Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 05:54 PM   #1
dpassmore25

Default What will this small amount of snow do?

My house is near the village kitchen and I would love to ride to the castle trails instead of trailering this weekend. I assume ambrose is safe to cross from reading the ice in thread. Anyone have input?
Coming up from Mass.
Thanks
dpassmore25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpassmore25 View Post
My house is near the village kitchen and I would love to ride to the castle trails instead of trailering this weekend. I assume ambrose is safe to cross from reading the ice in thread. Anyone have input?
Coming up from Mass.
Thanks
Not sure about over by the castle but there is almost no snow left in the area.
We are forecast to get above freezing tomorrow then up to 50 on Wednesday with heavy rain. I seriously doubt there will be much riding south of the White Mountains until we get another snow storm.
Another terrible winter.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:16 AM   #3
hilltopper

What will this small amout of snow do? That's easy...it will melt tomorrow!
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:14 AM   #4
RLW

Smile

The new snow is in the process of melting right now, I should say the snow that is in the sun is melting as I key this in. The temp on Alton Mountain in the sun is 47.8 and going up as this is being inputted. With this happening now I would say the snowmobiling is a null discussion.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:07 PM   #5
sky's

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW View Post
The new snow is in the process of melting right now, I should say the snow that is in the sun is melting as I key this in. The temp on Alton Mountain in the sun is 47.8 and going up as this is being inputted. With this happening now I would say the snowmobiling is a null discussion.
i think they should consider letting atv's use the trails? i am thinking about buying a new Can Am Outlander but there are very few trails around here to ride? i'm on Marvin rd good location to ride and would pay to use and maintain the trails. any positive feedback on riding ATVS around this area?
sky's is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2013, 04:31 PM   #6
Belmont Resident

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky's View Post
i think they should consider letting atv's use the trails? i am thinking about buying a new Can Am Outlander but there are very few trails around here to ride? i'm on Marvin rd good location to ride and would pay to use and maintain the trails. any positive feedback on riding ATVS around this area?
Nope! There is a place for ATV use during the summer. They do not belong on the snowmobile trails.
However you can install at $3k track kit, register it as a snowmobile and ride the trails as long as it meets the width requirements.
You will not find many snowmobilers that want to see them on the trails.
TJNed (01-30-2013)
Old 01-29-2013, 04:46 PM   #7
RLW

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
Nope! There is a place for ATV use during the summer. They do not belong on the snowmobile trails.
However you can install at $3k track kit, register it as a snowmobile and ride the trails as long as it meets the width requirements.
Thank you for saying the kind words even though I'm a owner of a ATV and a 2 seater Rhino I believe these units have there own place to be used. I have seen many 4 wheelers on my travels misuse trails and go to places they defiantly know that they did not belong (Signage). That last statement is not to be taken as all 4 wheelers cause problems as there are many, many that do not.
Belmont Resident (01-29-2013)
Old 01-29-2013, 04:57 PM   #8
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Quote:
Belmont,

The bigger problem is that Landowners do not appreciate the ATVs on their property. WE have enough trouble with "Snowmobilers" doing things to cause loss of trails.

sky's,

Your best hope for Winter riding may some day happen with the development of the ATV trail systems up in Pittsburgh and Berlin. They are working to open some LOOP trails that will get to more place than just being locked in a never end loop.

We have problems with several ATV riders in the Kona area tearing up the Loop trial in the Kona Forest. Not only that but they are illegibly riding on the street , coming from over a quarter of a mile from the Forest entrance. Both "Sports" have that small percentage of people that can ruin it for everyone.

If your serious about the CAN AM, I would start at DaSilva's.
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WINNOCTURN For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (01-29-2013), RLW (01-29-2013), sky's (01-29-2013)
Old 01-29-2013, 05:47 PM   #9
Belmont Resident

Name:  DSC02681.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  164.8 KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW View Post
Thank you for saying the kind words even though I'm a owner of a ATV and a 2 seater Rhino I believe these units have there own place to be used. I have seen many 4 wheelers on my travels misuse trails and go to places they defiantly know that they did not belong (Signage). That last statement is not to be taken as all 4 wheelers cause problems as there are many, many that do not.
I wouldn't own anything but a UTV. The first year I got my RZRs I put 1500 miles on it.
We pack for any weather and include a grill and all the food & drink we need for a whole day on the trails.
We ride in Maine where there are not just loops but hundreds of miles of trails.
Our longest ride was 198 miles, not planed, we got lost because a sign was missing.
Oh and our dogs love to ride along with us.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:57 PM   #10
sky's

