Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Getting Here
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2005, 08:24 AM   #1
Merrymeeting

Default EZpass Startup?

Since the other thread on this topic is getting a bit long, I thought I would start this one for reports on actual implementation and startup.

Has anyone received their transponders yet? Any news on an actual startup at any of the toll booths?
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 12:09 PM   #2
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Hooksett Toll

There is a yellow sign as you appraoch the Hooksett toll that says EZ-Pass will be available at the Hooksett toll July 11th.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:36 PM   #3
PROPELLER

Then they better mail those transponders real soon. July 11th is only 4 days away & I still do not have mine. They were ordered immediately once they were available.
PROPELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 03:00 PM   #4
DRH

Default Same Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROPELLER
Then they better mail those transponders real soon. July 11th is only 4 days away & I still do not have mine. They were ordered immediately once they were available.
I ordered mine the first day they were available too, and my credit card was charged immediately. But as of today, I haven't received them.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:51 PM   #5
arthurc

Default EZPass Startup

I ordered mine two weeks ago and they wer in the mail today. But I was away for two weeks so I dont know when I actually received them. Signs on the highway today say EZ Pass starts 7/11 at Bedford and Hookset
arthurc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2005, 07:19 AM   #6
PROPELLER

Funny, after my post yesterday. When I got home yesterday, there they were in the mailbox.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:56 AM   #7
Rockdaddy

Where do you get the transponder & how much are they?
Rockdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 08:05 AM   #8
Steve

You can get them online at www.ezpassnh.com, or at a toll customer service center. As of now (it keeps changing), they are $5 each for private accounts. On 7/16 they go to like $27 each due to a change in the state's laws.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 08:07 AM   #9
Paugus Bay Resident

Haven't gotten mine yet, ordred a couple of weeks ago as well.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 08:53 AM   #10
SIKSUKR

Same here.Two weeks ago and have not recieved anything yet.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:27 AM   #11
Lakegeezer

Default It arrived

The E-ZPass I ordered on June 26'th at the Web site showed up in the mail today, July 8'th. There is a sticker on the envelope that says it won't work until July 11'th. No lights on the device to know when it works - maybe it makes a noise - guess we'll find out next week.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:42 AM   #12
ghfromaltonbay

Default EZ Pass has no lights

Lake Geezer,

I've had an EZ Pass thru the NY State Thruway Authority for many years. There are no lights or indicators on the transponder. At the toll booths on the NY Thruway and the Garden State Pkway here in NJ a traffic light type signal is mounted beyond the toll booth. As you drive thru it lights up and says "EZ Pass toll paid". On the Mass Tpke. the indicator lights up and says "Thank You" when you enter the pike and also when you exit thru the Fast Lane booths. I'll be glad when they finally install EZ Pass on the Everett Tpke. which will mean that I can drive from northern NJ over the Tappan Zee Bridge and will not have to stop or open the window to pay a toll the entire 310 mile trip. Most places you have to slow down to 15 mph to pass thru the EZ Pass tolls. However, on the Garden State Parkway and NJ turnpike there are now high speed lanes on the extreme left at many toll plazas where the booths have been removed and drivers maintain the speed limit (65 mph) and pass beneath overhead readers which read the transponders and debit your account. It's great!! I've had my account so many years that last year the Thruway authority sent me a new transponder based on the average battery life and I had 14 days to send back the old one in a prepaid mailer to avoid being charged for the replacement transponder. In the NY system, as long as you maintained a $25 base account and they had your credit card # there was no charge for a transponder. If you want to leave this system, you mail back the transponder and no charges are incurred.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 11:46 AM   #13
Island Girl

Default How does one block the transponder

Suppose I have a NH transponder, but want to use tokens on a given trip. How can I block the transponder from recording a toll?

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 11:55 AM   #14
Island-Ho

Default Put it in the foil pack

According to info I saw on the web site, the NH transponders come with a bag, probably foil, which will prevent the transponder from responding to the toll booth signal. You could also try wrapping the unit in tin foil. If you have a camera bag for protecting film in the airport x-ray machine that would also work. Does anyone use film anymore?
Island-Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 12:39 PM   #15
PROPELLER

Yes, they do come with a special bag.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:04 PM   #16
JTA

Does the NH EZPass account also work on the Mass tolls??? and... can it be moved between two cars (same owner)?

Last edited by JTA; 07-08-2005 at 04:06 PM. Reason: More to post
JTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 05:17 PM   #17
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTA
Does the NH EZPass account also work on the Mass tolls??? and... can it be moved between two cars (same owner)?
Yes, EZPass is now operational for the whole east coast (I went to NC with one this spring) NH was the last of the link.

They do ask that a transponder be registered with a certain car. But my experience says they really don't track this as long as the toll is paid and the transponder remains with the original owner, or more importantly, the original owner continues to pay the bills without complaint.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:48 PM   #18
Steve

I got my 2 transponders today to. Good to go. I actually read when signing up that you can use one transponder with 2 separate vehicles, as long as they are the same type "auto", "truck", etc, and are both registered to the same person, and the ezpass account is private and not a business account.

One thing I found odd was the vehicle classifcations. They have "pickup" and "truck", "RV", "automobile", etc. But no SUV or anything like that. I thought maybe truck, but wasn't sure, so I called. The guy said "automobile" was fine.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:47 PM   #19
PaulS

The NH EZ pass should work in Mass, Maine, New York, New Jersey, and Delaware. I've used my NY EZ-Pass in all of those states. You can move the EZ pass between cars.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 08:45 PM   #20
DRH

My two transponders arrived in today's mail too. That must have been some mass-mailing!
Old 07-09-2005, 08:13 PM   #21
Island Time

Default cost of toll?

Anyone know what the cost of the toll will be with tokens (I am assuming they are being phased out?), the transponder, and cash?

I thought I remebered hearing the EZ pass would be a simlar charge to the tokens which was quite a bit lower than cash.

Thanks
Old 07-09-2005, 08:54 PM   #22
Steve

Right now, tokens are a 50% discount over cash, and EZPass will be 30%. As of now I believe tokens won't be sold after 9/1 and won't be accepted after 12/31/05. Of course, the state agencies are still fighting, so this could change, again.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:27 AM   #23
ghfromaltonbay

Default Making a federal case out of EZ Pass

My Gosh, I can't believe the powers that be in NH are making such a fuss & bother about instituting EZ Pass. You'd think they were the 1st place on the planet to go with this plan, not the last state in the D.C. to Maine corridor. How many toll plazas are there in the whole of NH? , it's downright laughable. If NJ could implement EZ Pass the entire length of the NJ Turnpike and the Garden State Parkway albeit with some kinks to work out, why can't the yahoos in Concord get it right -- especially since they have NY, MA, NJ and a few other states to check out and learn from their mistakes. Get real!!
Old 07-11-2005, 08:20 AM   #24
SIKSUKR

I got mine in the mail on 7-8-05.I have one question that I thought I'd throw out there.I was wondering if I could pass through EZ-pass with a trailer in tow.I assumed you could not and that I would be losing my 30% discount everytime I pull a trailer.I did read the brochure that came with my tag and it reads "If you tow a camper or trailer all the time,your tag can be used and the system will adjust to the proper toll amount".So I read this and think,I can probably use it with a trailer but why does it say if you tow a trailer ALL THE TIME?Will they adjust your account so it debits your account for a traiier everytime I go through or does it sense when I have a trailer or not.I don't know how it could tell the difference.There is only an antenae to read your transponder.Anybody know how this works in other states? SS
Old 07-11-2005, 09:25 AM   #25
RLW

Thumbs up EZ Pass Pulling trailer

I had the same question and went to the FAQ's and they give a very clear answer to your question. I would try to tell ya, but for sure I would say something that I took wrong. Try it, you'll like it.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:06 AM   #26
SIKSUKR

Default getting frustrated

Tried to access my account on-line and it's asking me for my pin number.Why don't I know it.I never got one when I signed up.They instruct first time users that once you log-in and gain access to your account to set-up a new pin number.But I can't log-in in the first place!I have tried the customer service number they refer me to 6 times this morning and all I get is one ring and then nothing!Any help out there? SS
Old 07-11-2005, 10:21 AM   #27
DRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR
Tried to access my account on-line and it's asking me for my pin number.Why don't I know it.I never got one when I signed up.They instruct first time users that once you log-in and gain access to your account to set-up a new pin number.But I can't log-in in the first place!I have tried the customer service number they refer me to 6 times this morning and all I get is one ring and then nothing!Any help out there? SS
SIKSUKR - When I signed up online, I had to choose a 4-character PIN during the account setup process. (Or maybe they assigned me one at the time and then I changed it, I can't remember.) Are you sure you didn't have an initial PIN when you set up your account that you may have written down somewhere? When you signed up, did you print out the new account confirmation web page that assigned you an account number? If so, did you possibly write down the PIN on that printout??
Old 07-11-2005, 10:45 AM   #28
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW
I had the same question and went to the FAQ's and they give a very clear answer to your question. I would try to tell ya, but for sure I would say something that I took wrong. Try it, you'll like it.
I just read the faq on the website about trailers and it was much clearer than the guide book.It says the equipment has the ability to identify if you have a trailer and charge the appropriate amount.Ww will find out soon. SS
Old 07-11-2005, 12:53 PM   #29
Merrymeeting

Quote:
I have tried the customer service number they refer me to 6 times this morning and all I get is one ring and then nothing!Any help out there? SS
See note in article about phone lines this morning...

http://www.boston.com/news/local/new...mpshire_tolls/
Old 07-11-2005, 12:55 PM   #30
Steve

I had to have something changed on my account that I couldn't do online. I couldn't get through until a little while ago, and I was on hold for about 10 minutes before they answered.

All set now though.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:41 PM   #31
RLW

Thumbs up

Quote:
When I recieved my confirmation via the e-mail it had the temp pin on it and I just left it that way. I believe it is an 6 or 8 digit number. It is now logged in a book that I have all password/pin numbers in as I'm a great one for forgetting or mixing them up. Glad to hear that the FAQ's helped out with the trailer info.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:02 PM   #32
SIKSUKR

Thanks RLW.I looked through my e-mails and couldn't find anything from EZ-pass.I don't remember getting any comfirmation that I ordered EZ-pass either.There is a link to request your pin number and I used it but get this,they use snail mail to notify me instead of e-mail.Oh well! SS
Old 07-11-2005, 10:50 PM   #33
Senter Cove Guy

Default Transponders Arrived From NJ

The envelope containing my NH EZ-Pass transponders bore a return address in NJ. What's up with that?
Old 07-12-2005, 07:07 AM   #34
Steve

E-ZPass is a NJ company, and the NH E-ZPass, as well as other states that are "E-ZPass" are administered by the NJ E-ZPass company. Just type in www.ezpass.com rather than www.ezpassnh.com, you'll see the similarities.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:14 AM   #35
RLW

Thumbs up NJ EZ-Pass address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senter Cove Guy
The envelope containing my NH EZ-Pass transponders bore a return address in NJ. What's up with that?
If you notice on any paperwork and or internet all your correspondence addresses are all NJ. I also believe the 800 numbers are NJ also. It definitely looks as it is being administrated through that state to me.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:00 AM   #36
Merrymeeting

Yet another example of a very minor startup problem.

Arrived home after vacation yesterday to find my transponders (2) had arrived in the mail. All looks well and instructions are clear. Except the instructions include the procedure on how to avoid being charged. I.e, put the transponder in the provided foil envelope.

The only problem is they only provided 1 envelope for 2 transponders.

I'm sure I can pick one up at one of the service centers....
Old 07-12-2005, 10:53 AM   #37
Steve

That must have been a mistake. I actually got 2 envelopes for 2 transponders ordered.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:33 AM   #38
Island-Ho

Default Discount on Trailers?

