Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Getting Here
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2006, 12:12 PM   #1
Mirror Lake's BB

Default Driving up from PA on Saturday

We are driving up from Wayne, PA for the first time this season and wanted to know the traffic conditions- is the construction over in Worcester? How about the Tappen Zee ? Can't wait to get up there. Thanks
Mirror Lake's BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 01:41 PM   #2
Steve

Do you mean 290 in Worcester? I don't think it's ever over. When I go that way, I just stay on the Pike to 495 North.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 02:01 PM   #3
Chris Exley

Default We had no problems

We had no problems with any construction when we came up in Mid May. Of source we hit Worcester around midnight. Have fun, and take a deep breath for me.
Chris Exley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 07:01 PM   #4
Coolbreeze

I'm coming from Fort Washington, Pa, If you have serious Sirius satellite radio, you can listen on the way up the GSP/NJTP updates, listen to the weather and traffic channell for New England and it gives updates pretty frequently. Every time I go the 290 route I get nailed in traffic. I learned by mistake to hit 95 north just after the Tappen Zee up to 495 North then to lowell etc. The only excitement I had was that I was propositioned by a "lady of the night" when my wife went into the service area. the lady asked me if i wanted a date, I told the woman that she forgot to put her teeth in and she said that would cost me more !?! My wife and i cracked up the rest of the way up to the lake. A brutal trip, but worth it when you get there.
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 10:49 AM   #5
ghfromaltonbay

Default Construction on 84 & 290

Here is what I've found heading to the lake from northern NJ: There is still construction on 84 near Waterbury and of course on 290 right near the Holy Cross Campus. I have changed my route and not only save time, but cut 11 miles off the 315 mile trip (now down to 302). Not only is the mileage less, but I don't waste gas sitting in traffic.

This is the route I take: The Garden State Parkway to NY Thruway. Tappan Zee to 287 East. Take Exit 9N and get on the Merritt Parkway. Take the Merritt (15) to 91N in Meriden, CT. This brings you to 84E in East Hartford. 84 to Mass Pike to Exit 11a for 495 North. I take 3 North in Chelmsford and take the Everett Tpke. which merges with 93N in Hooksett. I then take Exit 15 in Concord to 393, 4, 202. Follow to the Epsom Circle and then head north on 28 to Route 11 in Alton.

I keep my cruise control on 68 whenever the limit is 65, and I now make the trip in 5 hours flat with no stops, add 10 minutes for a brief pit stop.

If you are towing a boat, however, the Merritt Pkway is out. Then I would suggest the Tappan Zee to 684 to 84 and then the Mass. Pike.

Once I get near the Mass. border I listen to 1030AM (WBZ) since they give traffic reports every 10 minutes on the 3's (ex. 10:03, 10:13, etc.)
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2006, 11:56 AM   #6
Mee-n-Mac

Lightbulb A tiny shortcut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfromaltonbay
This is the route I take: The Garden State Parkway to NY Thruway. Tappan Zee to 287 East. Take Exit 9N and get on the Merritt Parkway. Take the Merritt (15) to 91N in Meriden, CT. This brings you to 84E in East Hartford. 84 to Mass Pike to Exit 11a for 495 North. I take 3 North in Chelmsford and take the Everett Tpke. which merges with 93N in Hooksett. I then take Exit 15 in Concord to 393, 4, 202. Follow to the Epsom Circle and then head north on 28 to Route 11 in Alton.
You can shave a few more miles off if you want to. On 4/202 in Chichester you can take a left at the lights (by Mike's and the Hess gas station). This will bring you through center Chichester, skipping the Epsom circle. Follow the curving road to it's end and then take a left onto Rt28. You'll be just south of Freaky's (sp?) ice cream. It doesn't save that much time, a few minutes probably (unless the traffic at the circle is bad, then it's more) but you get to see the inventive sayings on the church, and sometimes on the town hall, bulletin boards.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:19 PM   #7
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Talking

Mac: Thanks a lot for telling everyone about the SECRET short cut!

Actually it is a terrible short cut. It adds several miles to the route and the road is bumpy and windy. Sometimes the cows or sheep are crossing the street and you have to wait forever! If there is an event at the church or the elementary school there is usually an officer of the law there misdirecting traffic and further complicating things. Then there is the long back-up waiting to get onto 28 north. I would not recommend this route!
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 11:12 AM   #8
gtxrider

Default Those are sheep aren't they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude

Actually it is a terrible short cut. It adds several miles to the route and the road is bumpy and windy. Sometimes the cows or sheep are crossing the street and you have to wait forever! If there is an event at the church or the elementary school there is usually an officer of the law there misdirecting traffic and further complicating things. Then there is the long back-up waiting to get onto 28 north. I would not recommend this route!
I agree, especially if you get some one in front that cannot do the speed limt.
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 01:13 PM   #9
Bizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfromaltonbay
I then take Exit 15 in Concord to 393, 4, 202. Follow to the Epsom Circle ...
I save a few minutes by getting off at the Hooksett tolls, taking the back roads to Granite Street, turning left onto US-3 and then up 28 to Epsom. The toll is $.25 less, too. I don't recommend this with a motor home or trailer.

Last edited by Bizer; 06-19-2006 at 10:55 AM.
Bizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 06:04 PM   #10
Mee-n-Mac

Wink Well if you're going to be picky

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude

Well I am assuming that they won't mind the swarms of locusts nor the snakes that continually crawl over the road thus I didn't think that the common 1/2 hr wait for the cows and sheep to cross was going to be an issue. I may have been mistaken there. Like I said it saves a few miles, didn't say nuttin about how much extra time it takes. Course while you're waiting, the kids can get out and watch the animals and you can enjoy the smell of fresh manure. That alone makes it worth the extra trouble ... IMHO
Old 06-17-2006, 03:12 PM   #11
ghfromaltonbay

Default Slow pokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxrider
I agree, especially if you get some one in front that cannot do the speed limt.
I agree gtx, there is always some local with a pickup truck or a blue haired grandmother doing 15 mph all the way while the limit is 35 mph. The best is getting behind a tractor towing the manure wagon.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote