
Captain Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee
We called it the halfway house, because it was about 1/2 way between Lawrence/Andover/No. Andover and Lake Shore Park in Gilford.
Anyway, hoped you enjoyed the ride
Wow! I've got to read that a few more times! From Lynn, our half-way point WAS Lake Massebeisic, where we usually stopped for a picnic lunch.

And our destination was the same as yours - Lake Shore Park!

Thanks,
Captain Bob
Old 10-06-2006, 07:13 PM   #5
Captain Bob

[QUOTE=chipj29]A couple notes. First of all, I grew up in Lynnfield, almost directly across the street from the big white rock at PB's BP station. Used to pedal down there for a 25 cent Fanta orange soda (glass bottle!). That would have been mid-70's. You probably went up Rt 1 to 114, or you drove through Lynnfield Center to Middleton/114. And when you say the Indian cliff/mocassin store, are you talking about the place on rt 3/28 in Hooksett?

Do you think it's true that PB's is the oldest filling station in the country? That's their claim.

Yes, the Indian cliff/mocassin store in on 3/28 in Hooksett - I saw it was for sale a few years ago - haven't driven by lately to see if it's still there, and what it has become.

Guess I'm older than you - I remember when orange soda in a bottle (Crush, not Fanta) was 10 cents plus 2 cents deposit.

Thanks for the reply,
Captain Bob
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2006, 08:45 PM   #6
EllyPoinster

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee:
Up to Allentown and Pembroke, passing Indian Cliff with the totem pole, to where rte 28 cuts off from rte 3. Check out the boats at the Pembroke boat place there on the right in the later years. Keep heading north and go through Epping and Pittsfield, oh wow, are we in Barnstead already (I never did see the Barnstead Parade, but they had signs out about it all the time! ).
That would be Epsom.
EllyPoinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 09:57 PM   #7
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllyPoinster
That would be Epsom.
OOOOOOOOPS.... too late at night and too long a post . I shouldn't have been driving that far when I was that tired.

You are, of course, correct !!!!!!

Original post now edited
Old 10-09-2006, 06:47 AM   #8
chipj29

[QUOTE=Captain Bob]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29
Do you think it's true that PB's is the oldest filling station in the country? That's their claim.

Yes, the Indian cliff/mocassin store in on 3/28 in Hooksett - I saw it was for sale a few years ago - haven't driven by lately to see if it's still there, and what it has become.

Guess I'm older than you - I remember when orange soda in a bottle (Crush, not Fanta) was 10 cents plus 2 cents deposit.

Thanks for the reply,
Captain Bob
Capt, I don't know about PB's claim about being the oldest in the country.
The Indian Cliff place is still there, and it is for sale...again. Seems like it is being offered for sale more often than not. It hasn't changed much over the years, other than the for sale sign being updated every couple of years.

And as far as the age goes, well, I was buying the 25 cent sodas in the early-mid 1970's. We moved from that area in 1977.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:13 AM   #9
Captain Bob

chip,

Somebody stop me before I buy that place!

Capt
Old 10-09-2006, 10:30 AM   #10
chipj29

Default Big mistake!

Quote:
chip,

Somebody stop me before I buy that place!

Capt
I don't think anyone stops there for souveniers anymore. I can't imagine that place being a big moneymaker. It is not exactly a tourist route these days. Besides, check out the asking price. Have I been able to talk you out of it yet? lol Here is the listing... http://www.beangroup.com/real_estate...ooksett/477908
Attached Images

Old 10-12-2006, 06:14 PM   #11
Captain Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29
Besides, check out the asking price. Have I been able to talk you out of it yet?
Dang! Last time I saw it for sale, seems like the price was low enough to consider just having some kind of fun with it. At the price they want now, you'd HAVE to tear it down and build something that would make money.

I've missed out on so many good real estate deals by being too cautious. From a train station and land along Rte 11 that they wanted $25K for, but I didn't bite since it only had waterfront rights, no actual waterfront (I would have made money) - to the time I checked out Storeybook Forest when it was up for sale for something I think in the neighborhood of $150K (was never sold, never run again).

You talked me out of it. Right decision.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:11 AM   #12
chipj29

Quote:
Dang! Last time I saw it for sale, seems like the price was low enough to consider just having some kind of fun with it. At the price they want now, you'd HAVE to tear it down and build something that would make money.

I've missed out on so many good real estate deals by being too cautious. From a train station and land along Rte 11 that they wanted $25K for, but I didn't bite since it only had waterfront rights, no actual waterfront (I would have made money) - to the time I checked out Storeybook Forest when it was up for sale for something I think in the neighborhood of $150K (was never sold, never run again).

You talked me out of it. Right decision.
Well, there are some rental cabins that might bring in monthly income....