I will be interested to see if the 30% discount applies to trailers as well. Before EZPass, car and trailer was 62.5 cents with three tokens and a quarter. 30% discount with EZPass on the entire rig rig will be 70 cents. 30% discount on just the car will cost 77.5 cents, rounded up to 78 cents. When you pass through with your single axle trailer in tow, let us know what it costs. A dual axle trailer will of course be even more.
Island-Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 12:28 PM   #39
SIKSUKR

Island ho,that's exactly why I was trying to access my account already.I will being trailering this weekend and I want to see what the amount is debited from my account.I don't know if the driver feedback display shows the amount after you pass through or if it just displays that you have paid.We'll see.Anybody been through the NH EZ-pass yet and know the answer to this?Thanks Merrymeeting,I saw a similar article on WMUR's website this morning.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:09 PM   #40
gravy boat

Default EZ Pass

True to my family tradition, I procrastinated and ordered mine only last week. I'm sure I'll receive it within the next week. Until then, I have tokens I still need to use up. ;-)

My husband has had EZ Pass for a few months, as his employer is in Maine. The commute to Manch this week so far saw no lines at the EZ Pass (Lane 5) at Hooksett. The location of the EZ Pass lane confused the bejeezus out of some folks, resulting in backup, lane cutting, etc. ;-)

Looking forward to using it -- was able to get in within the $5 purchase price.

Gravy

P.S. Pepper -- GREAT lobstah roll last week!
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 07:43 AM   #41
SIKSUKR

Default Confusion at the tolls

Seems the signs are a little confusing at Hookset tolls. http://www.thewmurchannel.com/news/4714596/detail.html
Old 07-16-2005, 07:08 AM   #42
Steve C.

Quote:
Island ho,that's exactly why I was trying to access my account already.I will being trailering this weekend and I want to see what the amount is debited from my account.I don't know if the driver feedback display shows the amount after you pass through or if it just displays that you have paid.We'll see.Anybody been through the NH EZ-pass yet and know the answer to this?Thanks Merrymeeting,I saw a similar article on WMUR's website this morning.
I used EZ-Pass on the first day (Monday) and it has yet (Saturday) to show up online. I was hopeing to see what it would charge.

Steve
Steve C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 08:48 PM   #43
Steve

I read that the system didn't apply the 30% discount, people were charged the full toll. It says they are going to credit back the difference.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:06 AM   #44
KBoater

Default missing stick strips

I recieved 1 order transponder. the instructions said there was an exra set of velcro strips. These were missing from the package.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:44 AM   #45
Sunbeam lodge

Tried the EZpass lanes the other day.
The signs say use left lanes for EZ Pass but when you get to the booths you have to leave the left lanes and cut through traffic to get to the center EZpass lane at the toll booths.
Sunbeam lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 12:42 PM   #46
DRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLboater
I recieved 1 order transponder. the instructions said there was an exra set of velcro strips. These were missing from the package.
Same here. Neither of the two transponders I ordered came with the extra velcro strips the instructions said were included.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:12 AM   #47
Old Hubbard Rd

Default EZPASS needs a little help!!

I used my EZPASS this past week coming up to NH. They had the EZPASS lane in the middle instead of the sides. People were accually driving like 1 mph thru them. It was no relief. They probably should of had them over to the side and not combine them with self serve or toll attendant lanes. Just move out of the way so I can fly thru!!
Old Hubbard Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 07:20 AM   #48
VarneyPoint

Default Bad Signs

The state highway department needs to go over the signage and also the placement of the EZ-Pass lane. My two complaints (which is really one large complaint) is that A.) a sign that says "EZ-Pass Lane 5" is really of zero help to anyone who has not driven through the tolls before and can be rather deceiving since depending on the day, there may be 6 lanes open in a given direction or as many as 8 or 9 during peak travel times, ie. long weekends, nascar races, etc. B.) Why is the EZ-Pass lane in the middle of two exact change lanes? I am not a traffic engineer, but it makes little sense to me to have a lane that does not stop (EZ-Pass) sandwiched between two lanes that do stop (exact change). This past weekend alone, I had to swerve around numerous cars who were in the wrong lane (bad signage). It makes more sense to me to have EZ-Pass in the farthest left lane. That way no one is confused when they pull up to the toll plaza. The sign can say, "EZ-Pass, LEFT LANE ONLY." The purpose of EZ-Pass is defeated if you have to stop at the toll plaza because the signage is so bad that you and/or other drivers don't know where you/they should be. Also, more than one lane would be nice. Hopefully more will be added once the system starts to get more customers. I am sorry for the long rant, but I found it extremely dangerous this weekend with people getting caught in the wrong lane, changing lanes quickly, people expecting to fly right through the EZ-Pass lane having to stop and blare on their horns because someone was confused.
VarneyPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 07:25 AM   #49
Paugus Bay Resident