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINNOCTURN View Post
Belmont,

The bigger problem is that Landowners do not appreciate the ATVs on their property. WE have enough trouble with "Snowmobilers" doing things to cause loss of trails.

sky's,

Your best hope for Winter riding may some day happen with the development of the ATV trail systems up in Pittsburgh and Berlin. They are working to open some LOOP trails that will get to more place than just being locked in a never end loop.

We have problems with several ATV riders in the Kona area tearing up the Loop trial in the Kona Forest. Not only that but they are illegibly riding on the street , coming from over a quarter of a mile from the Forest entrance. Both "Sports" have that small percentage of people that can ruin it for everyone.

If your serious about the CAN AM, I would start at DaSilva's.
i have herd that the atvs can tear up the snowmobile trail and i can respect that. can't help but think with the lack of snow that something could be done to use those trails for responsible riders. i have not purchased a atv yet but im getting close to pulling the trigger.
sky's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:33 AM   #11
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky's View Post
i have herd that the atvs can tear up the snowmobile trail and i can respect that. can't help but think with the lack of snow that something could be done to use those trails for responsible riders. i have not purchased a atv yet but im getting close to pulling the trigger.
I can feel your pain and years ago wondered the same thing. The problem is once you allow a machine to be registered for frozen trails who determines when they should not be used? It's a loose loose situation and as was mentioned MOST landowners do not want ATV's on their property regardless of weather it is a frozen trail or not.
Check out the side by sides before you buy. Much more versatile and adaptable to be ridden in almost all conditions. Yes more costly but IMHO well worth the cost. If you do the Polaris definitely has the upper hand on the Can Am. Can Am is faster but the Polaris has a much better suspension system for soaking up the bumps and keeping the wheels on the ground.
Up in Maine where we ride the ratio is growing every year with less and less ATV's and more UTV's.
There is nothing better then putting the roof on throwing on the rain gear and taking a ride on a rainy day instead of sitting at the camp.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:28 AM   #12
boat_guy64

Default ATVs

I am also very interested in purchasing an ATV. That said, I am an avid sledder and the ATVs absolutely destroy the snowmobile trails. During fishing derby weekend (when there is snow) the fisherman ride up and down the railroad and destroy the trails. They put huge ruts in the trails and make them dangerous. So, while I'm very Pro ATV and pro snowmobile, unfortunately, the two don't mix on the trails at the same time.

You should look into what is being done up north. If they get approval to connect all of the ATV trails together in Pittsburg, Errol, Berlin, Colebrook etc, it will be the largest ATV trail system in the U.S. (Even bigger than the Hatfield McCoy system) That will be a huge help for the economy up north.
boat_guy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to boat_guy64 For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (01-31-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 11:38 AM   #13
Belmont Resident

Default Really

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_guy64 View Post
I am also very interested in purchasing an ATV. That said, I am an avid sledder and the ATVs absolutely destroy the snowmobile trails. During fishing derby weekend (when there is snow) the fisherman ride up and down the railroad and destroy the trails. They put huge ruts in the trails and make them dangerous. So, while I'm very Pro ATV and pro snowmobile, unfortunately, the two don't mix on the trails at the same time.

You should look into what is being done up north. If they get approval to connect all of the ATV trails together in Pittsburg, Errol, Berlin, Colebrook etc, it will be the largest ATV trail system in the U.S. (Even bigger than the Hatfield McCoy system) That will be a huge help for the economy up north.
How many miles will it be? I know the trails we ride in Maine are all interconnected and you can ride hundreds of miles.
I may actually consider taking the ATV's home and riding in this state, BUT they would have to allow a wheel base of 60" before I could do that.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:01 PM   #14
boat_guy64

Default Some details

Sure is nice to see all of these towns, state and clubs etc... working together. They say several hundred miles of trails....