3+ weeks and still no transponder
Old 07-18-2005, 09:52 AM   #50
RLW

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paugus Bay Resident
3+ weeks and still no transponder
Me too.... That stands for REALLY CONFUSED
Old 07-18-2005, 10:24 AM   #51
SIKSUKR

My initial thought when there was talk about EZ-pass releiving a lot of congestion at the tolls was I doubt it will have much of an effect.In fact,right now it's probably the opposite.I really only got mine to receive the discount.I also thought about where the lane/lanes should be located.As Varney Point stated,the left lane would be the best and least confusing but VP also pointed out that during heavy traffic flows,more lanes are added from one side and taken away from the other.So that would make the EZ-pass lane not always the farthest left lane.However,having said that,I still think the EZ-pass lane should be on the lane furthest to the left when the fewest lanes are being used in that direction.If a few more are added to the left of it,so be it.It has to make more sense than having it in the middle.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:11 PM   #52
jonr

Exclamation Beware: No Transponder's Yet

To those of you who have not received your transponders yet. I was in the same boat. I ordered mine on the website on June 26.

My credit card had not been charged as of yesterday (July 18).

I went to the ezpassnh web site and tried to login. The error message I got said my account number could not be found.

I called this morning (1-877-643-9727) and ignored the message that says "don't ask about your transponder status, we're busy and you'll get it soon". The person I spoke to confirmed my suspicions. I had registered just before the New York flood at their hosting site. Anyone who registered on June 26 was lost. (Perhaps other dates as well, I'm not sure).

So I re-registered and we'll see what happens.

I think it is terrible customer service to tell people not to check their status when you know orders have been lost. They could at least have a FAQ or other message on the homepage saying if you registered on such and such dates, and your credit card wasn't charged, and you can't login to your account, call us or just re-register.
jonr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 05:50 PM   #53
KBoater

Default Middle Lane

I used my transponder yesterday and today. The only problem was that the non transponder users cut across the Ezpass lane and then back again.
If you start using the Ezpass remmeber the middle lanes are for Ezpass at Hocksett and Bedford.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:44 PM   #54
Lin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLboater
I used my transponder yesterday and today. The only problem was that the non transponder users cut across the Ezpass lane and then back again.
If you start using the Ezpass remmeber the middle lanes are for Ezpass at Hocksett and Bedford.

We have the MA fast lane on our vehicles but I just spent the week up the lake with my mom, driving her car in the exact token lanes. We got the fast lane first time it came out in MA and have been using it ever since even on trips to MD so we understand which lanes to be in. However, driving this week through the tolls in NASCAR traffic was a difficult trip to say the least. I have never seen such a mess of people slamming on brakes and cruising into merge with the regular exact token lanes when they found out they had raced to the "empty" green light toll lane to find out it was the EZ Pass and they didn't have it. Talk about frustrating. I think NH has to do better signage at least for the short term till people get used to the EZ Pass. I was surprised not to see any accidents from the crisscrossers.

As a side note, I'd read in one of the local NH papers that the purchasers of the EZ Pass transponders far outnumbered the states expectations and they had to order many more and have a special order delivered. Just glad that it's finally happened. Been waiting so long for this. Tried to talk mom into getting one but no dice. Next time I'll take my own vehicle.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:29 PM   #55
jetskier

Exclamation EZPass

We used EZPASS this weekend also. They indicated that lane 5 was for
EZPASS, however, folks without EZPASS kept getting in the way and then cutting back into the other lanes. I believe that some of the other lanes are EZPASS enabled, but with the lines it pretty much defeats the purpose. I think it is going to take a while for folks to figure this out and not block the EZPASS lane.
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 09:38 PM   #56
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Ezpass Congestion

I traveled South on 93 to Hooksett on Monday July 18. What a joke. About a mile out there was a sign that said EZPASS lane 5. As I got closer a sign said EZPASS lane 6 & 7. As I came upon the tolls everyone was confused and going in and out of the wrong lanes. People without the EZPASs were stuck in the EZPASS lane and not moving and clogging the lanes. I think I even saw lanes 1 & 2 saying they were EZ LANES also. Better signage is needed!!
Old Hubbard Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 05:35 AM   #57
RLW

Default Beware II No transponders yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonr
To those of you who have not received your transponders yet. I was in the same boat. I ordered mine on the website on June 26.

My credit card had not been charged as of yesterday (July 18).

I went to the ezpassnh web site and tried to login. The error message I got said my account number could not be found.

I called this morning (1-877-643-9727) and ignored the message that says "don't ask about your transponder status, we're busy and you'll get it soon". The person I spoke to confirmed my suspicions. I had registered just before the New York flood at their hosting site. Anyone who registered on June 26 was lost. (Perhaps other dates as well, I'm not sure).

So I re-registered and we'll see what happens.

I think it is terrible customer service to tell people not to check their status when you know orders have been lost. They could at least have a FAQ or other message on the homepage saying if you registered on such and such dates, and your credit card wasn't charged, and you can't login to your account, call us or just re-register.
What happens if one fines this all out after the 16th of July and the rates go from $5 to $27 + shipping, which of the rates do they get charged.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:44 AM   #58
PROPELLER

I have not used mine yet but going through the Bedford Toll I noticed only 1 lane is EZ-Pass. When it gets busy 1 lane is not going to cut it. Hopefully when more people start using it or when it gets busy more lanes will be open.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:56 AM   #59
jonr

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW
What happens if one fines this all out after the 16th of July and the rates go from $5 to $27 + shipping, which of the rates do they get charged.
Good question. I reordered mine after the July 16th and the web site still said (and still does say) $5 per transponder. If my credit card is charged the higher amount, I will either call ez pass and see what they do or problably just dispute that portion of the charge with the credit card company (easier for me).

BTW I had used their web based customer support. I posted the question about not getting the transponders and the account # not working. That was last Thursday. It's Wednesday and I have not received a response. Again, lousy customer service. If they can't answer the emails with a couple of days they should not have the channel. It just makes customers frustrated.
jonr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 09:42 AM   #60
Steve

From reading articles, it looks like the price will increase on 8/3. It was due to not being able to process the price increase quickly enough to make it effective on 7/16.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:23 AM   #61
Paugus Bay Resident

My credit card was charged on 6/22 and still nothing.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:54 PM   #62
SIKSUKR

Default 100,000 sold and counting

Seems like they are a little overwhelmed.Click this link.http://www.thewmurchannel.com/news/4747652/detail.html

Last edited by SIKSUKR; 07-20-2005 at 01:57 PM.
SIKSUKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 03:40 PM   #63
Senter Cove Guy

Default Different Speed Limits

Last weekend, I used my EZ-Pass in Mass., NH and NY. Each state has a different speed limit.

Mass. - 15 mph
NH. - 10 mph
NY. - 5 mph (you've got to be kidding me, right?)

Go figure. My vote is for 20 mph.

Does anyone know if EZ-Pass can be used anywhere in Canada?
Old 07-20-2005, 03:45 PM   #64
Merrymeeting

I like the setups in Houston and Atlanta better. Special EZPass lanes that you can go through at 55!
Old 07-21-2005, 04:11 PM   #65
jeffk

Default Just got my transponders

Ordered June 23rd. Received July 19th.

One thing I'm concerned about is that they are talking about charging a fee to people who don't use their transponders right away or very often. This is really annoying because this is changing the terms after the sale. I'm an occasional toll user and got 2 transpnders. One of the cars rarely goes through tolls so I hope they don't make this change. Sounds like they are trying to FORCE those who bought transponders to drop using tokens immediately. What a mess this whole process has been.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 08:16 PM   #66
Steve

That would really be bad, to change the terms and charge for non-use. Man, they have really bothced this all up. They obviously hadn't decided who was in charge of these decisions, and what the decisions even were. What a mess.

I also read today that supposedly some road projects are now being put on hold due to the "extra expense" the State is covering for subsidy on the transponders. Come on, it's only been live a week or two, and they are already blaming this program...Who knows.

I thought this state was better than this crap.