------------------------------------------------------------------------

ATV USE APPROVED ON SOME COLEBROOK ROADS
Supporters hope new measure helps make NH an ATV destination

JANUARY 15, 2013 - Paula Tracy writes about the outdoors for WMUR.com

COLEBROOK, N.H. - Colebrook selectmen have approved a request to open portions of roads on the eastern part of the town and into the town center for all-terrain vehicle use with automobiles beginning this spring.

Gorham town officials are looking at a similar measure as part of a larger effort to make the Great North Woods a national destination for ATVs.

Chris Gamache, director of the state bureau of trails, said Berlin, Pittsburg and now Stewartstown have passed measures to allow the riders access to stores, gas stations and restaurants from the trail to the road.

On Jan. 9, Colebrook joined in as well. About 80 attended a public hearing on the subject Dec. 19 where there was widespread support for the idea, he said.

With Jericho Mountain State Park in Berlin becoming the center for ATV riding in the state, a plan is now under way to develop a network of trails which will allow riders to travel from Berlin to Errol to Colebrook to Beecher Falls, Vt. to Pittsburg and loop back with connections between Dixville and Stark.

"It would be a several hundred-mile route if you did the whole thing," said Gamache.

"This would be a national draw for ATV riders. We have a lot of international attention from Jericho right now," he noted.

The selectmen agreed to open up roads after the spring thaw in Colebrook. Those roads include East Colebrook Road, Pleasant Street, Gould Street, Cross Street, Reed Road, Colby Street, Russell Road, Bear Rock Road, Brandy Lee Lane, Cree Road, Bill Bromage Drive, Depot Street and Lombard Street.

Gamache said he met last week with Gorham selectmen, who are looking at their roads and ATV map and may have something in place there in time for the spring.
boat_guy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to boat_guy64 For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (01-31-2013)
Old 02-06-2013, 05:56 PM   #15
robbsracingengines

I am an avid ATV rider. I used to ride snowmobiles also. For many years I had both. After years of disappointment in the lack of snow and/or the expense of traveling to the far north country to ride, I gave up on snowmobiling. Its awesome, but it just doesnt snow enough in the southern half of the state, where I live, to warrent owning one anymore. I cant afford to spend the money to travel to the Burg to ride. With an ATV I can ride anytime I want. Snow just adds to the fun. There will always be the bickering about what ATVs do to the trails. In the winter I ride trails that are both ATV and snowmo trails. But out of courtesy to the snowmobilers I wont ride them on the warmer days. If its over freezing 32 degrees I go to the ATV trails. If snowmobilers chose to ride there and the trails are all train tracked from the ATVs they have no reason to complain. There ATV trails. I have been to many places on days when its 30 degrees out with a dozen ATVers and you cant even tell we were there. So its not fair to say that they ruin the trails always. Ive seen many trails ruined by sleds.
robbsracingengines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:53 PM   #16
trfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbsracingengines View Post
I am an avid ATV rider. I used to ride snowmobiles also. For many years I had both. After years of disappointment in the lack of snow and/or the expense of traveling to the far north country to ride, I gave up on snowmobiling. Its awesome, but it just doesnt snow enough in the southern half of the state, where I live, to warrent owning one anymore. I cant afford to spend the money to travel to the Burg to ride. With an ATV I can ride anytime I want. Snow just adds to the fun. There will always be the bickering about what ATVs do to the trails. In the winter I ride trails that are both ATV and snowmo trails. But out of courtesy to the snowmobilers I wont ride them on the warmer days. If its over freezing 32 degrees I go to the ATV trails. If snowmobilers chose to ride there and the trails are all train tracked from the ATVs they have no reason to complain. There ATV trails. I have been to many places on days when its 30 degrees out with a dozen ATVers and you cant even tell we were there. So its not fair to say that they ruin the trails always. Ive seen many trails ruined by sleds.

I hear ya robbsracingengines. It seems it's real hard to teach those there TrackSpinners, and they don't seem teachable in other life lessons either....

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:12 AM   #17
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
, BUT they would have to allow a wheel base of 60" before I could do that.
They all ready do up in Pittsburg and Berlin, right now they're really the only places to ride atv's that have good atv trails. My buddy has a Razor and so does a few of his buddies and they ride a a few times during the summer.