Last edited by Steve; 07-21-2005 at 10:49 PM.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:26 PM   #67
DRH

We went through the Bedford tolls on the Everett Turnpike this evening on our way back up to the lake. I think a sign several miles before the toll booths said "EZ-Pass Left Lanes", but when we got to the toll plaza only the middle lane (lane 4) accepted EZ-Pass. There wasn't much traffic at that time so getting into lane 4 was no problem, and our new EZ-Pass transponder worked fine ... it's first usage.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:23 AM   #68
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve

I also read today that supposedly some road projects are now being put on hold due to the "extra expense" the State is covering for subsidy on the transponders. C
Is this what you were refering to? http://www.thewmurchannel.com/index.html
Old 07-26-2005, 12:47 PM   #69
jimbob1603

Default Save time & money? Not.

What a mess! This whole project makes NH look like it was the first state to ever install this system. There are other states I would expect to 'make a mountain out of a mole hill', but not NH. Whats going on here?

How could this whole project result in an expendature?

Isn't one of the many benefits of this system to grossly reduce the number of toll-collectors on the payroll? I'm sure the unions are not happy with the new technology, but life progresses. Just how many (or how few) permanent/full-time & part-time jobs were eliminated by this system?

Is EZPass charging too much to install & maintain the operation in NH? What are other states paying to have their systems managed?

What was the idea behind the original concept of the state subsidizing the cost of the transponders to the masses? I'd love to chat with the state's marketing firm behind this idea! Supply & demand rules still apply in 2005!

Why have the remainder of the toll roads in NH not activated their EZPass lanes? The toll's EZPass, for quite some time, appear to be ready for use. If the EZPass company can't handle the user load, maybe NH should consider an alternative vendor.

Who in the State is in control of this project? Listening to the radio & TV news reports about the EZPass system, I get the impression that every elected political figurehead in Concord wants to take credit for this project. I don't know why; the whole things looks like an embarassment. I won't be at all surprised if some House sub-committee decides to investigate the mess.

Lets get this puppy running!

Last edited by jimbob1603; 07-27-2005 at 10:24 AM.
jimbob1603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 02:21 PM   #70
SIKSUKR

Default More lanes

Saw this today on WMUR.http://www.thewmurchannel.com/news/4838900/detail.html
Old 08-11-2005, 02:38 PM   #71
Orion

Question EZ Pass "working"?

Since it has been implemented on 93, I have had the opportunity to use it serveral times in each direction. It's not working as smoothly as it could. Perhaps drivers are still confused and maybe the signs are not large enough or clear enough.

Non-EZ-Pass drivers are still driving right up to the toll and changing lanes at the last minute. This effectively clogs the access to the EZ pass lane and creates dangerous lane changes as well.

People still stop in the EZ pass lane to wait for a green light. ???

Too bad they didn't implement the systems I've seen in TX where you don't even slow down and the transponders work at 65 mph in any lane.

The most recent state to implement and yet appears to be poorly done in spite of available lessons-learned from other states. At least we got it, so I'm only mildly complaining.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 04:11 PM   #72
islandAl

Default more lanes needed in Hookset

They should have two dedicated lanes and at least one should be on the far left to avoid the confusion and the late lane changes. The other between the exact change and the operator assisted lanes.
High speed lanes would be nice but I doubt if we will see them any time soon.
islandAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 04:24 PM   #73
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Angry EZ-Pass being audited.

http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...074/-1/CITIZEN

Here is the link to an audit of the system. If I remember correctly then Gov. Benson couldn't understand why it cost about 1.3 million dollars a year to run EZ-Pass when the current system only cost $375,000 a year. As a financial analyst, I agree. When you don't need the tokens which cost manpower to implement and reducing the number of people to collect the coins and get them ready for the bank(s) as well as less toll takers, automation should be cheaper, not more expensive. Maybe that is why the discount is 30% rather than 50%. I did a little study on the EZ-Pass company that handles the account, they are pretty fat cats living pretty high on other people's money. I'd say, screw the company and let the state run the system.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:31 PM   #74
Mee-n-Mac

Thumbs down Lane confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion
Since it has been implemented on 93, I have had the opportunity to use it serveral times in each direction. It's not working as smoothly as it could. Perhaps drivers are still confused and maybe the signs are not large enough or clear enough.

Non-EZ-Pass drivers are still driving right up to the toll and changing lanes at the last minute. This effectively clogs the access to the EZ pass lane and creates dangerous lane changes as well.
People still stop in the EZ pass lane to wait for a green light. ???
{snip}
We see this all the time. Certainly part of it is the confusing signage. They must have asked the military on what to put on the signs. You know instead of "Don't step here" you get "Step, no" Part of it stems from the changable center lanes. (VarneyPoint way above is correct) You have to have varying electronic signs to indicate which lanes are open and handle EZ Pass/exact change/anything. Given the lane(s) aren't "full speed", they should have made a dedicated EZ Pass lane on the far right and segregated the traffic sooner. At least put dotted lines and writing on the road, "EZ Pass only !" a ways before the toll booth. I think this would be clearer than the present signage.

ps - $5/account/month in these computerized days ?!? Hmmm ... isn't this the same NJ company that their attorney general investigated and sent management to the crossbar hotel ?

Last edited by Mee-n-Mac; 08-11-2005 at 06:38 PM.
Mee-n-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 05:56 PM   #75
Lin

Coming back from NH last Sunday the first tolls were tied up some while the non-transponders found their way to other lanes. My husband has said they need two dedicated lanes with a major size sign on the top of the plaza so you can read it coming down the road. I don't think it's the people with the transponders that are messing up traffic as much as others that don't know the dedicated lane. They just see that greenlight and head right for it, then they're too close and too jammed up to get out of the way. It does help though now that they have those little purple ezpass signs up top of the booths.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:18 AM   #76
gtxrider

Default I feel your pain

We have had EZPASS here for several years and people are still confused as to which lane is EZPASS. There is no consistency on the Garden State Parkway as to which lane is EZPASS. Why not make the LEFT LANE EZPASS since those are supposed to be the fastest. This would at least limit those who don't have EZPASS to only having to move to the lane on their right.

You can have all the signs in the world but there are some that do not see past their radiator cap when the drive.

Welcome to progress.
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 11:39 AM   #77
ghfromaltonbay

Default I agree, GTXRider

I know someone here in NJ who informed me that she can't read signs and drive at the same time. YIKES!!

Not only is it confusing when the EZ Pass lanes aren't consistent, but with so many SUV's and trucks on the road it's often impossible to see far enough ahead to the tollbooths and their respective colors, lights, signage when you drive a sedan. You have to wait till the large vehicles in front of you move aside to see what lane has what features. I just heard on TV that 55% of the vehicles on the road are SUV's -- that makes us sedan drivers a minority.

I like the practice they have started on the Garden State Parkway of painting the booth numbers or EZ PASS ONLY LANE right on the pavement about 1/4 mile before the toll plaza. This helps us sedan drivers especially where the geniuses put the toll plaza on a curve in the road instead of a straightaway.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:15 AM   #78
Orion

Wink "help" is on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfromaltonbay
.....I just heard on TV that 55% of the vehicles on the road are SUV's -- that makes us sedan drivers a minority.
With gas going over $3/gal soon, things are likely to change.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 07:56 PM   #79
jkjoshuatree

Talking I Know...

I here ya on that one!!!
Old 10-20-2005, 10:56 AM   #80
jimbob1603

Default Toll Tales

Has anyone heard any results of the NH House investigation of the transportation department's toll system?

I'm sure most folks have calmed down regarding this mess; now that summer is over & the situation is somewhat stabilized. But, many questions regarding the marketing, implementation & administration of this system remain to be answered.

Last edited by jimbob1603; 10-20-2005 at 12:51 PM.
jimbob1603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 04:40 AM   #81
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob1603
"...What was the idea behind the original concept of the state subsidizing the cost of the transponders to the masses? I'd love to chat with the state's marketing firm behind this idea! Supply & demand rules still apply in 2005!
Weren't these bought a long time ago by the state? I read elsewhere that it was a battery-life question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob1603
Isn't one of the many benefits of this system to grossly reduce the number of toll-collectors on the payroll? I'm sure the unions are not happy with the new technology, but life progresses. Just how many (or how few) permanent/full-time & part-time jobs were eliminated by this system?
Most states' employees are "Civil-Service Employees", which means...the State would have to pay them to work a different job with the State. (Say, issuing swim raft decals ).
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote